HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Brayden Schenn

Old
09-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
So it's settled then; Schenn is the best Center on the team and Giroux is pretty meh. I knew it!
What are you talking about? Having reading comprehension problems today SOB?

I said Schenn could move up to play LW with Giroux and Voracek, both of whom he plays well with, if Hartnell gets moved down to the 2nd line.

Hartnell plays well with all of the top 6 guys, so there are lots of options for moving guys around to get the best combos/chemistry possible.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:15 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
What are you talking about? Having reading comprehension problems today SOB?

I said Schenn could move up to play LW with Giroux and Voracek, both of whom he plays well with, if Hartnell gets moved down to the 2nd line.

Hartnell plays well with all of the top 6 guys, so there are lots of options for moving guys around to get the best combos/chemistry possible.
My B, didn't think I needed the . Was making a facetious declaration, not directed at you, just with your examples

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
My B, didn't think I needed the . Was making a facetious declaration, not directed at you, just with your examples
Sorry, you should have used Sarcastica font.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2013, 06:59 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The more I watch Brayden, the more I see him developing into a Nathan Horton type. He might have more offense than Horton, but their physical game and skating style is very similar.
i think schenn is more a dustin brown type of player,but horton is a good comparison too

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 07:05 PM
tymed

I've noticed here and there for a while but it only just recently dawned on me and especially last night, Brayden makes spectacular plays off the Right side of the ice.

I can't rememer them trying Schenn on the right side but it seems like it could be his forte and we all see he looks out of place on his forehand wing. The only time you notice the guy in the offensive zone is when he's working his way up the to the blueline from the goalline on that side and is extremely effective in doing so-- He usually manages to make someting out of these plays. He plays right side on the PP. He cuts in from the right well on the rush when hes on that side. That gorgeous breakaway pass he fed Hartnell with last night (what a beaut) from the right. Every time I notice something done well, it's been off the Right side.

He simply doesn't have the speed or the shot to break around guys without using his body and it's extremely hard to do so already on your forehand wing and he isnt much for toedrags. The kid is a playmaker and has excellent vision. He was a 30-goal guy at best even in juniors. He's not a goal scorer, but im actually very impressed with his work off those boards.

All of our wingers are natural to the right side already (save hartnell who isnt natural to much of anything) which makes it tough to try him on that side but maybe that's where we have to take this eventually.

Im not in favor of shuffling lines when they're working but I've never really seen the chemistry between Giroux and Voracek and will likely need to be looked at again at some point. I also don't see any reason for Simmonds not to be able to take his forechecking to the left side because he doesn't do anything particularly well with the puck on his stick.

Raffl/Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Simmonds-Vinny-Voracek
Downie-Coots-Read

Raffl/Hartnell/Simmonds all being interchangeable there. I wouldnt mind getting a look at this when healthy. It seems like we're forcing a player who isn't that dynamic into a spot that he just isnt going to come around in. We invested a lot in the kid and yes I know he's supposed to be a center.

Last edited by tymed: 12-18-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: work keyboard
tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
FLYguy3911

I believe Schenn was given first crack at the RW spot with G and Hartnell last year and didn't impress in limited time and got the hook.

It's an interesting observation though. I agree he's a bit lost on the left side, he's OK offensively at center and he has some freedom there as well, but he's not exactly a complete center. You can play him on the right side, but like you said someone is getting bumped from their natural side. You got Voracek, Simmonds, and Downie who play the right side and Read has already moved over to his off wing. I never really feel in love with the Jake-G combo, I think they are too similiar, but I don't see them splitting any time soon. Simmonds isn't skilled enough to play the off wing and the Couts line appears to be solidified. There's no where for him to really go. It will be interesting to see what happens when Vinny comes back. Is someone on the move?

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 12:51 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I believe Schenn was given first crack at the RW spot with G and Hartnell last year and didn't impress in limited time and got the hook.
I think Hartnell played RW in this combo.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 03:52 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Schenn's interesting, I don't think we get his best when he's on LW. Maybe he's better at right, but he's definitely better at center. Something's gotta give, Couturier is practically a 2C right now with all that ice time he's getting and it would be a shame to waste Brayden's potential by shifting him to LW.

With Giroux, Vinny and Couts, it seems like Schenn is the expendable one if they want to move a center. He hasn't looked great on wing compared to when he's at center. Maybe he's moved soon for someone line E. Kane. Or Byflugien, or Bogo. Jets could be good partners.

Last edited by blinds: 12-19-2013 at 03:58 AM.
blinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 07:26 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I think Hartnell played RW in this combo.
I don't recall Hartnell ever playing RW. He scored 37 goals the year before on the left side. There was no reason to move him.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 08:47 AM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post

It's an interesting observation though. I agree he's a bit lost on the left side, he's OK offensively at center and he has some freedom there as well, but he's not exactly a complete center. You can play him on the right side, but like you said someone is getting bumped from their natural side. You got Voracek, Simmonds, and Downie who play the right side and Read has already moved over to his off wing. I never really feel in love with the Jake-G combo, I think they are too similiar, but I don't see them splitting any time soon. Simmonds isn't skilled enough to play the off wing and the Couts line appears to be solidified. There's no where for him to really go. It will be interesting to see what happens when Vinny comes back. Is someone on the move?

Ya I remember them trying that very briefly now... And ya I dont see the kid holding down the 2C spot with our center depth for very long. The reason I suggest Simmonds was his lack of skill because he only ever darts in a straight line through the neutral and tries to dump and chase which I figure he can't get much better or worse at on the other side. Another interesting look would be to see Jake on the left side of Giroux--On the surface the idea might not make sense but Jake really isn't the type of player that he grew up being. He never had size and strength and always worked his passing magic off the rightside boards...whereas now moreso than not seems like he's taken to attempting to drive wide and make a backhand pass with his head down. He has the wheels to maybe beat guys around on his forehand off the left side and has really abandonned the defensive side of the game so maybe he could put it to use out that side and cut loose. The guy changed his game maybe he could benefit from changing position too. G and Schenner could get him a lot of pucks up the left side in full stride.

Basically...my point is that our top-6 has an alarmingly low amount of chemistry in the past couple of years and there arent any real signs of that changing with the combos we've usd with players in particular spots and I see Schenn as having the biggest chance to have a dramatic change in impact should he find his natural spot. Jake is the only top-6er with speed when healthy which is the biggest requires asset for working off your forehand going down the ice.

Voracek-Giroux-Schenn ?

If we had a line that could establish some dominance and chemistry to go along with the Coots line we might be able to eventually escape mediocrity without a trade.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I've still got high hopes for Brayden Schenn. I think he's going to turn into an excellent second liner. I don't see any PPG regularity for him, though it wouldn't surprise me if he got into the 80s once or twice. I think the realistic projection for Schenn is a 60 point regular, with some potential for the 70s, maybe a season of 80s, all while playing responsible above-average defense with some grit. Not a superstar by any means, but a very valuable player.

He's only 22. He may very well turn into an offensive dynamo, or he may well not ever improve more than where he is right now. But I still have high hopes for him.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:51 AM
kjbhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I've still got high hopes for Brayden Schenn. I think he's going to turn into an excellent second liner. I don't see any PPG regularity for him, though it wouldn't surprise me if he got into the 80s once or twice. I think the realistic projection for Schenn is a 60 point regular, with some potential for the 70s, maybe a season of 80s, all while playing responsible above-average defense with some grit. Not a superstar by any means, but a very valuable player.

He's only 22. He may very well turn into an offensive dynamo, or he may well not ever improve more than where he is right now. But I still have high hopes for him.
I think at the top end he is a 60 point forward. 80's is a bit of stretch. The more I see him at wing he looks like Brendan Morrow. Average foot speed, good on the forecheck and an above average shot. One thing Schenn really needs to work on is moving without the puck and moving his feet more.

kjbhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbhockey View Post
I think at the top end he is a 60 point forward. 80's is a bit of stretch. The more I see him at wing he looks like Brendan Morrow. Average foot speed, good on the forecheck and an above average shot. One thing Schenn really needs to work on is moving without the puck and moving his feet more.
Oh yeah, 60s is where he will likely be IMO, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if he reached 80s once or twice in his career.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
I still think he ends up like Horton. A guy that should have been more, but settles in nicely as a physical top six winger who scores a combination of ugly/quick shot goals.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 12:57 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Schenn to me seems like more of a Hartnell type player than anything else. Good around the net, can play physical. Not nearly as good a fighter or taunter as Hartnell is or was...but I think Schenn enjoys that part of the game. I dont think he's skilled enough at Center, so he needs to stick and find a spot at Wing.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2014, 01:33 AM
tymed

Nice game for Brayden last night... Again everything off the right hand boards. I guess Center is as close as he gets to those areas. Hopefully he doesnt get moved back to the left side.