HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Star Reserves- No Jagr!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2007, 04:13 PM
  #26
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
ok, so how do you explain Straka and Nylander getting snubbed over 41 point Justin Williams & 37 Eric Staal? Even their two teammates Brindamour and Whitney are doing far better than those two. What the hell is going on? I can't argue with the rest of the selections since each team gets to send one player but Boston sends Chara over Savard??? Bouwmeester is doing that much better than Jokinen?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:31 PM
  #27
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,084
vCash: 500
yep, on sams blog, it mentions that the RANGERS asked for Jagr to be let off of the all star roster.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 04:38 PM
  #28
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
No biggie. Jags needs the rest. The All-Star game is boring anyway. I always liked the skills challenge though. Are they doing that this year?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:03 PM
  #29
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Jagr is the best player in the world. I don't care what anybody says.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 05:14 PM
  #30
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
You have got to be kidding me.

Wow. This league is ****ing retarded.
Learned a long time ago that All-Star selections are a waste of time, and not worth taking personally, whatsoever. There are politics within the game (when coaches/GMs pick players), and when it comes to fans voting:

Personally, I'd be happy if none of my team's players had to waste the travel and time and could instead rest up their bodies. Time off in mid-January is just what the doctor ordered for vets like Jagr, Straka, etc. As a matter of fact, would not be the least bit surprised if Jagr begged out of the game behind the scenes, given his having to come back this season off of significant surgery (read: any rest is good). I would not blame him one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
ok, so how do you explain Straka and Nylander getting snubbed over 41 point Justin Williams....
A strong argument can be made for Straka. Your's is not it. This is not fantasy league, offensive numbers alone do not tell the value of a player (and that includes both Straka and Williams). Williams has been arguably the best player this season on the defending Stanley Cup champs.


Last edited by Trottier: 01-13-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 06:48 PM
  #31
Krejci Knows Techno
Playoffs *****
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nashua NH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
hey, i feel your guys pain, not only did williams and blake get in over jagr and straka but savard got jipped too this allstar crap is getting pretty old if you ask me

Krejci Knows Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:25 PM
  #32
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
It's pretty ridiculous he and Straka did not get voted in. However, I think as Rangers fans we all know that the All-Star game is usually more trouble than it's worth...Richter anyone?

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:28 PM
  #33
VEGASRANGERFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
How did Yanic Perreault make it? Didn't he miss like half the season? Oh yeah, he's on the Coyotes!

VEGASRANGERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:52 PM
  #34
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Actually, this looks like it was Jagr's decision:



http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2730232
If I heard correctly, on CBC they said they asked Jagr if he would go and he said no.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:02 PM
  #35
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne
 
Brooklyndevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If I heard correctly, on CBC they said they asked Jagr if he would go and he said no.
I'm with Kim here. Jagr not getting picked wpuld be rediculous. He must have informed whoever that he isn't going and can use the rest.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:11 AM
  #36
Uncle Jorgi
Registered User
 
Uncle Jorgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaws View Post
Staal REALLY does not deserve it this year...
Agreed. I can deal with Justin Williams making it as he is the Cane's best choice, but there's no serious reason to even consider Eric Staal as a possibility for All-Star this year. Especially not at the expense of a guy like Straka, but i pretty much expected Marty to get passed over, as he has never ever gotten the recognition or respect he has deserved in his career. I swear, he could be leading the league in points and he would probably still get left off ...

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:38 AM
  #37
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Talbot View Post
Agreed. I can deal with Justin Williams making it as he is the Cane's best choice, but there's no serious reason to even consider Eric Staal as a possibility for All-Star this year. Especially not at the expense of a guy like Straka, but i pretty much expected Marty to get passed over, as he has never ever gotten the recognition or respect he has deserved in his career. I swear, he could be leading the league in points and he would probably still get left off ...
i agree, maybe that is why he is so good. I wish he did get more of the star status. He has been very good for years, had a injury on the kings but rebounded very well. I hope he plays for as long as jagr is here.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:51 AM
  #38
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,039
vCash: 500
No problem.

Good, snub him. Hopefully it pisses him off a little and makes him feel like he has something to prove. I like that he'll get a few days rest anyway.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:01 AM
  #39
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,405
vCash: 500
i didn't want to start a whole new thread because the announcement was so old and may already exist but on the subject of all-stars, Daniel Giraldi and Ryan Callahan were both named to the AHL all-star game. Due to the wacky AHL format though, they will be playing on different teams. Krog was also named. I wonder if the Rangers will let him go play.

this might deserve it's own thread however.
http://theahl.com/news/allstar/index...rticle_id=7362

Quote:
Girardi’s luck finally changed when he was traded to the Guelph Storm. That earned him a trip to the Memorial Cup. The next season he got another, this one as a member of the Memorial Cup champion London Knights.

“We played Rimouski and Sidney Crosby and it was a great experience,” Girardi said. “I was on the ice for just about every shift against Sidney.”

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:06 AM
  #40
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
i didn't want to start a whole new thread because the announcement was so old and may already exist but on the subject of all-stars, Daniel Giraldi and Ryan Callahan were both named to the AHL all-star game. Due to the wacky AHL format though, they will be playing on different teams. Krog was also named. I wonder if the Rangers will let him go play.

this might deserve it's own thread however.
http://theahl.com/news/allstar/index...rticle_id=7362
any chance Giraldi gets called up??

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:49 AM
  #41
crisb
Registered User
 
crisb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Jagr told Sather that he would rather not be picked because he isn't 100%. Sather then told the NHL.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:40 PM
  #42
Titan124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
It's amusing to me how much the league likes to neglect their biggest markets (mostly in other ways than this, but this is funny as well). No Jagr, no Sundin. They should really call this the Currently Good Players game.

At least that stupid Rory Fitzpatrick thing failed.

Umm... What do you think the allstar game is? I thought it was understood that it's supposed to be a currently good players game, but its turned into a who was good this year and last year, hence Cheechoo and Staal. I find it amusing that you are so full of yourself and you're team that you think that the Rangers should be given special treatment for being in New York, and the Leafs for being in Toronto. Do you also think that people should be drafted based on how successful family members are? It's the same concept, big last names shouldn't get treatment for being related, and big market teams shouldn't get special treatment for being in big cities. Besides, if the Rangers and Maple Leafs are such huge, dedicated markets as you say, how come they couldn't vote any of their players in. Don't get me wrong, Briere and Campbell shouldn't be starting, in fact, I'm not sure that either should even be in the game (because it's supposed to be based on how good a player is this year), but if Buffalo has fans dedicated to their team enough to vote in 3 starters and Rangers can't vote in one, why do you want them to play favoritism. Seems like Bettman thinking to me.

Jagr definitely should be in. If you're 6th in points in the league, intangibles don't matter, you should be in.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
  #43
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,142
vCash: 500
From: http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6367004



"Jagr, who'll stay home from the All-Star game to rest, had one assist and picked up a roughing penalty during an angry, shoving exchange with Paul Mara in the second period. He grew tired of shots to the head that went unpenalized, but wasn't ready to throw off his gloves and fight.

"They put glue in my gloves," he said. "Next year.""

It's his decision to stay out of it and work on his shoulder strength.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:47 PM
  #44
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,443
vCash: 500
Even if Jagr said he didn't want to go they should have still put his name on the roster as a sign of respect. He could have just said again that he would not go and then they would put in a replacement.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 04:53 PM
  #45
barrel_master
Amber Heard
 
barrel_master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,922
vCash: 500
It's too bad... he deserves it.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
  #46
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Even if Jagr said he didn't want to go they should have still put his name on the roster as a sign of respect. He could have just said again that he would not go and then they would put in a replacement.
I don't think he really cares. It's more a chance for the fans to boast about how many players from there team made it.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 02:47 AM
  #47
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,635
vCash: 500
Glad Jagr will get some rest, he needs it. Even if he was 100%, he doesn't give a hoot about the All-Star game.

Congrats to Shanny!

Straka deserved to be selected for his consistent all-around play this season, especially as it would be a rarity for him and he probably won't play in NHL much longer.

They should have selected Jagr to team, then replaced him due to injury with Straka (if not already selected).

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 10:52 AM
  #48
nyrmessier011
Registered User
 
nyrmessier011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Charlotte/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Lecavalier? justin williams? JASON BLAKE?

unbelievable. Justin williams and vincent lecavalier are in no way more deserving of a spot over jaromir, and there's no excuse like in JASON ****ING BLAKE'S case where each team needs one player. amazing. its why the all star game is stupid. Just rest

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
  #49
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
With the season he's having, there's no reason for Lecavalier to be chosen over Jagr, or St. Louis for that matter.

Edit:

Quote:
Lecavalier? justin williams? JASON BLAKE?
To be fair, Jason Blake is down right good, and I think he deserves a chance at the All Star game. Justin Williams, though a bit quieter, is definitely a great player and was a many reason for the Hurricanes having such a good run to the Stanley Cup. He naturally just turns it up in the playoffs.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
  #50
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post
To be fair, Jason Blake is down right good, and I think he deserves a chance at the All Star game. Justin Williams, though a bit quieter, is definitely a great player and was a many reason for the Hurricanes having such a good run to the Stanley Cup. He naturally just turns it up in the playoffs.
Of course, one needs to be more than a myopic fanboy to appreciate the facts you state.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.