HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nash Trade Redux

View Poll Results: Would you trade for Nash again?
Yes 97 44.50%
No 121 55.50%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-19-2013, 09:03 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Nash Trade Redux

Simple question. Would you make trade again?

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:11 AM
slipknottin

I said before it happened I wouldn't do it.

Also said I wouldn't sign Richards and said they should have traded gaborik years ago to the kings

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:11 AM
RangersHank*

No i wouldnt. I keep that team and add to it but still trade Gaborik for depth

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Lots of benefit of hindsight here.

12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Some of us just had foresight

Old
12-19-2013, 09:16 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

I'm 99.9% sure Nash isn't completely healthy OR he's not finishing plays/playing with an edge to avoid getting hurt. Possible a combination of both. See; Callahan, Ryan

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Some of us just had foresight
Then you were certainly in the minority. We're lucky to have you here.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:18 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoHitTheNetJK View Post
I'm 99.9% sure Nash isn't completely healthy OR he's not finishing plays/playing with an edge to avoid getting hurt. Possible a combination of both. See; Callahan, Ryan
He has 3 hits this season. 3.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:23 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Oh no question. I wanted him here at the time, however, seeing what it did to our chemistry, and given his abysmal playoff performance, I would most certainly NOT do it again.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:24 AM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
He has 3 hits this season. 3.
Thank you for further proving my point. He's playing scared and it's pretty obvious

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:26 AM
OverTheCap

I was leery of acquiring Nash ever since he was on the market during the 2011-12 season.

He's not a player you build an offense around. Columbus tried that and failed, and now the Rangers are trying the same thing and the results don't look much better. I think he's fine as a complementary piece, like his role on Team Canada, but relying on him as a focal point of the offense and/or as leader in the locker room could be problematic.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Riverdale

I voted No.

I'm still unsure how I feel about the trade but I am leaning towards No.

Sometimes I watch Nash and am amazed, other times I am thinking "Where the hell is Nash?"

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:34 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
Oh no question. I wanted him here at the time, however, seeing what it did to our chemistry, and given his abysmal playoff performance, I would most certainly NOT do it again.
No offense to you, but the question is really not a fair one. There's the benefit of seeing how history has played out.

I said yes because I don't think the Rangers gave up one extraordinary player in the deal (and still don't).Turns our they didn't have the internal resources to replace the players they dealt. Or the didn't find replacements via FA.

The powers that be decided who was part of their core and didn't give up anyone who was in that core (Callahan, McDonagh, Kreider, Hagelin, Staal, Girardi, possiblyDel Zotto etc). And they got a guy who was the additional goal scorer they proved to be lacking in the playoffs one who was younger than Mark Messier when he was acquired.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Yes. 100%. every single time. who else would we rely on for offense?

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Ail
k.

Still the right move. That 11-12 team was probably not repeating the run it had all other factors considered. Glen forgot to make the rest of the necessary changes to this team to support making a move for a guy like Rick Nash. Rick Nash looks defeated and disengaged this year but if this team wasn't built the way it is that might not be the case.

More reactionary nonsense. Almost the entire team is bad. Easy to talk about how bad moves are when nothing is going right.

12-19-2013, 09:44 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Still the right move. That 11-12 team was probably not repeating the run it had all other factors considered. Glen forgot to make the rest of the necessary changes to this team to support making a move for a guy like Rick Nash. Rick Nash looks defeated and disengaged this year but if this team wasn't built the way it is that might not be the case.

More reactionary nonsense. Almost the entire team is bad. Easy to talk about how bad moves are when nothing is going right.
Reactionary nonsense? Yeah......about that......

It just further illustrates Sather's inability to assess his team's chemistry and recognize players that are important to the identity. Dubinsky (and Prust) were HUGE pieces of that identity, and our idiot GM didn't correctly value their importance.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 490
I don't see the Nash trade in a vacuum as being the problem. In culmination the other moves or non moves prior and after the trade are the issue as far as I see it.

Nash is not that player who can put a team on his back, he needs a supporting cast. Rangers have given him a declining Richards (which in my opinion was the poorest move), a 1st/2nd line tweener center in Stepan, and some speed but not necessarily play makers on his other wing. On D they gave him or anyone else Del Zotto to get him the puck, usually by trying to pass it 100 feet through 3 defenders.

Then they filled the rest of the team with players who refuse to back up each other in the toughness department and they get the Nash they have, an injured or scared of being injured shell of his best days.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

In hindsight, I think the answer is obvious, but not because of the trade itself. The biggest issue was that Sather dealt away important pieces, but then never replaced them. Nash is an excellent player, but once again, he's been inserted on a pretty mediocre team and has been asked to carry them on his back.

I know there are people who didn't want Nash, but the majority of those people were still advocating for more scoring in the form of Jeff Carter, Iginla, Doan, etc. Who knows how those deals would have worked out for this team?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Yes. Turns out the organization want as primed for a run at the cup as most fans believed. If anything people should be more disappointed in the fact that our defense, goaltending, and prospects haven't been as good as we thought they would be.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
In hindsight, I think the answer is obvious, but not because of the trade itself. The biggest issue was that Sather dealt away important pieces, but then never replaced them. Nash is an excellent player, but once again, he's been inserted on a pretty mediocre team and has been asked to carry them on his back.

I know there are people who didn't want Nash, but the majority of those people were still advocating for more scoring in the form of Jeff Carter, Iginla, Doan, etc. Who knows how those deals would have worked out for this team?
Honestly I don't think the results would be any different. This has been what's plagued us since Sather took over; making random moves and inserting random pieces. We had an identity, which we then took to Los Alamos and dropped a nuclear bomb on.

Our glue was broken the day that trade was made. Then we went ahead and let Prust go, traded Gaborik, and fired the coach that had this team playing the best since I was in high school.

Honestly, it's like...he's TRYING to be the worst GM in history. Really just an unbelievably horrible thing for us fans to have to deal with. It's like dating ugly chicks for so long, then somehow this smokeshow wants you.....and you date for a little bit and she dumps you....then back to ugly chicks.

(sigh)

Old
12-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Don't mind the trade.

I do mind the half-assed attempt to replenish the depth lost in the trade/to free agency that off-season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Yes. Turns out the organization want as primed for a run at the cup as most fans believed. If anything people should be more disappointed in the fact that our defense, goaltending, and prospects haven't been as good as we thought they would be.
They were playing a sheltered game that limited mistakes. The movement towards opening things up really hurt this team. It exposed players as not being that good.

I never understood why so many fans thought the team was being held back.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:08 AM
SERE 24
LGR

No. I never got the Rick Nash hype when he was in Columbus but gave him the benefit of the doubt because I only watched him a handful of times each year and consensus seemed that he was a leader and game changer who would be putting up 75-90 points annually on a better team. Now that he's been here and I've seen him night in and out I'm positive that he IS completely overrated and I don't even like him that much as a player. He's supremely talented but he's heartless and soft and for a player his size it's infuriating. He shows up in bursts and gets his points, but he's a very frustrating player to watch and I stand by my original opinion.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
BlueLooksGood

No. Simple reason being his contract.

BlueLooksGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Nightshift

You make that deal all day long

They weren't playing a sheltered style. They were playing an unsustainable style. The ECF appearance was a big overachievement and one that had no chance of being repeated with the same personnel.

Nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote