HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): 3rd and 10th pick at the draft.

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
The tank is chugging along as expected ladies and gentlemen. Record of 1-9 in our last 10. Can't wait until MCW comes back because the games are brutal to watch without him. Wroten has been good filling in for MCW. What a steal that trade was.

I've been watching a lot of CBB and the max potential of Joel Embiid trumps every other prospect, IMO. Parker has been impressive and so has Wiggins for the most part. Randle really sucked tonight vs. UNC. My goal this week is to watch a UCLA game and check out Zach LaVine. I hear he is a Westbrook clone.
If you had the #1 pick who would you take? I've read that some scouts believe Embiid has the "potential" to be hakeem Olajuwon. Sounds like your high on him.

I'd still go Wiggins, at this point. (Could change after March Madness though)

Old
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
If you had the #1 pick who would you take? I've read that some scouts believe Embiid has the "potential" to be hakeem Olajuwon. Sounds like your high on him.

Embiid is going to go high, probably top 3. He's raw, only started playing basketball a few years ago, but he has a pretty good feel for the game. Decent low post game, good passer, can run the floor, block shots, etc. He's not your typical big athletic that you hope figures it out (JaVale McGee, Biyombo). Being the only legit seven footer in a draft filled with mostly wing players, his stock is going to be sky high come June. On one hand I would love to see him as the centerpiece of this team because he could be the real deal, on the other hand, I don't know how much BB needs a back to the basket center in his uptempo offense. He already has Noel, who doesn't have near the offensive potential as Embiid, but will be a rim protector that can run the floor a la Andre Drummond (less freaky, better FT shooting version).

I'm still on the Wiggins train if we have the choice of anyone. I've said it before, the college game really shelters Wiggins talents. It's a slowed up half court game that promotes perimeter offense. He's a guy that shines in the open court and getting to the rim. He would thrive in BB's system. As good a Parker has played this year, he has no where near the upside of Wiggins. His frame is just about maxed out, he's no where near the athlete either. He has a lot more free reign to play his game a Duke. He's also shooting the ball at a ridiculous clip. Not sure how sustainable that is.

Wiggins does not come without knocks, however. He needs to improve his ball handling. He's too loose with the ball in traffic often resulting in turnovers. He also doesn't have many counter moves when his drive to his strong hand is taken away. He has a killer spin move, but I think this will be neutralized at the next level if he doesn't develop his handle. He's not much of a playmaker, again he's not in a position to be a ball dominate player so it's hard to judge. My biggest concern has nothing to do with his physical game, it's his demeanor. He's a laid back kid, too laid back in fact. I'm not sure if he's disinterested playing college ball or if he doesn't want to seem like a diva to his teammates. I watch him play and you can see the talent, but I just keep waiting for him to just take over the game and dominate. He'll make a fantastic drive that will make you say "wow" and then he won't attempt to score for a handful of possessions.

That said some of things that standout to me. His athleticism obviously. It translates to all facets of the game. From one the nastiest step back jumpers I've ever seen to the potential to be a legitimate lockdown perimeter defender at the next level (something Parker won't be). He's long, fast, and has great leaping ability to challenge shots and even block some. If you've watched any Sixers games this year you could appreciate that ability. He's got a pretty nice looking jumper to start with. He Could use a little more rotation on his shots, but he has solid form. He's not even close to reaching his physical peak. He has plenty of filling out to do. He has a little bit of a post game, that could benefit from added bulk. In the end, he won't be Lebron. There is only one Lebron. I think more realistically, you are looking at a Paul George type player with the potential to be more.

This freshman class has me really excited about the future of basketball and more importantly the future of the Sixers. I'm still hopeful now with Dec 15 passed, we will see Hinkie make a move for yet another 1st rounder. If not to try and get a quality player, but to have ammo to move up if need be. Also Hinkie's plan is ****ed if this team makes the playoffs as Miami has the rights to our 1st this year or next year if we make the playoffs.

I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but this team could have 3 blue chippers making their NBA debut next year. I often forget about Noel, but even if his offensive never comes together he's a defensive game changer (something this team will need eventually ). MCW is a really nice piece to build around. If Tony Wroten can ever get his game under just a little more control he will be a really niece piece coming off the bench. Hollis Thompson looks like a nice role player. Kazemi should be a gritty player off the bench as well whenever he is deemed ready for the NBA. The rest is mostly garbage, but that's OK for this year. I don't know why, but I really trust the Sixers' plan. I like BB and his philosophies and I like the emphasis on player development. I can't wait to see what this team looks like in 3 years. That is of course if the sports gods cooperate. They do owe us after a particular draft lottery in 2007.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 12-15-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old
12-16-2013, 10:34 AM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Great post. I didn't want to quote the whole thing for the sake of space but I agree with literally every word you wrote. I wouldn't worry about this team making the playoffs, even in the east. They are finally playing to their talent level after that adrenaline fueled start. I'm glad you mentioned December 15th. For people who don't know this week is a big week because a player you trade for before Dec. 19th could be easily traded again at the deadline. This matters to us because there are a lot of rumors with the Sixers and Rockets involving Asik. Keep an eye on that this week.

Quote:

My top three right now is 1. Wiggins, 2. Embiid, 3. Parker. I believe they are a in a tier all by themselves. The only possible change I would make is Embiid jumping Wiggins by the end of the season. Embiid's hands and passing ability really stand out to me. The Kansas boys have a much higher ceiling than Parker. I wouldn't mind drafting Parker, but not over the other two.

The Duke vs. Kansas games tells you all you need to know about Wiggins. He scored 16 pts. in the second half and guarded Parker for about 10 min. The only points Parker got off Wiggins was from two free throws after a foul. He shut Parker down with his god like athleticism. Wiggins was really assertive as well in the second half. My main gripe I have about him is his lack of assertiveness sometimes in games when he seems content to just stand in the corner. I believe that will be improved and he will become more of a "killer".

Last edited by MRxBLACK: 12-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old
12-16-2013, 11:01 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
There have been a number of big, freak athletes from Africa that have been deemed the next Olajuwon, and they've all flopped. Hasheem Thabeet was the second overall pick in 2009, hadn't played basketball until he was 15, and he's been a complete flop. Bismack Biyombo was the 7th overall pick in 2011, and he's been mediocre, averaging 5 points a game and 6.6 rebounds over his career. Taking the "raw but talented" guy who's barely played ball in his life is not the strategy to employ when making a franchise-altering selection. Wiggins, Randle, and Parker will go top three, just like they should, if competent GMs are selecting.

Old
12-16-2013, 11:10 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
There have been a number of big, freak athletes from Africa that have been deemed the next Olajuwon, and they've all flopped. Hasheem Thabeet was the second overall pick in 2009, hadn't played basketball until he was 15, and he's been a complete flop. Bismack Biyombo was the 7th overall pick in 2011, and he's been mediocre, averaging 5 points a game and 6.6 rebounds over his career. Taking the "raw but talented" guy who's barely played ball in his life is not the strategy to employ when making a franchise-altering selection. Wiggins, Randle, and Parker will go top three, just like they should, if competent GMs are selecting.
I totally agree, and I'll be pretty upset if the Sixers are in a position to get one of the 3 you mentioned but go the Embiid route instead.

12-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Which is exactly why I want Wiggins or Parker.

Old
12-16-2013, 04:59 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
I thought the same exact way as you, until I seen him play. The other guys you mentioned were either uncoordinated (Thabeet) or lacked the "feel" (Biyombo). Embiid has the smoothness, that feel for the game, in addition to his coordination, athleticism, and size. There is always a risk with bigger players, but the upside is massive and he, in my opinion, has a much greater probability of hitting that upside than the other raw big men of the past few years.

Another part of the equation is player development. A player can have all the tools in the world, but if he's not constantly developing them, his development will stagnate. The Sixers coaching staff has a background in player development and was put together with that focus in my mind.

All of that said, as much as I advocate BPA in all drafts, you already have a center only prospect in Noel. Unlike other positions on the court, it's hard for two centers to play together in a non-defensive situation. I want to see the Sixers come out with a potential star wing player and a scoring big. If they find a way to come out with that, they will be in good shape.

Old
12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Wow. Sixers are 3rd worst now. They are exactly what people thought they were.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:59 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Wow. Sixers are 3rd worst now. They are exactly what people thought they were.
Like McDonald's...I'm lovin' it. If the Sixers have a good draft this team is going to be fun to watch in a few years while the Flyers will probably continue to be mired in mediocrity if Holmgren is still at the helm...

Hinkie as Sixers and Flyers GM! Do it now....

Old
12-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Like McDonald's...I'm lovin' it. If the Sixers have a good draft this team is going to be fun to watch in a few years while the Flyers will probably continue to be mired in mediocrity if Holmgren is still at the helm...

Hinkie as Sixers and Flyers GM! Do it now....
He could probably run 2 teams better than Holmgrem running 1.

Old
12-18-2013, 04:36 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

Don't be surprised if the Sixers are involved in a multi team deal with Houston tonight or tomorrow.

Old
12-18-2013, 05:08 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I wonder if it'll be us or the Celtics getting Asik. I trust Hinkie either way.

Old
12-18-2013, 05:13 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

Michael Levin @Michael_Levin
Follow

Nothing surprising, but to reinforce: Source tells me Sixers only targeting picks and young players with longterm upside.

Old
12-18-2013, 07:29 PM
FLYguy3911

Sounds like Boston is the likely landing spot for Asik. I didn't want him, but would have loved to have gotten some picks in a 3-way deal.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Michael Levin @Michael_Levin
Follow

Nothing surprising, but to reinforce: Source tells me Sixers only targeting picks and young players with longterm upside.

Good to hear, I didn't want anything to do with Asik on the Sixers.

Let the Celtics get him, they apparently aren't tanking anymore now.

Old
12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Good to hear, I didn't want anything to do with Asik on the Sixers.

Let the Celtics get him, they apparently aren't tanking anymore now.
One less competitor for us to worry about.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

Thad wants out:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2013/1...-nba-omer-asik

Quote:
Young and his agent, Jim Tanner, submitted a formal trade request to Hinkie and the Sixers weeks ago, according to a source close to Young.

"Thad is ready to leave Philly," the source said. "He isn't with the whole tanking thing."

Old
12-19-2013, 05:06 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
See ya later Thaddeus. Happy trails.

Old
12-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Deuces son!

Old
12-19-2013, 06:22 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I like Thad. It's clear he wants to win. He plays his heart out every night. Exactly the kind of player we don't need right now as bad as that sounds. Best of luck to Thad wherever he goes.

Old
12-19-2013, 06:36 PM
zarley zelepukin

I just hope we can get a good return for him. It's hard not to like Thad; I'd wish him well wherever he ends up.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
That is a shame....he is a good soldier but frustrated and ready to desert. Not sure how I feel about him giving up and not wanting to build "together." But he wants to win now so can't totally blame him. Hinkie will maximize his value ...then in a couple of years Thad will regret bailing...

Old
12-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Here's a nice site to keep up with the tank status:

http://www.tankathon.com/

Old
12-19-2013, 10:10 PM
RussianRocket10

A little early but 3rd and 11th picks? Not bad.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
A little early but 3rd and 11th picks? Not bad.
Anthony Davis came back last night and didn't miss a beat.

Closed Thread