HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn (no supplementary discipline to Wilson); Lecavalier update (12/19)

Old
12-18-2013, 07:45 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

vCash: 500
Analysts are saying 2 to 3 game suspension for Wilson. He's a rookie and Shanny will send a message

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Hiesenberg

So this isn't a bad hit because Wilson is strong? Interesting.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Such a blatant attempt to injure. He needs 3-5 games.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:53 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
Totally agree, Wilson never made the attempt to let up, if anything he took extra strides. Goonish move for a 19yr old

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Hiesenberg

I'm assuming we'll know this morning if he has a hearing or not. They typically make that decision quickly.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fletcher 29 View Post
Disagree completely. There is a big difference between attempt to injure and attempt to just lay a guy out. It was a big hit and definitely a charging call, but let's not pretend like Tom Wilson was trying to end anyone's career.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

For the people on the main board blaming Schenn for turning they don't realize that Wilson was charging in so hard that no matter where he turned it wasn't going to end well for him.

No reason to try and hit someone that hard below the goal line.

Will probably get 2-3 games but being a fourth line rookie I want him to get 6-7 games.

Rookies should get stricter punishments to weed them out right away IMO.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:11 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Sometimes ignoring stupid people posting stupid posts is best.

such a great option for these boards.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:15 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
For the people on the main board blaming Schenn for turning they don't realize that Wilson was charging in so hard that no matter where he turned it wasn't going to end well for him.

No reason to try and hit someone that hard below the goal line.

Will probably get 2-3 games but being a fourth line rookie I want him to get 6-7 games.

Rookies should get stricter punishments to weed them out right away IMO.
The thing of it all is, that the NHL want **** like this gone.

5-10 games for SOME players isn't a big deal. Hits like this auto-ban of 25 games, next time it's 60 then a lifetime ban.

People would think twice before going in for a hit to potentially kill or put someone in a wheelchair the rest of their lives.

I LOVE big hits, but this one was trash. I know for one we have been on the Wilson side of things. It's gross.

Having said all that I would be the first head hunting if this happened to one of my team mates.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Hiesenberg

NHLPA is really quiet on all of these suspensions. I'm very confused on where their stance is.

Wilson was suspended 5 games last year from a hit from behind.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:22 AM
tymed

Crazy that our own fans or any could say that wasn't suspension-worthy, especially in this league. Schenn may have put himself into additional danger by turning a but but still it was cleary charging, blatant disregard for a player in a vulnerable area and intent to injure as he's flying in and accelerates even ****in more through the hit. If theres no suspension, everyone can certainly expect an equally disrespectful retalliation at best next time.

That being said...I've seen Schenn throw a lot of dirty hits, maybe he had one coming his way. Not that this makes a difference.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:27 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Disagree completely. There is a big difference between attempt to injure and attempt to just lay a guy out. It was a big hit and definitely a charging call, but let's not pretend like Tom Wilson was trying to end anyone's career.
It certainly wasn't much of a hockey play though. You hit a guy to separate him from the puck, but the idea is still to be able to make a play on the puck after the hit. Wilson wasn't going to be able to do any of that with the speed that he came in with. I think it's pretty clear that all he wanted to do was stir the pot after a shift where a couple of his guys got whacked pretty good. I mean, he came up throwing bombs at Grossmann before Grossmann could even really get over to him. What else was he trying to accomplish?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:37 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
Crazy that our own fans or any could say that wasn't suspension-worthy, especially in this league. Schenn may have put himself into additional danger by turning a but but still it was cleary charging, blatant disregard for a player in a vulnerable area and intent to injure as he's flying in and accelerates even ****in more through the hit. If theres no suspension, everyone can certainly expect an equally disrespectful retalliation at best next time.

That being said...I've seen Schenn throw a lot of dirty hits, maybe he had one coming his way. Not that this makes a difference.
So now we are suspending guys for hitting players in a "vulnerable area" of the ice? He hit him clean in the shoulder while Schenn was turning away.

What types of hits are we trying to eliminate? I thought it was headshots and blindside hits, not any hit that looks like it was dangerous. Schen saw him coming, braced, and got hit in the shoulder. It was definitely a charging penalty, as most have said. But is charging now suspension worthy?

Again I ask, what types of hits are we trying to eliminate? More than just headshots and blindside hits? Any time a guy is in the corner? Just hits that look scary? Hits that result in injuries? What if Schenn got right up? What if Schenn hit Wilson instead of Wilson hitting Schenn?

Old
12-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Hiesenberg

I just unfollowed a guy that almost sounded like he was blaming Schenn 100% on that play. I can see an argument for it being unsuspensionable, but how do you blame the guy playing the puck and then getting smashed into the boards.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
So now we are suspending guys for hitting players in a "vulnerable area" of the ice? He hit him clean in the shoulder while Schenn was turning away.

What types of hits are we trying to eliminate?
Charging from the blue line in order to smash a guy into the boards is one of the types of hits that should be eliminated unless you are happy to see players get paralyzed.

As Meltzer said, it was a textbook reckless charge that deserves a suspension.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
It certainly wasn't much of a hockey play though. You hit a guy to separate him from the puck, but the idea is still to be able to make a play on the puck after the hit. Wilson wasn't going to be able to do any of that with the speed that he came in with. I think it's pretty clear that all he wanted to do was stir the pot after a shift where a couple of his guys got whacked pretty good. I mean, he came up throwing bombs at Grossmann before Grossmann could even really get over to him. What else was he trying to accomplish?
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. He was trying to stir the pot. Schenn also had the puck at the time so it's not like this was anything away from the play. He was trying to level Schenn, get his team juiced, and try to have his team come away with the puck. It didn't work that way, but I don't see an intent to injure anywhere in there.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

What types of hits are we trying to eliminate? I thought it was headshots and blindside hits, not any hit that looks like it was dangerous. Schen saw him coming, braced, and got hit in the shoulder. It was definitely a charging penalty, as most have said. But is charging now suspension worthy?

Again I ask, what types of hits are we trying to eliminate? More than just headshots and blindside hits? Any time a guy is in the corner? Just hits that look scary? Hits that result in injuries? What if Schenn got right up? What if Schenn hit Wilson instead of Wilson hitting Schenn?
I would say any overtly violent hit where making a hockey play is completely disregarded.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. He was trying to stir the pot. Schenn also had the puck at the time so it's not like this was anything away from the play. He was trying to level Schenn, get his team juiced, and try to have his team come away with the puck. It didn't work that way, but I don't see an intent to injure anywhere in there.
Coming from 100 feet away, at that speed, is an intent to hurt someone.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:55 AM
tymed

Quote:

No. "vulnerable area" must be the only two words you read there when i was talking about the entire context of the hit, it's certainly one of the type they are trying to revmove from the game no matter what wording or label you'd like to put on it.
You combine that vulnerable area of the ice with the most blatant fact that he accelerates through an already dangerous hit and the fact that even though Schenn started giving him his numbers, they are there and instead of letting up he accelerates and ****in demolishes the guy headfirst into the boards.

It's not as hard as you think to let up on a guys numbers even at the last second. He does the exact opposite by speeding up when he sees them and is probably looking at a suspension for it. If not, probably an injury next time.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:57 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Coming from 100 feet away, at that speed, is an intent to hurt someone.
It at least shows a level of recklessness that shouldn't be tolerated.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Hiesenberg

Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check and opponent in any manner.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:00 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
It was reckless as all hell, so I think that's what is going to get Wilson suspended. The league has a really hard time proving intent without any extra information at their disposal. If Wilson was caught saying he's going to hurt someone, then yeah, you could make the claim of his intent. But without that, the most they can pin on him is his complete lack of regard for another player's safety.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:17 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I think it's automatically dangerous because of Schenn's proximity to the boards. Regardless of whether or not he turned, he was in that danger zone, so it was going to be boarding. Add in the distance that Wilson traveled and it makes it that much worse. Definitely suspendable.

I gotta be honest, though....it didn't look that much different than most of the hits Rinaldo throws in terms of the speed and the collision.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:30 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:

YES, EXACTLY. Seriously, anyone who has been paying attention to Shanahan for the last few years should know that this is precisely what the league is trying to do. They do not want players making dangerous hits near the boards. Particular when the player being hit is in that dangerous zone 3-5 feet from the boards. And if the league doesn't get rid of these hits someone is going to die one of these days. Schenn is lucky not to have a broken neck from that.

If this hit happens in open ice I doubt if the subject of a suspension even comes up. But in that area of the ice, no question it comes up.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:31 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

No point in arguing about this. Some people will see it as suspendable, and some won't. I don't think it warrants a suspension, but it appears that opinion is not a popular one to have.