HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs win 3-1! Pacioretty with a post/crossbar hat-trick! + 2 goals

Old
12-18-2013, 12:20 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Can we choose none of the above? How does conjuring up unwanted images of bad players make Ribeiro any better? That guy was an embarrassment to the uniform. And here he is tonight chirping about something he does all the time. He can gtfo.
Maybe don't fall for reactionary media trash? How many times are you (we) going to fall for this cycle of incendiary reactions to non-issues? It just begets more silly reactions. The mike shouldn't have been in Ribeiro's face to begin with.

And you know what? Celebrating an empty-net goal is a ******** move, I'm all for Patches doing it (I would too) but it doesn't make it any less of a ******** move.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Thaaaaank you, lol, I thought I was literally the only one who sees this on a regular basis too.

If you think he's an excellent passer, you don't pay very close attention to the game. It's not his game right now? It's not his game, period. It doesn't matter if his center is "pass-oriented" or not, if Max was any kind of a playmaker, DD would probably have a couple more goals this year. He's a sniper. He's a guy that will score you a lot of goals (and you need those guys). His playmaking ability however leaves a lot to be desired.
BS. DD can't shoot and rarely even gets himsef in a position to shoot.

Conversely Max would have a lot more assists if he had a center who could keep up with him off the rush

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:22 AM
habscup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
BS. DD can't shoot and rarely even gets himsef in a position to shoot.

Conversely Max would have a lot more assists if he had a center who could keep up with him off the rush
Max can never settle a puck down to make a nice pass on the rush it seems, he's got really bad hands when it comes to passing..

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Disagree, the difference in offense between the 2 players is more than the difference in defense. Patches has improved his 2 way play this season.

Overall, the best forward (and not just scorer) is Pacioretty.
Pacioretty is actually a very good 2-way player, but all of his games like this so far this year have been playing a one way, exploitation role.

The numbers show he is our best possession driving forward, but his production has mainly come because of the heavy lifting by Plekanec and Eller that has allowed one line offensive freedom.

I would still say Plekanec is more important because he's the only proven factor on this team who can get you over 50 points while still putting defense first, but both are needed right now if this team is to be relevant at all.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Of course Galchenyuk is going to be our best forward in the future but right now it's more between Plekanec and Pacioretty... and Pacioretty is better.
No, he's not better than Plekanec. Not yet at least. Plekanec is an amazing player. Give him a declined veteran that can barely score anymore, a sophomore center, or grinders, and he will not only produce but still effectively shutdown top opponents. He will get the tough zone starts. He is arguably one of the best PK player in the NHL.

Plekanec is our best forward overall. No question about it. Probably why he's still getting the most ice time among forwards too btw.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
And you know what? Celebrating an empty-net goal is a ******** move, I'm all for Patches doing it (I would too) but it doesn't make it any less of a ******** move.
Agreed. I'd be pissed about it too. Heck, fights in amateur leagues happen because one guy's celebration ticked off the other team. So if it happens in amateur leagues where winning literally means nothing, then I can imagine athletes at the NHL level getting annoyed by it too.
But hey, maybe the Yotes were chirping all game at MaxPac. We know Smith told him to watch the slewfoot, maybe they made fun of his for his 3 posts too, maybe they called him a vagina because he dropped his gloves only when the refs stepped in. Who knows.
So let's not even spend time discussing this really..

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Mr Rogers

I don't think Pacioretty's a terrible playmaker.He does try some weird **** from time to time though. Like that blind backhand pass to Prust through 3 PHX players lol.

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:51 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Gionta really, really, really need to find his shot back.

Man, when you are missing 2 feet off the net on a 2 on 1, something's deeply wrong with your shot.
You think at this point its ever gonna come back?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rogers View Post
I don't think Pacioretty's a terrible playmaker.He does try some weird **** from time to time though. Like that blind backhand pass to Prust through 3 PHX players lol.
Yeah that was comical

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Dive of the year to smith thus far.

Its these clear cut dives that the league never does anything about that makes certain players so shameless.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:24 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Agreed. I'd be pissed about it too. Heck, fights in amateur leagues happen because one guy's celebration ticked off the other team. So if it happens in amateur leagues where winning literally means nothing, then I can imagine athletes at the NHL level getting annoyed by it too.
But hey, maybe the Yotes were chirping all game at MaxPac. We know Smith told him to watch the slewfoot, maybe they made fun of his for his 3 posts too, maybe they called him a vagina because he dropped his gloves only when the refs stepped in. Who knows.
So let's not even spend time discussing this really..
Well put, for sure he got chirped and I guess he chirped back... doesn't make Ribeiro a disgrace for saying that it's a hot-dog move. At least he has a point: end of a home game, empty-netter... it's pretty lame. Carlyle had no reason to complain however

Anyway, I would be a huge ******** if I were a pro player. Hell, I'm a huge ******** in amateur Sunday-league games of any sport, even ultimate frisbee. This is also why I love the crap out of Lapierre, I'm a chirper at heart. But chirpers get heat on them and a target on their back - Patches is clearly not a saint. Ribeiro, another ********, pointing it out doesn't make it any less valid.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:35 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
The Yotes are the Devils of the East, they are very tough to beat, very quick transition and solid all around play, but if we work as hard, we should win since we are the better team on paper and thats what happened..
True true

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Poor first, great second and amazing third!!!!

Good thing Therrien benched Briere, the guy is by far the worst Habs right now..
My dad likes pretty much every Hab ever but he absolutely had nothing good ever to say about Briere. Last night he said maybe he'd like him if he EVER did anything. Weird to see him hate a player.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:26 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Pacioretty 3, Phoenix 1. Say no more!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Good effort from the team in the second half of the game and Price once again outstanding.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:37 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Good effort from the team in the second half of the game and Price once again outstanding.
I agree. For the first time in many weeks, they played well.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:45 AM
lostriver

Arpon Basu: "So it's been 323:44 since the #Habs scored a 5-on-5 goal. That's a long time." How do you like them apples?

lostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:47 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostriver View Post
Arpon Basu: "So it's been 323:44 since the #Habs scored a 5-on-5 goal. That's a long time." How do you like them apples?
That's 5 games...wow...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:03 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
That's 5 games...wow...
Alls I can say is that they played a good second half last night. Probably there best hockey in 3 weeks IMO and if they play a full game with that kind of effort, it won't be long till they score 5/5.
Having said that, you can see they need more help.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:18 AM
Jrham15

vCash: 303
They played like garbage on the faceoff dot no one was positive and Hanzal went like 13-3! But a good win altogether.

Jrham15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:51 AM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
When your coaching strategy is dump-and-chase that's probably going to happen.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Maybe don't fall for reactionary media trash? How many times are you (we) going to fall for this cycle of incendiary reactions to non-issues? It just begets more silly reactions. The mike shouldn't have been in Ribeiro's face to begin with.
I'm not falling for anything... Ribeiro's a turd and has been for a long time. This is just another example of it. So glad this guy has nothing to do with us anymore. Can't stand this guy and he's the only player I've ever been truly embarrassed to be in our lineup.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Tony Marinaro @TonyMarinaro 10h
Tonight, Michel Therrien really hurt Briere's chances of being on Team Canada at the Olympics......

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:15 AM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
In the 3 years before this one, Pacioretty had the higheset rate of primary assists per hour (5v5) on the team and his total assist rate just behind Desharnais. Better than ultra-pass first Desharnais or anyone else.

He's not getting them right now, perhaps not playing in a way that will create them right now, but to suggest he's constitutionally incapable of it is ludicrous.

When a guy actually can't set up a goal, he would look like Bourque.
Max Pac and DD are playing with Gallagher, and the good comes with the bad as they don't use his entire game to the line advantage :

1) He's rarely open for a setup play because he's got his nose in the middle of the traffic. Often his opportunities to score are garbage around to net, in the crease and deflections. He dosen't play a good perimeter game. So that is one less guy for Max to pass to.

2) He gets all the attention of at least 1 or 2 defenders when crashing the net and standing in the crease and that opens up ice for DD and Max Pac tandem, and we all know that Max Pac is the shooter and DD the passer. That opens up shooting lanes for Max Pac wich is scoring a plenty.

3) Max is often positionned on the side boards or high in the slot to use his shot, and often he tries to roof it, that is either hit or miss and low chances of actually creating a rebound or deflection for Gallagher, hence the former's scoring slump lately and the lack of assists by Max Pac.

4) Eric Cole played differently, he did not constantly crash the crease like Gallagher does, he was sometimes on the perimeter, opened up for a pass, and sometimes he did crash the net. He had a much more complete game. DD and Max Pac suffer from this. And I'm not saying Gallagher is bad, I'm just saying he doesn't have a playstyle that's going to advantage him when playing with DD and Max Pac, unless they can find him with practice, set up different strategies and plays.

5) For the sake of the team put Gallagher back with Eller and Galchenyuk now that the DD - Max Pac duo is waking up. They don't use Gallagher anyway and you can get another player crashing the net like he does, that's not exactly hard to do, just have to endure the pain. While Gallagher is beneficial on this line for his partners, they aren't beneficial for him, he'll be just as good or even better for the team on the EGG line, Eller shoots low (sometimes should go high lol) and Galchenyuk is a much better playmaker than DD.

6) If they decide to keep them together I'd try some deflection setups in practices to get Gallagher going, or tell Max Pac to shoot it lower when there's traffic in front of the net, they need to use Gallagher's skillset better, then we can have that power line we had with Cole. We all wonder why we don't score often at 5v5, the Habs players constantly try to pick corners with their shots (mostly Plekanec, Max Pac and Bourque), that isn't always the best thing to do, unless your accuracy is Kovalev-esque. Subban is shooting some wristers through traffic and those go in more often, and that is playmaking in the sense that it creates something out of nothing, at that is what mostly happens when the Habs play at 5v5 (nothing). Max Pac has a heavy shot but it isn't exactly accurate, although lately he seems to have his timing back.

Last edited by SmurfsFTW: 12-18-2013 at 08:31 AM.
SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:22 AM
psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Tony Marinaro @TonyMarinaro 10h
Tonight, Michel Therrien really hurt Briere's chances of being on Team Canada at the Olympics......

lol that is awesome. Tony you a funny funny man

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote