HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2013, 03:18 AM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
You might want to seek help for that cough.

The league has around 120-130 20+ scorers per season .. about four per team on average. We have more guys that that who are capable of surpassing that plateau. The issue is they aren't exhibiting the drive game in, game out. When they get down, few beyond Hornqvist are showing any fire every shift. Talent is meaningless when not applied ... and the application isn't there too often. As I've said for years, Trotz won't go until he loses the room ... that might be happening now.
I think it happened 6-8 weeks ago. When Pekka went down, so did the effort. I noticed Stallberg joking on ice with an opponent when the Preds were losing. It was a stark indication of apathy. I understand it's one player and one incident. But I've watched nearly every Preds game for the past 4-5 years. I've never seen a jocular Pred when losing a game. Something had better change soon. The last thing this organization needs is the acceptance of losing. That mentality is very difficult to shake off.

Old
12-20-2013, 03:20 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
I think it happened 6-8 weeks ago. When Pekka went down, so did the effort. I noticed Stallberg joking on ice with an opponent when the Preds were losing. It was a stark indication of apathy. I understand it's one player and one incident. But I've watched nearly every Preds game for the past 4-5 years. I've never seen a jocular Pred when losing a game. Something had better change soon. The last thing this organization needs is the acceptance of losing. That mentality is very difficult to shake off.
It'll be after the season, I'm sure, everyone knows how old southern money works

Old
12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

The effort is there. In reference to fighting back, we did twice last night only to have our backs broken by what looked like a beer league goalie last night. I know once was a funny bounce and one was a tip, but from 20 feet away they sure looked slow and soft. Hutton has to make those stops. I don't care if the puck acted like a keith hernandez spit wad, he has to make those stops.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:50 PM
utkpred

Why did we ever bench Mazanec, he was playing well.

Old
12-20-2013, 12:53 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
The effort is there. In reference to fighting back, we did twice last night only to have our backs broken by what looked like a beer league goalie last night. I know once was a funny bounce and one was a tip, but from 20 feet away they sure looked slow and soft. Hutton has to make those stops. I don't care if the puck acted like a keith hernandez spit wad, he has to make those stops.
We did it twice in the early 2nd ... then died off. Same thing against Chicago. Same pattern in most games the team falls behind at any point after the first.

Old
12-20-2013, 01:06 PM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkpred View Post
Why did we ever bench Mazanec, he was playing well.
Because he had a bad game against the Caps and had played a lot of games in a row. He needed a break and Hutton came in and played well and we won 3 games in a row. Maz also got the flu and we had to call Hellberg up for a game so there wasn't an option to put him in. I'm guessing Maz will get the start tomorrow.

Old
12-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
You think you'll be able to stuff Anders into your carry on for the trip back?

Old
12-20-2013, 10:53 PM
gratefulpred
Thread Killer

Did anyone catch Leggy on Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon on SiriusXM? When the question of him being a UFA at the end of the season came up he said the organization has not contacted him. He also said the organization should come to the player, not the player going to the organization. He said he likes Nashville and a decision to leave via Free Agency would be a family decision since he has been here for 15 years. The interviewer then cited several other players who were the face of their franchise (Alfredsson, Iginla and Lacavalier) leaving to go try and win somewhere else. Leggy said it would be nice to play for someone who will be playing into June. He also noted that lots of other folks are already getting locked up already but again, the organization had not come to his people. He wasn't really curt or anything but by the same token he did not sound all bubbly and a deal would be made and I want to stay in Nashville and retire a Predator.

Gave me a bad vibe. I think he is gone by the trade deadline and then who knows if we ever see him in a Preds jersey again. Hate to think it will happen but maybe we get something decent in return for him.

Old
12-21-2013, 03:55 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Just a friendly reminder, due to Hockey Night in Canada our game is at 6pm, eh.

Old
12-21-2013, 08:37 AM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post
Did anyone catch Leggy on Hockey Night in Canada radio this afternoon on SiriusXM? When the question of him being a UFA at the end of the season came up he said the organization has not contacted him. He also said the organization should come to the player, not the player going to the organization. He said he likes Nashville and a decision to leave via Free Agency would be a family decision since he has been here for 15 years. The interviewer then cited several other players who were the face of their franchise (Alfredsson, Iginla and Lacavalier) leaving to go try and win somewhere else. Leggy said it would be nice to play for someone who will be playing into June. He also noted that lots of other folks are already getting locked up already but again, the organization had not come to his people. He wasn't really curt or anything but by the same token he did not sound all bubbly and a deal would be made and I want to stay in Nashville and retire a Predator.

Gave me a bad vibe. I think he is gone by the trade deadline and then who knows if we ever see him in a Preds jersey again. Hate to think it will happen but maybe we get something decent in return for him.
This is one reason why Poile needs to go. He needs to figure out if he wants to keep Legwand or sign him now. Guys are getting locked up during the season, Poile should be able to do the same thing. And if he is too damn busy with the Oly team then get Fenton to do it. Poile needs to quit being such passive pansy or just quit period.

Old
12-21-2013, 10:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Pole is to busy with team USA

Old
12-21-2013, 10:26 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
This is one reason why Poile needs to go. He needs to figure out if he wants to keep Legwand or sign him now. Guys are getting locked up during the season, Poile should be able to do the same thing. And if he is too damn busy with the Oly team then get Fenton to do it. Poile needs to quit being such passive pansy or just quit period.
I think they already decided when they didn't offer him a contract in the summer. If Legwand really wanted to stay he would have approached the preds. Legwand isn't Weber or Suter he isn't a young franchise player. We already have 2 Legwands on the team in Fisher and Cullen we don't need 3. Time for a rebuild and Leggy is the 1st to go since he is a UFA that can get us something at the deadline. Hard to see him go but it is time.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:29 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid View Post

I think this is an indication that we are considering a full rebuild. Leggy is no use to us if its going to be three years before we are a contender again.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:33 AM
NoNecksCurse

leggys time is up.. sell to highest bidder. should be late first easy.. and maybe a mid tier prospect. gaustad got a 1st, gill and kostitsyn 2nds.. if poile gets less than a first, something is wrong.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:37 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think this is an indication that we are considering a full rebuild. Leggy is no use to us if its going to be three years before we are a contender again.
I hope if its a full 3 year rebuild, Poile's not the one doing it.

Old
12-21-2013, 11:39 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I hope if its a full 3 year rebuild, Poile's not the one doing it.
don't see how a full rebuild could go down and poile / trotz are still here. they would be here 20 years by the time the rebuild would hopefully (key word hopefully) be over with absolutely zero things to show for their time here.

Old
12-21-2013, 12:15 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I think if a full rebuild is coming Trotz and Poile both go. Whether Fenton and Housley are given the reins or a whole new hockey ops team comes in would be the salient question

Old
12-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think if a full rebuild is coming Trotz and Poile both go. Whether Fenton and Housley are given the reins or a whole new hockey ops team comes in would be the salient question
More of the same (Poile hired them both)

Old
12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Fenton, yes, but I don't know that Housley would = Trotz. He's one of the best offensive minded D men of all time… I would think he would run a more wide-open offense over all

Old
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I was thinking about this earlier today. I am not so sure Fenton would operate the club like DP has-- does Shero run the Pens like Poile runs the Preds? He cut his teeth under DP too...
I do think if one goes the other goes, if not immediately clearly the handwriting is on the wall that major change is imminent. And no, don't chalk me into the column of folks that think Trotz is a bad coach. By no means is that true. I am coming to believe his tenure in this org has runs its course. I absolutely think he will coach in the NHL again and would really be shocked if he was unsuccessful (in the right circumstances). I think in Winnipeg for example he could right now make them much better.

But I am coming to feel that the combo of DP's conservative thinking and Trotz's systems are not suited to where this club wants and needs to go right now.

Old
12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

As I occasionally am wont to do - and to try to get over this funk that I am in (non-Predators related) - I decided to use my Preds Overall Excel spreadsheet to some figuring.

I'd always wondered if there had been a time in Preds history where we'd dominated another team. (Hint: we haven't.) Even so, there had to be, at some point, where we were so totally dominant that we "outworked" an opposing team throughout a game.

Since I don't have a "worked/outworked" column in my spreadsheets, I decided to do a little point system. Breaking down each game by periods, I assigned a +1 value every time the Preds had more goals or shots in a period than their opponent, and a -1 value every time their opponent had more goals or shots in a period. (Ties got zeroes, of course.)

Then, for the entire game, I did the same for advantages and power-play goals (+1 for more, 0 for same, -1 for fewer). To top it off, I awarded a point when the Preds scored one or more short-handed goals, and subtracted a point when the Preds allowed one or more short-handed goals.

I didn't do anything for empty-netters or anything like that; I could have done a +/- for shutouts, but decided that would be repetitive.

Theoretically, in a regulation game, a team could get a total of 9 points, plus or minus.

The highest total that Nashville had ever achieved in a game is +8, done three times: 6 April 2006 at Saint Louis (3-0 win); 21 November 2009 vs. Columbus (4-3 shootout win); and 18 March 2010 vs. Minnesota (5-0 win).

The three worst totals were -8, done three times: 11 January 1999 at Philadelphia (8-0 loss, arguably the worst loss in franchise history); 18 February 2009 at Detroit (6-2 loss at the Joe); and 28 October 2010 vs. Saint Louis (3-0 loss - but the Preds were outshot in every period, and the Blues went 1-5 on the power play, while Nashville went oh-for-3; one of the Blues' goals was a shortie).

Old
12-22-2013, 08:58 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Preds official message boards are down.

Old
12-22-2013, 10:14 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Preds official message boards are down.
Have been for a couple of days. The new Pred employee mod said "hopefully be back up soon " via email. For a person who admonished Chas to act his age, the smiley in a work email rubbed me the wrong way.

Old
12-23-2013, 12:50 PM
cleangene

Almost Noon and no GDT for tonight's contest yet- where is that "apathy" thread on here again? If I may submit a title candidate, how about....THEY'RE BIG AND BAD WHILE WE'RE JUST BAD. ???????

Old
12-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Have been for a couple of days. The new Pred employee mod said "hopefully be back up soon " via email. For a person who admonished Chas to act his age, the smiley in a work email rubbed me the wrong way.
Hopefully they stay down, if that woman is in charge there's no need to go back.

Closed Thread