HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers claim Jason Krog

Old
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I like those lines, not to exited about Krog, but if hes any better than Orr and Hall. Its worth giving him a shoot.
Or at the worst I am hoping that he is a better fit then thoose two are and Immonen.

Not necessary a much better player then guys like Hall and Immonen, but a much better fit hopefully.

Anyway I think its a good move, if it doesn't workout it doesn't, we didn't pay anything.

Last edited by Ola: 01-13-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:30 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

People need to get a grip. This pickup is short term. It allows the young players to continue to develop. Krog over Immonen, why? As renney has said, he's concerned about his speed. Look what Krog brings to the table, speed. I like Immonen. I think this pickup does signal the end of Immonen in the NYR organization. He will be included in a trade near the deadline. I am as frustrated as everyone, but at least we are showing patience and not pulling the trigger on any deals that may have a short benefit and hurt us long term. We have had a long history of doing that and it is nice to see us stop doing it.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:03 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Regarding acquiring Jason Krog to NYR
Not a really a bad move imo.But as I see it now – the following 7 players are fighting for 2-3 playing slots + 1 reserve (on the bottom 2 lines):

Hall – Ward – Orr – Immonen - Hossa – Krog – Ibister

Time to wheel and deal imo if you want to attempt to make a good run this year. And who – honestly – does not want a good result this year as the most essential and important thing as a sports fan??

Keep 3 of these guys and trade 3 (or 4) + a high draft pick and some minor league stuff for 2 new players that can contribute

Get – Veteran center (Conroy/Nagy/Forsberg/Sundin) for nr 1 or 2 pick and J Immonen + a minor league player
My ranking of these center options is:
Forsberg. The best of the lot. To be seen as a rental. The Flyers might take this deal if the numbers are right. Forsbergs injuries are of course really worrying, but imo they are worth taking a chance on. He needs to find the right skate and the right team. The yaer in Philly has been a nightmare for the organisation and him.Time to move on. What an explosive offensive combo of 1st 2 lines The Rangers would have!
Conroy. A good and more affordable choice. The Kings will be looking to acquire youth for him. Definitely a plausible possible imo
Nagy. Would have been more realistic 2 weeks ago when the Yotes were struggling and his game was a bit off – but still a viable option.
Sundin. A great player looking for a chance at getting a Cup ring. Doubtful if the Leafs will move him unless offered a real lot of future stuff. Can be seen as a “run for the cup” rental only. May retire after this season.

M Nilsson + D McCarthy in Calgary for Hall, Ward, lower draftpick + ev Orr
This is an interesting trade. Nilsson has been injured a while – but due for a comeback. A doasble 2-way 3rd liner imo. Even Steven for Hall ? Getting McCarthy for Orr and Ward might be unrealistic...

How does this lineup look?:

Nylander – Straka – Jagr
Shanny – Forsberg - Prucha
Hossa – Cullen – M Nilsson
Hollweg – Betts – Ortmeyer

Reserves then adding some depth are then – McCarthy, Krog, Ibister, Callahan, Dawes, (Orr), Korkiposki
I would not sign Allison

But The Rangers Real Problem – as everyone knows and admits – is the quality & consistency on defensive line.
So:
Get – E Brewer + ev defensive minor league defenseman – St Louis for Malik + Montoya/draft pick
The Blues would get a top 6 defensemen with statistically good +/- rating (we all really know the truth though) and a talent for a UFA they seem unwilling to sign. I think New York would be exactly the right place for Eric Brewer.

Get - A Lilja – Detroit for Kaspar + future considerations or add C Orr
I think Detroit actually might do this deal if a salary incentive was offered regarding Kaspar.

These deals are – if I count correctly and done say after 50 games – adding about (Forsberg 2 M USD +, Brewer +/- 0, M Nilsson/McCarthy +500, Lilja -500 if some of Kaspars salary is absorbed) adding about 2 million to the limit in cap space which is now about this if I am not incorrect

Brewer - Rachunek
Ward - Tyutin
Lilja – Rozsival

Reserves are then: Pock, Baranka, Ozolonish (which you just cannot dump to anyone due to his play & numbers, payroll, health, age and personal reasons)
I would not sign B Leach

You would sacrifice some unpolished and talented youth – Yes, namely being:

A nr 1 draft pick (which would probably be botched anyway)
Immonen (with whom the organisation believes to be too slow and has lost faith in)
A draft pick or Montoya (face it – Henrik L will be the Rangers franchise goaltender for 10 years to come and The Rangers need a “savior” on the blue line NOW)

But most of the real future talent (ie Lundquist, Prucha, Staal, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Dawes, Sanguuinetti, Moore, Sauer, Baranka, Callahan, Jessiman?, Korkiposki...) is still left in the organization. I would also try to draft goalkeeper Jhonas Enroth this year too! A real talent. And with the above team – there is really no way of knowing how far they would go this year come playoffs – which they would DEFINITELY make. Swept in 4 would not even be an option if the chemistry is allowed to develop.
The problem would be who to sign & keep and who to drop – in June maybe???

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Fletch

SoS..

it is sad, however, when the Rangers have to turn to a 31 year old who's been up and down in the NHL over his career. His faceoff ability on the fourth line is pretty good, and he's a pretty quick player from what I can recall, which is what Renney wants on the bottom two lines. But I just don't know who he replaces. Everyone keeps saying Hall, but he's actually a decent PKer (although was a more valuable PKer on a better PK team last season, oddly enough, but Renney never saw that). I guess I'm just frustrated. I really don't have much confidence in the coach and GM, and that's what it really boils down to for me.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:26 AM
polako

I don't see how Orr has been dragged into this discussion, b/c I just don't see one replacing the other permanently. Like many have said, Krog, like Orr, is a 13th forward. I'm sure each will get his fair share of games, and I also happen to believe that each brings something to the team that the other does not.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
I don't see how Orr has been dragged into this discussion, b/c I just don't see one replacing the other permanently. Like many have said, Krog, like Orr, is a 13th forward. I'm sure each will get his fair share of games, and I also happen to believe that each brings something to the team that the other does not.
That's the difference. Many do not believe that Orr brings something to the team. Even if you do, you're now committed to a 12th forward that will only get 5 shifts, and just how much of a contribution anyone make with that kind of ice time? It boils down to playing 11 forwards and 3 lines, or 12 forwards and 4 lines when Orr is involved.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Fletch

That's it, MJ...

many do not feel Orr brings anything to the table, which is different than other 'enforcers' throughout the league. Winning a fight here and there just sometimes doesn't warrant giving up a spot in the lineup that can be taken up by someone more serviceable. If Orr's not a deterrent, then having him in there does very little (or so it's believed). That's the key.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it is sad, however, when the Rangers have to turn to a 31 year old who's been up and down in the NHL over his career. His faceoff ability on the fourth line is pretty good, and he's a pretty quick player from what I can recall, which is what Renney wants on the bottom two lines. But I just don't know who he replaces. Everyone keeps saying Hall, but he's actually a decent PKer (although was a more valuable PKer on a better PK team last season, oddly enough, but Renney never saw that). I guess I'm just frustrated. I really don't have much confidence in the coach and GM, and that's what it really boils down to for me.
I agree with you but I think you can replace Hall on the PK with Krog..

Halls pk partner is Hossa which means you can only have them come on the ice on the fly..If you replace Hall with Krog and pair Krog with Hossa you can have them take faceoffs...

I'm frustrated too and i have no confidence in Renney but even if Krog skates with one leg he would still be better than guys like Orr...

Also if this move doesn't work out the Rangers didn't give up anything...

this is a no risk....low reward move but if the low reward is 10% more faceoff wins...in a close game...that could be the differeance...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
even if Krog skates with one leg he would still be better than guys like Orr...
But whos gonna fight

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Would Renney PLEASE

put Krog on a line with prucha?? PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE? Krog does NOT, I repeat he does NOT belong on the 4th line...we are talking about a prolific scorer (led AHL before recalled by atlanta) who won the hobey baker, plays with tenacity, wins faceoffs and is a beautiful playmaker. They'd compliment each other nicely, we don't need 4 scoring lines we need three, krog-prucha-cullen or krog-prucha-hall would be a superb 3rd line

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
See...now Immonen is going to be missed. Seriously...we send Jarko down for this fool? This team really doesn't understand it's problems, it's unbelievable.
This "fool" won the hobey baker. He was leading the AHL in scoring, over guys like raduolv (in case you noticed, radulov is 9-11-20 in 31 games with nashville). Wake up.

Old
01-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Balej20*

Prolific scorer, eh?

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:25 PM
in the hall

well this thread intrigued me enough to check him out.. the dude is almost 32 (why did we claim him again?!)

doubt he will find his scoring touch in the NHL

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00027657

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Yeah he wasn't given a chance at the NHL level. Atlanta's offense is too deep, with the rangers, he is a very very good 3rd liner. He was leading the AHL in scoring until he was recalled. He had more gaols-assys-points than guys like radulov. Oh and Radulov's doing okay; just 9-11-20 in 32 games with nashville. Krog is a hobey baker winner, he currently IS the best AHL scorer, and can score 20 goals a year at the NHL level. It's sad nobody nurtured him earlier on, because he easily could have been a legit 30-40 goal scorer with his skills.

Old
01-15-2007, 09:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
This "fool" won the hobey baker. He was leading the AHL in scoring, over guys like raduolv (in case you noticed, radulov is 9-11-20 in 31 games with nashville). Wake up.
Mike Mottau also won the hobey baker, and where has he been???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
Mike Mottau also won the hobey baker, and where has he been???
Did mottau dominate in the AHL, leading the league in scoring over proven talents, as Krog has this season? No? I suggest you review your scheme of attack on this one.

Old
01-15-2007, 09:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Did mottau dominate in the AHL, leading the league in scoring over proven talents, as Krog has this season? No? I suggest you review your scheme of attack on this one.
I think he's just pointing out that awards won in college mean absolutely nothing at the pro level. Your argument would have been fine without mention of the Hobey Baker.

Though at the same time, Mike Mottau DID record 58 points last season in the AHL, good for sixth among defenseman.

Alas, it does seem that performance at the AHL means little. That being said, Krog is okay.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 11:50 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

i'd love to get PJ Axelsson

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:45 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Mottau is in Jersey!
Yeah, at this moment Krog >>> Immonen. If Jarkko ain't ready, I have no problem with this acquisition. Let Dubinsky continue to develop in the A. He isn't exactly dominating down there. Neither is Jarkko.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Esa 10

So far, Krog's "contribution" has amounted to pushing Prucha down to the 4th line. Unless it's a one game thing, what we have on our hands is a new Brent Fedyk. I could care less what this guy did in college years ago or what he's accomplished as an over-30 playing against much younger competition in the AHL. Unless he produces immediately and then does it on a consistent basis, he shouldn't get any more time than Isbister. Izzy got 2 or 3 games. Krog shouldn't be treated differently.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That's the difference. Many do not believe that Orr brings something to the team. Even if you do, you're now committed to a 12th forward that will only get 5 shifts, and just how much of a contribution anyone make with that kind of ice time? It boils down to playing 11 forwards and 3 lines, or 12 forwards and 4 lines when Orr is involved.
Amazing how untrue that is. The only time 4 lines are not rolled with Orr in are late in the 3rd when we double shift Jags down by 1-2. Otherwise same as every other night

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
But whos gonna fight
Don't get the joke? Krog is?

Old
01-16-2007, 02:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
He was leading the what in scoring?! Yep. 31 yrs old and where is he!? Yep. Bottom line.

Old
01-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Edge

Quote:
Think you gotta be careful with that approach. The history of hockey is filled with many HUGE minor league scorers who just couldn't translate that into NHL production.

In an ironic move, this kind of puts things full circle for Krog. Coming out of college he was a pretty coveted free agent and the Rangers were one of the final teams that lost out on bidding for him, in fact I think they may've been in the final 3 before he finally ended up on Long Island.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote