HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 34: Preds vs Blackhawks | 7:00 PM CST | Fox Sports TN | Are we STREAKING again?!

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
NorthAlPredfan

vCash: 500
Hopefully that's our last PK for tonight.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:02 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Time to step up.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
mmmm ... maybe we're back to Cullen on the point of the 2nd PP unit and the whopping four to eight seconds of PP time the players you mention have is the result of setting lines for the post PP play. Context means a lot and crushes the "fun" portion of the fact.
I know, it's just funny to think about. I'm not implying (or at least meaning to imply) those three were getting serious PP time.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:06 PM
NorthAlPredfan

No shots on goal in the first six minutes of the third period....Good night everybody!

Old
12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I know, it's just funny to think about. I'm not implying (or at least meaning to imply) those three were getting serious PP time.
Jones had a great run early in the season when on the top pairing. Weber hid and/or covered a lot of the rookie mistakes Jones made. Now, those mistakes are very evident. Just this period he gets the puck ... waits ... waits ... then shoots straight into the shin pads of a defender leading to a rush for the Hawks. It's that type of decision making that has him on the bench rather than the point of PP2.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:18 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
By the reigning Cup champions.... whod have ever thunk it?
not everyone if you would have read the handful of posters saying we would win wise guy.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Our offense is ****, the wagon line has dried up like it was expected too

Old
12-17-2013, 09:37 PM
INDhockeyfan

I don't know why Trotz pulls the goalie as we aren't any better with an extra man. Down 2 goals with less then a min to play and we just pass and pass . We don't have the time shoot the dam thing.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Talk about a crapfest tonight. The arena has been dead this season. Even weekend games.

Is it the losses? Did it start and carry over from last season? It wasn't like this in 2011 this time of year.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
They are expected to be secondary, actually more of tertiary, scoring. The offense from our top three lines was absent in the last two periods. 11 total shots, 8 from forwards, over the last 40 minutes ... four penalties (Stalbergx1, Benchx2, Hendricks x1) in the last two periods, all lazy behind the play type offenses ... a few defensive lapses thrown in on top of it. A horrible last 40 minutes leading to a loss .. it sucks but on to the next game.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:49 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
not everyone if you would have read the handful of posters saying we would win wise guy.
If the boys put in a 60 minute effort that mirrored the first period, they had a chance to win. They disappeared after the first intermission. The frustrating thing is that this team can compete with and beat anyone ... they can also disappear and suck more than an adult film star in a movie about prom night.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Highlight of the night? Nystrom got to 'dj' so-to-speak the pre-game warmup music. That's it.

He selected the songs and mixed them into a playlist. I didn't know any of the songs but wouldn't mind if he did that every game.

Better than Tag Team Whoomp! There It Is.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If the boys put in a 60 minute effort that mirrored the first period, they had a chance to win. They disappeared after the first intermission. The frustrating thing is that this team can compete with and beat anyone ... they can also disappear and suck more than an adult film star in a movie about prom night.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Oort Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
Oh no. Heaven forbid, a fan of a team actually thinking their team could win?

What a lame idea.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
You can single out the wagon line all you want... they had about 5 or 6 shifts as a unit all night long. Look at dead weight like Craig Smith and Colin Wilson, who Trotz trots out there in all these key situations that make a fan want to gouge out his mind's eye!

Old
12-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
What a horrible 3 min PP. Our 2nd unit sucks.
LOL, first unit doesn't exactly smell like raspberries either...

Old
12-17-2013, 11:37 PM
jntarheels

Wow, I knew it would be a tough one to win, tonight; but I thought we would have even put up a fight.
They got their goal early, but we got the bizarre face off violation penalty immediately following the goal and capitalized like we had to on the PP, to stay in the game and not let them build-up momentum!! Then a little bit of defensive mishap occurs and Kane scores a beautiful backhand that no one really could have stopped, although he should have never been able to carry the puck in that far... But that was the beginning of the end for is tonight!!

We played the last 40 minutes of the game, with our heads basically up our a$$es!! We couldn't pass, no shots on net for 7 and 8 minutes straight, no forcheck, no controlling the puck, and basically no emotion out of the team whatsoever!!

We aren't gonna beat Chicago every time, and definitely aren't gonna beat them 7-2; probably ever again!! But we have got to have more offensive output from our leaders and guys we should be able to count on and do a better job of controlling the puck and with that the game!!

Old
12-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntarheels View Post
Wow, I knew it would be a tough one to win, tonight; but I thought we would have even put up a fight.
They got their goal early, but we got the bizarre face off violation penalty immediately following the goal and capitalized like we had to on the PP, to stay in the game and not let them build-up momentum!! Then a little bit of defensive mishap occurs and Kane scores a beautiful backhand that no one really could have stopped, although he should have never been able to carry the puck in that far... But that was the beginning of the end for is tonight!!

We played the last 40 minutes of the game, with our heads basically up our a$$es!! We couldn't pass, no shots on net for 7 and 8 minutes straight, no forcheck, no controlling the puck, and basically no emotion out of the team whatsoever!!

We aren't gonna beat Chicago every time, and definitely aren't gonna beat them 7-2; probably ever again!! But we have got to have more offensive output from our leaders and guys we should be able to count on and do a better job of controlling the puck and with that the game!!
oh the conundrum of having "offensive output" ... our top 6 forwards are as follows with league rank beside them
Legwand 62nd with 25 in 34
Smith 144th with 16 in in 31
Wilson 153rd with 15 in 34
Fisher 188th with 12 in 27
Bourque 201st with 12 in 29
Spaling 208th with 11 in 30

Old
12-18-2013, 12:07 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
oh the conundrum of having "offensive output" ... our top 6 forwards are as follows with league rank beside them
Legwand 62nd with 25 in 34
Smith 144th with 16 in in 31
Wilson 153rd with 15 in 34
Fisher 188th with 12 in 27
Bourque 201st with 12 in 29
Spaling 208th with 11 in 30
Until this gets fixed, we'll never be contenders.

This means our #1-6 forwards should be, on average, the #3, #5, #6, #7, #7, and #7 on their team. That is so so sad.

Old
12-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
You can single out the wagon line all you want... they had about 5 or 6 shifts as a unit all night long. Look at dead weight like Craig Smith and Colin Wilson, who Trotz trots out there in all these key situations that make a fan want to gouge out his mind's eye!
Maybe should've gone with Eberle & Karlsson in the first round instead of the BFF's in Pickard & Wilson

And Smith ... nothing about that draft, got Bourque in that draft as well

Old
12-18-2013, 12:24 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Maybe should've gone with Eberle & Karlsson in the first round instead of the BFF's in Pickard & Wilson

And Smith ... nothing about that draft, got Bourque in that draft as well
I agree 100%, but hindsight is 20/20. 14 teams passed on Karlsson. Maybe every single team should have taken Weber in the 1st round. Hell, we passed on him twice for Suter and Klein. Drafting is a weird thing.

I was lobbying for Eberle on draft day, but it's very hard to know.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:04 AM
sparkle twin
That's Amore!

Nice for the Preds to show up for one period.

They played pretty well for the first period. When was the last time the Preds had 17 shots in a period, let alone the first period?

And it just seemed their heads were not in the game after the first period. There was no emotion out there, no aggression, passes weren't connecting, whiffing on shots, multiple stupid penalties, there was just not that little extra effort that was in the last 3 games.

Happy with the lack of red tonight. About 85% of the red was in the lower bowl so it was pretty pleasant tonight. Well, until the end of the game when all the drunk ones downstairs started running their mouths (to be fair, it wasn't a lot of them just a few 20something y/o guys that get drunk muscles). And just a random question, is the Hurley brand just getting to chicago? I saw so many chicago fans wearing Hurley hats and shirts, it was just kind of odd.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
Nice for the Preds to show up for one period.

They played pretty well for the first period. When was the last time the Preds had 17 shots in a period, let alone the first period?

And it just seemed their heads were not in the game after the first period. There was no emotion out there, no aggression, passes weren't connecting, whiffing on shots, multiple stupid penalties, there was just not that little extra effort that was in the last 3 games.

Happy with the lack of red tonight. About 85% of the red was in the lower bowl so it was pretty pleasant tonight. Well, until the end of the game when all the drunk ones downstairs started running their mouths (to be fair, it wasn't a lot of them just a few 20something y/o guys that get drunk muscles). And just a random question, is the Hurley brand just getting to chicago? I saw so many chicago fans wearing Hurley hats and shirts, it was just kind of odd.
I saw something odd as well ... I have to believe said Chicago fan was a real Star Wars geek ... made me lol, but the guys nameplate said ORDER & the number was 66 ... I kind of geeked out, probably should've gotten a picture of it.

Old
12-18-2013, 06:53 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

I'm done with this team. It's not fun going to the games anymore, even when we win like we did last week. When we lose it's even more unbearable. Do the same thing with the same results.

I can handle losing if the effort is there but that second period was atrocious as it gets.

Mental mistakes drive me insane. TWO too many men on the ice penalties against a team as good as Chicago on the PP? Then at the end of the game, we pull the goalie, draw a penalty and instead of giving them the puck to maximize the time on the PP with a two man advantage, since we pulled the goalie, we dink around with the puck for about 10 seconds around the boards until they finally touch it. It's little things like that that drive me crazy. I've seen the team do this in the middle of games on PP's, draw a second penalty and instead of just giving the other team the puck to start a 5 on 3, we waste time pulling the goalie and getting the sixth man out there. 5 on 3 is a better situation than 6 on 4 because of more space and better odds of finding someone open. All that said, the mental aspect of the game is lost on this too many times.

At one point, Chicago iced Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Sharp and Hossa. We countered with Weber, Josi, Fisher, Nystrom and Stalberg. Only Weber and Josi can hang with those guys. I was like, dang, there's an all-star team on the ice and then there's us. In the history of our franchise, I don't know that we could ever throw out 3 guys on one line as good as those three and then you still had Kane sitting on the bench.

Until Poile learns that you need to draft super talented forwards we won't succeed. You can have guys that can score AND play a solid two way game. Look at Hossa and Toews. Two of the best. They have drive, the will to go to the hard areas, the ability to transition, the ability to back check, it's really a thing of beauty. Our guys are good defensively but have nowhere the ability on the offensive side of the puck to compete night in and night out with the best teams.

Hendricks takes that stupid penalty left in the second and gets more ice time last night yet if a younger player had done that they'd still be sitting on the bench this morning as punishment from Trotz. You can't have it both ways. If a kid messes up he sits, if a vet messes up, he plays. It's either they both sit or they both play.

Jones? Really? Take him off the PP? Let's see, he can skate, pass, shoot and basically is a very talented player yet he's sitting on the bench on the PP after we watch the unit struggle? Really Trotz? Ekholm is sitting on the bench? Bourque is sitting on the bench? How many grinders do you need in a lineup to be successful? All of them? Let's just call up all the grinders from Milwaukee and the defense corp as well and just play grinders and defensemen, no more offensively talented players up front. Let's hope we get a lucky bounce from center ice and it goes past the goalie and then we sit back and play d for the rest of the game.

We are boring. We don't finish checks. We don't play a full 60 minutes. I thought to myself, good first period but Chicago wasn't even in high gear yet. They came out and took it to us the last 2 periods. You can't do much when there is no effort and you're sitting in the box way too much.

I'm over this crap. I really am. I'm hanging with one of my best friends at the game last night and all I wanted to do was head home. Probably because I'm not feeling well either but still, I used to go to games when I was sick with fevers and feeling 10 times worse but it's hard to spend the time driving to the game, money on parking, money on the game, money on dinner and then the drive home for the product on the ice. We're average. We've been average for years. Making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first and second round is average anyway we want to look at it. We're on the downward slope right now and while we have our moments, they are further and further away. There is no excitement. There's not one player that I get excited to see play on this team. That's pretty sad. I have no idea what Poile and Trotz are thinking but this is a disaster and as much as I've defended Poile over the years, there comes a time when the game has passed you by. While they can build a good team, they haven't been able to build a dominant or elite team and this is going nowhere fast. Oh well, I'll sit from home and watch for a while. I thought I was getting my passion back for going to live games but games last night just leave a big sour taste in my mouth and it's just not worth it anymore. I don't think I'll be going back until Trotz and/or Poile is gone to be perfectly honest. You guys enjoy the games, I know I can't.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

10 points out of a playoff spot (going to go ahead and let that sink in).

Season is done boys. Fire Trotz, dump poile, and shed the extra weight on this team. It's time to accept who we are: a bottom feeder this year. I want to completely gut the front office and restart. Might as well included the communications department in there for the horrifically bad videos the past two years.

"But Roman Yoshi, we'll suck and sometimes the pasture isn't greener on the other side blah blah blah"

******** I say. We suck now. I'd rather suck with a new direction, new horizons than suck with the same old garbage.

This isn't a contender, this isn't even a playoff team. This is a lottery team. So let's accept that and start making the personnel decisions that lottery teams make. If trotzky won't play the youth, ship his ass out of here. If Poile won't trade away the redundant pieces on this team, his ass can follow.

I will be going to monday's game against Boston and will be cheering FOR Boston even though they are my second team. Why? Because they play hard. Because they make the hard decisions of who to keep and who to shed. Because I like their style of play. And because I am sick of the Predator way.

Closed Thread