HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn (no supplementary discipline to Wilson); Lecavalier update (12/19)

Old
12-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanon View Post
Wow, it's amazing if Schenn is feeling OK right now
Him and his brothers heads are made of a steel carbon fibre honeycomb composite... only explanation after that and Luke last year.

That would also explain their play!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If Schenn comes away from this without any injuries I'll be convinced he's replaced his bones with foam and rubber. That impact was ugly as hell.
The human body works in mysterious ways.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Why would he apologize for a clean hit?

Oates and McPhee should be ashamed of themselves.
Well we don't know the context of the conversation between the two. I don't think that necessarily means he feels guilt of a dirty hit there.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Hiesenberg

Spoke too soon. Wilson has a 12 noon hearing tomorrow.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
Quote:
If Schenn comes away from this without any injuries I'll be convinced he's replaced his bones with foam and rubber. That impact was ugly as hell.
yeah he is extremely lucky if he did come away unhurt. still doesnt change the fact that Wilson is a moron.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:27 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Dave Isaac @davegisaac
He needs to sit for 10 days. The concussion that gave me PCS was asymptomatic for 7 days. Then I got headaches, light & sound sensitivity, and messed up the focal point of my vision. I can be hit in head with a nerf ball now and get those symptoms back 3 days later. I wear a plastic bump now most of the time.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Spoke too soon. Wilson has a 12 noon hearing tomorrow.
Phone or in-person? I'm assuming phone.

12-18-2013, 01:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Phone or in-person? I'm assuming phone.
McKenzie didn't specify but my guess would be phone as well.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
He needs to sit for 10 days. The concussion that gave me PCS was asymptomatic for 7 days. Then I got headaches, light & sound sensitivity, and messed up the focal point of my vision. I can be hit in head with a nerf ball now and get those symptoms back 3 days later. I wear a plastic bump now most of the time.
He apparently doesn't have a concussion & may play Thursday's game.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The rules in hockey are based on general societal rules; it's not like hockey is played in a vacuum, completely separated from the "real world".

I didn't say intent doesn't come into play outside of hockey. Intent is difficlut to prove; if you can prove it, it adds to the punishment. I don't think Wilson intended to hurt Schenn, but the result warranted the penalty during the game and probably a suspension.

You don't punish individuals for intent-only outside of hockey, nor should you in hockey. Whether a player is injured or not should come into play.
To begin with, hockey is played in a vacuum completely separated from the real world. The rules of our world do not apply in the hockey world. I can get into a whole legal debate with you about the way intent plays into civil and criminal laws if you like, but there is an entire field of law dedicated to "intentional torts" (like battery, assault, false imprisonment, etc) which have different rules than unintentional torts like negligence. Guess what the difference is? In order to be liable for intentional torts, you have to intend to commit the tort. Now, there are different standards for what "intent" means throughout, but again, that is a different discussion.

There are also crimes that involve intent as well that have similar differences in rules that do not involve crimes of intent.

EDIT: Also, in hockey you don't have to "prove" anything. Shanahan makes a call and if you don't like it, you appeal if you are able. In other words, it is nothing like the real world outside of hockey.

Quote:
Intention and the result are both considerations. My sister-in-law was hit by a car when she was a kid. There was no "intent" on the part of the driver (the driver was careless), but the fact that she was seriously injured played a significant role in the punishment of the driver.
Absolutely, and I'm sure the driver had to pay a good amount of money to your sister for her injuries. That is how the legal system works. That is not how the NHL works. Tom Wilson is not liable to Brayden Schenn for any injuries. He is not redressing an injury. He is being punished for an injury that could have just as easily not happened (and seems like didn't happen). Why should the punishment be different?

Schenn looks fine...now is this a one game suspension instead of five?

Quote:
Then how many games should Kessel have received for swinging his stick at John Scott? He was using his stick as a weapon, he just didn't happen to cause injury. Based on your arguments of intent over result, Kessel should have sat for a while. Kessel caused no harm, so I don't think he deserved a suspension. Whereas Wilson probably didn't want to hurt Schenn, but Schenn was forced to leave the game, clearly sustaining an injury.
TBH, I didn't see the Kessel incident, but if he was doing what it sounds like he was doing, then absolutely he should have been suspended. That is punishing for the act, not the result, which is how it should be. If I were Shanahan, I would have suspended him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Curufinwe

I would give Schenn the next 10 days off to be safe. He'd only miss three games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well we don't know the context of the conversation between the two. I don't think that necessarily means he feels guilt of a dirty hit there.
Well he should. That's why he was penalized and thrown out of the game. Because it was a dirty hit.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Hiesenberg

Phone hearing.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 0
im going to guess 2 games. Just for the fact that he was acting stupid.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Jtown

Schenn actually said he feels stronger from the hit and now has a better understanding of the game of hockey.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:07 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
To begin with, hockey is played in a vacuum completely separated from the real world. The rules of our world do not apply in the hockey world. I can get into a whole legal debate with you about the way intent plays into civil and criminal laws if you like, but there is an entire field of law dedicated to "intentional torts" (like battery, assault, false imprisonment, etc) which have different rules than unintentional torts like negligence. Guess what the difference is? In order to be liable for intentional torts, you have to intend to commit the tort. Now, there are different standards for what "intent" means throughout, but again, that is a different discussion.

There are also crimes that involve intent as well that have similar differences in rules that do not involve crimes of intent.

EDIT: Also, in hockey you don't have to "prove" anything. Shanahan makes a call and if you don't like it, you appeal if you are able. In other words, it is nothing like the real world outside of hockey.
I noticed a small error on my part. Obviously you can be punished for intent-only. In the example of, say, attempted murder. However, the punishment is more severe if you succeed in your attempt, which is what I was driving at.

Re: your edit. How is appealing unlike the real world? In many cases if the judge hands down a sentence, you can appeal. Hockey isn't exactly like the real world, but the Department of Player Safety is structured similarly to a real world process.

Quote:
Absolutely, and I'm sure the driver had to pay a good amount of money to your sister for her injuries. That is how the legal system works. That is not how the NHL works. Tom Wilson is not liable to Brayden Schenn for any injuries. He is not redressing an injury. He is being punished for an injury that could have just as easily not happened (and seems like didn't happen). Why should the punishment be different?
I'm not talking about any money my sister-in-law received. I'm talking about the suspended license that the driver received as a result of the seriousness of the incident. If my sister-in-law walks away unscathed, the driver probably doesn't lose his license for a period of time.

Quote:
Schenn looks fine...now is this a one game suspension instead of five?
I suspect that if you watch Shanahan's explanation post-result, he will note the severity of Schenn's injury as a determining factor in the length of suspension/fine amount, yes.

12-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Hiesenberg

Schenn doesn't remember the play or anything after it......and why aren't they testing him for a concussion?

Old
12-18-2013, 02:22 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Schenn actually said he feels stronger from the hit and now has a better understanding of the game of hockey.
So he absorbed some of Wilson's life-force? Cool.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Schenn doesn't remember the play or anything after it......and why aren't they testing him for a concussion?
Who says they aren't?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I'm no brainosurgeon but I'm pretty sure that's a bad sign.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:33 PM
MP92

"Hey, Brayden says he feels fine, people! No reason to make him take a baseline concussion test. His word is his bond! Meanwhile, please ignore the fact that he's bleeding from his right ear and has been chewing on his tongue all afternoon like a stick of Trident gum."

---- the Philadelphia Flyers

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:35 PM
flyershockey

Calm down folks, it's just a virus.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Garbage Goal

I'd be very surprised if Schenn doesn't eventually have a concussion reveal itself or have one already. That was a nasty charge into the boards. Really nasty.

If he comes away from that unscathed he's Wolverine. Either way it's probably not smart and a bit irresponsible to play him next game.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Calm down folks, it's just a virus.
"We have given Brayden sudafed and cough drops to treat the virus. We will soak him in a bathtub of ice, our traditional method, and after he drinks his nutrient slushee he will be healed."

--Flyers training staff

"I have force fed Brayden a fistful of hemp, he's probably stronger than ever now because of sciencey hemp stuff."

--Riley Cote

"I can't remember what the color orange looks like."

--Brayden Schenn

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:46 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...le-vs-columbus

People said I saw him coming,” Schenn said. “He was coming in pretty quick, pretty fast and maybe I did see him for a split second, but I don’t really remember the play very much at all.”

That sounds like a concussion to me. I really hope he sits for a few games, then maybe gets re-tested.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

HFboards top notch medical staff out in full force today.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote