HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DD saves the day! No, really!

Old
12-22-2013, 11:29 AM
JAVO16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpatrick View Post
1 word, Murray. His slow ass was responsible for the first 2 goals scored last night.
I wouldn't say he was responsible, but he could've prevented them by winning his board battles decisively like he should have.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:32 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
You're not going to get bites on this line, because no one who is adamantly opposed to keeping Murray on the team is going to go back and actually look at video when +/- and fancy stats tell them all they need to know. No need to understand what actually happened, you just have to be able to interpret the spreadsheet afterwards...
On one of the goals, it was Lars.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:38 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Silly. Your eyes should be able to confirm that he's terrible at defending.

Maybe you need to test your eyes.

Hell, we shouldn't even have to bring advanced stats into this, but some people have their heads firmly planted into the ground.

p.s. I bet I watch more hockey than you. Want to compare notes? I watch every Habs game twice, if not three or four times, plus I watch 2-3 other games per night if the schedule permits.

Take your "they don't watch hockey" insult and shove it, lol
But, but, but, he can put opposing players on their butt from time to time. That must count for something ?!! Don't we get some kind of moral victory point from that ?

I heard that players after getting pushed on their butt just stopped trying to score hence making physical play the best way to keep the puck out of your net !

Old
12-22-2013, 11:42 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Yeah, Lars had no reason to go down low like that. But Murray could've won that race and cleared the puck easily/ or won the puck battle in the corner.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
There's a reason why the center feels the need to play deep down every time Murray's on the ice.

That leaves the slot wide open.

I don't understand why this guy gets this support while DD gets crapped on daily while bringing much more to the team.

No in fact I understand, all these years lacking strength and size made some habs fan develop a strength/size fetish.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Feintastic

Perfect, the plan is working

Trade him now Marc !

..but nah...you wont...

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prendan Brust View Post
No in fact I understand, all these years lacking strength and size made some habs fan develop a strength/size fetish.
Yup, just like your avatar suggests.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Nobody is ignoring the other players. It goes both ways as well, there have been many, many times where Murray has been bailed out by his teammates that didn't show up on the scoresheet. Over the long run, these things tend to even out and you're left with a pretty good understanding of what the players bring as individuals to a team. Murray brings nothing that helps us win. It's very clear at this point. We can all argue semantics til we're blue in the face, but 14 to 1? Come on, now. If those were Bouillon's numbers or DD's numbers or Gionta's numbers, we'd be crucifying them.
To me, Murray is fine in a limited role, not a perfect 6-7 Dman but serviceable. Having said that, I would call up Tinordi. I would aslo think about how we could upgrade Diaz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
So that game last night was a glaring look ino how MT is really not a very good coach. Up 3-0 and he sits back and puts the brakes on the boys offense. We end up in OT everyone knows the 3 oal lead in hockey is the worst lead to try ad hold on to. MT got shown again last night how NOT to coach eve against lesser teams.
Not sure if we can put this on the coach. The guys started losing battles and Preds showed there teeth.
Quote:
In terms of goals for/against at 5v5, Douglas Murray is the worst defenseman in the NHL and it's nowhere close.

http://www.extraskater.com/players/d...sort=goals_pct

Anyways, most know he's brutal, but we're stuck with him for now.
Interesting stats. If that's the case, please call up Tinordi, place Murray on waivers.

The point I was trying to get to is we know what you get with Murray. Guys like Prust, Briere and Bourque haven't been good. DD is inconsistent, works hard but inconsistent results. Patch plays without an edge most of the time, a beautiful player wen he's on but plays on the outside most of the time. Still raw defensively. Gionta is Gionta, not very creative and small but does hustle out there.

With out given an analyst player by player, at the end, there are guys who could be better game in, game out.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:55 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Couldn't watch the game, but from what I understand, DD's our saviour, right?

Il est né le divin enfant

(click here for image in its full-size glory, if you haven't already seen it in the DD thread )

All this is missing is Niinimaa (sp?) !!

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:56 AM
KerryFraser

Quote:
1 word, Murray. His slow ass was responsible for the first 2 goals scored last night.
It was blatant on the first goal. Stalberg was what? five or six feet behind him and he won the race for the puck in the corner.

I don't want to blame him for all the goals scored last night but man... he is incredibly slow.

KerryFraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Feintastic

Quote:
Gionta looks very desinterested. I wonder why?
Dont worry, Bergevin will extend him.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Feintastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Couldn't watch the game, but from what I understand, DD's our saviour, right?

Il est né le divin enfant

(click here for image in its full-size glory, if you haven't already seen it in the DD thread )
L M A O

Old
12-22-2013, 12:19 PM
poetryinmotion

Subban was beasting last night 1 goal, +3, 6 shots.. 27 mins ice time.

Markov looks out of gas same time just like last year.

I love Markov but it's clear who the best defenseman of this team really is and it was never up for debate in my mind.

Oh and Weber was awesome too.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:22 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
No way man.

The first goal, Murray took the man with the puck. Diaz and Eller decided that it would be a good idea to both go after the Preds player with the puck.

One of Diaz or Eller should have not left the slot wide open. Pick which player to lay the blame on. It wasnt Murray's responsibility since he had the player against the boards.

On the second goal, that was a bad clearing pass by Price. Murray happend to be one of the DMen on the ice so yes, lets blame Murray.

What about Subban taking that penalty after the weak giveaway in front of Price? Any fault or blame for him?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No way man.

The first goal, Murray took the man with the puck. Diaz and Eller decided that it would be a good idea to both go after the Preds player with the puck.

One of Diaz or Eller should have not left the slot wide open. Pick which player to lay the blame on. It wasnt Murray's responsibility since he had the player against the boards.

On the second goal, that was a bad clearing pass by Price. Murray happend to be one of the DMen on the ice so yes, lets blame Murray.

What about Subban taking that penalty after the weak giveaway in front of Price? Any fault or blame for him?
If you ask me, Subban did make a turn over but it was Bourque and Eller playing soft on the top of zone that let to Subban's bad play(the puck was bouncy to boot)
Also, Price did have a run of bad luck on that play if you ask me and Prust played that very badly on top of the Zone.
All in all, I kind fault the forwards more then the defenders.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:29 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Nobody is ignoring the other players. It goes both ways as well, there have been many, many times where Murray has been bailed out by his teammates that didn't show up on the scoresheet. Over the long run, these things tend to even out and you're left with a pretty good understanding of what the players bring as individuals to a team. Murray brings nothing that helps us win. It's very clear at this point. We can all argue semantics til we're blue in the face, but 14 to 1? Come on, now. If those were Bouillon's numbers or DD's numbers or Gionta's numbers, we'd be crucifying them.
Disagree. DD scored the game winner last night and is being crucified.

There is a set of players on the Habs roster who will get blamed for every goal. Regardless of circumstance.

Eller (and or Diaz) **** the bed on the first goal and we do not see the posts hammering him (them) for that. Only Murray because he happened to be on the ice.

On every single goal given up by the Habs, there are 4 (3 if PK) other players (plus one goalie) on the ice who have varying degrees of responsibility for that goal. However, the default is Murray and Murray alone.

Interesting phenomenon.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Disagree. DD scored the game winner last night and is being crucified.

There is a set of players on the Habs roster who will get blamed for every goal. Regardless of circumstance.

Eller (and or Diaz) **** the bed on the first goal and we do not see the posts hammering him (them) for that. Only Murray because he happened to be on the ice.

On every single goal given up by the Habs, there are 4 (3 if PK) other players (plus one goalie) on the ice who have varying degrees of responsibility for that goal. However, the default is Murray and Murray alone.

Interesting phenomenon.
Whoa! Stop! Common sense will cause the site to implode!

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Silly. Your eyes should be able to confirm that he's terrible at defending.

Maybe you need to test your eyes.

Hell, we shouldn't even have to bring advanced stats into this, but some people have their heads firmly planted into the ground.

p.s. I bet I watch more hockey than you. Want to compare notes? I watch every Habs game twice, if not three or four times, plus I watch 2-3 other games per night if the schedule permits.

Take your "they don't watch hockey" insult and shove it, lol
Just curious.

Whose responsibility was it for not letting the slot be wide open on the first goal?

Murray?
Eller?
Diaz?

Old
12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Habs 1909

It would be interesting to see the Bouillon-Subban pairing next game. I thought they complimented eachother very well.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 12:36 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 1909 View Post
It would be interesting to see the Bouillon-Subban pairing next game. I thought they complimented eachother very well.
michaelscottno.gif

Gorges / Subban is fine, Bouillon is the 7th D.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 1909 View Post
AKA Subban doing it all?

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Andy

Quote:
Just curious.

Whose responsibility was it for not letting the slot be wide open on the first goal?

Murray?
Eller?
Diaz?
All three implemented Therrien's swarm system "to-a-T". What we saw is what happens when you don't win the board battle in that type of defensive coverage. Murray had lost the battle, Eller went in with the stick lift, the Nashville forward kick the puck to continue the cycle and the rest was history.

It was all three player's fault and none of their fault's at the same time. Essentially it is a flaw in the type of defensive system the team employs. Overloading the puck carrier down low leaves a man open up high. It's hard to blame anyone of them as they all were responsible. Murray lost a board battle he should have won, Eller left a man open and Diaz was too slow to react when the Nashville player continued the cycle.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Just curious.

Murray?
Eller?
Diaz?
Ask Therrien. That's what his system calls for.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off

vCash: 100
Quote:
Yeah, it happens when we put out players that get outscored 14-1 while being on the ice
I don't always get outscored.

But when I do, Murray is on the ice.

12-22-2013, 01:22 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
No way man.

I'd agree with you on this. But, Murray always places his teamates in a position when they need to do something more to prevent a scoring chance. Like overlords said, in the long run they miss their assignment or something and we get scored on. On that first goal, Murray should've either got to the puck first and cleared it or prevented the player he was covering from doing a meaningful play. On the second goal, he was left with one guy to cover in front of the net and the defenseman at the point was not covered. Not his fault IMO. On the last goal, he could've intercepted that pass in the back of the i.e. made a good play, but he didn't. He's mostly always late on his coverage which allows the opposing players to keep puck possession. Also, blaming Subban for a penalty has nothing to do with Murray's inedaquecy as a defenseman and is nothing but a red herring.