HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Old
11-20-2013, 11:19 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Was a big Gregor fan, but he has to stop questioning ex-NHL/NHL players when they tell him how players feel in situations.

Questioning Sutherby last week about Sutherby saying that kadri is probably playing bigger because of who is on the team was laughable. Sutherby flat out says if he had those guys he'd run around a bit more and cross the line, but Gregor says that's not the case?

Really Gregor?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Was a big Gregor fan, but he has to stop questioning ex-NHL/NHL players when they tell him how players feel in situations.

Questioning Sutherby last week about Sutherby saying that kadri is probably playing bigger because of who is on the team was laughable. Sutherby flat out says if he had those guys he'd run around a bit more and cross the line, but Gregor says that's not the case?

Really Gregor?
Gregor is never wrong. Just ask him. His ego is the reason I don't listen to him any more.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Gregor is never wrong. Just ask him. His ego is the reason I don't listen to him any more.
The main reason I still listen is he is the best interviewer around. When it comes to things that don't include his opinion and he is asking the questions there is no one better IMO.

I noticed in the past he'd ask outside coaches questions that us fans wonder from our coaches. We'd get an outside perspective and it was great.

Old
11-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yeah it gets a bit insufferable. There's that, there's his incessant need to show he's "NOT AN OILERS FAN GUYS, I'M NOT A FAN, I LIKE THE WHALERS, NOT FAN GUYS"

Finally his "Wrong team make up must trade for beef and the hitting" Narrative is getting stupidly old. At this point it's less based on any kind of "fact" and more just trying to fulfill his own prophecy as it relates to the Oilers.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Really Gregor?
I liked when he asked Smid about what the team needed to do to win and if he thought they needed to give more effort. Smid flat out said he had no idea what they had to do and nobody on the team wasnt giving a complete effort. Somehow Gregor summed up his response as the players have to make more of a commitment to winning.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2013, 04:58 PM
abootzky

I've been listening to sports talk radio in Edmonton since the early 70's when Bryan Hall had the only call-in shows in town on CJCA. I can't think of a single host (including Hall himself) who is/was a truly arrogant person both on and off the air.

Personally I find a little or even a lot of on-air arrogance to be entertaining- as long as there is at least a small undercurrent of humility to be found under the surface as well. The great John Short did it without the arrogance but the majority of my all-time radio favorites: Howard Stern, Jim Rome, Don Percy, Bill Matheson, Cubb (now Cam) Carson, Bob Stauffer and Jason Gregor had many arrogant moments but also subtly showed that they don't really take themselves too seriously.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 08:57 AM
joestevens29

Brownlee sure seemed shocked when the NSH guy said little chance Weber is being dealt, unless he asks for a trade and then zero chance Erat will be back as he pissed off teammates by asking for a trade. The guy needs to stop listening to Matheson if he wants to stay in the business.

Old
11-29-2013, 11:02 AM
joestevens29

Another rant. Who keeps bringing it up to Gregor that we will need 105 points to make the playoffs? Man does he rant on this a lot, his logic is flawed though. Saying that it will be like any other year and will be back to 92 or 93 isn't exactly correct. Is there not more east-west games this year? Thus driving up the points in the west and dropping them in the East?

Old
12-19-2013, 12:17 PM
oilers83

Today on the Oilers Public Relations Radio:
- Stauffer will defend management and Gagner
- Stauffer will create a stat that shows "improvement"
- Wilkins will remind us of something when Gretzky and co did 20 years ago today
- Stauffer will name drop Penner/Lupul/Bouwmeester
- Guest will come on and attempt to aid in the attempt to soothe our open wounds
- Royal Pizza menu breakdown

*All will be done with a strong tone of arrogance

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
- Wilkins will remind us of something when Gretzky and co did 20 years ago today
- Guest will come on and attempt to aid in the attempt to soothe our open wounds

He works for the team, they have scheduled bits and then need sponsors to have a show, if you don't like it, don't listen, but for **** sakes maybe think about this "ahead" of time.

Stop being "surprised" by Stauffer, he is what he is, geez.

Old
12-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He works for the team, they have scheduled bits and then need sponsors to have a show, if you don't like it, don't listen, but for **** sakes maybe think about this "ahead" of time.

I only listen once in a while these days, and every time I do Bob either has Tyler Dellow on the air, is talking about the interview he just had with Dellow, or is talking about how he will have Dellow on the air after the next commercial. That's usually enough to make me switch it off.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 02:56 PM
joestevens29

I thought someone said Stauffer was talking about how the Oilers need to move on from Gagner and get a Schenn for the 2nd line center the other day?

Old
12-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Beerfish

Quote:

Sorry dude this bs doesn't wash. I'll stop taking media to task when they stop acting as if they are actually reasonably unbiased journalists. If bobby Stauffer announces on his show that he is an unofficial paid shill I'll be happy to do as you say. When this guy spouts the drivel he does each day and actually gets upsets when people call him a shill he's fair game.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 03:16 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:

Stauffer has all sorts of excuses for the Oilers this year

-Hall was playing center...just wait till RNH and Gagner are back
-long road trip to start the season
-need to see the top 6 together
-Eakins is a new coach, give him 30 games
-their corsi is better!

the newest excuse for the poor play is that "they just aren't good enough to play against LA and Anaheim"

gee, no kidding Bob...I could've told you that 10 games in!

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 03:32 PM
oilers83

Quote:

Yes he works for the team, and therefore is open to criticism. I did think about it "ahead" of time and thought it was funny. What I'm "surprised" by is the total disregard he has about anyone who opposes what he or the organization does or thinks. His holier than thou and utter arrogance towards opposing opinions are evidence that his "journalism" is truly a joke. Geez.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:02 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Sorry dude this bs doesn't wash. I'll stop taking media to task when they stop acting as if they are actually reasonably unbiased journalists. If bobby Stauffer announces on his show that he is an unofficial paid shill I'll be happy to do as you say. When this guy spouts the drivel he does each day and actually gets upsets when people call him a shill he's fair game.
Yup, but he's an employee of the team, so, yeah.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Yes he works for the team, and therefore is open to criticism. I did think about it "ahead" of time and thought it was funny. What I'm "surprised" by is the total disregard he has about anyone who opposes what he or the organization does or thinks. His holier than thou and utter arrogance towards opposing opinions are evidence that his "journalism" is truly a joke. Geez.
Yeah, I don't disagree and I don't suggest he can't be critized, it's just the outrage over what he does just seems laughable, we know what he is. Plus, it's Radio, You need Sponsors, or it doesn't exist.

Old
12-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
And it's offensive that he talks about this team to others nationally. You know when our sports programs get the play by play guy or colour guy of another team to come on pre game and do an interview? Guess what these dunder heads are being interviews by other teams and national media and giving them the spin. Not to mention always leading softball questions for their guests.

If you are content with a media controlled by its master fine. I'm not and I'll take him to task for every stupid thing he says. Especially when they always get the last word and lambast anyone that takes the oilers to task.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Rod Phillips was an employee of the team too. Didnt stop him from calling a spade a shovel when he felt it was warranted.

Also that 12 days of Christmas on Nielson's show this morning was horrid.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 06:47 PM
oilers83

Quote:
Yeah, I don't disagree and I don't suggest he can't be critized, it's just the outrage over what he does just seems laughable, we know what he is. Plus, it's Radio, You need Sponsors, or it doesn't exist.
What's laughable is the sense of "journalism" that comes from the contracted media of this team. And yes we know that he is an egomaniac and a "told you so" yet never admits fault or blame when obviously wrong. The radio aspect of it I could care less about, it was a joke.

Old
12-20-2013, 08:02 AM
hawks889

Yesterdays show. Stauffer was wondering why fans were upset as there last 5 games were against good teams. Then tyler dellow comes on and tells everyone how the oilers corsi was better and the team is improving. I listen more for comedic relief as u cant take these guys seriously. Jim matheson was on the show and basically ripped stauffer for talking about process etc. Said its all about results and thats what the fans are concerned about not about small improvements in corsi

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Philly85
Moody'

The Omark stuff this morning is incredibly annoying, not funny and predictable. Move on to something else boys, come on.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:18 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Even as an Oilers employee and yes it does get old sometimes, I would still listen to Stauffer over Gregor any day of the week. Gregor doesn't even listen to the answers when he is interviewing and it is obvious. He also lalwes me to sleep on the drive home because he is so damn boring. He talks a lot and says nothing.
I have friends who are friends with Hume and say that even back when he was in the patch, he was a know it all loud mouth. And these are his friends talking.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:27 AM
hawks889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
The Omark stuff this morning is incredibly annoying, not funny and predictable. Move on to something else boys, come on.
Agreed but it just shows how there is nothing else to talk about oilers wise for them.

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:30 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
I am having fun with the fact the oilers gave away Omark for nothing. On the main board there are post from the past where the oilers could get a Second rounder and a prospect for him-- funny stuff

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote