HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Unwritten Rules of Attending NHL Games

Old
12-18-2013, 04:40 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The Unwritten Rules of Attending NHL Games

Quote:
-Only wear a jersey if that team is actually playing: If, for example, the Flyers are playing the Penguins, it would be considered a jersey foul to wear your Detroit Red Wings jersey to the game. People will give you odd looks, and wonder why you’re wearing it. But, it is completely okay to wear the jersey of another team if it is of a person playing in that game. For example, I’ve seen people were a Claude Giroux Gatineau Olympiques jersey, Giroux’s junior team in the QMJHL.

-Most jerseys of past players are acceptable: For most past players, it's okay to wear their jersey. Popular players, obscure players, or fan favorites are all okay. But if a guy was a total draft bust, left on bad terms, or was a huge disappointment, it's generally frowned upon. If you’re considering wearing your Petr Nedved or Paul Coffey Flyers jersey to the game, you might want to think twice and upgrade to a new one.

-Wait for a stoppage to leave/go to your seat: You can block the view of nearly an entire section if you leave your seat while play is going on. You have to shuffle through your row to get to the aisle, and it is considered rude. If someone is entering/leaving your row, stand up so they can walk by easier. Most arenas do not allow you to go down to your seat until a stoppage anyway.

-Do not yell “SHOOT!”: You do not see the angles that the player is seeing. The players know what they should do with the puck. They get paid millions of dollars to know.

-Talk about the game if you know what you’re talking about: Analyzing the play on the ice is one of the biggest benefits of seeing a game in person. You see the entire ice, instead of what the TV camera wants you to see. It’s one of the things I enjoy most about going to games with my dad. But if you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t try to pretend you do, because people around you will know. Some of my favorites are a guy who pronounced Mike Knuble’s last name “Newble”, and a man who claimed Jaromir Jagr signed with the Kings this offseason.
http://thehockeywriters.com/video-20...ding-nhl-game/

Agree? Disagree? What's missing?

Last edited by BillyShoe1721: 12-18-2013 at 06:41 PM.
BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:42 PM
jagrgodr

vCash: 500
Always boo when Bettman is on camera

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Devil Dancer

The only one I strongly agree with is "Wait for a stoppage to leave/go to your seat." As for the rest, who cares? It doesn't bother me what jersey the guy in the next seat is wearing.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:44 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

-Move to your seat using the side that causes the least number of people to have to stand up: There's nothing like causing an entire row to get up, move their beers/food, etc., because you have seat 1 and it's on the other side of the section.

-Wait until the end of the game to leave: I'll apply the caveat of parents with small children, who may not want to tuck their kids in by 11 pm.

-Don't stand and talk in the middle of the concourse in between periods: Like a ski hill, get off to the side along the wall please. There's little enough room as it is with line-ups for bathrooms, concessions, etc.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Don't be that ****wit who stands up and waves at the TV camera.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Sit back in your seat during play, unfortunately 50% of the crowd doesn't understand this.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:45 PM
yakfish
"Holy Mackinaw!"

I pretty much agree with the exception of the yelling "shoot" rule. I can't help but yell "shoot" when a player doesn't and I think they should. I know they get paid millions to know when to shoot. But I am a fan and its what I do.

yakfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:46 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Sit back in your seat during play, unfortunately 50% of the crowd doesn't understand this.
Yeah, that's a good one. Happens a lot when the puck is in the corner.

I can understand people standing on breakaways, because it's exciting, but sit back down again quickly.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:46 PM
TheInstigator

I always wear my Suter jersey to Red Wings games. Love the rage!

TheInstigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:47 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Other then the stoppage bit it just sounds like a bunch of you dictating what should happen at a game, they paid to be there they get to decide what they do at the game to enjoy themselves

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:48 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

-Don't chant the opposing goalie's name when he's pitching a shutout: It's more personal preference, but it's kind of a lame thing to do when he's obviously doing fine.

-Don't boo the result of an obvious disallowed goal review: We all have eyes. Some fanbases are better at this than others.

Old
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Yeah, that's a good one. Happens a lot when the puck is in the corner.

I can understand people standing on breakaways, because it's exciting, but sit back down again quickly.
Yeah, it's all good during really exciting plays, but last game I was at I wasn't able to see the entire faceoff circle from my corner seats because of buddy in front of me. It's frustrating having to ask grown men to please sit back in their seats like a civilized human being every other game.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

The one I agree with the most is "Shoot!"

Yeah, because the pros on the ice need your advice between swigs of beer and reading the program. Thanks.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:49 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Yeah, it's all good during really exciting plays, but last game I was at I wasn't able to see the entire faceoff circle from my corner seats because of buddy in front of me. It's frustrating having to ask grown men to please sit back in their seats like a civilized human being every other game.
Sometimes kids will sit on the edge of the seat in the upright position.

I end up having to tell the parents to please have them sit normally so the people behind can see over them.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:50 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
I pretty much agree with the exception of the yelling "shoot" rule. I can't help but yell "shoot" when a player doesn't and I think they should. I know they get paid millions to know when to shoot. But I am a fan and its what I do.
So, you're one of THOSE fans, huh?

I absolutely HATE it when the fans yell "shoot"...Wild fans are the worst. Yelling "shoot" is almost as annoying as The Wave or the White/Red Outs (where all the fans where the same color shirt).

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Disagree with 2 and 4

When you're team is cycling on the PP for like a 1 minute without a shot they better damn well shoot soon.

Also obscure jerseys are fun to wear as long as they are legitimate, I love it when I see a Jan Bullis Canucks jersey.

WinterEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SenatorsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
-Only certain jerseys of past players are acceptable: If the player is a legend, very popular within the franchise, or recently retired as a member of the team, it is cool to wear their jersey. But if you’re considering wearing your Petr Nedved or Paul Coffey Flyers jersey to the game, you need to think twice, and upgrade to a new one.
Disagree with this one. I'm not going to shell out $200 for another jersey just because the player on the back left the team. I'll wear my Ottawa Senators #9 Havlat Jersey to games until it disintegrates. Besides, it's kind of neat to look around the stands and see a little bit of variance in terms of player names and jersey types. 5000 Karlsson and Spezza jerseys is boring.

Agree with the rest, especially the "shoot" one.

SenatorsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening

vCash: 69
You can only wear popular past jerseys? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I love seeing people with random jerseys.

Also, I never understood why the players leaving "ruins" the jersey, all that matters to me is that at one point in time they (realistically) played for the team. Who cares if you just bought a Dubinsky jersey and then they traded him, he was with the team for plenty of time. It's not like wearing the jersey of a current player gives said player magical extra power. Never got it.

aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:51 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

-Don't spend the entire game on your smartphone when you're behind the bench: At least act like you're semi-interested?

-Don't stand up and scream for the T-shirt gun when it's on the other side of the arena: It's just not going to happen, sorry.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Bill McNeal

- Don't let hockey snobs dictate how you should enjoy the game.

Bill McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
You can only wear popular past jerseys? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, I love seeing people with random jerseys.
I think he meant to not wear jerseys of players who may have failed to meet expectations or left a bad taste around.

I don't think I've ever seen a Messier jersey at Rogers Arena...

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Don't put a sign up during play.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:53 PM
FilthyNote*

Quote:
Are you saying you shouldnt lean forward?

Im a big dude and sometimes it feels good to stretch my back and lean forward a bit. My knees or body dont ever touch the person sitting in front of me. However I have had people behind me kick my back and rest their knees on my back. Very annoying.

Not sure how to fix that but that goes for anything in a stadium.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 04:54 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaMan View Post
Are you saying you shouldnt lean forward?

Im a big dude and sometimes it feels good to stretch my back and lean forward a bit. My knees or body dont ever touch the person sitting in front of me. However I have had people behind me kick my back and rest their knees on my back. Very annoying.

Not sure how to fix that but that goes for anything in a stadium.
Basically it means you shouldn't be sitting on the edge of your seat, despite what advertising campaigns may say about NHL hockey.

Leaning forward is fine, as long as your posterior isn't way out on the edge. The sightlines rely on this.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:55 PM
YeahKassian

vCash: 300
People that get their own names on the back of a jersey. I never understood that at all.

Leaning forward for sure also. I had this happen to me at the bell centre and i couldnt see anything.

YeahKassian is offline   Reply With Quote