HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to Move Hossa to the 2nd Line? (merged)

Old
01-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hatchattack View Post
with the good puck possesion that hossa has been showing lately, expesialy behind the net, why not try him out as a 2nd line center????
I don't know about center, I rather have Nylander there since he's a playmaker. Shanahan needs a player like Nylander centering him because he's always looking to make the pass, something that benefits Shanahan's lethal shot.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Fletch

The issue that will surface, of course...

we'll learn that Straka is not a centerman...once again!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:47 AM
HOCKEYJOHN

flyline is right

hossa is definatly a second line guy maybe give him some time with jagr ,he will put more points on the board. he has got great hands and a strong skater. what about bringing up montoya for a game i think he will do just as good as weekes.

HOCKEYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
we'll learn that Straka is not a centerman...once again!
Or Ward for that matter. Jesus.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 10:58 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
I don't know about center, I rather have Nylander there since he's a playmaker. Shanahan needs a player like Nylander centering him because he's always looking to make the pass, something that benefits Shanahan's lethal shot.
Agreed. Funny how Nyls actually shot the puck at Broduer and it went in the other night, he has 14 goals yet he totally neglected to shoot last night. Totally.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Again why is Immonen not up CENTERING the 2nd line until we can find a replacement. We have 3 centers on the team, 2 of which belong on the bottom lines... why not use our only other natural center worth anything? I don't get this team. With using Immonen on the 2nd line we can allow Shanny and Prucha to control the puck off of faceoffs, something no other center on this team could do consistently.

As for Hossa, I'm an ardent supporter of him and would love for him to play on the top two lines, but I'm not so sure he's ready yet. His confidence is growing and I'd like for him to become even more comfortable before I destroyed his confidence. Perhaps the whole reason he is doing so well is that not much is expected from him and he is surpassing those expectations with flying colors.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 01:14 PM
SickNice

Where is TB???

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 02:34 PM
McRanger

As much as I dislike Hossa, if hes going to work hard than why not move him up?

Prucha-Straka-Jagr
Hossa-Nylander-Shanahan

as the top 2 lines couldnt possibly be much worse than what we've had.

As for Straka as a center, I dont see how he could be much worse than Nylander. Nylander is pretty weak on faceoffs and barely competant in his own end. At least Straka works hard.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
As with what McRanger said above, at least Hossa works hard. It's time to reward that with some serious minutes. If he sucks, so what? We've gotten precious little from the second line thus far. And then maybe other players will actually WORK to earn a look on the second line. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 03:40 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Hossa has been way above average for the past few weeks on a bottom line. His puck control along the boards gets better and better, he is drawing penalties as well..thing is with all his puck control he has nobody to pass to. He looks around but all his line mates are not in good position. The guy also hits a lot and when he hits its usually a pretty big hit (not like a useless Hall hit)

They moved him on the 2nd line tonight and what does he do? Score a goal. The guy was a scrub last season and before, but it finally looks like he may be breaking out. He is consistently playing good games in both ends and the offense is starting to peak its head out more and more.

At the VERY least if there isnt a spot to move players to get him on the 2nd line then PLEASE just replace him with useless Hall on the 2nd PP unit. With that puck control he possesses he would be a great on the PP.
I've been saying this SINCE last season.

HOSSA needs to be on the TOP LINE. Hes got the skill, the size. HE just needs to get more ice time and I believe he can be a top 6 forward in the NHL.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Sure. Keep the same lineup intact with Orr for Hall

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I would love to see him on the second line for atleast one game, just to see how he performs.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:58 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Hossa continues to play well...nice to see Renney start Hossa on the 2nd line today and have him get an assist then they moved him back to the 3rd and put Betts on the 2nd line which made zero sense.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Fletch

It was Betts'

most invisible game at even strength all season. Every time he plays with better players (and against better defensemen), he seems to disappear. Still good on the faceoffs, however.

Old
01-13-2007, 06:41 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Hossa continues to play well...nice to see Renney start Hossa on the 2nd line today and have him get an assist then they moved him back to the 3rd and put Betts on the 2nd line which made zero sense.
Maybe ......just maybe.....they are looking to see who they are going to use in trades, and who they wanna keep if possible. Swapping them between the 2nd and third lines, its pretty obvious who the better overall player is. So maybe they try to keep Hossa and trade Betts if a trade goes down.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:09 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
Where is TB???
You simply knew that this was not a thread that I would be able to resist . Hossa a 2nd line player? Let's get serious here. He is less of a 2nd line player than Cullen is and less of a 3rd line player than Betts is. Until he can show more than a hotflash that lasts a couple of games, he remains a bubble NHL player.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:15 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
You simply knew that this was not a thread that I would be able to resist . Hossa a 2nd line player? Let's get serious here. He is less of a 2nd line player than Cullen is and less of a 3rd line player than Betts is. Until he can show more than a hotflash that lasts a couple of games, he remains a bubble NHL player.
I disagree TB. Why is Betts a better third liner? He's really good on faceoffs, but other than that....Hossa is the better AND more skilled player!

Old
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
I disagree TB. Why is Betts a better third liner? He's really good on faceoffs, but other than that....Hossa is the better AND more skilled player!
In order to be a 3rd line player, you need to have an inkling of offensive skills. Hossa possesses exactly zero offensive instinct and is absolutely useless in the other team's end.

Old
01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
In order to be a 3rd line player, you need to have an inkling of offensive skills. Hossa possesses exactly zero offensive instinct and is absolutely useless in the other team's end.
That's nonsense. Is he a good finisher? Absolutely not. But the guy has the offensive talent, alot more than Betts. I know you've seen him maintain possesion of the puck in the offensive zone plenty of times. The fact that he usually has linemates with hands of stone isn't his fault. I believed in Hossa last season, and he was pretty godawful for alot of it, and I'm sticking with him this season . I believe this guy is gonna put it together and become a solid NHL 2nd or 3rd liner.

Old
01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Fletch

It's not nonsense...

without talking about Betts and Hossa directly, it is possible for a non-skilled third liner to be better than a guy with immense offensive talent. Some players do not have the dive or smarts to take full advantage of their level of talent (see Alexander Daigle; Pavel Brendl, and many others). Now specifically, Hossa's played well the last couple games, but hadn't used his skill all too well the previous 40+ games. Betts, in a similar role, seemed to be able to get more ice time. Hossa bounced around much of the season, third line, second line, fourth line, third line, second line, etc., because he cannot put it together on a consistent basis. I couldn't care less how skilled a guy is; I care what he does out there on the ice.

Old
01-13-2007, 10:27 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
C'on TB. Hossa has more offensive skill then the entire bottom 6 players (Orr, Orts, Hollweg, and Betts). You could make a case for Ward and Hall but neither have showed the ability Hossa has in the offensive zone to shield the puck and move it around. Unformally playing on a line with unskilled players he has nobody to pass to or nobody to pass to him...so he's pretty much just keeping control of the puck as long as he can and occasionally bringing the puck to the net recently.

He was a bubble NHL player last year, but this year hes become quite the effective defensive player and recently his offensive skills are coming out.

Put him with skilled players and more of his offensive skills come out. He's been getting points anytime he gets the chance to play on one of the top lines recently.

Remember though, I never said hes a 2nd line player, but to not give him the chance on the 2nd line to see what happens is a mistake. Players improve and break out over age and experience...after 2 years hossa might finally be turning the corner.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:29 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
That's But the guy has the offensive talent, alot more than Betts.
Talent has nothing to do with it. If it had, the Rangers would have had lots of Cups in the last decade. There is more to it than talent. Hossa has all the talent in the world, but so too did Daigle. Hossa has not shown anything that would indicate that he is capable of putting it all together.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
C'on TB. Hossa has more offensive skill then the entire bottom 6 players (Orr, Orts, Hollweg, and Betts). You could make a case for Ward and Hall but neither have showed the ability Hossa has in the offensive zone to shield the puck and move it around.
He is undoubtedly much more talented. But he has not put any of his skills together. His skill set and instincts do not come near matching his talent.
Quote:
Unformally playing on a line with unskilled players he has nobody to pass to or nobody to pass to him...so he's pretty much just keeping control of the puck as long as he can and occasionally bringing the puck to the net recently.
He went through a multiple month stretch of basically zero points last year while playing exclusively on the second line. His utter lack of anything that resembles production cannot be blamed on strictly linemates.
Quote:
He was a bubble NHL player last year, but this year hes become quite the effective defensive player and recently his offensive skills are coming out
Seemingly every time he has a hot flash, the board is lit up with the "Here he come" type of posts. He is ok defensively when going opposite of other team's bottom-2 lines. Any way you slice it, he is still nothing more than a 4th liner, at best. And no one that should be a consideration when thinking of a possible call-up from Hartford.
Quote:
Put him with skilled players and more of his offensive skills come out. He's been getting points anytime he gets the chance to play on one of the top lines recently.
He has shown that it makes no difference whom he plays with. The results have always been the same so far. He has a hot flash. That typically lasts about 6 games. Then goes a few games without getting a point, but still plays ok. Then promptly disappears for another month. His mo has not changed.
Quote:
Remember though, I never said hes a 2nd line player, but to not give him the chance on the 2nd line to see what happens is a mistake. Players improve and break out over age and experience...after 2 years hossa might finally be turning the corner.
He has recieved chances and each time the result has been the same. I have always hoped that he can rise to his talent level, but he has give no indication that he is capable of doing so.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:48 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
He is undoubtedly much more talented. But he has not put any of his skills together. His skill set and instincts do not come near matching his talent.
The past month or so IMO hes been putting his offense together more and more (maybe he's getting more confidence?). I really think this is the corner we have all been waiting for him to hopefully turn. A big reason why I want him at this point of his career to be given the chance...if he fails again then I will admit I was wrong, but at 24 or 25 I think something has clicked inside of him..

Quote:
He went through a multiple month stretch of basically zero points last year while playing exclusively on the second line. His utter lack of anything that resembles production cannot be blamed on strictly linemates.
Agreed. Last year we saw flashes and it never lasted, but hes grown and matured more into a player. Wishful thinking on my part? Sure could be. But I would like him to get that chance again to continue to prove to the coaching staff that he is an offensive player and be put in an offensive role.

Quote:
Seemingly every time he has a hot flash, the board is lit up with the "Here he come" type of posts. He is ok defensively when going opposite of other team's bottom-2 lines. Any way you slice it, he is still nothing more than a 4th liner, at best. And no one that should be a consideration when thinking of a possible call-up from Hartford.
I disagree with you saying hes is ok defensively. He backchecks his *** off every shift and and been very good positionally in the defensive zone. He is a huge upgrade over someone like Hall and Orr on the bottom 2 lines when it comes to defensive responsibilities.

Quote:
He has shown that it makes no difference whom he plays with. The results have always been the same so far. He has a hot flash. That typically lasts about 6 games. Then goes a few games without getting a point, but still plays ok. Then promptly disappears for another month. His mo has not changed.
Playing with Jagr he had 2 assists about a month ago, scored a goal on the 2nd line vs the Sens playing with Nylander and Shanny, playing about 6 minutes or so on the 2nd line today he got a primary assist. Hes been creating his own chances on the 4th line over the past couple weeks. Again, I'd like him to continue to get the chance on the 2nd line to see how many more scoring chances he can create or get.

Quote:
He has recieved chances and each time the result has been the same. I have always hoped that he can rise to his talent level, but he has give no indication that he is capable of doing so.

Yes, last year has received those chances and failed. This is a new season, like i said earlier hes grown as a player from the last season to this season IMO and i'd love to see him get more chances in a scoring role either on the 2nd line or on the 2nd PP unit.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
WestsideNYR

Stop killin Marcel

This guy can flat out control the puck. He can hold off defenders much the same way Jagr does. He is starting to shoot more and is being given more of an opportunity, lets hope he cashes in. He was a high draft pick that is actually in the NHL, lets not talk about Farledeau, Graham, Jessiman and others. We got 2 productive higher picks from Montreal for nothing(J. Ward) and lets let M. Hossa develop. Marcel can skate, shoot and play defense. He is a big guy unlike many members on our team. He is very heady and was trained under very defensive minded coaches. He understands positioning. He even bodychecks, does Hall? Give someone young in NY a chance.

WestsideNYR is offline   Reply With Quote