HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Oh so close, but no Cup for you buddy

Old
12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Although it is his own fault for wanting out of a winning franchise, I would say Keith Primeau. He had to drag Paul Coffey with him for the trade which hurt Coffey although he had won his fair share.

Dave Keon was sought by the Islanders just before Butch Goring was traded for them. Harold Ballard - always one to hold a grudge - refused to allow it since the Leafs still held his NHL rights. This meant Keon was kept out of a dynasty despite being in the Leafs' dynasty in the 1960s.
Not sure about the Keon one. Ballard could not have stopped the Isles from getting him since Hartford retained his rights upon the WHA merger with the NHL and he played 3 years with the Whalers post merger. If the Isles wanted him they'd have to deal with the Whalers, not the Leafs.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 02:20 PM
CapsCrazyX17

Dale Hunter got to the finals in 98 but lost. The next year he gets traded to the Colorado Avalanche for one last shot at winning the Cup. The Avs don't win it that year, Hunter retires, and then the Avs win the Cup the following season.

Always wish Hunsty would have played another year and won the Cup along with Bourque

CapsCrazyX17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Boom Boom Bear

Quote:
Dave Keon was sought by the Islanders just before Butch Goring was traded for them. Harold Ballard - always one to hold a grudge - refused to allow it since the Leafs still held his NHL rights. This meant Keon was kept out of a dynasty despite being in the Leafs' dynasty in the 1960s.
huh? Keon was playing for the Whalers in the NHL at the time of the Goring trade.

Boom Boom Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 02:46 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsCrazyX17 View Post
Dale Hunter got to the finals in 98 but lost. The next year he gets traded to the Colorado Avalanche for one last shot at winning the Cup. The Avs don't win it that year, Hunter retires, and then the Avs win the Cup the following season.

Always wish Hunsty would have played another year and won the Cup along with Bourque
Was he traded in 99 or did he make the finals in 99 because the Avs won in 01 not 00

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bear View Post
huh? Keon was playing for the Whalers in the NHL at the time of the Goring trade.
I don't believe it was 1980 though. I should have cleared that up. The story goes that the Isles wanted Keon but couldn't get him since he was property of the Leafs. This could have been 1979 perhaps. Maybe by 1980 they felt Keon wasn't as valuable of a player as Goring would have been (and to be honest it is hard to imagine a 40 year old Keon having the value that Goring did then) and then moved on and chose Goring. But prior to picking Goring, they had their eyes set on Keon. This wouldn't have been 1980 of course, but 1979 at the latest. I will try and look up a story on this. There has to be something. Don Cherry once said it on Coach's Corner, 4-5 years back that he and Keon were sitting around talking and he pressed him as to why he hated the Leafs so much to this day and that was Keon's response. I fall on the side that this story is true. But I have heard it another place and time too, so we'll see if we can find it online.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Ya thats essentially correct as I too understand it BP. Keons Contract in 74/75 was up & Ballard had pretty much lambasted & excoriated the guy in public despite the fact that he'd lead the team in goals for the past couple of seasons, total pro, Team Captain, brilliant player. Told him he wouldnt sign him with a raise nor with the no-trade clause, that he'd have to go cut a deal with another team himself & whoever signed him would have to compensate the Leafs, whatever was ever offered never enough to satisfy Ballard. The Islanders at that time one of the teams interested so ya, even earlier than 79. ...

By way of background, in 72 when he negotiated the contract that ran out in 74/75 he was coming off a bad season, and its believed he was left off Team Canada only because of it when the final 2 selections came down to him & Bobby Clarke. He'd asked for a raise in 1972 & was refused, but did receive a no-trade clause. Earlier that summer he'd also signed a deal with the fledgling Ottawa Nationals of the WHA however that deal cratered when they couldnt come up with the $$$. So he was stuck with Ballard who he couldnt stand and vice-versa as Keon represented the last link to the Conn Smythe era, and by-God, Harold was determined to clear the organization & Maple Leaf Gardens right out of any & all reminders of that.

Keon jumped to the WHA when it was clear he was in an impossible situation. However as bad luck would have it, the team he signed with, Minnesota, goes into receivership after playing less than a full season. Again, the Islanders tried to acquire Keon but as his NHL rights were still held by the Leafs no matter what the Isles offered, wasnt enough, so Keon re-signed with Indianapolis of the WHA. On & on. Finally winds up back in the NHL with the Whalers & again, in 79, his rights reverting back to & held by Ballard & the Leafs. Not exactly sure what went down that final time but again as you mention, the Islanders came calling trying to again obtain the then 40yr old Keons rights. Rumored Ballard demanding a first round pick, cash, possibly players. So he could play out his career in Hartford but he didnt have freedom of movement or free agency, denied the right to finish his career winning Cups with Long Island though as you say the Isles settled on Goring instead and I certainly have a lot of respect for what he brought to that team.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:

Eric Lindros comes to mind. All he had to do was play for Quebec. A team with Sakic, Lindros, Sundin, Kamensky, Nolan, win a Cup eventually or with trades. Thanks Bonnie and Carl, he should be saying.
We get it, you don't like Eric Lindros. But that's a lot of what ifs. What if Quebec stays because they have Lindros? Then Montreal never trades Patrick Roy to their provincial rival and it's all a moot point once again.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Normand Lacombe

How about Owen Nolan? Actually played a few games in Colorado before being shipped off to the Sharks for Ozolinsch.

Vinny Prospal. Signed as a free agent with Anaheim from Tampa in 2003 and Tampa wins the Cup in 2004.

Normand Lacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Owen Nolan was dealt from Colorado in 1996.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Before the 2009-2010 season started, there were rumors of Roenick going to Chicago for one final season. He wound up retiring, and ultimately lost out on that chance.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2013, 10:19 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

With cracked ribs, Trevor Linden scored two goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in a 2-3 loss at the peak of his career and never got anywhere close to it ever again.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:57 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:

Hunter's a great example.

tjcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
With cracked ribs, Trevor Linden scored two goals in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in a 2-3 loss at the peak of his career and never got anywhere close to it ever again.

His teammate, meanwhile, Pavel Bure, was one win away from being awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy. Game 4 was an absolute disgrace; the team's collapse after developing a 2-0 lead was embarrassing, and in the third period not only did Martin Gelinas whiff on a tap-in, but also took a game-deciding boarding penalty in the final five minutes of the match.

In Game 7, the Canucks had most of the momentum in the final period. Aside from the Lafayette and Gelinas misses, Pavel had a few glaring opportunities that slid through the crease but never crossed the goal line. In the final few minutes, while the Rangers were caught in their own zone, Pavel picked up the puck and carried it out for a one-on-one rush. I can not believe the Rangers did not receive a penalty there, as one of the Rangers players intentionally dislodged the Canucks' net to prevent Bure's rush/potential scoring chance from occurring. A Rangers penalty in those final few minutes would have changed the complexion of the dying moments dramatically. Pavel had prevented the Rangers from winning Game 5 with a two-goal, three-point performance. If anyone could have scored in Game 7 overtime, it would have been him or Linden.

If everything had lined up for Bure that year, he would have been healthy between October 23, 1993 and late December 1993 and won the Hart Trophy with an alarmingly high number of goals (on pace for 80 goals that season while healthy, scoring 56 in 59; scored 4 in 25 potential games [17 games played, 8 missed] while injured), then the Stanley Cup, and the Conn Smythe all in a nine-month span. He had already carried his team, arguably a mediocre squad, for much of the season on his own and was declared by some the NHL's best player in the final ~40 games of the season. A groin injury and one playoff game prevented 1994 from being the Year of Bure.

Not to mention, ahead of all of that, Bure was three picks away from being drafted by Detroit with their 116th overall pick in the 1989 NHL Entry Draft. If that had happened, he would have been guaranteed several Cups playing with the Red Wings.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 12-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:

Must have been the karma from '93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

I don't like the Canucks but liked some of their players and Linden was awesome in that playoff run for sure.

The Rangers obviously knew he was injured and were pretty dirty on him too -- but you can't expect anything else from Messier.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Stars and Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
How about Owen Nolan? Actually played a few games in Colorado before being shipped off to the Sharks for Ozolinsch.

Vinny Prospal. Signed as a free agent with Anaheim from Tampa in 2003 and Tampa wins the Cup in 2004.
Beat me to this one.

I can't think of one off the top of my head, but one who was spared from this list at the very end of his career was Dave Andreychuk. He was traded to the Devils at the trade deadline in 1996 (the season after they won the cup), then was traded in the 1999 offseason, one year before they win the cup. In fact, during those 9 seasons in which the Devils won 3 cups, any other 4 straight season combination with the Devils other than the one he had (I count the 95-96 season since he ended it in NJ) would've given him a cup.

As if arriving in NJ right after they win their first cup and departing right before they win their 2nd wasn't bad enough, he leaves another team one year too early again the next season. NJ trades him to Boston, then the Bruins trade him with Ray Bourque to the Avalanche. After that season though, he chooses to go back to Buffalo, and Colorado wins the cup, marking the 2nd straight season he left a team a year before they won the cup.

However, the bitterness of that must have made it even sweeter when he finally won the cup with Tampa Bay in 2004.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 05:10 PM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Mike Gartner. Traded from the Rangers 2 1/2 months before the Rangers won the Cup.

12-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Normand Lacombe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Owen Nolan was dealt from Colorado in 1996.
Incorrect. He was dealt to San Jose on October 26, 1995 for Ozolinsh.

Old
12-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Lead Role in a Cage

Stu Grimson played one game on the 89 Flames (obviously not enough), lost in the finals with the Blackhawks in 92, lost with the Red Wings in the finals of 95 and is traded during Red Wings Stanley Cup winning season 97.

Jimmy Carson was traded in season from the eventual champion the Oilers in 90, lost with the Kings in the 93 finals, is traded the next season to the Canucks and lose in the finals, even though he probably isn't awarded a cup since he barely played (34 regular season games, 2 playoff games).

Laurie Boschman plays 62 games for the Oilers in 83, the season before the Oilers dynasty started, and plays for the Winnipeg Jets during the Oilers winning years (83/84-89/90).

Kim Johnson was traded to the Blackhawks in 10, plays 8 games, injures himself, and misses out on the cup win the same spring.

Lead Role in a Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 09:51 PM
habscup*

Alex Kovalev

habscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Normand Lacombe

Kovalev won a Cup with the Rangers in 94.

Old
12-20-2013, 08:54 PM
habscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand Lacombe View Post
Kovalev won a Cup with the Rangers in 94.
I don't believe that's true at all.

habscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 09:20 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
I don't believe that's true at all.

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

He's still got a little time, but Jarome Iginla in 2003-2004 playoffs. That no-goal call in game 6 at home basically cemented the loss for the Flames.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
We get it, you don't like Eric Lindros. But that's a lot of what ifs. What if Quebec stays because they have Lindros? Then Montreal never trades Patrick Roy to their provincial rival and it's all a moot point once again.
I don't like what Eric did, no. As a player I did like him. As for winning the Cup, obviously it is speculation and we are doing just that here. But a team with Sakic, Lindros and Sundin down the middle has some options. Getting a better goalie would have been one of them. Nolan and Kamensky come to mind as trade bait as well.

Therefore you have to think a good goalie is traded to their team at some time. Fuhr was bouncing around a lot then, Hasek was an afterthought. A mediocre GM would have been able to craft a Cup contender with that set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autograph View Post
He's still got a little time, but Jarome Iginla in 2003-2004 playoffs. That no-goal call in game 6 at home basically cemented the loss for the Flames.
I don't know about "cemented". It was a tie game at that time. They still went to double overtime and then had a Game 7 to make up for it. I know Flames hate that one play, but I think it tends to be revisionist history that the Cup was resting on that single play.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Signature
Kings of the Rebuild

Quote:
I don't know about "cemented". It was a tie game at that time. They still went to double overtime and then had a Game 7 to make up for it. I know Flames hate that one play, but I think it tends to be revisionist history that the Cup was resting on that single play.
I don't think you felt how deflated the Flames squad was after the no-goal and the loss of that game. Not imagined - it was said that some players cried in the locker room after that game 6.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote