HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade Myers for Ryan O'Reilly in the offseason?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Myers for Ryan O'Reilly in the offseason?
Yes 16 29.09%
No 39 70.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Rasmus Reichel

vCash: 500
Tough call but at this point, despite his play of late, Myers hasn't been consistent enough so I'd pull the trigger

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:47 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Again, I don't think his ceiling is that of a top 10 defenseman in this league.

I think he should be in Rochester right now getting reps as an all-situations center. I truly don't understand why they wouldn't want a player like Girgensons in the middle.
Well, you're definitely entitled to your opinion. I couldn't possibly disagree with it more. He has all the tools, and is playing some really good hockey right now. In fact, he's been playing very well for a while now.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 03:09 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

With myers' game back on course, i am remembering exactly why i loved having him on the team. Keep him and watch him continue to develop and blossom into an elite NHL defense man.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Blitz
WANTED: Top-4 LHD...

Since the Zemgus/Larsson combo seems to be able to fill the same Role here that RoR fills for COL I would be hesitant to deal TyMy now that he seems to finally be back on track.

If COL would be willing to work around something with another d-man, perhaps Pysyk - I could definitely get on board with O'Reilly coming to the Queen's city as a shutdown #2/3C.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:26 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Ok....so would you do it for a guy like Kane from the Peg? Addresses the tough guy, rugged, scoring winger. Young, tough, can really put the puck in the net...22..tied up long term....we have up and coming dmen....does a guy like EKane change your thought processes?

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:57 PM
static80

No.........
Just No..........

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:57 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Ok....so would you do it for a guy like Kane from the Peg? Addresses the tough guy, rugged, scoring winger. Young, tough, can really put the puck in the net...22..tied up long term....we have up and coming dmen....does a guy like EKane change your thought processes?
I'd rather have O'Reilly but I still wouldn't pull the trigger.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 05:01 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Tough call but at this point, despite his play of late, Myers hasn't been consistent enough so I'd pull the trigger
And with this statement I question your sanity.
Myers position as a D man combined with the potential still available in such a young asset on a more than reasonable contract long term is just there in the open for all to see.

Let's clear the air here, Myers is not a bust, nor will he be one. Build the team around him needed to be an over all competitive product and his numbers will flourish again. This isn't rocket science, since Tallinder's original departure combined with Myers young age, it was obvious they were putting to much on his shoulders. He's maturing now, let's build the team and come back to these points I've made in 3 to 4 years.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 05:06 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Axmi again at year end

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

The problem is the situation I would want ROR would look like this

xxx - Rienhart - ROR
Armia - Hodgson - Girgensons

But I wouldn't want to trade Myers without Ekblad coming in. If everything craps out and we net Ekblad and McDavid then next season for sure.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

The only way Colorado trades Oreilly is if the suddenly fire their GM and hire Holmgren

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm sure Sakic/Roy would reject it that fast, too. Admittedly I am a huge O'Reilly fan, but I do watch the Avs a lot so I have a pretty good grip on both players. I'm assuming most of you haven't seen him that much (not trying to be condescending... just basing it off the poll) but he's one of the key cogs on one of the better teams in the league, and he's a year younger than Myers. I'd say after a legit #1 center who can be consistently relied upon for offense, the biggest need for the Sabres if a 200 foot center who can be relied upon for any situation. That's what O'Reilly is and then some - he would go such a long way to fixing some huge holes on this team.

I have enjoyed Myers game this season, he's playing better than he has the past few years, but he was playing like absolute **** those years, so let's not pretend just because he's not complete **** he's all of a sudden #1 defenseman. 30 games or so also doesn't justify paying him 5.5 for the next five years. He is not as valuable in a trade as O'Reilly.

Also, for the people pointing to Girgs, teams don't have ONE good two-way forward. You might only have one super talented guy because they're so rare (Bergeron, Zetterberg, Kesler) but the idea that you wouldn't trade for a guy because you have someone, who has played 35 NHL games, since he sorta has a similar skill set is stupid. O'Reilly has been doing this since he was a 18-year old rookie who was a 2nd round pick. He has proven he can do everything well and at a high, consistent level. And amazingly, for the type of game he plays, he hasn't received a single penalty minute this year. That's insane.

This thread may be better on the main boards...

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Driftwood
Ron Rolston Forever

Insta-yes, I am sorta shocked at those poll numbers, wow

Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The only way Colorado trades Oreilly is if the suddenly fire their GM and hire Holmgren
Besides the point. If the opportunity presented itself, would you?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I like the resurgent Condor. But I would be hard pressed to turn down ROR for him as the principles in a deal. Yes, he's looked like he's turned the corner and I do like him back to his offensive-galloping self. That said... I'm leaning a bit to yes at this point.

12-21-2013, 09:29 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I like the resurgent Condor. But I would be hard pressed to turn down ROR for him as the principles in a deal. Yes, he's looked like he's turned the corner and I do like him back to his offensive-galloping self. That said... I'm leaning a bit to yes at this point.
Agreed-ROR is simply more consistent and the sabres desperately need a 200 ft center who can also chip in on offense...he'd be leading this team in scoring with 12 goals and 23 pts in 35 games. Plus, myers has gone through these stretches before where he plays really well and comes back to earth and simply looks like an average top 4 dman

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 09:32 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
OT, but there's always hope he'd be dumb enough to trade us couturier

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Agreed-ROR is simply more consistent and the sabres desperately need a 200 ft center who can also chip in on offense...he'd be leading this team in scoring with 12 goals and 23 pts in 35 games. Plus, myers has gone through these stretches before where he plays really well and comes back to earth and simply looks like an average top 4 dman
Granted, that is with him playing LW with Duchene surging as his center. Still, ROR is the sort of player who allows them to slot the offensive guys into offensive roles and handles the defensive zone heavy starts while driving possession to the other end. I'm not banking yet on any of the Sabres blueline prospects being to Myers level, but they do not have anyone of ROR's ilk at the level O'Reilly's at even in the near future.

A complete, 200' center who can drive possession and provide offense in a defensive role is something this team could certainly use.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:05 PM
slip

Quote:
A complete, 200' center who can drive possession and provide offense in a defensive role is something this team could certainly use.
What about Girgensons in this role? Seems like the perfect candidate given his skill set.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
What about Girgensons in this role? Seems like the perfect candidate given his skill set.
Girgensons in three years, maybe. Granted, if the conversation continues from the Sabres front office, they see him as a power winger more than as a shutdown center so there is that. He's not at O'Reilly's level at the same point in their careers either.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:17 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
As players in their current state, they are about equal. Upside goes to Myers by a mile though, so it's an obvious no.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Girgensons in three years, maybe. Granted, if the conversation continues from the Sabres front office, they see him as a power winger more than as a shutdown center so there is that. He's not at O'Reilly's level at the same point in their careers either.
I'm fine with Girgensons blossoming into this role because I don't expect the team to be very good next year or possibly even the year after that. This rebuild is going to take time, I'd rather acquire players like ROR when the team is ready to win.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:47 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Granted, that is with him playing LW with Duchene surging as his center. Still, ROR is the sort of player who allows them to slot the offensive guys into offensive roles and handles the defensive zone heavy starts while driving possession to the other end. I'm not banking yet on any of the Sabres blueline prospects being to Myers level, but they do not have anyone of ROR's ilk at the level O'Reilly's at even in the near future.

Oddly enough he has been a wing all year. Maybe the new folks running things in Colorado see his role in the same way the Sabres view Girg's in the future

Last edited by joshjull: 12-21-2013 at 10:56 PM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 10:56 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I have my doubts about his defense being as good as ROR's - ROR was already a great defensive player as a teenager in the NHL. Zemgus is pretty good defensively, but I don't think he will be at that level.

I also like what they're doing with him now, but I've wanted a physical winger with offensive skills on this team forever so I'm probably biased

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:25 PM
is the answer jesus

I'd make the trade. O'Reilly's skillset is something we desperately need on this team and while Myers may have the higher ceiling it's also possible he reverts back to the Myers of last year. With O'Reilly you know you're at least getting a guy who'll get you 50-60 points and can handle all the toughest defensive matchups. Bare in mind he's also a year younger than Myers. O'Reilly could very easily be the next Bergeron or Kesler. With Myers he may end up becoming Chara or he may be Boumeester. Another wrinkle to this whole debate is that by making this trade Buffalo opens it's options up come draft time. At this point it'll be very difficult for Buffalo to draft Ekblad if Reinhart is off the board even though those two look to clearly be in a tier of their own.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote