HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Perceived Attendance Issues

Old
12-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
What else is there to do downtown other than Sports and bars?

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Skew06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Walk around and get shot at?

Skew06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:38 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
City Museum, the Arch, Schlafly Brewery, Busch, etc. There's stuff, but nothing that really brings people in, but that's no different from most cities. The problem with downtown is its lack of ability to attract people to live there.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
The problem with downtown is that it does not flow easily to any area with preferred night-time spots. This is partially due to the highways and partially due to St. Louis mucking with natural flow by trying to funnel people to a particular area (Landing, St. Louis Mall, etc.) rather than allowing things to grow a bit more organically.
The closest area would be Washington Ave and often that caters to a slightly different crowd than what typically attends Blues games. Everything else is going to likely require a vehicle of some sort to get to.

As far as companies not moving to the St. Louis core, much of that is because once a company is of sufficient size the city earnings tax (amongst other short-sighted ones) becomes a negative...in particular for attracting talent that has moved from the city. The north side is a de-militarized zone and the city politicians there are so short-sighted and self-serving it is nearly impossible for anyone to do business with them.

There are some serious issues that are difficult to overcome with any team in St. Louis not named the Cardinals. St. Louis city tends to shoot itself in the foot at every opportunity and unfortunately I have seen no real improvement in this for decades.
Not expecting to at this point either.

Multimoodia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Itsnotatrap

vCash: 568
Unfortunately, I think most of it is that the casual fan is simply at the point where they want to see what happens in the playoffs, so whatever happens until then gets only cautious and guarded support at best. I guess I get it to some extent. It's in the back of my mind, as I am sure it is everyone.

Still, it's a 6 month season. The team is talented, generally works hard, and has won at a high rate year after year. If you can't enjoy 6 months of winning, because you are worried about how quickly it will all end, then what's the point? I choose to try not to think about the playoffs much until the stretch run, but a lot of people don't or can't do that. You hear it again and again.

I don't ever like to tell people how to spend their money, but on a macro level...yeah, it's irritating. Stillman and company are spending the money, and I gather most everybody on this board gets that it will have to improve on our end for it to continue long term.

Itsnotatrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:31 PM
SavageSteve

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsnotatrap View Post
I don't ever like to tell people how to spend their money, but on a macro level...yeah, it's irritating. Stillman and company are spending the money, and I gather most everybody on this board gets that it will have to improve on our end for it to continue long term.
I think part you emphasize of them spending money is only part of the point... What are they doing to make people want to go to the games other than winning or spending cash on players? There has to be a value to the ticket holder beyond just supporting the 'home team'. It has to become an 'event' and/or offer a 'release; to separate from the Cardinals to some extent. Leipold in Nashville had a severe disconnect in that he spent money the same way and tended to alienate local businesses and fans with a 'look at what I'm doing for the city' mentality instead of realizing its an entertainment option at its core. To be honest when your renewals are up, I'd ask your ticket rep about 'what value you get beyond the games as a season ticket holder?' It couldn't hurt to put that bug in their ears and get them creative...

Also something else that I never considered before this: How much extra cash is being spent on going to Mizzou football games now that they were competitive in the SEC? There are only a finite number of dollars in disposable income and there was a large contingent of Mizzou fans in Atlanta in December. When Univ of Tenn (aka UT) was in the hunt for national titles, there was a mass exodus of the alma mater out of Nashville for Knoxville in the Fall making attendance horrible till January. Since UT has slacked off, attendance in the Fall has never been higher.

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote