HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brad Watson has become the worst referee in hockey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2007, 06:08 PM
  #76
Crosby87.*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
But it's still a bad call either way that cost them a goal and in that it is a fair comparison. Oilers didn't do anything wrong on the glove pass that wasn't but it cost them a goal. The Thoreson interference that should've been called directly led to a goal in a game that was decided by one goal. All I'm saying in that post was that fans shouldn't point the finger at another fan base for referee criticism when they did the same thing.
Only difference is that the Sharks still had still had all game to get more goals. In the Edmonton game it was last second.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:12 PM
  #77
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosby87. View Post
Only difference is that the Sharks still had still had all game to get more goals. In the Edmonton game it was last second.
Edmonton had all game to get that goal that didn't count in the last minute so don't hand me that lame argument.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:16 PM
  #78
dabeechman
Registered User
 
dabeechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,747
vCash: 500
Ironically Watson ref'ed the last kings/oilers game in which left many a fan and even bob miller scratching his head on obviously bad calls.

He lost that game for the kings in OT when hemsky pulled norstrom down in the defensive end. Hemsky got the puck and slotted it to Hejda for the win. Same play. Should have been a holding penalty, but instead turned into an odd man rush, and the GW goal.

That guy is garbage.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
  #79
tinfoilcup
Registered User
 
tinfoilcup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 880
vCash: 50
I remember Watson calling a penalty shot against the Leafs in the playoffs on a phantom call at the end of the game some years ago and i've hated him ever since. Funny, I can't even remember anything about the game besides the blown call. You know it's bad when the only thing you can remember is how the ref screwed you over.

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:33 PM
  #80
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16 View Post
I know. And that's the root of the problem IMO. I'm almost leaning towards going back to a single ref, because I don't see any other way around it.
The game is too fast for a single referee. That was one of two main reasons for the change to the 2-ref system, along with having a second pair of eyes on the ice. Players are faster than ever these days, and even though officials must pass their fitness testing, no one guy can keep up going end-to-end for a full game.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3rinE View Post
i hope they dont make these soft call in the playoffs..i hope they just let these guys play
Are you kidding me? You're advocating ignoring penalties in the playoffs? This is what pissed fans off for so many years, and why the NHL went to the no-tolerance standard of officiating.

If the referees let up, they will not advance in the playoffs. That is their incentive to keep the standard tight.

I will not comment on SteveL's comments until he spells Mick McGeough's name right. The fact he shows that disrespect to the man shows he is biased in his comments.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
  #81
Sinistrophobia
Registered User
 
Sinistrophobia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
The bottom line is this:

Most of the opinions coming from Sharks fans on this matter are going to be bias. Some other fans, however, can deal with the fact that the Sharks still lost. THey had plenty of oppurtunity to score, but couldn't get it done. Missed oppurtunities are what killed the Sharks, and that's the plain and simple truth.

Of course, the officiating seemed one-sided last night. The calls on SJ, for the most part, were legit, with the exception to the call on Nieminen, IMO. Although 'bad officiating' happens every night according to mostly biased fans, it's the JOB of the refs to call a good game. The argument that the refs are human does not make much sense for the simple fact that it's what they do for a living. Although partially irrelevant and off base, it's almost like having a scientist find out the cure for cancer only to later discover it causes another fatal disease, and than sayin "oh, well..he's only human". I am in no way blaming the refs for the loss last night(from a Sharks fans POV), but there were certainly some missed calls.

Not to get too specific, but the missed interference call on Bell directly led to a goal. It was a flat out illegal pick. Of course, however, the Sharks had PP's later in the game that could have easily tied the game. Heck, they even nearly scored on the PK, missing only by a couple inches. Blaming the refs is far and away the most common way to deal with a loss, and although it may seem logical at the time, it's completely illogical.

After seeing some people actually use the word 'conspire' in last night's GDT, I was really confused. It's just not clear to me how someone can possibly say that without just stopping and laughing at the simple idea of it.

As for the broadcasters as somebody referred to, I agree. Hahn can be bad at times, but he usually is pretty normal. McSorley, however, really gets on my nerves. He just doesn't seem to be cut out for the job. I vote bringing Jaime Baker up to work with Hahn....or just move the radio crew up to do the TV

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
  #82
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
I watched the game on Center Ice and it was the Sharks broadcast and i cant tell you that the reason why Shark fans are pissed is because McSorley bad mouthed the refs every time he spoke. Hahn even said the all the penalties to the Sharks were correct but he wished it would be more even. Well, hello!? The Oilers did nothing through the first two periods to deserve a penalty so there should not be anything wrong with what Brad Watson called. The puck that wasn't covered and the whistle blew anyway? Watson lost sight of the puck and all refs are instructed to blow the play dead when that happens so nothing wrong about that. McSorley is why your pissed.

End of Discussion.
I watched this game on CI too and I agree with you. McSorley is a ****** and is a horrific color commentator. The PBP guy is pretty bad too.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
  #83
Equinox
 
Equinox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
The officiating in the NHL is by far the poorest and most unprofessional of any major sports league, hands down. It is terribly inconsistent and in my mind there needs to be something done about it. I can understand an official missing a hook behind the play or not seeing a small slash. But, when absolutely nothing happened and they call a phantom penalty where opposing players have no idea why there was a call, then there is a major problem. Another thing is the Balancing of penalties. What makes referees think they can just "Even" out the powerplays in a game? Thats a huge corruption right there. A referee should officiate the game 1 infraction at a time. They should not be worrying about how many penalties one team has already taken. If they keep breaking the rules, you keep calling penalties. The other team should not be treated any differently because of the way the opposition is acting. That is what happens in the NHL, and it needs to be corrected. For a loyal supporter of the National Hockey League, this behavior by officials is absolutely unacceptable. Its a cancer in the game.

Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
  #84
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain
 
Blades of Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 18,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMoZ View Post
I watched the game on Center Ice and it was the Sharks broadcast and i cant tell you that the reason why Shark fans are pissed is because McSorley bad mouthed the refs every time he spoke. Hahn even said the all the penalties to the Sharks were correct but he wished it would be more even. Well, hello!? The Oilers did nothing through the first two periods to deserve a penalty so there should not be anything wrong with what Brad Watson called. The puck that wasn't covered and the whistle blew anyway? Watson lost sight of the puck and all refs are instructed to blow the play dead when that happens so nothing wrong about that. McSorley is why your pissed.

End of Discussion.
LOL the bolded part is how I know you didn't watch the game. Don't make **** up and attempt to act neutral, because your avatar gives you away.

The game is over, the officiating is in the past. The Sharks had no business losing that game, they played fantastic, but Roloson won the game for Edmonton in the end. If a goalie is standing on his head and the officiating is not giving you calls, you just swallow the loss.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 07:47 PM
  #85
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
The officiating in the NHL is by far the poorest and most unprofessional of any major sports league, hands down. It is terribly inconsistent and in my mind there needs to be something done about it. I can understand an official missing a hook behind the play or not seeing a small slash. But, when absolutely nothing happened and they call a phantom penalty where opposing players have no idea why there was a call, then there is a major problem. Another thing is the Balancing of penalties. What makes referees think they can just "Even" out the powerplays in a game? Thats a huge corruption right there. A referee should officiate the game 1 infraction at a time. They should not be worrying about how many penalties one team has already taken. If they keep breaking the rules, you keep calling penalties. The other team should not be treated any differently because of the way the opposition is acting. That is what happens in the NHL, and it needs to be corrected. For a loyal supporter of the National Hockey League, this behavior by officials is absolutely unacceptable. Its a cancer in the game.
You know what? I have heard a lot of complaining this season and last season from ignorant fans about the referees not keeping the number of powerplays even. I hear it all the time, "how can we win when the refs give them so many powerplays and none to us."

NHL officials have the toughest officiating job in pro sports. Hockey is, by far, the fastest game on the planet. The only officials who have it near as tough are European soccer officials. That is because the players dive a ton more than hockey players do, so it's almost impossible to tell if a foul actually occurred when you call one. That, and European soccer fans can be flat out crazy and stupid. European soccer officials need to worry about the physical safety of themselves and their families, and that is just wrong.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your post.

BCCHL inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:01 PM
  #86
Equinox
 
Equinox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van View Post
You know what? I have heard a lot of complaining this season and last season from ignorant fans about the referees not keeping the number of powerplays even. I hear it all the time, "how can we win when the refs give them so many powerplays and none to us."

NHL officials have the toughest officiating job in pro sports. Hockey is, by far, the fastest game on the planet. The only officials who have it near as tough are European soccer officials. That is because the players dive a ton more than hockey players do, so it's almost impossible to tell if a foul actually occurred when you call one. That, and European soccer fans can be flat out crazy and stupid. European soccer officials need to worry about the physical safety of themselves and their families, and that is just wrong.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't read your post.
You didn't address my point. All you did was claim how hard the officials job is. I 100% agree that it is very difficult, but there is no excuse for calling penalties that players from both teams do not understand. The thing that ****es me off is the fact that they call things that never happened. Also, *** do European soccer officials have to do with the NHL. Don't bother posting half a thread of unrelated **** that does nothing to help your point.

Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2007, 08:12 PM
  #87
Crosby87.*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
I actually lol'd when at the soccer officials being brought into the argument. I scared my cat I laughed so hard.

Crosby87.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.