HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs win 3-1! Pacioretty with a post/crossbar hat-trick! + 2 goals

Old
12-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
Max Pac and DD are playing with Gallagher and have had most of their late successes with him. This little pest creates so much space as he crashes the net that :

1) He's rarely open for a setup play because he's got his nose in the middle of the traffic. Often his opportunities to score are garbage around to net, in the crease and deflections. He dosen't play a good perimeter game. So that is one less guy for Max to pass to.

2) He gets all the attention of at least 1 or 2 defenders when crashing the net and standing in the crease and that opens up ice for DD and Max Pac tandem, and we all know that Max Pac is the shooter and DD the passer.

3) Max is often positionned on the side boards or high in the slot to use his shot, and often he tries to roof it, that is either hit or miss and low chances of actually creating a rebound or deflection for Gallagher, hence the former's scoring slump lately and the lack of assists by Max Pac.
This may be the case currently, but I wouldn't suggest it necessarily must be the case for a line with both Pacioretty and Gallagher.

Last season Gallagher dined out on cross ice passes from Pacioretty, who was holding the puck on the fringes, to Gallagher who was getting himself open in the slot. Gallagher got a number of goals on that line I don't 51 was the primary assist on any of them.

Which I suppose suggests if you want two goal scorers on that line, you want more of Pacioretty holding the puck with the option to either pass, shoot or drive to the net from his set up on middle distance, rather than the straight forward passer, crease crasher, shooter set up you're describing.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Uber Coca

Montreal needs to find a way to play 60 minutes. First period was an embarrassment. Boys played much better the rest of the game. Also, we're not seeing the best of Subban right now.

Pheonix clearly lacks talent on its roster. Still can't believe Klinkhammer missed to open net.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Tyson

5 GWG for Pacioretty

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:02 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm not falling for anything... Ribeiro's a turd and has been for a long time. This is just another example of it. So glad this guy has nothing to do with us anymore. Can't stand this guy and he's the only player I've ever been truly embarrassed to be in our lineup.
Well, clearly, you might have a little bias against Ribeiro..

Not sure though..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:22 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Same celebration as the others recently.

Holstering his stick.

The same celebration Carlyle was mad about
I like it!! It's better than the Ovie and Malkin jumping into the glass kinda crap...what about Kadri and his Stanely Cup celebrating of goals?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I like it!! It's better than the Ovie and Malkin jumping into the glass kinda crap...what about Kadri and his Stanely Cup celebrating of goals?
Exactly! It's another of several different types of celebrations.
I heard Mike Smith was watching some old Ribeiro clips of when he was a Hab about how to properly dive. It worked last night.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
GIF of the year right here

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 09:59 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Exactly! It's another of several different types of celebrations.
I heard Mike Smith was watching some old Ribeiro clips of when he was a Hab about how to properly dive. It worked last night.
The dive by Smith last night, was of Hasek like flopping...I couldn't believe they did not give him a penalty to go with Max's...
As for Ribs, quite the entertainer he was in his day, glad he's gone...not that he's not a good offensive player, but a real poor type of character...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:00 AM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
Im 3-0 watching the habs @ the bell center this year
Go get some season tickets!

It might just be me but our play in our zone at times really makes me cringe.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

A couple of things:

- Brendan Gallagher is struggling to put up points. But look at our scoring chances tonight. Max's first post has Gallagher screening the goalie. He's right there in the crease on both Markov and Max's goal... Even when he's not producing points he's still helping us win. THAT's why this guy is held in such high esteem. Won't get the glory but he did a lot of the work.
This and more this. Im glad some people actually SEE this. the kid helps us in ways you cant see on a stat sheet.

Last edited by Redux91: 12-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Avengers

I will be damned. The Habs managed to pull off the win!

Avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Smoky Thompson

Well for the first 2 periods Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta was the only positive in the game, aside from a few Eller shifts. Luckily the team woke up in the third and went back to playing a possession game. No more dump and chase, or chip and chase.

I noticed how good Galchenyuk is at zone entries. He's able to get in and calm the play.

Eller played a good game as well. Almost scored a goal of the year lol. Worked hard on the forecheck, and was reliable defensively.

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No, he's not better than Plekanec. Not yet at least. Plekanec is an amazing player. Give him a declined veteran that can barely score anymore, a sophomore center, or grinders, and he will not only produce but still effectively shutdown top opponents. He will get the tough zone starts. He is arguably one of the best PK player in the NHL.

Plekanec is our best forward overall. No question about it. Probably why he's still getting the most ice time among forwards too btw.
I guess it depends on your preference because they are very close. As a person who values offense more than defense, I would give the advantage to Pacioretty. Without Patches, we don't score any goals and we're shut out vs Phoenix. As for his linemates, Pacioretty plays with DD so it's really unfair to say one has better linemates than the other one.

Pacioretty is close to a PPG forward, no one comes close to that on the team at the moment.

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
TravisF

It seems like Pacioretty has been the Habs best player the past week. I am glad he is on fire lately.

TravisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Bacchus1

They really did start playing better in the last two periods. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
They really did start playing better in the last two periods. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
St. Louis has several injuries right now, they are a great team but the Habs can win this game if they start off strong

Old
12-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I guess it depends on your preference because they are very close. As a person who values offense more than defense, I would give the advantage to Pacioretty. Without Patches, we don't score any goals and we're shut out vs Phoenix. As for his linemates, Pacioretty plays with DD so it's really unfair to say one has better linemates than the other one.

Pacioretty is close to a PPG forward, no one comes close to that on the team at the moment.
Without MaxPac, Gallagher probably is moved back with Eller. Maybe the EGG line is reunited and they provide our offense as they have before. Plekanec and Eller probably both get more PP ice time, perhaps that creates more.
Let's stop pretending like MaxPac is our only offensive tool. Who knows what would have happened. We've won games before without him.

Yes, MaxPac plays with DD, he also has Gallagher, our only top 6 player that crashes the net. Watch the goals yesterday, figure out who's in front causing issues.
But that's not just the point. That line is also used versus weaker opponents, and have more offensive zone starts. They also get the benefit of #1 PP wave.
Don't be dishonest, everybody knows the DD line gets much more offensive opportunities than the Plekanec line.

But yes, it's close. However, when speaking of overall, I feel Plekanec is still more valuable to us which makes him the #1 forward imo.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote