HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
  #1
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 41,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
What Gear Will Get You "Chirped" At? (Part 2)

Thread hit 1k... let's get a new one started.

First Part


Last edited by Jarick: 12-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:09 AM
  #2
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Beer league equipment no-no's

What are some of the most chirpable equipment offenses you guys have seen in beer league?

For me it's definitely:

-Tinted visors
-Colored laces
-Colored blade tape
-Turtlenecks under jerseys (saw this more often during gretzky's time, thankfully not so much anymore)
-Wearing numbers such as 99, 66, 87, 68
-Wearing numbers like 0, 00, 69 (watch out guys! we've got a badass over here)
-Nicknames on the backs of jerseys instead of last names

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:21 AM
  #3
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N
 
Lonny Bohonos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,155
vCash: 500
Beer league equipment no-no's:

#1 - Complaining about other peoples "chirpable" equipment.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:38 AM
  #4
Gavy
Registered User
 
Gavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Beer league equipment no-no's:

#1 - Complaining about other peoples "chirpable" equipment.
This^

(except for mirrored visors)

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:33 AM
  #5
SaintTavares
Registered User
 
SaintTavares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Beer league equipment no-no's:

#1 - Complaining about other peoples "chirpable" equipment.


You win the thread.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:36 AM
  #6
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,619
vCash: 500
seriously. who the eff cares what equipment other people use? I'm more concerned about people who play like jerks, e.g., not passing, playing 3 levels down, cheap shots, 5 minute shifts etc.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:40 AM
  #7
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
seriously. who the eff cares what equipment other people use? I'm more concerned about people who play like jerks, e.g., not passing, playing 3 levels down, cheap shots, 5 minute shifts etc.
The two usually go hand in hand (wearing questionable equipment & playing like a d%$#).

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  #8
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
The two usually go hand in hand (wearing questionable equipment & playing like a d%$#).
heh, there probably is a positive correlation.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:12 AM
  #9
Curtinho
YNWA
 
Curtinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,889
vCash: 500
I don't get what the big deal is. I mean, we're not pros. I got chirped a bit from my own team because I wore white skates (the Bauer Supreme LEs) that I got from my wife as a gift. I think they look pretty cool.

As said above, if you're not being a dick it shouldn't really matter what you're sporting on the ice. It's supposed to be fun.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:49 AM
  #10
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I'm all for people expressing their individuality on the ice. If we all bought the same stuff it would be pretty boring. When I first started playing hockey in SoCal I had 1 store to buy from and that was at the rink I played at. No internet, no catalogues, they carried Koho so I wore Koho gear, Koho stick, Koho bag. Now we all have a lot of choices so go for it.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 11:25 AM
  #11
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
seriously. who the eff cares what equipment other people use? I'm more concerned about people who play like jerks, e.g., not passing, playing 3 levels down, cheap shots, 5 minute shifts etc.
yeah the two almost always go hand in hand

and jeeze guys i didn't intend this thread to be about "oh c'mon man quit judging other people's gear." it's all in good fun. i could care less if someone is playing in old, cheap gear but if you're wearing #87 and sporting a tinted visor you deserve to get chirped to no end

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:27 PM
  #12
SaintTavares
Registered User
 
SaintTavares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
yeah the two almost always go hand in hand

and jeeze guys i didn't intend this thread to be about "oh c'mon man quit judging other people's gear." it's all in good fun. i could care less if someone is playing in old, cheap gear but if you're wearing #87 and sporting a tinted visor you deserve to get chirped to no end
How does that affect your game or your life? It's one thing to be joking around with a buddy, but for what possible reason could you care about what someone else wear's when they play?

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:32 PM
  #13
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
How does that affect your game or your life? It's one thing to be joking around with a buddy, but for what possible reason could you care about what someone else wear's when they play?
you answered your own question

chirping someone's gear is pretty much the equivalent of joking around with a buddy. am i going to approach a guy after my game and say "hey nice pink laces (Mod edit)!" i think it's hilarious how uptight you all are about something that's simply part of the game


Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-18-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: filter issue.
Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:51 PM
  #14
Trebek
Mod Supervisor
 
Trebek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Folks, it's a fun topic - either take it in that spirit and have fun, or move on.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:05 PM
  #15
SaintTavares
Registered User
 
SaintTavares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
you answered your own question

chirping someone's gear is pretty much the equivalent of joking around with a buddy. am i going to approach a guy after my game and say "hey nice pink laces (Mod edit)!" i think it's hilarious how uptight you all are about something that's simply part of the game
Obviously it's not something that's "simply part of the game" if you seem to be the only one doing it. There's a difference between joking around with friends and making it seem like you're going after guys you don't know for simply what they are wearing. You didn't make the clear anywhere in your post.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
  #16
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Obviously it's not something that's "simply part of the game" if you seem to be the only one doing it. There's a difference between joking around with friends and making it seem like you're going after guys you don't know for simply what they are wearing. You didn't make the clear anywhere in your post.
i'm the only one chirping?

either you play in some sort of church league or you don't play at all. there's been chirping in every league i've ever played in, as a kid and now as an adult. it's all in good fun and in the spirit of competition on the ice only. i thought this was commonplace but i guess things have changed these days

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:13 PM
  #17
Inkling
"Let's win it all"
 
Inkling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
Wow, I'm impressed, a lot of people must play in the MTHL (Mother Theresa Hockey League). So, if I show up wearing #99, a tinted visor, and Ovechkin laces hanging down off my pants down to my ankles, everyone there is seriously going to say...."oh, what a nice chap, he's just expressing his individuality"?

I guess my contribution to the thread is the Ovechkin-esque laces hanging down off the pants (laces themselves are no big deal). Coloured laces on skates I don't see as a big deal. Coloured blade tape seems to be popular with some kids today.

Most chirping from your own team will be good natured, from the other team maybe or maybe not, but I agree it will ultimately depend on how you play.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  #18
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I'm all for people expressing their individuality on the ice. If we all bought the same stuff it would be pretty boring. When I first started playing hockey in SoCal I had 1 store to buy from and that was at the rink I played at. No internet, no catalogues, they carried Koho so I wore Koho gear, Koho stick, Koho bag. Now we all have a lot of choices so go for it.
Individuality is fine. Copying someone elses equipment & play style is the opposite of individuality.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:25 PM
  #19
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,328
vCash: 500
there is nothing wrong with individuality on the ice. but wearing #8 and sporting a tinted visor with yellow laces and tucking your jersey in is the furthest thing from that.

and it shocks me that most of you actually think that a scenario like the one i listed above is an example of "individuality" want to stand out in terms of style? pick a number that you rarely ever see. that'll make you stand out more than anything and in a much better way than a tinted visor will

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:01 PM
  #20
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
there is nothing wrong with individuality on the ice. but wearing #8 and sporting a tinted visor with yellow laces and tucking your jersey in is the furthest thing from that.

and it shocks me that most of you actually think that a scenario like the one i listed above is an example of "individuality" want to stand out in terms of style? pick a number that you rarely ever see. that'll make you stand out more than anything and in a much better way than a tinted visor will
Wearing a costume is one thing, having pink laces or rainbow gloves is another. I've seen my fair share of equipment where I thought to myself "why would you buy that" but I wouldn't yell at the guy because I don't care. The clear CCM helmets, one of the best guys I've ever played against had rainbow gloves, some of the guys who wear pink stuff do it as a salute to somebody they knew who had cancer.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
  #21
Trebek
Mod Supervisor
 
Trebek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
either you play in some sort of church league or you don't play at all. there's been chirping in every league i've ever played in, as a kid and now as an adult. it's all in good fun and in the spirit of competition on the ice only. i thought this was commonplace but i guess things have changed these days
There's not a lot of chirping in my rec league, although part of that may be because I hate that sort of thing and look for leagues where it's kept to a minimum.

I do remember once (back in the day, as it were), we were playing Metro State University and they had a player who was wearing #69. I started to get on him about it, and he clearly wasn't happy (among other things, he claimed that it wasn't his typical sweater).

Late in the game, we were losing 7-6, and he took a baseball bat-style swing at my head. I ducked, he got a major penalty, and we scored twice to win 8-7.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:39 PM
  #22
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Six
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,156
vCash: 879
I only chrip people if they have "lace hang". Jeez, you're not Evgeni Malkin! Same with those who want to have "cage hang".


Last edited by YMCMBYOLO: 12-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:49 PM
  #23
Maupin Fan
Hot Air
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
White gloves

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:02 PM
  #24
Nibbler
Registered User
 
Nibbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ambassador to Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 836
vCash: 137
I think you're free to chirp other guy's equipment choices if they are D bags.

If you're some whiny punk that's been hacking me all game, I'm definitely bringing up the fact that you are wearing white gloves and a mirrored visor, and you look like an ***hole

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:06 PM
  #25
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,574
vCash: 694
upside down socks,


the bell bottom look is so sad, and you will 100% get chirped "its not the 70's"

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.