HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XI

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Flyers are 11th in missed shots. 230 of them.
They've improved a bit! THey might have been 8th at one point, with near basement levels of SOG....which was a statistical anomaly, any other team with a normal shooting percentage had a MSS rank in line with their SOG rank. It was quite unusual to see a team in the top 10 for missed shots and the bottom 5 for shots on goal.

12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
So far there's 9 suspensions in the month of December alone this season. Not even 2/3rds of the way through one month of the season and having the equivalent of a suspension every other day. That's insane.

Honest question, does any of the other three major leagues have suspensions with the frequency the NHL does? If it keeps up like this (or even if it falls back to normalcy) I imagine the NHL is going to be very keen on changing the game to stop this as a lot of suspensions equals a lot of forfeited pay, a lot of missed games by NHL players, and just looks bad all around for the league.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
So far there's 9 suspensions in the month of December alone this season. Not even 2/3rds of the way through one month of the season and having the equivalent of a suspension every other day. That's insane.

Honest question, does any of the other three major leagues have suspensions with the frequency the NHL does? If it keeps up like this (or even if it falls back to normalcy) I imagine the NHL is going to be very keen on changing the game to stop this as a lot of suspensions equals a lot of forfeited pay, a lot of missed games by NHL players, and just looks bad all around for the league.
It's tough to say since Baseball & Basketball aren't even remotely in the same stratosphere when it comes to physical contact like Hockey.

Football is really the only one that does & they are basically trying to find solutions like the NHL is without taking the physical element completely out.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It's tough to say since Baseball & Basketball aren't even remotely in the same stratosphere when it comes to physical contact like Hockey.

Football is really the only one that does & they are basically trying to find solutions like the NHL is without taking the physical element completely out.
Even with the NFL though I don't ever hear of many suspensions that have to do with on the field incidents and pretty much every game I've ever seen has been a clean game. I'm not a football fan though so I'll leave that to someone else I guess.

There is a difference with the NFL and NHL though. The NFL is completely based around players running into each other and tackling each other. It's how most plays are ended and the basis of entire offensive and defensive lines. The players are also huge and probably don't lose as much weight and mass as a hockey player does throughout the season. So you have huge guys tackling into each other at mostly knee and head levels because the game demands it to function.

With the NHL hitting isn't as vital even if it's a big part of the game. You can still pass, score goals, save shots, etc. without ever having any physical contact. There's also clean hits and dirty hits in the NHL whereas the NFL doesn't seem to have that problem. The NHL involves fist fighting as well which isn't even part of regulation play considering that they blow the whistle any time a fight starts.

My point is that the physical element present in football is pretty much completely necessary to the playing of the sport so the only way to improve player safety is better equipment I can imagine.

With the NHL there's a lot of potential improvements to be attempted and some stuff that you could argue that just aren't necessary at all and can be cut out completely.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Suspensions are rare in football because there are only 16 games in the season. Fines are much more common for dangerous play in the NFL.

Here's a list of NFL fines/suspensions in 2013.

12-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Suspensions are rare in football because there are only 16 games in the season. Fines are much more common for dangerous play in the NFL.
Fair point there.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Even with the NFL though I don't ever hear of many suspensions that have to do with on the field incidents and pretty much every game I've ever seen has been a clean game. I'm not a football fan though so I'll leave that to someone else I guess.

There is a difference with the NFL and NHL though. The NFL is completely based around players running into each other and tackling each other. It's how most plays are ended and the basis of entire offensive and defensive lines. The players are also huge and probably don't lose as much weight and mass as a hockey player does throughout the season. So you have huge guys tackling into each other at mostly knee and head levels because the game demands it to function.

With the NHL hitting isn't as vital even if it's a big part of the game. You can still pass, score goals, save shots, etc. without ever having any physical contact. There's also clean hits and dirty hits in the NHL whereas the NFL doesn't seem to have that problem. The NHL involves fist fighting as well which isn't even part of regulation play considering that they blow the whistle any time a fight starts.

My point is that the physical element present in football is pretty much completely necessary to the playing of the sport so the only way to improve player safety is better equipment I can imagine.

With the NHL there's a lot of potential improvements to be attempted and some stuff that you could argue that just aren't necessary at all and can be cut out completely.
The NFL & NCAA have been trying to eliminate hits to the head & blind side hits much like the NHL has with penalties in place & supplemental discipline as well.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Here's a list of NFL fines/suspensions in 2013.
Unless you're James Harrison.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Winston Wolf

Is there a whinier fanbase than the Ottawa Senators'? I swear they seem to have 5-10 incidents a season where all of their fans go nuts here and think there's some kind of conspiracy against them.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Is there a whinier fanbase than the Ottawa Senators'? I swear they seem to have 5-10 incidents a season where all of their fans go nuts here and think there's some kind of conspiracy against them.
Ranking order :
1 Capitals
2 Habs
3 Penguins
4 Leafs
5 Sens

Old
12-18-2013, 09:22 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Ranking order :
1 Capitals
2 Habs
3 Penguins
4 Leafs
5 Sens
Caps fans are just annoying because they act like they know hockey much more than they actually do. Definitely really whiny.

Habs fans are annoying because they are so irrationally stubborn. It's kind of endearing how devoted Habs fans are to their opinions.

The long time Pens fans are knowledgable and fun to actually have a rivalry with. The new age fans are just annoying. Gotta make a distinction between which fans when it comes to the Pens.

I'd say the Sens are the worst. Just so whiny, arrogant, and stubborn. Sort of a combination of the three above.

Old
12-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Lundqvist just got ran over

Old
12-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

****in stupid Penguins blowing the 3-1 3rd period lead to let the Rangers get to overtime... if they Rangers end up winning.....

Old
12-18-2013, 09:58 PM
Garbage Goal

Tonight is not going the Flyers way for the standings.

Old
12-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Wellwood

Did you see that Crosby-Del zotto hug on the overtime? Man I hope someone makes a .gif of that

Old
12-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Tonight is not going the Flyers way for the standings.
Of course it isn't. **** us, right?

Old
12-18-2013, 10:09 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

On the bright side, the Flyers have one less game played than the Rangers or Devils.

These two games against the BJs are huge.

Old
12-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
On the bright side, the Flyers have one less game played than the Rangers or Devils.

These two games against the BJs are huge.
Columbus isn't far back at all anymore too somehow. In a purely hypothetical situation, if Columbus won both games they'd probably leap to the front of this cluster.

Old
12-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Columbus isn't far back at all anymore too somehow. In a purely hypothetical situation, if Columbus won both games they'd probably leap to the front of this cluster.
Yep, exactly why these games are so huge, if either team wins both they're going to be in a much better position.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Stizzle

John Bartlett ‏@BartsBytes 14m

#Habs Daniel Briere is a healthy scratch tonight. Ryan White is in. #habson690

... Hahahaha!

Old
12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Tripod

HAHAHAHA....Briere a healthy scratch tonight. We warned the Habs fans!

Old
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
So many of them are still holding out hope for him. That's a familiar feeling.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:34 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
From what I've read, MTLs coach is playing Briere in the worst possible situations relative to his strengths. Anyone that doesn't play Danny in a strictly offensive role is a complete idiot.

DB is not that good anymore, but he can still score if used correctly.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Curufinwe

38.8% Off Zone Start is insane for Briere.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Old
12-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
From what I've read, MTLs coach is playing Briere in the worst possible situations relative to his strengths. Anyone that doesn't play Danny in a strictly offensive role is a complete idiot.

DB is not that good anymore, but he can still score if used correctly.
2nd worst zone starts (38%...) and 3rd hardest rel QoC on the team lmao.

You may as well lock him in a dark cupboard with loose matches and turpentine and cover him in sandpaper... then cover him in itching powder.

He would have more chance of success.

Closed Thread