HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers recall Dylan McIlrath (Reassigned 12/19)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
And who are we going to send with del zotto to upgrade him?
exactly. del zotto alone probably gets us back a lateral player. we need a dman to replace him and upgrade our offensive punch from the blue line. that means a shooter or a pp qb or we need a forward with some size and good hands but none of that happens with just mike alone.

if we package del zotto with say miller or a roster player like brash or stepan, we should be able to get back a very good package of roster players who need a change of scenery. everyone is in play here other than mcd and kreider.

unfortunately, those 2 names come up in every deal.

and we really dont want back prospects at this point. we need healthy guys under 30 who can step in and score. sounds good but it aint easy.

del zotto is on his way out. hes available and being shopped. its out there in the media and the av thing isnt going away. hes the guy whos gonna go for the best deal. its inevitable.

but you gotta give to get.

Old
12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Right now, I don't think his fighting ability or any sort of toughness he brings outweighs his inability to play NHL defense -- again, key words being right now.

People love to point out how he brings that toughness element to the back line that we lack. True, but the issue that he's looked shaky at best playing the NHL game should hold much more water.

I just wish the team would commit to something. Either play him and let him learn on the job, or send him to the AHL for bigger minutes. They seem stuck in between on yet another issue.

Agreed. The toughness is nice and stuff, but he needs to play defense too. Hopefully he learns

Old
12-19-2013, 09:04 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is no way to develop a first round, top-10 pick. And since the Rangers history of developing players is so sterling, I would err on side of what most teams do and let the kid play major minutes in the AHL as opposed to either not playing at all or playing 5 minutes a night.

This is the Rangers however. So the chances are he may become another Tomas Kloucek or the defensive version of what happened to Malhotra.
dont disagree but i happen to believe they want to show him the ropes and give him a taste of the nhl. again, short term, theres value with him being here.

he needs to play alot of minutes and healthy scratches hurt that for sure but if av comes right back and plays him against the piles, and you factor in practice time, hes fine for now.

with staal out, del zotto in av's chateau bow wow, and falk not grabbing a full time spot, mcilrath has an opportunity. i would like to see him grab it.

remember, good teams can afford to wait and let the kids develop.... thats not us.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
dont disagree but i happen to believe they want to show him the ropes and give him a taste of the nhl. again, short term, theres value with him being here.
Showing him the ropes at the expense of his development by either playing 5 minutes a night or being a healthy scratch is not a step towards his development.

Old
12-19-2013, 09:59 AM
slipknottin

Quote:
Showing him the ropes at the expense of his development by either playing 5 minutes a night or being a healthy scratch is not a step towards his development.
I'm not sure if you are aware, but a heck of a lot of development happens outside of games.

Old
12-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
exactly. del zotto alone probably gets us back a lateral player. we need a dman to replace him and upgrade our offensive punch from the blue line. that means a shooter or a pp qb or we need a forward with some size and good hands but none of that happens with just mike alone.

if we package del zotto with say miller or a roster player like brash or stepan, we should be able to get back a very good package of roster players who need a change of scenery. everyone is in play here other than mcd and kreider.

unfortunately, those 2 names come up in every deal.

and we really dont want back prospects at this point. we need healthy guys under 30 who can step in and score. sounds good but it aint easy.

del zotto is on his way out. hes available and being shopped. its out there in the media and the av thing isnt going away. hes the guy whos gonna go for the best deal. its inevitable.

but you gotta give to get.
Moving 2 young roster players for an older more talented roster player is something a team that is close to a Stanley cup does. The Rangers are not that team.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I'm not sure if you are aware, but a heck of a lot of development happens outside of games.
I am aware. But I am also aware the a heck of a lot more of development occurs by being coached in a real game against real players.

Old
12-19-2013, 11:24 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Moving 2 young roster players for an older more talented roster player is something a team that is close to a Stanley cup does. The Rangers are not that team.
agreed. but i didnt say that. not sure where you got that from my post. were alot more than 1 player away

i did say package of players back

i said healthy guys under 30 that can score. in other words no older players looking for their last contract.

if we can turn del zotto and say brash or stepan and a prospect into 2 roster players in their 20's i do that. a pmd and a forward would be great.

this team needs an influx of talent. bigtime.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
nrf83

Quote:
That is no way to develop a first round, top-10 pick. And since the Rangers history of developing players is so sterling, I would err on side of what most teams do and let the kid play major minutes in the AHL as opposed to either not playing at all or playing 5 minutes a night.

This is the Rangers however. So the chances are he may become another Tomas Kloucek or the defensive version of what happened to Malhotra.

This is a poor argument re: NYR developing prospects. Kloucek suffered a major knee injury and Malhotra was a pawn between Muckler and Smith and he wasn't very good at the time. Blackburn got hurt; Chernanski got hurt; Cherepanov RIP; We've had our f/u's w/player development, but so has any other team. The draft continues to be a crap shoot and it will always be so.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:21 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I would package Del Zotto, Miller and a 2nd for a talented, preferably RH, dman under 25. Not an "older" player; a better offensive dman at the expense of a lesser one, a strong prospect and a pick.

McDonagh - ??
Staal - Girardi
Moore - McIlrath/Stralman

If they feel McI still isn't ready let him finish this year in the AHL and take over full time on that third pair next year.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
eco's bones

Del Zotto probably isn't going to get us all that much on his own but unless it was for a very serious player I'd keep Miller. He's not going to be a 1st liner but he should become a very good forward with lots of grit--a bigger Ryan Callahan type with a little more sandpaper is what I'm thinking.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Del Zotto probably isn't going to get us all that much on his own but unless it was for a very serious player I'd keep Miller. He's not going to be a 1st liner but he should become a very good forward with lots of grit--a bigger Ryan Callahan type with a little more sandpaper is what I'm thinking.
Miller will probably need a brain transplant if hes ever going to be like Callahan

Old
12-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I would package Del Zotto, Miller and a 2nd for a talented, preferably RH, dman under 25. Not an "older" player; a better offensive dman at the expense of a lesser one, a strong prospect and a pick.

McDonagh - ??
Staal - Girardi
Moore - McIlrath/Stralman

If they feel McI still isn't ready let him finish this year in the AHL and take over full time on that third pair next year.
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.

Old
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.
Let me know how that one turns out.

12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Let me know how that one turns out.
We could throw in Brian Boyle

Old
12-19-2013, 12:37 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Not quite. Same idea, but a bit over ambitious for the package lol

Old
12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
We could throw in Brian Boyle

Old
12-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Raspewtin
disenchanted

Quote:

Stand for something or fall for anything, and you working with two left feet at the skating rink.

Fire Sather.
Old
12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
agreed. but i didnt say that. not sure where you got that from my post. were alot more than 1 player away

i did say package of players back

i said healthy guys under 30 that can score. in other words no older players looking for their last contract.

if we can turn del zotto and say brash or stepan and a prospect into 2 roster players in their 20's i do that. a pmd and a forward would be great.

this team needs an influx of talent. bigtime.
Can you give an example here? I can't think of a single team looking to move those pieces, with the return being what you are offering.

How many times do we see teams trade a youngish pmd for an offensive young dman, and a highly talented youngish forward, for a high ceiling talented young forward? Throwing the prospect in there only makes sense if it's a real clincher, but what trading partner is going to covet our stocks of prospects?

This seems like an NHL 14 move, as I really can't see any trading partners where this happens.

Old
12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Miller will probably need a brain transplant if hes ever going to be like Callahan
He's 20 years old for christ sake. Under ordinary circumstances this would be his first pro season. He's figured out the AHL pretty well--going at a point per game clip and on a **** team. You've given up on him. That's fine. I haven't.

Old
12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

This. So much this.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
12-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Lol DZ Miller and a 2nd don't even get you Weber's clipped toenails.

Old
12-19-2013, 02:17 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

Quote:
Is it April fools day already?

Old
12-19-2013, 02:34 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Love this post so much.

Closed Thread