Erskine needs to go

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 12:27 AM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Erskine needs to go

We've all seen what Erskine can do and its just not enough. Sweeney and 20 year old Daley are better than this guy for crying out loud. He can't hit very well and is a defensive liability. Having another big, mean, stay-at-home defensemen in Matt Nickerson only makes getting rid of Erskine more of a no-brainer. Lets bring up Jancevski, MacMillan, or Vagner for the time being and cut our losses with Erskine.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow
We've all seen what Erskine can do and its just not enough. Sweeney and 20 year old Daley are better than this guy for crying out loud. He can't hit very well and is a defensive liability. Having another big, mean, stay-at-home defensemen in Matt Nickerson only makes getting rid of Erskine more of a no-brainer. Lets bring up Jancevski, MacMillan, or Vagner for the time being and cut our losses with Erskine.
I agree, he can't skate, and really, he jsut doesn't do anything useful out there, even the penalties he take are generally stupid ones. I don't think we are rewarding Jancevski for his good play at Utah.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:00 AM
OttMorrow

We also still might be able to get a decent draft pick in return for him.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:08 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
We also still might be able to get a decent draft pick in return for him.
Yes although I think packaged with a top player that we are looking to trade, like Arnott, to make whatever deal the stars will make look sweeter.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:13 AM
OttMorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
Yes although I think packaged with a top player that we are looking to trade, like Arnott, to make whatever deal the stars will make look sweeter.
An interesting idea. Another possibility is packaging him with Bacashuia/Ellis/Stephan/Smith in a trade for some more offense. Maybe to the Capitals for Bondra. The Caps are looking to dump Kolzig and may be in the market for goaltender prospects.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
An interesting idea. Another possibility is packaging him with Bacashuia/Ellis/Stephan/Smith in a trade for some more offense. Maybe to the Capitals for Bondra. The Caps are looking to dump Kolzig and may be in the market for goaltender prospects.
Hmm, Id rather they went after Satan. He's younger, and im not sure, but i think his contract is less.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:25 AM
OttMorrow

Quote:
Hmm, Id rather they went after Satan. He's younger, and im not sure, but i think his contract is less.
Satan wouldn't be bad either.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:30 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Satan wouldn't be bad either.
Either that or go after a higher draft pick. They were trying to do this in last years draft but had no takers. With a higher no.1 pick to deal this year, maybe they might do so. I'm very high on Schremp from what i have seen, this is a player who truly could be like Forsberg. He will likely end up going 5-10 because of the attitude problems. Modano is going downhill and a replacement is required.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:32 AM
OttMorrow

Quote:
Either that or go after a higher draft pick. They were trying to do this in last years draft but had no takers. With a higher no.1 pick to deal this year, maybe they might do so. I'm very high on Schremp from what i have seen, this is a player who truly could be like Forsberg. He will likely end up going 5-10 because of the attitude problems. Modano is going downhill and a replacement is required.
McGrath and Tukonen would be nice too. Both would fall under the category of snipers or "gamebreakers".

Old
01-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
McGrath and Tukonen would be nice too. Both would fall under the category of snipers or "gamebreakers".
Yes Tukonen would be nice. McGrath is a bit small though, and a little more of a reach to be a top Nhl player. Likely he will drop at the draft and be available at our pick in any case. But in speaking of a replacement for Modano, Schremp would be perfect.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:40 AM
Dundalis

The so called "attitude" that he has, when in the NHL, will actually be a good thing, rather than a bad thing I believe.
Someone here said that a defensemen would be the way to go, I would not agree, but Meszaros, is like a better skating, version of Zubov. Great passing skills.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:42 AM
c-carp

Quote:
From an outsider point of view Erskine does alright if you let him do his role and dont ask him to do too much?

Old
01-26-2004, 01:43 AM
OttMorrow

Quote:
The so called "attitude" that he has, when in the NHL, will actually be a good thing, rather than a bad thing I believe.
Someone here said that a defensemen would be the way to go, I would not agree, but Meszaros, is like a better skating, version of Zubov. Great passing skills.
What is this "attitude problem" anyway.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
What is this "attitude problem" anyway.
He forced a trade from his team Mississauga, which caused an uproar, cause it was supposedly a selfish move to further his career....

Old
01-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
From an outsider point of view Erskine does alright if you let him do his role and dont ask him to do too much?
His role is to be physical and be a force and keep players off the crease, an intimidating defensemen. No he does not do that, maybe an occassion if he feels like it. The rest of the time he is lost.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:53 AM
OttMorrow

Quote:
He forced a trade from his team Mississauga, which caused an uproar, cause it was supposedly a selfish move to further his career....
Ehh, doesn't bother me that much. I still want to stab myself in the face everytime I hear O'Sullivan's name mentioned knowing that we passed him up 2 or 3 times for attitude problems.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:54 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Ehh, doesn't bother me that much. I still want to stab myself in the face everytime I hear O'Sullivan's name mentioned knowing that we passed him up 2 or 3 times for attitude problems.
Haha, exactly. Heaps of the top players have attitude and ego problems anyway, it is a common thing.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:03 AM
Dundalis

Pronger is a UFA at the end of the season. It would be awesome if the stars were able to take him. Though with his asking price it would only be likely if Guerin and Turgeon were gone. I'd give up both of them to get him too, even if Guerin is our top scorer.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:05 AM
OttMorrow

Quote:
Pronger is a UFA at the end of the season. It would be awesome if the stars were able to take him. Though with his asking price it would only be likely if Guerin and Turgeon were gone.
Yeah it would be great to get Pronger, but I doubt the Blues will make the same mistake we did last year in getting rid of their best defensemen/long-time captain.

Old
01-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Not to nitpick, but nearly every defenseman is enjoying a sub-par season, not sure why anyone would single out John Erskine. Must be HF's fetish with youth.. He's been a heavyweight fighter this season, he hasn't been dissapointing, but I agree, he can easily be better.

Closed Thread