HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The TRUTH behind the "Luongo Trade"...

Old
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra View Post
Dont owners agree on the trades that the GM makes? Or atleast get a notice of it?
It depends what the parameters of authority an owner gives a GM. Some owners give a GM carte blanche while others want to be consulted on every little move.

However a deal put together and signed off by a GM even if he does not have actual authority from the owner is still a deal per NHL rules.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It depends what the parameters of authority an owner gives a GM. Some owners give a GM carte blanche while others want to be consulted on every little move.

However a deal put together and signed off by a GM even if he does not have actual authority from the owner is still a deal per NHL rules.
makes sence....

Canucks19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
Because it's been widely reported that Ottawa offered a better package, and if I was a Panthers fan, I'd be upset.

I mean really, if Ottawa had rejected the Spezza and Chara offer from the Islanders for Yashin because they didn't want him in their conference and taken something like Keith Carney and Stan Chistov from the Ducks, I'd be upset...
Yeh well tough luck, i was saying that they should get over it.... just like how i got over rory getting screwed out of a 2nd spot... but i geuss it was all for a good reason...

Old
01-11-2007, 01:02 AM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
You obviously never saw bertuzzis interview about that when he was questioned.
Right. Bertuzzi is the perfect saint. He would never lie.

01-11-2007, 02:37 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Forget the locker room stuff. He was paid big money yet wouldnt backcheck to save his mothers life, didnt put up good numbers for a player who is all offense, didnt provide physical play, took tonnes of stupid penalties.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Randall Graves*

That's just pure stupidity on the part of the Panthers, if your going to do that why not just fire Keenan? jeez.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Laus723
Future Now

I guess Keenan, or apparently Luongo, doesn't read the newspapers since there were articles out about the fact that Martin was the one in talks with Louie for days before they decided to trade him?

This isn't the truth, it's one side of the story. Martin, Keenan, Cohen (owner), and Louie all have sides. Again, the thing that's in main speculation is whether Keenan and Cohen knew Keenan was going to make the Vancouver trade, or if they were expecting him to take the supposed Ottawa offer.

01-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I guess Keenan, or apparently Luongo, doesn't read the newspapers since there were articles out about the fact that Martin was the one in talks with Louie for days before they decided to trade him?

This isn't the truth, it's one side of the story. Martin, Keenan, Cohen (owner), and Louie all have sides. Again, the thing that's in main speculation is whether Keenan and Cohen knew Keenan was going to make the Vancouver trade, or if they were expecting him to take the supposed Ottawa offer.
Thats the thing, they all agreed to a contract, that was never discused that luongo accepted the contract but hours later, Keenan had traded him, not they (gm, coach, owner) it was keenan...

Old
01-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks19 View Post
Thats the thing, they all agreed to a contract, that was never discused that luongo accepted the contract but hours later, Keenan had traded him, not they (gm, coach, owner) it was keenan...
Dunno. It came out here that Louie agreed to a contract and then Lupien called Luongo and said he thought they should ask for more since Florida wasn't going to give in to Louie's demands about the goalie coach, his backup, etc. Luongo said OK and when Lupien called Martin, he, Cohen, and Keenan all agreed it was time to trade him.

Like I said, though, that's the Panthers side. I don't mind Luongo not being here, I just wish they would have gotten more for him. Though, it is hard to judge the trade with Bert being injured right now.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

The owner could have said "no" anywhere, anyplace, anytime to that trade. And stop the trade from happening.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Canucks19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The owner could have said "no" anywhere, anyplace, anytime to that trade. And stop the trade from happening.
So then why were things done in such a secretive manner... and why did keenan step down as GM..... it all seems suspicous to me.... and i don't think that most GM's tell owners about a trade... because frankly all the owners really care about is $$$ and as long as that is there.... i think they just tell the GM to do whatever he wants.... like Glen Sather... also look at Doug McLean he hasnt even got columbus in the playoffs yet.... but attendance is always sold out...