HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

DD saves the day! No, really!

Old
12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
haburger

vCash: 500
who the hell cares who's fault it is on our goals against?thats over and done with .move on.huge props to desharnais for once again bailing the team out.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Yup, just like your avatar suggests.
Quite honestly, I find Prust's play rather poor these days. Seems like he doesn't show the will to win he usually displays.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prendan Brust View Post
Quite honestly, I find Prust's play rather poor these days. Seems like he doesn't show the will to win he usually displays.
Noticed that as well -- he's not as intense. However, in Prust's case, you want to give him the benefit of the doubt as he'll play through anything. I'd take my chances and guess it's an undisclosed physical ailment. We'll see if the current stretch of time off will help him raise his game.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Silly. Your eyes should be able to confirm that he's terrible at defending.

Maybe you need to test your eyes.

Hell, we shouldn't even have to bring advanced stats into this, but some people have their heads firmly planted into the ground.

p.s. I bet I watch more hockey than you. Want to compare notes? I watch every Habs game twice, if not three or four times, plus I watch 2-3 other games per night if the schedule permits.

Take your "they don't watch hockey" insult and shove it, lol
Like I've said before, I have no doubt that people watch hockey almost as often as me (2-3 games per night would certainly come close), but I still doubt they see more. Reading people's breakdowns of goals and other plays, including your own, confirms that on a daily basis. Isolating Murray for the blame on those two goals last game is just another example. Also, re-watching games with tunnel vision on what you want to see doesn't necessarily contribute as much as you'd think.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

How is there a debate that Murray is bad ?

He's not very good, but neither are Bouillon and Diaz.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Forsead

The team looks completely out of gas, let's hope the pause will do them great, but I'm worried.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Just Shoot!

God i wish the coaching staff would just take Desharnais and Galcheynuk aside and tell them over and over again that shooting the puck on net will not hurt the team. I feel like they think they'll be reprimanded for taking too many shots. So many plays i feel could be kept alive if they would just put a shot on net. If anything, it wouldn't be so horribly predictable for the the opposing team to defend against them.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 02:44 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
How is there a debate that Murray is bad ?

He's not very good, but neither are Bouillon and Diaz.
Gorges-Diaz was a solid middle pairing during the span of games we were actually outplaying the teams we were beating. I don't see why Diaz gets so much ****. He's been very effective. People need to learn to stop judging hockey players on the one or two things they do well or badly and start judging them on how effective they are in the long run. IT doesn't matter how weak, strong, goofy, spacek, tall, short you appear to be, all that matters is how effective you are at, in this case, helping to keep more goals out of the net than you can help your offense score

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:24 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
God i wish the coaching staff would just take Desharnais and Galcheynuk aside and tell them over and over again that shooting the puck on net will not hurt the team. I feel like they think they'll be reprimanded for taking too many shots. So many plays i feel could be kept alive if they would just put a shot on net. If anything, it wouldn't be so horribly predictable for the the opposing team to defend against them.
At the same time, I wish they'd take Gionta aside and tell him to stop shooting.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 03:36 PM
BigDaddyLurch
I fought the Law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
At the same time, I wish they'd take Gionta aside and tell him to stop shooting.
...or just take him out of the lineup...

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Beendair Donedat

I'll give the little guy credit, he made a huge play in overtime to win the game. If he could play like that on a more consistent basis, I wouldn't hate him.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 04:08 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Gionta is on pace for a lot fewer shots than his normal average.

Either the coaching staff has heard you or Gionta's arm surgeries have made him shoot less.

Either way I find Gionta less annoying this year with the useless shooting from nowhere. But that's just my impression.

But he's still declining rapidly and need to be gone next year.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Like I've said before, I have no doubt that people watch hockey almost as often as me (2-3 games per night would certainly come close), but I still doubt they see more. Reading people's breakdowns of goals and other plays, including your own, confirms that on a daily basis. Isolating Murray for the blame on those two goals last game is just another example. Also, re-watching games with tunnel vision on what you want to see doesn't necessarily contribute as much as you'd think.
Right. Now I -watch- more games but I don't -see- more games. More semantics talk.

Maybe you should watch more games. Maybe watch games outside of Montreal too. It'll give you a perspective on other players. Like how I watched Murray in San Jose and Pittsburgh and knew he would be terrible here, or at least continue his poor play.

I isolated Murray because he was the discussion at the time and thus we discussed his play. It's par for the course on a hockey forum.

I think tunnel vision is correct, but it's not from the part of those that are correctly identifying the weak points on our team (IE: Murray).

Anyone watching the games can easily identify how terrible some players are. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Damn, that is an eye opener. Among the 10 worst in the goals for/against category, 2 players are with habs (2 of the top 3 in fact). Among that top ten, they're the only ones belonging to a playoff team. In fact, the next player on that list belonging to a playoff team is Alexander Edler at 25.
Definitely a clear indication of his play. And this tiny bit of research was spawned because of watching him play. Most people knew it was bad from the eye test, but this just confirms it.

Anyhow, I doubt they call up Tinordi. He's most likely in Hamilton for the next little while. We're stuck with terrible Murray as it stands.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
deandebean

Quote:
There's a reason why the center feels the need to play deep down every time Murray's on the ice.

That leaves the slot wide open.

I don't understand why this guy gets this support while DD gets crapped on daily while bringing much more to the team.

No in fact I understand, all these years lacking strength and size made some habs fan develop a strength/size fetish.
Whoa, I'm not defending him. I just stated that Lars did not do his job on the goal. That's it.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 05:46 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Subban was beasting last night 1 goal, +3, 6 shots.. 27 mins ice time.

Markov looks out of gas same time just like last year.

I love Markov but it's clear who the best defenseman of this team really is and it was never up for debate in my mind.

Oh and Weber was awesome too.
Markov looked bad because he wasn't paired with the PK. Still efficient with his great passing, though. Just couldn't get to the pucks first.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Whoa, I'm not defending him. I just stated that Lars did not do his job on the goal. That's it.
Don't try to pull that crap with me son, YOU WERE defending him.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 06:49 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Bourque was our best forward in last year's playoffs. He was a beast out there. Bourque has a very palatable contract and he's basically a top of the line 3rd liner who can play on a 1st or 2nd line in case of injuries and who can score 20-30 goals. Plus he is one of the few who has size.

He has not produced much this year but I'd cut him some slack because of all the injuries he got. Which he might still be playing through.

Every team could use guys like Bourque, AK on their 3rd line, IMO. Good bang for your bucks for players who can fill in on top lines when injuries occur. People will say they float and are inconsistent but if they were consistent they would not be paid 3M and be on 2nd or 3rd lines. Fill the line up with inconsistent 20-30 goals guys and you'll have a good team because one of them will be doing something on any given game.
I mean Bourque is a complete passenger right now. I would also say Pleky was our best player in that playoffs (even tho I'll grant you that Bourque was far from the worst). I'm not asking for a 60pt season for him, not even 50. Right now he's on pace for 22. Thats weak even for a third liner, especially considering he's not an energy forward by any means.

I think everyone understands we can't have 12 forwards that produce all the time but Bourque is the epidome of inconsistant. He's worst than AK imho.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I mean Bourque is a complete passenger right now.
He's made a career of that. Sadly, he's in our lab now and we can only confirm that he's no different than he was with his prior two employers.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Gionta is on pace for a lot fewer shots than his normal average.

Either the coaching staff has heard you or Gionta's arm surgeries have made him shoot less.

Either way I find Gionta less annoying this year with the useless shooting from nowhere. But that's just my impression.

But he's still declining rapidly and need to be gone next year.
Those bicep injuries have really slowed him down. I like the guy but his hay days are past him.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Markov looked bad because he wasn't paired with the PK. Still efficient with his great passing, though. Just couldn't get to the pucks first.
Markov did not look bad. Still played 23 minutes despite missing the last 10 minutes of the game.

He played just like he plays every game... was +1, led the team with 2 takeaways (0 giveaways).

He does not look out of gas like he was at the end of last year. He's much better this year especially defensively and looks like the old Markov.
Markov has 43 % of the D squad's takeaways this year. He had 29% last year.

Last edited by Nicko999: 12-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote