HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Call: Is Phaneuf Worth a Max-Term Contract?

Old
12-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Winston Wolf

vCash: 500
He's a good player, but he's not what this team needs and he's going to be overpaid in years and dollars.

I don't see any team being a winner or going far with Phaneuf as their #1 defenseman unless he really improves with age.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:13 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
over ****ing rated.
I dont care what anyone says.

pass.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 01:06 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Since the last 24/7 I picture the guy with a bow tie even in his Leafs uniform!

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:07 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post
I hear yandle's name mentioned a LOT with this team, and Phaneuf is a much better player than Yandle so...yes. He's a great player and gets a ton of flak for the jersey he wears.
Not true.
Yandle right now is back being the #1 in Phoenix over OEL. He's playing stupid amounts of minutes lately.
Yandle is better offensively and probably better defensively down the road because he's got twice the hockey IQ than Phaneuf.
Only thing Phaneuf has over Yandle is his physicality, which often hurts his defensive play.

I like Phaneuf and would take him as a FA, but the price is just not going to be worth it. The team that ends up signing him is going to pay him as a #1 defender. I'm not sure you can win the cup with him as your best D.

Also where does this Hartnell/Phaneuf feud come from?
Do people really believe they hate each other because Hartnell trolled Phaneuf at an All-Star-Game and because they fought each other a couple of times?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

Absolutely NO.

Living in the Leafs market I see enough of the team and Phaneuf. I dislike him not just as a hockey player but as a human being. It wouldn't take long for us all to be calling for him to be traded. If Jerome Iginla can't get along with someone (one of the big reasons CGY practically gave him away to the Leafs), then I want nothing to do with him.

He is a quality hockey player, better than Coburn, but he makes really bone head moves from time to time. He is worth 5.5m but will get more. I just hope it's not the Flyers that pay him.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Psuhockey

It really doesn't matter because Toronto will resign him because they have no alternative.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 08:21 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I think Phaneuf is a better player than people give him credit for, but I just don't think that a defensive corps with Phaneuf as its best player is going to go very far.

He and Coburn would be a great pairing, though.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No. If they're gonna go max term at a high price I'd like it to be for someone more consistent than Phaneuf. He has a strong tendency to go full moron every now and then.
I agree. He is not what this team needs right now and he will demand a lot in terms of dollars. I pass.

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 11:24 AM
orangecrush8

Id rather gauge my eyes out than give Phaneuf a 7 year deal worth $6.5+ which is what he would get.

Believe we, we want NOTHING to do with his guy

orangecrush8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Not true.
Yandle right now is back being the #1 in Phoenix over OEL. He's playing stupid amounts of minutes lately.
Yandle is better offensively and probably better defensively down the road because he's got twice the hockey IQ than Phaneuf.
Only thing Phaneuf has over Yandle is his physicality, which often hurts his defensive play.

I like Phaneuf and would take him as a FA, but the price is just not going to be worth it. The team that ends up signing him is going to pay him as a #1 defender. I'm not sure you can win the cup with him as your best D.

Also where does this Hartnell/Phaneuf feud come from?
Do people really believe they hate each other because Hartnell trolled Phaneuf at an All-Star-Game and because they fought each other a couple of times?
Yandle is not the #1 D. More minutes doesn't necessary mean someone is the #1....just look at Carle and Timonen from a few years back. Yandle is facing easier competition, he's starting mostly in the offensive zone, and his defensive stats are downright terrible compared to Phoenix's other dmen. He's good offensively, but that's it. Overall Phaneuf is certainly better than Yandle.

Phaneuf is facing harder competition, he's doing well defensively against it, and he's producing offense. They're about the same age. There's no reason to believe Yandle will suddenly close the gap at this point.

12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
BringBackStevens

I'm surprised how many people are so willing to jump into a monster contract for a non-elite player after what we have been through and seen around the league.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 683
Phaneuf and Coburn would be an awesome pairing... for 35 games a year, a good pairing for 20 and frustrating as hell for the rest!

They would be unplayable at times... but one nights they both were 'off' it would be a a trainwreck.

But tbh I would not be against Phaneuf, only 28, consistent 40 point D man who is pretty good in his own zone.

He is a '1b' for sure... and is among the top 20 D men in the NHL to be frank... for all the stick he gets. After the big 9 it is McDonagh, J.Bo, Letang, Yandle, Kronwall, Seabrook, Ehrhoff, Hedman, Byfuglien and Phaneuf in that little tier I reckon. And he is not at the bottom of that group.

I would not mind the term being 5~ years... but amount would scare me. He is probably worth in the ~6mill range (5.5-6.5) But someone will likely give him 7. So no, do not wana get into a bidding war for him. But if a reasonable deal could somehow be agreed I would be ok with it.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:45 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
I seen a tweet saying he was close to getting long term from Toronto. I would guess in the range of 7/53. I wouldn't be horrified if we had given him that, but wouldn't be pissed we didnt either.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Legion of Gloom
The Holy Ghost

vCash: 135382
I am not sure he is worth the money but then I do not think Giroux is worth his new contract.

But I can not see the Leafs letting him walk so I think they will sign him

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Funf

I've always felt Phaneuf is underrated around here. He's prone to those boneheaded plays at times, and, frankly, he's just not very easy to like, but he's still a solid top pairing defenseman.

Bottom line is though, underrated or not, if he hits the UFA market, whoever gets him is going to overpay by a LOT.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 03:06 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Toronto might even be desperate enough to trade back for Schenn. Thats how poor their BlueLine has played this year.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Damaged Goods

Nooooo.

His insane PDO is covering up a pretty average season. He's a player who can eat up a lot of minutes, but does not give you outstanding play over those minutes.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I think Phaneuf is a better player than people give him credit for, but I just don't think that a defensive corps with Phaneuf as its best player is going to go very far.

He and Coburn would be a great pairing, though.
I agree wholeheartedly that there are a lot of fans, including several posters on this board, who are simply blinded by the Leafs jersey when they assess Phaneuf. He's a better defender than he gets credit for and he'd definitely be our best defenseman.

After saying that, I don't want to get locked into another long term contract like this at this stage. We aren't a Dion Phaneuf away from a Cup, so I'd rather wait another season to evaluate.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:10 PM
BernieParent

Another 'no' for Phaneuf. I'm not a fan of his overall game.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

He likely would be our best D, not by a long shot, but still a bit better as he has a more rounded game than any of them.

Toronto media suggests he will sign soon. They have also been all over the topic this season that Phaneuf is not worth 6.5 to 7.5m because he isn't a #1 on a cup contender. He could be top pairing with someone of similar skill level but they'd prefer he not be their guy. At the same time, they point out, what other option do the Leafs have? There isn't a clear #1 d available, with Markov and Boyle being good but old.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
flyerstime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
1. No way you can get Dion for less then $7M & 7yrs.
2. people overstate the Dion/Hartnell locker room issues. They are professionals. Plenty of guys have fought And been team mates. Lindros played on a team with Barnaby, Kasparitis and Holik.
3. I wouldn't hate them getting him.

Dion - Coburn
Grossman - Street
Gus - Schenn

flyerstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 05:26 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerstime View Post
LoL Tavares must have an IQ below 30.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 05:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

He's pretty decent offensively and while he isn't the greatest defensively, he isn't as bad as some are making him out to be. The issue with Phaneuf is that he isn't always the greatest in the locker room and he's butted heads with teammates. You need to have a strong leadership structure in place to bring him in and ensure he "tows the line" so to speak.

For the locker room reason alone, I'd say that Phaneuf should be a no from the Flyers. With that being said, if the Flyers don't make the playoffs again, you can bet Ed and company will target Phaneuf and Vanek and will do everything they can to bring those two on board. They'll want big names to come in and they'll want everyone to think they're doing all they can do to try to get this club back into the playoffs.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 07:22 PM
kelmitchell

honestly i wanna send him or girardi a contract but i would try for gaborik or all 3 ......pipe dream i know

kelmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:30 PM
RoDu

so say we sign Gaborik, do we then immediatley put him on LTIR?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote