HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backhand thesis

Old
12-20-2013, 12:15 PM
American in Paris

vCash: 500
Backhand thesis

Some guy wrote his thesis on the hockey backhand. Makes for some interesting reading if you feel like geeking out...

https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/han...pdf?sequence=1

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Onetimersniper28

Wow. I didn't know there was such a thing as a backhand one-timer. I'll try that next time.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 07:10 PM
PensFreak

Thoroughly unimpressed. So many spelling errors- not even hidden, but in titles- made it unreadable. I still gave it my best effort, but to me it looked like a guy who had to write a 40+ page paper was just like, 'I can BS about different hockey things for like 50 pages, no sweat, especially with so much white space'

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:18 AM
BearFlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
.... to me it looked like a guy who had to write a 40+ page paper was just like, 'I can BS about different hockey things for like 50 pages, no sweat, especially with so much white space'
I know what you mean:
"Ice hockey sticks are essential to play the game; it is fair to say that after skate’s, sticks are the second most important equipment hockey player needs."

It's cool that he can gets to at least write his thesis about it though. I don't think my university offered a degree in Sports & Leisure Management. I had to write my thesis on a more uninteresting topic such the Price Elasticity of Demand.

BearFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 02:54 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFlag View Post
I know what you mean:
"Ice hockey sticks are essential to play the game; it is fair to say that after skate’s, sticks are the second most important equipment hockey player needs."

It's cool that he can gets to at least write his thesis about it though. I don't think my university offered a degree in Sports & Leisure Management. I had to write my thesis on a more uninteresting topic such the Price Elasticity of Demand.
(mod edit) Stick is more essential then skates... People totally play hockey in shoes (ball hockey, deck hockey whatever...). The game changes much more fundamentally if you remove sticks then skates. I would definitely disagree with the order of importance there.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-23-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: language
scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
Wow. I didn't know there was such a thing as a backhand one-timer. I'll try that next time.
Sometimes that's the only way to get your stick on a goofy pass where you know you won't be able to control it otherwise

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:48 PM
TrueBlue86

lol beats my Master's thesis on polymer functionalization chemistry and applications

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFreak View Post
Thoroughly unimpressed. So many spelling errors- not even hidden, but in titles- made it unreadable. I still gave it my best effort, but to me it looked like a guy who had to write a 40+ page paper was just like, 'I can BS about different hockey things for like 50 pages, no sweat, especially with so much white space'
I was under the impression that the dude was a foreigner and English is his second language... am I wrong?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:24 AM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I was under the impression that the dude was a foreigner and English is his second language... am I wrong?
still, your thesis should get edited many times by your supervisor before any publication

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Canadiens1958

Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
still, your thesis should get edited many times by your supervisor before any publication
Looks like an unofficial, web translation from Finnish.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The topic is intriguing but reading that paper...I sure hope it wasn't for a college course or anything. What's the point of the paper? It's not really shedding new light on anything. Seemed like half the paper was reading out of the rule book.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Guys, it's a Bachelor's degree thesis from a country where English is not the primary language. Cut him some slack.

Anyway, there is still too much blabbering going on, I bet the relevant information can be reduced to 5 pages or so.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote