HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

There's absolutely no acceptable reason that this crap is still going on but it is so it's time to start tracking our potential draft pick spot since there's little else to get excited about this season.

As of 12/22/13

1) Buffalo___36gp. 9W 21points
2) Edmonton 38gp. 11W 25points
3) NYI_____ 37gp. 10W 27points
4) Calgary__36gp. 13W 32points
5) Florida__ 37gp. 14W 33points

With only 2 of the bottom 10 teams in the league in the west and 5 of the bottom 15 teams you'd have to think that the odds of us finishing in the bottom 5 are quite high.

At the start of the New Year 1/2/14 including point increases since last update

1) Buffalo___40gp. 11W 26points +5 points
2) Edmonton 42gp. 13W 31points +6 points
3) NYI_____ 41gp. 13W 33points +6 points
4) Calgary__40gp. 14W 34points +2 points
5) Florida__ 41gp. 15W 36points +3 points

As of 1/25/14

1) Buffalo___50gp. 14W 35points +9 points
2) Edmonton 53gp. 15W 36points +5 points
3) Calgary__52gp. 18W 43points +9 points
4) Florida__ 51gp. 20W 47points +11 points
5) NYI_____54gp. 21W 50points +17 points

As of 2/1/14 Lead Up To The Battle For The Basement on Monday

1) Buffalo___54gp. 15W 38points +3 points
2) Edmonton 57gp. 18W 42points +6 points
3) Florida__ 55gp. 21W 49points +2 points
4) Calgary__55gp. 21W 49points +6 points
5) NYI_____57gp. 21W 50points +0 points

As of The Olympic Break 2/9/14

1) Buffalo___57gp. 15W 38points +0 points
2) Edmonton 60gp. 20W 47points +5 points
3) Florida__ 58gp. 22W 51points +2 points
4) Calgary__58gp. 22W 51points +2 points
5) NYI_____60gp. 22W 52points +2 points

At the end of 3/5/14 (Deadline Day)

1) Buffalo___61gp. 18W 44points +6 points
2) Edmonton 63gp. 21W 50points +3 points
3) Florida__ 62gp. 23W 53points +2 points
4) Calgary__62gp. 24W 55points +4 points
5) NYI_____64gp. 24W 56points +4 points

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 03-05-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old
12-22-2013, 11:36 AM
JohnnyCanuck604
Rookie User

It might not be a constant if ownership fired Lowe already... I bet it would actually open up a few guys eyes that, whats happening here isn't acceptable, cause it seems under Lowe losing is acceptable, the players dont have to worry the coach will just pay the ultimate price at the end of the year...

You fans should wage a boycott of 2 or 3 home games, it'll cost Katz millions, maybe grab his attention that somethings broken and change is desperately needed.

I guess though if your looking for positives, Buffalo is starting to play better, so those 2 games in hand they got on you might get you more balls in the ball roller spinning thing.... I cant believe you guys are already talking about the draft..... World Jrs hasn't even started yet!

LOWE NEEDS TO GO!!!

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck604: 12-22-2013 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Buffalo
Old
12-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
Were 7 points behind the (f)Lames and they have 2 games in hand. That is really depressing

Old
12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck604 View Post
It might not be a constant if ownership fired Lowe already... I bet it would actually open up a few guys eyes that, whats happening here isn't acceptable, cause it seems under Lowe losing is acceptable, the players dont have to worry the coach will just pay the ultimate price at the end of the year...

You fans should wage a boycott of 2 or 3 home games, it'll cost Katz millions, maybe grab his attention that somethings broken and change is desperately needed.

I guess though if your looking for positives, Buffalo is starting to play better, so those 2 games in hand they got on you might get you more balls in the ball roller spinning thing.... I cant believe you guys are already talking about the draft..... World Jrs hasn't even started yet!

LOWE NEEDS TO GO!!!
Trust me I think that it's safe to say that not a single fan of this team is happy about where we are right now. That said we are 3 games from the 1/2 way point of the season and we are out of playoff contention already.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:55 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

I used to get excited about the Oilers at the draft, but after seeing the *hit show so far this season with a team full of 1st rounders, i'm soured about the draft now, and unless we can draft Ekblad, i'd just as soon see the Oilers trade the pick!

Old
12-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
I used to get excited about the Oilers at the draft, but after seeing the *hit show so far this season with a team full of 1st rounders, i'm soured about the draft now, and unless we can draft Ekblad, i'd just as soon see the Oilers trade the pick!
The draft alone won't pull this team out of the cesspool, but I'd sooner make the pick and get either Ekblad or a high end C than trade it away for spare parts. Make the pick, throw crazy $ at select FA's, and trade away some of the guys here that aren't a good fit. Acquire a lot of tradeable assets at the deadline for guys like Hemsky, N. Schultz, Bryz?, Jones, etc. and try to use some of those assets at the draft to add some bodies.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:04 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^my point was that drafting Ekblad, a top d-man to go along with Nurse and Klefbom in the system, is exactly what this team needs to continue to do while they suck....but if we draft 5th or something, then like MacT mentioned, i'd just as soon he trade the pick in order to try to improve the team now. in my opinion only, if we can get the top center in Reinhart or the top d-man in Ekblad, then make the pick, if not and we draft lower, then trade it!

Old
12-22-2013, 12:27 PM
Shizuka

Just finished watching the pre-tourney match, Canada lost 3-0 to the host Swedes. Ekblad looked alright, though it appeared Sutter shortened his bench quite a bit and Ekblad sat for a good chunk of the third as they tried to catch up. Mobility is ok, he's not going to set the world on fire with his speed but it's alright. He's also not as physical as I was expecting, for a kid that size. Nurse has real bite to his game -- Ekblad, not so much. Pinched a few times and was caught out on it, but probably just an experience thing. Overall, looked alright -- but he is not going to be a saviour on the backend, I'm sorry.

On a side note, but possibly tangentially related given how ****** our team is -- I was more than a little underwhelmed by McDavid, considering the hype. Pretty invisible for a kid hailed as some sort of wunderkind. The cavalry is not coming via the draft, fellas, sorry to state the obvious.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Toydarian

I thought Ekblad was the lone player for Canada who played well.

In regards to his skating/mobility, it being on international ice really changes the reference point. Ekblad skates quite well, but in comparison to some of the Swedes with all that space, Ekblad's skating didn't stick out (on the flip side, it wasn't an issue).

The ice size also really limits a players ability to be physical as there is so much more room for players to exploit.

I thought he played responsible and simple as I believe he is one of Sutter's shutdown defensemen. I don't think CAN is relying on him for offence and thus don't utilize him for it.

All in all, I was impressed and feel he would look even better on NA ice.

Last edited by Toydarian: 12-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old
12-22-2013, 12:42 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

interesting, two different points of view on Ekblad. we need immediate help, and i'm all for trading our 1st rounder to get it, but, and it's just me, i'd prefer they didn't trade one of the top 2 if they get it, but if they do they do....

Old
12-22-2013, 12:45 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Were 7 points behind the (f)Lames and they have 2 games in hand. That is really depressing
The better the Flames do, the stupider Lowe will look for hiring one of his best buddies for the GM job without even interviewing Burke (or anyone else)

Old
12-22-2013, 12:50 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

There are obviously two camps now... those that want to trade the 1st away for "help" of some sort... and those that want to keep the pick and draft another (hopefully) elite prospect for the prospect pool.

I'm in the "keep the pick and draft BPA" camp because I think the Oilers problems are bigger than what can be fixed by trading that pick away for "help".

I understand people are saying the player (or package) that trading that pick brings back won't solve the teams issues and make them instant playoff contenders... but they might improve the team "somewhat"... at least a step in the right direction.

Personally though I look at it as this management group is trading that pick away and they are the same ones that have the team in this hole... should the breakers try to be the fixers as well... do you trust them not to just break it some more?

Sure yet another high 1st round pick won't help this team immediately BUT that's the only way to acquire elite talent. Where would this team be without their high 1st rounders these past few years? Maybe no worse in the standings BUT they would also have basically ZERO valuable assets now either and the outlook now would look even more bleak.

I know it looks like adding Hall, RNH and Yak (and Nurse in the pipeline) hasn't helped as this team is still scraping along in the NHL cellar... but kids can't do it all and management HAS to fill in the voids on a roster that is made up of 23 players. A few high draft picks are the core you build around... and that's where management has to actually do the work and fill those spots.

Trading away those elite pieces (and I include yet another likely top 2/3 pick in that group) is NOT helping as you won't get an elite player back.

The job of MacT and management is to surround the elite prospects and young core players they have with players who WILL help this team be more competitive.

Make MacT do his job (or get another manager that CAN) by making moves in free agency and in trading non-elite pieces.

It's a cop-out trading the best assets away just to make this team look slightly better in the near term... in the end that's a sure way to insure the team is a perennial also-ran... yes they may look better than the basement team they are now (maybe), but it pretty much also insures that they have no shot at becoming true perennial contenders either with fewer elite pieces on the roster.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

The absolute last thing I want is for this management team to be in charge of trading a top three pick for some embarrassing last second win now solution.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Personally unless Ekblad is a complete stud I'd go for the top center available.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Personally unless Ekblad is a complete stud I'd go for the top center available.
I'm thrilled with either but I think Reinhart is more of a sure thing than Ekblad, but if that latter pans out, he will be the more valuable player.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
The absolute last thing I want is for this management team to be in charge of trading a top three pick for some embarrassing last second win now solution.
Exactly. The odds of us getting full value out of that type of a trade are slim and none and slim just left town. Make the pick and ffs add more help via FA and trades. Get Gagner out of here ASAP, throw big money at guys like Ott, Brian Boyle, Ryan Reaves, Dan Girardi, Ryan Callahan, etc. Toughen team up and turn this ship around.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I'm thrilled with either but I think Reinhart is more of a sure thing than Ekblad, but if that latter pans out, he will be the more valuable player.
Well as far as I'm concerned a 2 way center is never a bad thing. If we have RNH and Reinhart down the middle that's a solid 1-2 punch.

Old
12-22-2013, 12:59 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Just another thought... look at Perron, if anyone thinks the Oilers will get a better player than Perron back for that 1st rounder, they are likely deluded... and look how much better the Oilers are doing with Perron in the lineup this season.

My point is, even if the team adds a VERY good piece back for that pick it's not going to turn around the team because there are too many issues that even 1 great player simply can't address.

This is all besides the point that no team is going to trade an elite #1 dman or even a big #2C for that pick anyway.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:11 PM
nitz

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Just finished watching the pre-tourney match, Canada lost 3-0 to the host Swedes. Ekblad looked alright, though it appeared Sutter shortened his bench quite a bit and Ekblad sat for a good chunk of the third as they tried to catch up. Mobility is ok, he's not going to set the world on fire with his speed but it's alright. He's also not as physical as I was expecting, for a kid that size. Nurse has real bite to his game -- Ekblad, not so much. Pinched a few times and was caught out on it, but probably just an experience thing. Overall, looked alright -- but he is not going to be a saviour on the backend, I'm sorry.

On a side note, but possibly tangentially related given how ****** our team is -- I was more than a little underwhelmed by McDavid, considering the hype. Pretty invisible for a kid hailed as some sort of wunderkind. The cavalry is not coming via the draft, fellas, sorry to state the obvious.
So you think that it's reasonable to extrapolate their entire career because of one pre-tournament game. Sounds reasonable to me.

In their first preseason game, McDavid was lights out. Did you see that game? Didn't think so.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:14 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

We can't acquire a top d-man without trading for one or drafting one... Why would you pass up the latter when the former isn't going to happen?

Old
12-22-2013, 01:16 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Well as far as I'm concerned a 2 way center is never a bad thing. If we have RNH and Reinhart down the middle that's a solid 1-2 punch.
Reinhart has been my top pick since I started following those prospects in the last couple years but Ekblad is obviously an elite choice as well. This is probably the closest I've come to being happy with a coin flip for either of 2 players.

I might give the slightest of edges to Reinhart because forwards are slightly more projectable and obviously he would look good in a #2C role (or even #1B eventually) but it's easy to envision Ekblad as being a huge help to this lineup in the future as well and if he becomes a big, solid dman chewing up 25+ minutes a night... that's truly invaluable and I'd have to say that's an even bigger need at this point going forward.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:16 PM
JohnnyCanuck604
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
The better the Flames do, the stupider Lowe will look for hiring one of his best buddies for the GM job without even interviewing Burke (or anyone else)
Stupider? or absolute genius?

If Lowe hires Burke as GM, Burke would of got Lowe fired within his 1st year and took absolute control of the oilers as President and GM.... Lowe knows.

Seriously though, dont they got some bad blood Lowe and Burke? I remember they were going at eachother even after the Penner signing

Old
12-22-2013, 01:20 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
We can't acquire a top d-man without trading for one or drafting one... Why would you pass up the latter when the former isn't going to happen?
Pretty much. If an elite top dman isn't coming back... then why trade the pick, and an elite top dman won't be coming back so the pick should be kept.

Old
12-22-2013, 01:23 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
The draft alone won't pull this team out of the cesspool, but I'd sooner make the pick and get either Ekblad or a high end C than trade it away for spare parts. Make the pick, throw crazy $ at select FA's, and trade away some of the guys here that aren't a good fit. Acquire a lot of tradeable assets at the deadline for guys like Hemsky, N. Schultz, Bryz?, Jones, etc. and try to use some of those assets at the draft to add some bodies.
Couldn't agree with you more Bryan. You take Ekblad and then try and sign enough people that he's not relied upon. With how much the cap is going up, its all about picking the right UFAs, and ensuring you offer enough to get them. We're going to have an insane amount of capspace. Time to make use of it

12-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Beerfish

Once again this is another draft with no franchise player. The oilers will not be able to get enough if they trade just the pick but they could work on a block buster that includes the pick and one of the young kids.

Closed Thread