HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

New Knight: Justin Taylor 4a in 1st OHL Game

Old
01-04-2007, 10:27 PM
trahans99

vCash: 500
New Knight: Justin Taylor 4a in 1st OHL Game

Anyone see this Justin Taylor kid before? He's 17 and was drafted in the 5th round by Belleville in the 2005 OHL draft. Played Jr A this year with 55 pts in 37 games (i think) and in his first OHL game tonight against Peterborough got 4 assists in a 6-4 win.

Is he draft eligible in 2007 draft or 2008 NHL draft?

I'm curious because i've seen him play a few times a few years ago and new he was good, but didn't know how good he'd be at the OHL level and beyond.

trahans99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

i know he was going to go ncaa route but hes a local kid i believe?the pickup from what ive understood was more for depth and for next season rather than for this year

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 04:23 PM
trahans99

Yeah I thought he was going to go the NCAA route, so why give that up now? I know he's from London, my cousins played on the same team a few years ago.

Is he draft eligible for 2007 or 2008 and what are his chances of getting drafted?

Old
01-05-2007, 04:39 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahans99 View Post
Yeah I thought he was going to go the NCAA route, so why give that up now? I know he's from London, my cousins played on the same team a few years ago.

Is he draft eligible for 2007 or 2008 and what are his chances of getting drafted?

Taylor was taken in the 6th rnd by Kingston in 2005. He mentioned going to NCAA if he ended up in Kingston he did not want to play there.

Went over to Tier 2 Wellington Dukes ( Trevor Kell ) waiting to go to US school, but a deal was formed by the Fronts and Knight's sending a 5th for Taylor who now comes home to London .

Should of been a higher pick in 05 but teams stayed away not wanting to risk a no show. He made it clear early he wanted to play near home or would not play any OHL.

He had a good night in Peterborough but you have to average out what he does over 20 games. Plymouth tonight will be far more formidable.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2007, 04:40 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Taylor was taken in the 6th rnd by Kingston in 2005. He mentioned going to NCAA if he ended up in Kingston he did not want to play there.

Went over to Tier 2 Wellington Dukes ( Trevor Kell ) waiting to go to US school, but a deal was formed by the Fronts and Knight's sending a 5th for Taylor who now comes home to London .

Should of been a higher pick in 05 but teams stayed away not wanting to risk a no show. He made it clear early he wanted to play near home or would not play any OHL.

He had a good night in Peterborough but you have to average out what he does over 20 games. Plymouth tonight will be far more formidable.

ps. he is the same age as Gagner so yes this is his draft year, good choice to get to London and now work on getting better real quick before draft.

Old
01-05-2007, 06:09 PM
trahans99

Thanks, I didn't realize he was going to NCAA if he wasn't on the Knights roster.

Whats his chances at getting drafted this year then?

And I know 1 game doesn't make a players status, the rest of the season will determine whether he gets drafted or not. But he is off to a great start w/ the Knights.

Old
01-08-2007, 03:10 PM
ringetterox15

hunter does it once again...he must be a smart guy!!

ringetterox15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
ps. he is the same age as Gagner so yes this is his draft year, good choice to get to London and now work on getting better real quick before draft.
Any idea where he is ranked for this upcoming draft? I've never even heard of this kid, could be a real steal this year, if someone takes a flyer on him.

Also, any rumours on wether or not London plans on acquiring some depth for a playoff push, since Kitchener and Owen Sound have made moves recently.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Sinbad32

Taylor

Justin Taylor has played the last season and a half with the Wellington Dukes of the OPJHL. The Dukes have been rated in the top 10 in Canada all season and currently hold third place in the 35-team OPJHL. As a 16-year-old last season he was named the teams rookie of the year.

In the 37 games with the Dukes this season, Taylor put up 20 goals, 32 assists and 36 PIM. He started the season as the second-line center, but took over the first-line position around the beginning of November.

Taylor has good wheels, imagination and vision with a high energy level. In the OP his speed made up for a relative lack of physical robustness, so Taylor may find the grind of the bigger, faster bodies in the OHL a bit of a problem. However, Justin is still only 17 and has lots of time to bulk up.

It was rumoured he had at least 3 D1 NCAA offers on the table when the Knights acquired his rights and he made the decision to forgo the US college route in order to play for his hometown Knights.

His departure has left a large hole in the Duke's front line which they will not be able to compensate for this season.

Good luck to Tails in London and let's all hope he doesn't end up getting shuffled off to Jr B.

Sinbad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 09:20 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeafErikson View Post
Any idea where he is ranked for this upcoming draft? I've never even heard of this kid, could be a real steal this year, if someone takes a flyer on him.

Also, any rumours on wether or not London plans on acquiring some depth for a playoff push, since Kitchener and Owen Sound have made moves recently.

It may be a very good trade for London he is part of ' the plan ' for next year. His draft status was not going anywhere with The Dukes but could climb in London playing with some good puck handlers.

He will get lots of looks from many scouts I imagine for teams picking in later rounds.

With Kosty, Gagner and Kane in here now he will be suited up with a good line mate putting up numbers. If his draft status climbed by March is would not surprise me he is pretty good.

Old
01-11-2007, 11:24 AM
RUSqueelin

Quote:

He is not ranked as of now. But he will be at the end of the year playing with Gagner and company. This kid is good and will rip up the league next year with Gagner and Kane.

Will go down as one of the best trades Mark Hunter ever made.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:41 PM
STS44

Quote:

Knights did the right thing in laying back this season. Kept there good young players intact and will be the team to beat in the OHL next season. Sarnia and Erie will be the year after that. Taylor will be a good 2nd line player for them and I would imagine was big reason Hasani was traded. Knights depth at center is pretty now with Gagner,McRae,Taylor and Clarke - with all returning next year.

STS44 is offline   Reply With Quote