HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Flat Bottom V question

Old
12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
So, I have a few weeks off for the holiday break and was thinking this would be a good time to give FBV a test drive. My question, like most, is what sharp to start with.

I am 6'3", about 245lbs, and have the flexibility of a stovepipe(numerous knee surgeries have left me tentative). I am 45 years old, and have been skating about 18 months. It is not very pretty. I work at it though. I really would like to find more speed, and quicker starts/acceleration. I initially started on a 7/16, then gradually worked my way down to a 5/8. Sometimes the 5/8 feels a bit to much slide, but when I used a deeper hollow it seems to take me a few hours to get comfortable. They just stick so much(fairly soft ice too at my local rink) and my stopping and turning on the weaker foot feel really dicey. So, the 5/8 let's me get going pretty quick without too much hesitation. The transitions are where I really feel the most trouble and feel like I am going to trip over myself. I use a Reebok 12k size 13 skate -- gunboats for sure.

I realize I need to continue to improve my skating, trust my edges, get bender knee bend -- all of that. Still, if I can get something more from my blades, that would be great. I would like to make better turns, learn to backward crossover, etc... but stumbling all over the place until I can wear them in for 4-5 hours is not a good plan. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good cut to start with?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Malarowski

Hey have a look at this:

http://noicingsports.com/fbv.html

I am a bit 'daintier' but was on a 5/8 and skate on a 90/75 now for a long time with great success.
Additionally look into profiling your skates (change the radius of the blade overall).

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 01:16 PM
mistrhanky

This profiling and radius stuff is pretty damned interesting. My biggest worry is that I am still guessing with what the right adjustment might be. Does anyone happen to know if places like Hockey Giant or TotalHockey do profiling and radius. I would really even prefer to trust my LHS but I am not sure I do. It would be great to have someone actually watch me skate for a few minutes and maybe make suggestions, but of course it needs to be someone who knows what they are doing. I may have to look into that. The idea of having the radius and profile matched alone may be a solid starting point.

It looks like the 90/75 might be the best FBV starting point for me. If anything, slighly looser than the 5/8, but I could work up from that.

Old
12-18-2013, 01:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
This profiling and radius stuff is pretty damned interesting. My biggest worry is that I am still guessing with what the right adjustment might be. Does anyone happen to know if places like Hockey Giant or TotalHockey do profiling and radius. I would really even prefer to trust my LHS but I am not sure I do. It would be great to have someone actually watch me skate for a few minutes and maybe make suggestions, but of course it needs to be someone who knows what they are doing. I may have to look into that. The idea of having the radius and profile matched alone may be a solid starting point.

It looks like the 90/75 might be the best FBV starting point for me. If anything, slighly looser than the 5/8, but I could work up from that.
If you have a few weeks off I would tell them your issues, let them recommend what you might like and then adjust. I'm 6ft, 200lbs and play on the soft SoCal ice so I went from a 7/16 to an X6 (we seem to only have that machine out here). I've had no issues, the edges seem to last longer, it seems more precise as far as what I expect when I hit the ice and the glide is better. I'd give it a test drive until you find what you're looking for.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
mistrhanky

The Noicing guys offer two blades for my skates -- Rocket Runners and STEP replacements. Both are roughly the same price although I notice that Rocket is much cheaper buying elsewhere dollar wise. The E-Proformance steel I see in a lot of places runs about the same $25/blade price as STEP, but the Rockets are about $9. I was wondering what the difference was. I don't know that I need a lot of extra height on my edges...

Old
12-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
The Noicing guys offer two blades for my skates -- Rocket Runners and STEP replacements. Both are roughly the same price although I notice that Rocket is much cheaper buying elsewhere dollar wise. The E-Proformance steel I see in a lot of places runs about the same $25/blade price as STEP, but the Rockets are about $9. I was wondering what the difference was. I don't know that I need a lot of extra height on my edges...
I would reach out to them directly, they actually also have a survey that will help them & you determine and make recommendations which setup as far as hollow and profiling would work for you. I think STEP steel is just a bit higher quality and should last longer.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Thesensation19

Tried them and I like them. In fact, I immediately got use to it and prefer them now. Its like the regular, with a sharpened edge for better cuts and stops. At least IMO.

I love them. too bad not every skate shop has it. There gonna be left behind in the dust

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Mattb124

I recently got new runners from No Icing and am very happy with the results. I wanted a better quality steel than stock to reduce the frequency of sharpening (1+ hour trip for me) and went from 1/2" to 100/50. Based on their survey I they gave me a 9 degree radius on the front (standard Bauer, which I was using) and a 13 degree radius on the back of the runner. My glide and edge control improved and the full transition only took 2-3 skates. The only disappointment is that I am getting 1 to maybe 2 more skates out of a sharpening (was hoping for more), which makes me feel like the FBV edge is not as durable. All in all, I like the results.

One other thing, the place that does my sharpening said about 40% use FBV, which I thought was interesting.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 07:59 PM
mistrhanky

So, I gave the noicing guys a shot. Filled out the questionnaire, got a pretty quick response and pretty quick turnaround. I am a big guy who skates pretty straight up and have huge feet. They recommended an 8/14 combo radius, neutral pitch and a 90/75 FBV cut. I really like everything about it so far, but the cut was WAY to slippery for me. I ran them over to Totalhockey and they cut me a 100/50(they only offer for settings). That cut was way to edgy for me. So, I took a flyer at my LHS and just guessed and tried a 95/75... and it feels great. Not sure why it hit the spot so well, I would think the 75 would feel about the same regardless... unless noicing never actually sharpened them in the first place:-)

Either way, there is a definite difference. I do feel like I am faster and smoother and taking less effort to do it. I am still not 100% comfortable on the edges but definitely good enough to play on. I think the whole package of changes was worth the investment.