HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Science
Science A place to discuss natural, formal and applied science topics such as chemistry, physics, biology, logic, engineering, etc.

Heavy marijuana use leads to poor memory and abnormal brain structure

Old
12-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Heavy marijuana use leads to poor memory and abnormal brain structure

Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone who has known someone who is a heavy marijuana user but science, yo!

Link 1

Link 2

This study was in teenagers though and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is due to the brain still developing.

Quote:
Teens who were heavy marijuana users -- smoking it daily for about three years -- had abnormal changes in their brain structures related to working memory and performed poorly on memory tasks, reports a new Northwestern Medicine® study.
Note: This is not a 'bash marijuana' thread. Also, the sample size is relatively small i.e. n=97.

12-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170

Marco Esquandolas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡° ᴥ͡°)

vCash: 50
People in Vancouver can't seem to forget that we haven't won a cup yet. That study is bull...

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
CBC (or CTV, can't remember) had an article a while ago on their site about the same thing. Doctors interviewed did say it's because the brain is still developing.

12-16-2013, 11:14 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Bah. This will be heavily scrutinized for its "link" to Schizophrenia. Just so we're clear, this is what I'm talking about:

Quote:
Chronic use of marijuana may contribute to changes in brain structure that are associated with having schizophrenia, the Northwestern research shows. Of the 15 marijuana smokers who had schizophrenia in the study, 90 percent started heavily using the drug before they developed the mental disorder. Marijuana abuse has been linked to developing schizophrenia in prior research.
First, here's a definition of a Schizophrenic:

Quote:
Schizophrenia (/ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfriːniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by impaired emotional responses.[1] Common symptoms include delusions, such as paranoid beliefs; hallucinations; disorganized thinking; and negative symptoms, such as blunted affect and avolition. Schizophrenia causes significant social and vocational dysfunction. Symptom onset typically occurs in young adulthood, with a global lifetime prevalence of about 0.3–0.7%.[2] Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and the patient's reported experiences.
So the diagnoses is characterized by anything and everything. A quiet teenager who's paranoid about his parents going through his stuff could fit the bill. What teenager is not socially dysfunctional? Moreover, its diagnosed by reporting and professional observation, which has its flaws.

Its no secret that teenage potheads are rebellious, isolated, quiet, "obsessively" hungry, and invent strange ideas such as the classic "what if aliens created video games to control our minds?". Teenagers are emotional wrecks when not on drugs, so now impair their judgment a little and trip 'em out and of course they'll seem a little Schizophrenic at times.

Secondly, these weren't guys used to smoking marijuana.
Quote:
The groups in the study started using marijuana daily between 16 to 17 years of age for about three years. At the time of the study, they had been marijuana free for about two years. A total of 97 subjects participated, including matched groups of healthy controls, subjects with a marijuana use disorder, schizophrenia subjects with no history of substance use disorders, and schizophrenia subjects with a marijuana use disorder. The subjects who used marijuana did not abuse any other drugs
So they were marijuana free for 2 years, meaning they started at 14-15 years old, then quite, then started up again 2 years later while under observation. Yeah, they're probably not handling it well. I too would be tripping balls if a team of scientists were watching me smoke marijuana at 16 years old in the state of illinois.

Lastly, this was published:
Quote:
In the U.S., marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug and young adults have the highest -- and growing -- prevalence of use. Decriminalization of the drug may lead to greater use.
Decriminalization?? I smell an agenda.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice 31 View Post
CBC (or CTV, can't remember) had an article a while ago on their site about the same thing. Doctors interviewed did say it's because the brain is still developing.
I love being right .

So, if I remember correctly, the brain isn't fully developed till about the age of 25. What happens to people who 'smoke daily' after that age? I'm assuming they may still show poor memory and correlated abilities but the brain development aspect wouldn't be an issue?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 11:26 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I love being right .

So, if I remember correctly, the brain isn't fully developed till about the age of 25. What happens to people who 'smoke daily' after that age? I'm assuming they may still show poor memory and correlated abilities but the brain development aspect wouldn't be an issue?
Medically speaking:

They get lazy, fat from cheetos, in consumer debt because of the cost of X-box titles, and they stop shaving and dressing well

Last edited by MarkGio: 12-16-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Stoner spelling error
Old
12-17-2013, 08:02 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Medically speaking:

They get lazy, fat from cheetos, in consumer debt because of the cost of X-box titles, and they stop shaving and dressing well
Can't forget that they stop showering as well.

Came across a couple interesting articles recently about Marijuana and Alzheimers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/marijuan...ow-alzheimers/

Quote:
“I’ve been trying to find a drug that will reduce brain inflammation and restore cognitive function in rats for over 25 years; cannabinoids are the first and only class of drugs that have ever been effective,” he told Time Magazine.
http://www.truthonpot.com/2013/07/09...-slow-disease/

It seems MaryJ could actually slow down the effects of Alzheimers at the very least. All still theoretical obviously.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 11:41 PM
agropop

Forgot what I was going to say...

agropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Not that this should come as a surprise to anyone who has known someone who is a heavy marijuana user but science, yo!

Link 1

Link 2

This study was in teenagers though and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is due to the brain still developing.

Note: This is not a 'bash marijuana' thread. Also, the sample size is relatively small i.e. n=97.
Exactly. It all depends on when you start. If you start smoking blunts a day at the age of 13 or 14 you're going to feel the effects a lot when you're older. If you start smoking a half bowl a night early in your 20s, you won't have as many lingering effects. They'll likely be minor.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Exactly. It all depends on when you start. If you start smoking blunts a day at the age of 13 or 14 you're going to feel the effects a lot when you're older. If you start smoking a half bowl a night early in your 20s, you won't have as many lingering effects. They'll likely be minor.
But people, like it or not, grow dependencies to it. No matter what age they start at.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Explains why I cannot remember peoples names for the life of me I meet people and forget their name ~ 20 seconds later. Its either this or the alcohol. Or that I generally don't pay attention during the "nice to meet you" conversation.

I figured my high school years would come back to haunt me!

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
Explains why I cannot remember peoples names for the life of me I meet people and forget their name ~ 20 seconds later. Its either this or the alcohol. Or that I generally don't pay attention during the "nice to meet you" conversation.

I figured my high school years would come back to haunt me!
Realistically, it's probably a combination of all 3.

Personally, I find it helpful to repeat their name. For example, they say "Hello my name is John" and I'll parrot it back like "Nice to meet you, John" and that helps to remember names.

Old
12-19-2013, 02:03 PM
MarkGio

There are ways to help your memory. Little games you can play and techniques you can use. But still, I'm sure it becomes "blunted" by the use of marijuana

Old
12-20-2013, 12:01 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
I love being right .

Who doesn't start losing their memory as they get older?

12-20-2013, 12:04 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Bah. This will be heavily scrutinized for its "link" to Schizophrenia. Just so we're clear, this is what I'm talking about:

First, here's a definition of a Schizophrenic:

So the diagnoses is characterized by anything and everything. A quiet teenager who's paranoid about his parents going through his stuff could fit the bill. What teenager is not socially dysfunctional? Moreover, its diagnosed by reporting and professional observation, which has its flaws.

Its no secret that teenage potheads are rebellious, isolated, quiet, "obsessively" hungry, and invent strange ideas such as the classic "what if aliens created video games to control our minds?". Teenagers are emotional wrecks when not on drugs, so now impair their judgment a little and trip 'em out and of course they'll seem a little Schizophrenic at times.

Secondly, these weren't guys used to smoking marijuana.

So they were marijuana free for 2 years, meaning they started at 14-15 years old, then quite, then started up again 2 years later while under observation. Yeah, they're probably not handling it well. I too would be tripping balls if a team of scientists were watching me smoke marijuana at 16 years old in the state of illinois.

Lastly, this was published:

Decriminalization?? I smell an agenda.
you are really stretching if you think a pothead teenager will be mislabeled a schizophrenic if he is evaluated by any competent mental health professional. It takes far more than being a little moody and and socially retarded to be diagnosed as a schizophrenic

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Who doesn't start losing their memory as they get older?
Not at the age of 25.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Kyle93
call me blastoise

Quote:
But people, like it or not, grow dependencies to it. No matter what age they start at.
I call bull. I started smoking weed when I was 19 (almost 2 years ago) smoked multiple times a day for a year. I just decided to stop last may and haven't had any urge (physical or mental) to do it since.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
I call bull. I started smoking weed when I was 19 (almost 2 years ago) smoked multiple times a day for a year. I just decided to stop last may and haven't had any urge (physical or mental) to do it since.
There may be some people who don't, of course. Some people do heroine and they'll never do it again but others, do grow a psychological dependency to it even if it isn't 'addictive'.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:16 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Not at the age of 25.
Eh that can be argued.. Life's a big roller coaster. Your brain goes up.. hits its peak.. then back down deteriorating it goes.

I find alcohol more harmful to your body, long-term, at any age then marijuana.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:19 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
studies have shown that heavy pot smokers do have withdrawal symptoms but because of the long half life of THC they are milder than some other substances that produce withdrawals like nicotine

Old
12-20-2013, 12:22 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Eh that can be argued.. Life's a big roller coaster. Your brain goes up.. hits its peak.. then back down deteriorating it goes.

I find alcohol more harmful to your body, long-term, at any age then marijuana.
depends on how much of each is used over what time period.

one to two glasses of red wine a day actually has a net beneficial effect.

One to two blunts a day has no such positive effect.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:23 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you are really stretching if you think a pothead teenager will be mislabeled a schizophrenic if he is evaluated by any competent mental health professional. It takes far more than being a little moody and and socially retarded to be diagnosed as a schizophrenic
Not as much as a stretch as you think:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1779873/

Quote:
Recent reports in the media have called for schizophrenia to be “abolished as a concept” because it is scientifically meaningless.1 This is not the first time that the validity of this diagnostic entity has been challenged, and it will not be the last until the cause of the disorder and its precise pathophysiology are known.

The current system of psychiatric diagnosis cannot describe definitive disease entities because of our inability to demonstrate “natural” boundaries between disorders.
1) Misdiagnosis of schizophrenia in bipolar patients

2) Misdiagnosis of schizophrenia in anti social personality disorder patients

3) Misdiagnosis of schizophrenia in epileptic patients

4) Misdiagnosis of schizophrenia in manic patients

5) Misdiagnosis of schizophrenia in Asperger patients

Old
12-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Kyle93
call me blastoise

Quote:
studies have shown that heavy pot smokers do have withdrawal symptoms but because of the long half life of THC they are milder than some other substances that produce withdrawals like nicotine
Meh I would say a year is long enough to test that out, and for me doing it multiple times a day every single day and to not have any kind of withdrawal symptoms just doesn't go along with what you're saying.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:24 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
depends on how much of each is used over what time period.

one to two glasses of red wine a day actually has a net beneficial effect.

One to two blunts a day has no such positive effect.
I disagree.

One or two blunts a day would probably reduce your blood pressure, relax you, possibly even help your lungs.

There are beneficial aspects to marijuana smoking, hence why it's legal medicinally.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote