HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers recall Dylan McIlrath (Reassigned 12/19)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
  #501
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
And who are we going to send with del zotto to upgrade him?
exactly. del zotto alone probably gets us back a lateral player. we need a dman to replace him and upgrade our offensive punch from the blue line. that means a shooter or a pp qb or we need a forward with some size and good hands but none of that happens with just mike alone.

if we package del zotto with say miller or a roster player like brash or stepan, we should be able to get back a very good package of roster players who need a change of scenery. everyone is in play here other than mcd and kreider.

unfortunately, those 2 names come up in every deal.

and we really dont want back prospects at this point. we need healthy guys under 30 who can step in and score. sounds good but it aint easy.

del zotto is on his way out. hes available and being shopped. its out there in the media and the av thing isnt going away. hes the guy whos gonna go for the best deal. its inevitable.

but you gotta give to get.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 08:59 AM
  #502
RangersHank*
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Right now, I don't think his fighting ability or any sort of toughness he brings outweighs his inability to play NHL defense -- again, key words being right now.

People love to point out how he brings that toughness element to the back line that we lack. True, but the issue that he's looked shaky at best playing the NHL game should hold much more water.

I just wish the team would commit to something. Either play him and let him learn on the job, or send him to the AHL for bigger minutes. They seem stuck in between on yet another issue.

Agreed. The toughness is nice and stuff, but he needs to play defense too. Hopefully he learns

RangersHank* is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 09:04 AM
  #503
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is no way to develop a first round, top-10 pick. And since the Rangers history of developing players is so sterling, I would err on side of what most teams do and let the kid play major minutes in the AHL as opposed to either not playing at all or playing 5 minutes a night.

This is the Rangers however. So the chances are he may become another Tomas Kloucek or the defensive version of what happened to Malhotra.
dont disagree but i happen to believe they want to show him the ropes and give him a taste of the nhl. again, short term, theres value with him being here.

he needs to play alot of minutes and healthy scratches hurt that for sure but if av comes right back and plays him against the piles, and you factor in practice time, hes fine for now.

with staal out, del zotto in av's chateau bow wow, and falk not grabbing a full time spot, mcilrath has an opportunity. i would like to see him grab it.

remember, good teams can afford to wait and let the kids develop.... thats not us.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
  #504
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
dont disagree but i happen to believe they want to show him the ropes and give him a taste of the nhl. again, short term, theres value with him being here.
Showing him the ropes at the expense of his development by either playing 5 minutes a night or being a healthy scratch is not a step towards his development.

True Blue is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 09:59 AM
  #505
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Showing him the ropes at the expense of his development by either playing 5 minutes a night or being a healthy scratch is not a step towards his development.
I'm not sure if you are aware, but a heck of a lot of development happens outside of games.

slipknottin is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 10:09 AM
  #506
Calad
Section 422
 
Calad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
exactly. del zotto alone probably gets us back a lateral player. we need a dman to replace him and upgrade our offensive punch from the blue line. that means a shooter or a pp qb or we need a forward with some size and good hands but none of that happens with just mike alone.

if we package del zotto with say miller or a roster player like brash or stepan, we should be able to get back a very good package of roster players who need a change of scenery. everyone is in play here other than mcd and kreider.

unfortunately, those 2 names come up in every deal.

and we really dont want back prospects at this point. we need healthy guys under 30 who can step in and score. sounds good but it aint easy.

del zotto is on his way out. hes available and being shopped. its out there in the media and the av thing isnt going away. hes the guy whos gonna go for the best deal. its inevitable.

but you gotta give to get.
Moving 2 young roster players for an older more talented roster player is something a team that is close to a Stanley cup does. The Rangers are not that team.

Calad is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
  #507
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I'm not sure if you are aware, but a heck of a lot of development happens outside of games.
I am aware. But I am also aware the a heck of a lot more of development occurs by being coached in a real game against real players.

True Blue is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 11:24 AM
  #508
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 7,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
Moving 2 young roster players for an older more talented roster player is something a team that is close to a Stanley cup does. The Rangers are not that team.
agreed. but i didnt say that. not sure where you got that from my post. were alot more than 1 player away

i did say package of players back

i said healthy guys under 30 that can score. in other words no older players looking for their last contract.

if we can turn del zotto and say brash or stepan and a prospect into 2 roster players in their 20's i do that. a pmd and a forward would be great.

this team needs an influx of talent. bigtime.

offdacrossbar is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
  #509
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is no way to develop a first round, top-10 pick. And since the Rangers history of developing players is so sterling, I would err on side of what most teams do and let the kid play major minutes in the AHL as opposed to either not playing at all or playing 5 minutes a night.

This is the Rangers however. So the chances are he may become another Tomas Kloucek or the defensive version of what happened to Malhotra.


This is a poor argument re: NYR developing prospects. Kloucek suffered a major knee injury and Malhotra was a pawn between Muckler and Smith and he wasn't very good at the time. Blackburn got hurt; Chernanski got hurt; Cherepanov RIP; We've had our f/u's w/player development, but so has any other team. The draft continues to be a crap shoot and it will always be so.

nrf83 is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:21 PM
  #510
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
I would package Del Zotto, Miller and a 2nd for a talented, preferably RH, dman under 25. Not an "older" player; a better offensive dman at the expense of a lesser one, a strong prospect and a pick.

McDonagh - ??
Staal - Girardi
Moore - McIlrath/Stralman

If they feel McI still isn't ready let him finish this year in the AHL and take over full time on that third pair next year.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:28 PM
  #511
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Del Zotto probably isn't going to get us all that much on his own but unless it was for a very serious player I'd keep Miller. He's not going to be a 1st liner but he should become a very good forward with lots of grit--a bigger Ryan Callahan type with a little more sandpaper is what I'm thinking.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:29 PM
  #512
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Del Zotto probably isn't going to get us all that much on his own but unless it was for a very serious player I'd keep Miller. He's not going to be a 1st liner but he should become a very good forward with lots of grit--a bigger Ryan Callahan type with a little more sandpaper is what I'm thinking.
Miller will probably need a brain transplant if hes ever going to be like Callahan

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:32 PM
  #513
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I would package Del Zotto, Miller and a 2nd for a talented, preferably RH, dman under 25. Not an "older" player; a better offensive dman at the expense of a lesser one, a strong prospect and a pick.

McDonagh - ??
Staal - Girardi
Moore - McIlrath/Stralman

If they feel McI still isn't ready let him finish this year in the AHL and take over full time on that third pair next year.
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.

Bardof425* is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:33 PM
  #514
-31-
portnor, pls
 
-31-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,818
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.
Let me know how that one turns out.

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
-31- is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  #515
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  #516
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Let me know how that one turns out.
We could throw in Brian Boyle

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:37 PM
  #517
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.
Not quite. Same idea, but a bit over ambitious for the package lol

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
  #518
-31-
portnor, pls
 
-31-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,818
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We could throw in Brian Boyle

-31- is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 12:59 PM
  #519
Raspewtin
disenchanted
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Prati, Rome
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.

__________________

Stand for something or fall for anything, and you working with two left feet at the skating rink.

Fire Sather.
Raspewtin is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
  #520
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
agreed. but i didnt say that. not sure where you got that from my post. were alot more than 1 player away

i did say package of players back

i said healthy guys under 30 that can score. in other words no older players looking for their last contract.

if we can turn del zotto and say brash or stepan and a prospect into 2 roster players in their 20's i do that. a pmd and a forward would be great.

this team needs an influx of talent. bigtime.
Can you give an example here? I can't think of a single team looking to move those pieces, with the return being what you are offering.

How many times do we see teams trade a youngish pmd for an offensive young dman, and a highly talented youngish forward, for a high ceiling talented young forward? Throwing the prospect in there only makes sense if it's a real clincher, but what trading partner is going to covet our stocks of prospects?

This seems like an NHL 14 move, as I really can't see any trading partners where this happens.

SlingshotVv is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
  #521
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Miller will probably need a brain transplant if hes ever going to be like Callahan
He's 20 years old for christ sake. Under ordinary circumstances this would be his first pro season. He's figured out the AHL pretty well--going at a point per game clip and on a **** team. You've given up on him. That's fine. I haven't.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 01:59 PM
  #522
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NoVA / NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 67,871
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is no way to develop a first round, top-10 pick. And since the Rangers history of developing players is so sterling, I would err on side of what most teams do and let the kid play major minutes in the AHL as opposed to either not playing at all or playing 5 minutes a night.

This is the Rangers however. So the chances are he may become another Tomas Kloucek or the defensive version of what happened to Malhotra.
This. So much this.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
Sestito still on the make a wish tour. - rholt168
"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 02:14 PM
  #523
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Lol DZ Miller and a 2nd don't even get you Weber's clipped toenails.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
12-19-2013, 02:17 PM
  #524
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor
 
NYR2047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.
Is it April fools day already?

NYR2047 is online now  
Old
12-19-2013, 02:34 PM
  #525
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Shea Weber? Miller has alot of value and does MDZ it seems. So, two young valuable assets plus a 2nd better bring back a top 10 D-man.
Love this post so much.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.