HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Myers for Ryan O'Reilly in the offseason?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Myers for Ryan O'Reilly in the offseason?
Yes 16 29.09%
No 39 70.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2013, 10:00 AM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Would you trade Myers for Ryan O'Reilly in the offseason?

EDIT: can a mod please add a poll to this thread? Just a yes and no, please.

We've discussed this ad nauseum for quite some time, but I'm curious to see the consensus via poll.

Despite Myers' resurgence, would you move him for Ryan O'Reilly if the opportunity presented itself in the off season?

-Both players are in their fifth NHL season.
-It'd be trading from a position of strength (defense) for a position of weakness (NHL centers/defensively responsible NHL centers/defensively responsible top six forwards).

What say you?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Takeo

If it's been discussed ad nauseum, you should have a general idea of the pervading opinion. I'm not sure what exactly a poll accomplishes.

Takeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:15 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
I could see a case for yes/no. I would definitely consider it but probably pass because I still think Myers is going to be a good top pairing D in this league. If we walk away with Aaron Ekblad at the draft I would be more tempted too make a move. Right now Zadorov and Ristolainen are still question marks so I wouldn't consider defence a strength at the NHL level. Since we are so early into the rebuild I would rather wait to see what we got in Grigo, Girgs, Armia, Larsson and others before making a big move like this.

The way the NHL is trending you are going to be in good number of games scoring 2-3 goals, if you have an incredible D and good goaltending you are going to come out on top alot of the time. If Myers, Ristolainen and Zadorov end up to what people think they can then I build the defence around them for the long term.

Last edited by 1972: 12-21-2013 at 10:22 AM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:36 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
If it's been discussed ad nauseum, you should have a general idea of the pervading opinion. I'm not sure what exactly a poll accomplishes.
Given Myers' resurgence of late, I think it's a fair poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I could see a case for yes/no. I would definitely consider it but probably pass because I still think Myers is going to be a good top pairing D in this league. If we walk away with Aaron Ekblad at the draft I would be more tempted too make a move. Right now Zadorov and Ristolainen are still question marks so I wouldn't consider defence a strength at the NHL level. Since we are so early into the rebuild I would rather wait to see what we got in Grigo, Girgs, Armia, Larsson and others before making a big move like this.

The way the NHL is trending you are going to be in good number of games scoring 2-3 goals, if you have an incredible D and good goaltending you are going to come out on top alot of the time. If Myers, Ristolainen and Zadorov end up to what people think they can then I build the defence around them for the long term.
Building from the D out is fine by me. Adding a player of O'Reilly's ilk is hard to pass on though.

Old
12-21-2013, 10:37 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Decidedly meh. RO'R is way more of a "level" player, and I'm going to be scared ****less of Myers starting the season next year unless (and maybe even if) Nolan remains behind the bench. That being said, I think Myers has the slightly higher upside, and we can keep slow cooking him and prioritizing his development over team success for another 1.5 seasons at least.

Get back to me at the end of the season, really.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:48 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

No way. Myers is finally starting to play like the D-man we hoped he would become. I'd rather ride it out with him.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:49 AM
tsujimoto74

I'd rather not. No doubt ROR is a very valuable player and one I'd love to have on this team, but Myers' upside is just too much for me to give up for O'Reilly, especially with how well he's played this season.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:54 AM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I'd say no, but it's probably the fairest and closest one-for-one deal with Myers involved.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:56 AM
JPurp26

Definitley considers thought. If we draft Ekblad than I would likely do it. We would still have Ehrhoff who prefers his right side, Risto, Ekblad, and Pysyk on the right side. ROR is a rare player who has intangibles that winning teams need.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
ozpensfan

Absolutely no chance in hell do you trade a top 2 defenceman with Myers ability for someone to plug into the 2nd line spot. You all ready have cody Hodgson for the 1a / 2nd line spot so why bring in the same kindgof player. Buffalo needs a certified #1 center which Myers could bring. As a Pittsburgh fan first (girlfriend cheers for buffalo so I watch every game buffalo plays) and having a soft spot for buffalo - just look at whay alex goligoski got.. James Neal and Matt niskanen. Tyler Myers is leaps and bounds ahead of goligoski. Myers / zadarov and physk with mcnabb is the future.

ozpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:27 AM
ZeroPT*
He's comin for us!!

Nope. Sure ROR is a nice piece but the sheer potential Myers has is just, mouthwatering. he could be a 6"8, physical,PMD,PPQB. I mean, how many of that is there in the world? he's unique, exceptional, especially when he's allowed the freedom to play at his strengths. O'rielly is a damn nice piece but he's easier to find than Myers. I think we've got our own in Larsson or Girgensons, Myers will lead this team in the future. We'd miss Myers a lot more than ROR.Let our guys develop. No need to move guys who could ultimately lead our core in the future. We should be looking for smaller deals, 1 for 1 prospect swaps, picks for vets not huge deals like this. Stick to the script. Good things happen to those who wait.

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

No, for the same reason most other people said: Myers' upside is simply too high, and he's finally starting to look like he's found his game again.

That said, if the folks running the Sabres don't think he has what it takes on a mental level, then I would do it. But chances are none of us know him as well as they do.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:01 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

I would take my chances with what we have. I'm a big Myers fan and he finally has gotten things turned around under Ted Nolan. No reason to trade him once he's retained his value to the franchise.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:02 PM
slip

No, I wouldn't.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Mike203

No.... Myers ceiling is top 10 D and it finally looks like he's heading that way. Change ROR for Duchene and it's a deal.

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:17 PM
EichHart
HFBoards Sponsor

I would if Eckblad is consensus first overall pick and we hold that pick. If not I keep him and take Reinhart who also plays a two way game with higher offensive upside.

EichHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:21 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
No.... Myers ceiling is top 10 D and it finally looks like he's heading that way. Change ROR for Duchene and it's a deal.
I'm a fan of Myers and I think he's looked very good this year, but I don't find the bolded true at all.

Old
12-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Beerz

We need center men ...especially defensive minded center men....

So no..not this offseason.

We need to be a bad bad team for one more season.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Shoey
Hello.

I'm not doing it, and not because I don't love ROR.

I think they've already got that guy in the organization with Zemgus Girgensons.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:03 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
I'm a fan of Myers and I think he's looked very good this year, but I don't find the bolded true at all.
His ceiling, not where he is now. His ceiling is most certainly a top 10 D. There's isn't much doubt about that.

Keep Myers.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:04 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I'm not doing it, and not because I don't love ROR.

I think they've already got that guy in the organization with Zemgus Girgensons.
LaFontaine and co. seem to want Girgensons on the wing for whatever reason.

Old
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
LaFontaine and co. seem to want Girgensons on the wing for whatever reason.
I think that eventually changes whenever the new coach is brought in. Or at least... I hope so.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
His ceiling, not where he is now. His ceiling is most certainly a top 10 D. There's isn't much doubt about that.

Keep Myers.
Again, I don't think his ceiling is that of a top 10 defenseman in this league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
I think that eventually changes whenever the new coach is brought in. Or at least... I hope so.
I think he should be in Rochester right now getting reps as an all-situations center. I truly don't understand why they wouldn't want a player like Girgensons in the middle.

Old
12-21-2013, 02:27 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

A lot could change in 50 games, but yes i would do it.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Mike203

Quote:
Myers ceiling is top 10D without question. It's not clear if he ever makes it but he has that kind of potential.

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote