HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather the worst GM in all of sports?

Old
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
dave4

vCash: 500
Sather the worst GM in all of sports?

You can make that argument. Obviously he has some competition from the man in an office down the hall, Isiah Thomas, but at least Isiah is around to take credit or discredit for what he's done. Where is Sather?

I've been to three games, and have watched most of the rest of them on TV, and I don't think I've actually seen Sather yet this year. Is he even around? Does he have any idea what's going on here? Why do I get the feeling he's in Edmonton, or Florida? Other GM's are visible and give interviews. Why not Sather???

The man's personnel decisions are a joke, I think he longer has a clue as to what constitutes a valuable hockey player, or how to build a team. And his decisions regarding coaching are even worse. Ron Low? Brian Trottier? I want to pick on Renney because I think he's a terrible coach and doesn't put his team in the best possible position to win, but I'm not sure that's fair with the horrible team he's been given.

The worst part is the man's arrogance. He laughed at the Rangers while we were taking players from him in the 90s that the Oilers couldn't afford anymore, and said anybody can put a championship team together with unlimited resources. Anybody but him, apparently. The truth is he did more for the Rangers when he was GM of the Oilers than while he's been GM of the Rangers.

I truly think he believes the fans are beneath him, that we're all a bunch of morons not worthy of him wasting brain cells on. I truly feel there is no hope for this franchise while he's running it, and I think he's going to be running it a long time.

Sad.......

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Well he just claimed Krog so that further solidifies your argument.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
You can make that argument. Obviously he has some competition from the man in an office down the hall, Isiah Thomas, but at least Isiah is around to take credit or discredit for what he's done. Where is Sather?

I've been to three games, and have watched most of the rest of them on TV, and I don't think I've actually seen Sather yet this year. Is he even around? Does he have any idea what's going on here? Why do I get the feeling he's in Edmonton, or Florida? Other GM's are visible and give interviews. Why not Sather???

The man's personnel decisions are a joke, I think he longer has a clue as to what constitutes a valuable hockey player, or how to build a team. And his decisions regarding coaching are even worse. Ron Low? Brian Trottier? I want to pick on Renney because I think he's a terrible coach and doesn't put his team in the best possible position to win, but I'm not sure that's fair with the horrible team he's been given.

The worst part is the man's arrogance. He laughed at the Rangers while we were taking players from him in the 90s that the Oilers couldn't afford anymore, and said anybody can put a championship team together with unlimited resources. Anybody but him, apparently. The truth is he did more for the Rangers when he was GM of the Oilers than while he's been GM of the Rangers.

I truly think he believes the fans are beneath him, that we're all a bunch of morons not worthy of him wasting brain cells on. I truly feel there is no hope for this franchise while he's running it, and I think he's going to be running it a long time.

Sad.......
Sather may be arrogant, he may not be present at the games and he may be a hypocrite but he is not a bad GM in my opinion.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:07 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Where is Sather?
Glen Sather watches most, if not all, of the Ranger games from his office located above the luxury boxes on the 7th Ave side.

01-12-2007, 01:24 PM
dank

i think i saw him there last night.. not sure though, i did see John Muckler.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Sather is not terrible. He's not great, and I don't think he's the man for this job, but with the Isiah Thomases and Matt Millens of the world out there, he is FAR from the worst.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:35 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:

Sad.......
First, I think Mad Mike was MUCH worse than Glenn can ever be.

Second, I believe (just like the Knicks) all of Dolan's boys were told to watch what they say to the Media. While Isiah dances around the Media very carefully - Sather I think decides to just not say anything at all. Nothing wrong with that.

Third, Where does it say on your ticket that you are coming to the garden to watch Sather? Where in his contract does it say he has to be in the open for you to watch him on MSG TV or at the garden?

Fourth, Renney is not a horrid coach. He did well in Van and he has done well here. Renney is not the best coach in the world but hes FAR from the worst. Leave him alone.

As for the other comments, thats just BS. How do you know he was laughing at the NYR or any of that nonsense.

The man has made his mark in the NHL, he got lucky with some great signings (Gretzky) BUT he still HAD to make them.

Sather is fine & all I can say is thank God we don't have a much worse GM.

Now would I prefer a better GM or Coach or Players? Of Course, but as of right now they are our GM and Coach and players and we as fans should support them until they no longer are.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:36 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Well he just claimed Krog so that further solidifies your argument.
Krog's pretty good, have you seen him play?

Old
01-12-2007, 02:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Krog's pretty good, have you seen him play?
A little. This statement was more of a gut reaction after it just happened.

I have to see how Krog fits in and plays on the Rangers before i retract that statement.

It sounded good at the time. Hopefully Krog demonstrates that hes pretty good.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:09 PM
dave4

Quote:
First, I think Mad Mike was MUCH worse than Glenn can ever be.

Second, I believe (just like the Knicks) all of Dolan's boys were told to watch what they say to the Media. While Isiah dances around the Media very carefully - Sather I think decides to just not say anything at all. Nothing wrong with that.

Third, Where does it say on your ticket that you are coming to the garden to watch Sather? Where in his contract does it say he has to be in the open for you to watch him on MSG TV or at the garden?

Fourth, Renney is not a horrid coach. He did well in Van and he has done well here. Renney is not the best coach in the world but hes FAR from the worst. Leave him alone.

As for the other comments, thats just BS. How do you know he was laughing at the NYR or any of that nonsense.

The man has made his mark in the NHL, he got lucky with some great signings (Gretzky) BUT he still HAD to make them.

Now would I prefer a better GM or Coach or Players? Of Course, but as of right now they are our GM and Coach and players and we as fans should support them until they no longer are.
Wow.

I didn't know I could disagree with someone in so many ways. It's rare you find such a staunch defender for a person with the record he's achieved.

Mad Mike was MUCH worse? How do you define MUCH worse? MUCH worse than no playoff wins in his entire tenure? MUCH worse than hiring a string of terrible coaches? MUCH worse than hiring Brian Trottier because he filled out a questionnaire long-hand?

I don't go to the Garden to watch Sather, and if he were there, I wouldn't be watching him. I just don't know if he's even around, or has a clue what's going on...because what's going on isn't good. Nobody keeps a lower profile than Lou Lamoriello, but you see him at the games, and he occasionally talks to the media. You don't even get THAT from Sather.

He commented all the time about how easy it would be for him to run a team with unlimited resources, that's how I know. Then when he got the chance he embarassed himself.

Yeah, the man made his mark in the NHL...25 years ago. He should go to the Hall of Fame...and leave us alone.

Yeah, thank God we don't have a worse GM than Sather...where would we be? Out of the playoffs? Been there. How much worse of a GM can he possibly be?

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
chosen

Quote:
He didn't sign Gretzky and wasn't the GM then.

Quote:
Which GM has a worse drafting record than him since he got here?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 04:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
That sounds very similar to "we should support our President because he is our President." Now, THAT sure worked out well .

Old
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I have to say that aside from that he did in the early years in Edmonton, when he actually had to manage a roster that didn't include a boatload of HOF'ers he's been less than ordinary.

While in Edmonton. he complained that if he had the Rangers budget he would never lose a game. I assume he never thought he'd ever get the chance because when it happened, he spit the bit.

His signings have been without direction,

his record for coaching choices has been atrocious (including Renney)

his drafting record over the last 7 years has left us with 1 gem in Staal, and a few maybe's in Dubinsky and Sanguenettitttittii ahhh whatever.

His inability to get this team the 2nd line center it so desperately needs is still a pock on his house.

His vision of a finesse oriented team is coming back to bite him in the rearend.

And to be honest, without Jagr and the other 2 guys having career years last year, this team is not in the PO's. If both Nylander and Straka has normal typical seasons, instead of Bob Sanguinetti we'd have, oh who am I kidding, we could have had the 4th overall pick and still taken Bob Sanguinetti.

I'm done ranting

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:07 PM
shoothepuck

While he's not the worst, he's not that good either, and NY deserves better. His reputation and hockey sense from his Edmonton days, are far behind him.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Hm...
claiming Jason Krog
York for Poti
Low-Muckler-Trottier
Signing Dunham
Signing Hall
Putting together a non-physical, not physically engaged, emotional, or intense team

that's only a few. Very small portion...and it still says enough

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:26 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Hm...
claiming Jason Krog
York for Poti
Low-Muckler-Trottier
Signing Dunham
Signing Hall
Putting together a non-physical, not physically engaged, emotional, or intense team

Muckler was not a Sather coach.

01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
He didn't sign Gretzky and wasn't the GM then.

Which GM has a worse drafting record than him since he got here?
I was trying to say he got lucky with Gretzky, You can't do so bad when you have the great one on your team. Pocklington laid the ground work and Sather finished it.

Old
01-12-2007, 06:33 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That sounds very similar to "we should support our President because he is our President." Now, THAT sure worked out well .
I'm pro Bush. So We could argue this to death but lets not based on this is a HfBoards.

Old
01-12-2007, 06:35 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Wow.

I didn't know I could disagree with someone in so many ways. It's rare you find such a staunch defender for a person with the record he's achieved.

Mad Mike was MUCH worse? How do you define MUCH worse? MUCH worse than no playoff wins in his entire tenure? MUCH worse than hiring a string of terrible coaches? MUCH worse than hiring Brian Trottier because he filled out a questionnaire long-hand?

I don't go to the Garden to watch Sather, and if he were there, I wouldn't be watching him. I just don't know if he's even around, or has a clue what's going on...because what's going on isn't good. Nobody keeps a lower profile than Lou Lamoriello, but you see him at the games, and he occasionally talks to the media. You don't even get THAT from Sather.

He commented all the time about how easy it would be for him to run a team with unlimited resources, that's how I know. Then when he got the chance he embarassed himself.

Yeah, the man made his mark in the NHL...25 years ago. He should go to the Hall of Fame...and leave us alone.

Yeah, thank God we don't have a worse GM than Sather...where would we be? Out of the playoffs? Been there. How much worse of a GM can he possibly be?

Have you seen the players Mad Mike traded? Its Crazy.

I'm not gonna bother with this one, You don't like him. Thats fine. I don't like him either but I'm not going to BASH him.

Even the BEST GM's make mistakes. Look at Lou in jersey with Alex Mogilny and Malakhov!

Old
01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I'm pro Bush. So We could argue this to death but lets not based on this is a HfBoards.
Agreed. But still, just because we are stuck with Sather and Renney doesn't mean we should support them! If I think that they are HURTING the franchise, both long and short term, why on earth would I support them? I wouldn't. That's my point.

Old
01-12-2007, 10:03 PM
GarretJoseph*

I agree with you. I agree that they ARE hurting the team but my point is that Sather is not the WORST gm in Hockey, never mind Sports.

Old
01-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Wrong NY GM, Isiah Thomas is the worst, by far and away.

btw, I personally think Sather is a pretty decent GM.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:21 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Hm...
claiming Jason Krog
York for Poti
Low-Muckler-Trottier
Signing Dunham
Signing Hall

Both were trades and Dunham played sensational in 02-03 before having a less than stellar 03-04

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:48 AM
dedalus

Quote:
That is one of the most depressing things I've read in a long time.

Is this what we've been reduced to? Thanking God that we have a GM who has managed one playoff humiliation in a 7-year tenure?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Fletch

Tbbb...

Dunham was a darn good goalie for the Rangers - almost getting them into the playoffs in his first season - had they had a bit of scoring, they most surely would've been there. His second season the coach didin't recognize that Dunham wasn't a workhorse and had trouble playing too much in short stretches. Kept fresh, he was actually pretty good as a Ranger. Injuries were a problem, but I don't think he was such a bad goalie. Remember what the Rangers' defense looked like when he came to the Rangers, then look at his stats, then compare those stats to Richter and Blackburn.

Perhaps the price paid (Zidlicky that is) was too much, although I've never been overly inmpressed with his defensive abilities, but as an offensive/PP specialist.

Of course, at the time, the Rangers desparately needed a goalie.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote