HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash Trade Redux

View Poll Results: Would you trade for Nash again?
Yes 97 44.50%
No 121 55.50%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
Every damn time I make this trade. Give away third liners and a marginal prospect for a dominant forward? Obvi. It's not Nash's fault Sather is an incompetent sack of **** and couldn't adequately replace depth that's not hard to replace.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
I said it in the PGT but I'll say it here because it's applicable. Nash = Marian Hossa. Excellent Excellent complimentary piece but not someone you want to rely on to run your offense.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Green Blob*

100% yes every single time.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular salad.

vCash: 123
Yes, definitely. I love Dubs but Nash is an elite goal scorer. Just because he didn't produce in playoffs and has been mediocre this season doesn't mean he sucks. It's not like we've been tearing it up and he looks lost. He still has all that skill but our whole team is struggling right now. Once the spark happens to ignite our offense, install some confidence, and get our team back on track, he'll be right there in 40+ goal form.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

Third liner Dubinsky is on pace for 62 points and almost 250 hits over 82 games while wearing a letter on his new team. He's also playing center again and is 56% on draws. Top PKer on his team as well.

Add Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st and I don't do that trade.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:43 AM
Nightshift

Some speed down the middle would go a long way. Nash should still be able to open space for himself but he isn't a one show and never will be

Nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:44 AM
slipknottin

I still don't buy Nash as an elite goal scorer.

He has an average at best shot.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:46 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Was against the trade from the start. Not because of the assets given up, although I do miss Anisimov, but because Nash's contract sucks and, as I imagined, his presence would not mean added success for this poorly built and managed team.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Mikos87

Yeah I'd do the trade, but I'd also resign Prust, Feds, and Mitchell that offseason, or heck not let them hit UFA to lose valuable assets.

That way Dubinsky turns into Nash, and Miller/Kreider replaces Artie. Hindsight is what it is. Having a coach that can get the most out of his players helps too.

I think it's obvious that Nash is a self motivated player 1 out of 4 games. But other guys have to step up and do their jobs. Right now you have a coach that doesn't look like he is maxing out his personnel nor doing a good job of motivating his roster for every period, let alone every game.

You also have a team that is a woefully mixed bag undersized, underskilled, low compete, no fortitude, and overmatched group of forwards and a system that the team's once vaunted defense core isn't suited to play.

Given the circumstances Rick Nash not playing with any intensity opens up the doors for him to be the new whipping boy. It's time for him to step up. I was time for him to step up 35 games ago, but it looks like he's fallen in line with the indifferent parts of the roster, the Brassards, and the Pouliots of the world.

Soft Skill with No Will.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I tend to root for players that are willing to do anything to win hockey games.

Ive never gotten that sense with Nash. Theres a ton of excuses you can use for him -- not wanting to take another head-shot is probably the #1 excuse.

He can put up his #'s, but regardless, he sure seems like a player thats all sizzle and no steak.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Vitto79

You make the Nash deal every time. Even if you take the gabby deal it's a good one for by. Gabby walks in clb then it's dubi, aa, erixon, 1st for Nash, brassard, Moore, Dorsett. Asset wise nyr is ahead. Chemistry is another thing

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:07 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

There are bigger fish to fry than Nash on this roster. I'll say it again, the team has nor replaced what Dubinsky and Anisimov brought to the roster. There are no middle 6 players that have their size and speed + production on this rosrer. They can be replaced but have not. It is difficult to fet a 40 goal guy and as dynamic as Nash.

He might have scored on that move around 3 people yesterday if his stick was not knocked from his hands. I don't see Dubi or AA making that move to score. Erixon cannot crack the blue jackets defense. The first was a middle/late pick. TBD on that the results of that.

Still a trade you make 99 times out of 100

Dubi is playing 1st line minutes on Columbus. He would be getting less time for the Rangers. He would not be producing like that here. Less time is less opportunity to score or produce. Most likely on the 2nd line here, but emergence of Zuke and Kreider make him less needed to the current team. Need a better bottom 6 and production from the defense.

Last edited by mrjimmyg89: 12-19-2013 at 11:12 AM.
mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

At the time, I was all for it.

Potential reasons to reconsider:
-Breaking up chemistry of that group
-Nash's contract essentially making it impossible to keep Gaborik
-Nash on a 60 point pace this year
-Nash looking to have been affected by 2 head shots

1. Definitely was a risk that I underrated. No question. Prust walking played in as well.
2. Don't see the team better off mid/long term with Gabby over Nash. Not a factor for me.
3. Affected by the general team's struggles. Though he is obviously a (big) part of that. Still has shown ability to create out of nothing nearly on his own the way no one else on the roster can. Dallas, Buffalo goals come to mind.
4. The biggest factor to his drop off IMO. And the most unpredictable. Can't let it influence whether or not you make the deal. But a huge, unfortunate factor.

Verdict: Still a yes, but it is really teetering. His inability to step up and lead is concerning. The locker room chemistry shift, was devastating. Nash needs to get back on a 35-35 pace. The only reason why I still say yes is because I fear where the org would be without him. Giving Gaborik a long extension this summer. Even if they flipped the same package for Bobby Ryan, not sure the team is better off now/mid term.

12-19-2013, 11:14 AM
mullichicken25

Speaking purely in hind site you trade for Nash a year earlier than they did.

That way you pair Nash with a fully functioning Marion Gaborik a hardworking core of supplemental players, rock solid defense, and stellar goaltending.

That's what they tried to do but they missed the boat a little. In the shortened season Gaborik's play took a nose dive and the defense did not play as far above their heads as they did the year previous. (Obviously an over simplification but you get the gist)

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
They were playing a sheltered game that limited mistakes. The movement towards opening things up really hurt this team. It exposed players as not being that good.

I never understood why so many fans thought the team was being held back.
Sheltered is just as bad if not worse really proves we don't have enough talent.

Clown Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
I think its almost time for Nash to score one of his pretty little break-in goals and then not be seen for another 5 games.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:47 AM
KreiMeARiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I think its almost time for Nash to score one of his pretty little break-in goals and then not be seen for another 5 games.
hahaha correctomundo

yeah let's trade our whole team to the blue jackets...cuz they were real good 'n all. Then let's bring in their crap coach who stinks up a storm and has had a feud with one of the most talented players we acquired.

seems logical.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
An easy yes for me.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Was against the trade from the start. Not because of the assets given up, although I do miss Anisimov, but because Nash's contract sucks and, as I imagined, his presence would not mean added success for this poorly built and managed team.
Disagree on Nash's contract sucking.

His cap hit will be about 11% of the cap next year and his contract expires when he's 34.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

I was always against the idea of Nash coming here. Always. But the trade was too good to pass up.

Howson was in love with Dubinsky. Dubinsky stunk in 2012.

Anytime Brandon Dubinsky is the centerpiece of a return package for a goal scorer, you make the trade 1000 times out of 1000.

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Sheltered is just as bad if not worse really proves we don't have enough talent.
The nasty result of that sheltered style of play is that fans eventually long for more and start talking crazy -- that the system stinks and not the players.

They've been exposed on both ends of the ice this season. I dont think the jury is out any longer in regards to the roster deficiencies.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Anisimov was benched/demoted more times in 2012 than Joey Harrington was in his career. Dubinsky was a close second.

Ridley and Miller were outstanding for the Rangers in 1987 after their 1986 postseason. Trading them was criminal for a guy with knee issues. Nash is a different story. He was healthy and an upgrade, while both Dubinsky and AA were struggling and seriously inconsistent

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 12:36 PM
True Blue

Did not want it the first time. Still don't

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Flavius
Da Gawd

I wouldn't. He's obviously a gifted player with a great skill set, but I ****ing hate him. I hate his '13 playoff performance, I hate how our announcing team pumps up his performance every chance they get (no matter what it is), I hate that he's always hurt, and I hate his cap hit. We were already so top heavy beforehand.

When there were rumors that we were going to trade for him at the deadline in 2012 I was utterly against it. Not only because Columbus was asking for a king's ransom, but because of the disruption of team chemistry. When we made the real trade in the summer I thought it was fine because we really didn't give up a ton to get him (at least compared to what was being asked before). I really liked Dubi and Anisimov, but I understood why they did it.

All in all, with hindsight, I wouldn't do it. And that's with the strong probability that we don't make the playoffs in 2013 without him. Gaborik was underperforming that season and we needed a scoring threat. But that being said, we still didn't win the cup. We didn't even get as far as we did the year before. And nowadays we look like the Broadway Blue Jackets. For some reason this guy cannot be "the guy" on a winning team. I don't know if it's circumstantial or not, but that fact remains.

Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 01:45 PM
McRanger

Nash isn't the problem just like Gaborik wasn't.

Nash isn't the reason Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Callahan Hagelin etc. are having the worst seasons of their careers. And outside of maybe Girardi neither is AV.

Nash needs to up his game. But not nearly as much as some of his teammates.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote