HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2013, 01:47 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Pretty much. If an elite top dman isn't coming back... then why trade the pick, and an elite top dman won't be coming back so the pick should be kept.
As much as I want them to give up the toy (that being the pick), if you have a chance to draft Ekblad then you take it.

No more forwards, we need help on the back end and this is the best way to do it.

Old
12-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Shizuka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Exactly. The odds of us getting full value out of that type of a trade are slim and none and slim just left town. Make the pick and ffs add more help via FA and trades. Get Gagner out of here ASAP, throw big money at guys like Ott, Brian Boyle, Ryan Reaves, Dan Girardi, Ryan Callahan, etc. Toughen team up and turn this ship around.
But that's the catch-22 isn't it? The more they suck and lose, the more the raging and complaining will rise, and management/ownership might feel pressure to make a panic move. Fans don't have patience to wait through a rebuild, in spite of the drum being pounded by the likes of media talking heads (Stauffer, Gregor, et al). I'd have more patience as a fan if we simply competed, like virtually every other NHL team, many of those far less talented than the lineup we ice on a nightly basis. They do far more with far far less than this squad (Calgary and Nashville instantly come to mind). What is wrong with these players? They all worked hard, competed at very high levels, just to make it to the pinnacle -- and now they ****ing turn their noses up at working hard, fighting for every inch of space, battling hard during puck battles, etc? What we see currently are players dogging it, even on damn line changes. No hard back check, no pressure back down the ice, piss poor puck support...

To me, that's where the sense of entitlement comes from; why it feels like a bunch of primadonnas content with their lot in life, instead of a team ready and willing to fight for their professional pride, for one another, for themselves individually... for ****'s sake. Gagner, for sure, should be moved -- but he's been promised that he will not, at least for the next two years. What player in his right mind is going to choose to come to an organization with a losing pedigree for the last 5 seasons, with no hope in sight? I can tell you just from interviews you hear, Gordon is deeply regretful -- that's one player who sounds like he's tuned out, though he still brings it every shift and night he plays. These players...this ****ing organization...

Old
12-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Unless we're getting either Ekblad or Reinhart (I personally prefer the former), we should package the pick along with the likes of Eberle and Gagner for a legit #1 dman.

Old
12-22-2013, 03:03 PM
MoneyGuy

If you can get Ekblad I think you keep the pick. If I'm Ekblad, I'm not wanting to go to this black hole of the NHL. ABE, anybody but Edmonton.

Old
12-22-2013, 04:01 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm curious about something. Say we end up picking 2nd. What would Buffalo want to guarantee they don't take Ekblad?

Old
12-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Bryan. You take Ekblad and then try and sign enough people that he's not relied upon. With how much the cap is going up, its all about picking the right UFAs, and ensuring you offer enough to get them. We're going to have an insane amount of capspace. Time to make use of it
What player in their right mind would want to sign with this CF of a clown show.

Old
12-22-2013, 04:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
What player in their right mind would want to sign with this CF of a clown show.
Those who want money. Offer Phaneuf 8.5x7, Girardi 6.5x7, Ott 4x4, Hiller 6x3, etc. Maybe only a few want the extra money, but with all the capspace available, I think this is going to be a better than usual group of free agents.

12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Those who want money. Offer Phaneuf 8.5x7, Girardi 6.5x7, Ott 4x4, Hiller 6x3, etc. Maybe only a few want the extra money, but with all the capspace available, I think this is going to be a better than usual group of free agents.
Phagoof is overrated but the rest I like. Remember we threw a **** load of money at Hossa and he declined.

Old
12-22-2013, 04:35 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Phagoof is overrated but the rest I like. Remember we threw a **** load of money at Hossa and he declined.
Phaneuf would be our best defenceman by a very large margin. We aren't really in a position to be picky.

He'd probably sign in Calgary before he signs here though.

Old
12-22-2013, 04:53 PM
yukoner88

Quote:
Trust me I think that it's safe to say that not a single fan of this team is happy about where we are right now. That said we are 3 games from the 1/2 way point of the season and we are out of playoff contention already.
we were out if it before halloween

Old
12-22-2013, 04:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Phaneuf is underrated imo. People talk about him like he's a bottom pairing dman. At the very least, he's a very good #2. I fully expect most people to decline the money. It's about having enough lines in the water, that you can catch a few. I'd be talking to all of the top dmen. Even a guy like Morris (who's from Edmonton) could step in and be a solid 2nd pairing guy. Say we only land Boyle and Morris on shorter term deals because they want big paydays before retirement. That's still a major upgrade.

Ference - Boyle
Morris - Petry
Nurse/Klefa/Belov/UFA - J. Schultz

It's not perfect, but its respectable. Ideally, I want

Phaneuf - Girardi
Mitchell - Petry
Ference - J. Schultz

Old
12-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Fat Jughead

Quote:
I'm curious about something. Say we end up picking 2nd. What would Buffalo want to guarantee they don't take Ekblad?

I don't think you can talk them out of drafting D, but they just might settle for a bobsled.

Old
12-22-2013, 05:09 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
I could see Buffalo trading down for Dal Colle/Draisatl.

Maybe Flames trade Bartschi, 1st in 2015 and their 1st (4th overall) for the 1st overall and take Ekblad just to **** us. Then Lowe and Mac T have a tandem meltdown and take Jake Virtanen at 2nd overall in some sort of quasi revenge.

=Flames get Ekblad and Lindblom (Burke acquires another 1st pick)
=Sabres get Bartschi, Dal Colle and a another 1st next year
-MacT takes Virtanen and trades the rest of the picks for scraps and fails to get anything of value for pending UFAs.

Old
12-22-2013, 05:15 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Once again this is another draft with no franchise player. The oilers will not be able to get enough if they trade just the pick but they could work on a block buster that includes the pick and one of the young kids.
Ekblad will be a franchise player for sure.

Old
12-22-2013, 06:45 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I think Reinhart and Ekblad are likely getting underrated a little (or even a LOT).

Not every draft is going to have a Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin type player... and the Oilers don't NEED that either.

If they had a handful of players like Getzlaf/Okposo/Kesler/Keith/Seabrook types they'd obviously be laughing and none of them were #1 generational types when drafted.

Old
12-22-2013, 06:51 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
^odd because those are the exact players we need, but even then, there are some who think Dion is a #2 d-man and not an actual #1....seems like a lot of money to throw at a guy who isn't a #1 d-man...some good and interesting opinions though....

Old
12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
But that's the catch-22 isn't it? The more they suck and lose, the more the raging and complaining will rise, and management/ownership might feel pressure to make a panic move. Fans don't have patience to wait through a rebuild, in spite of the drum being pounded by the likes of media talking heads (Stauffer, Gregor, et al). I'd have more patience as a fan if we simply competed, like virtually every other NHL team, many of those far less talented than the lineup we ice on a nightly basis. They do far more with far far less than this squad (Calgary and Nashville instantly come to mind). What is wrong with these players? They all worked hard, competed at very high levels, just to make it to the pinnacle -- and now they ****ing turn their noses up at working hard, fighting for every inch of space, battling hard during puck battles, etc? What we see currently are players dogging it, even on damn line changes. No hard back check, no pressure back down the ice, piss poor puck support...

To me, that's where the sense of entitlement comes from; why it feels like a bunch of primadonnas content with their lot in life, instead of a team ready and willing to fight for their professional pride, for one another, for themselves individually... for ****'s sake. Gagner, for sure, should be moved -- but he's been promised that he will not, at least for the next two years. What player in his right mind is going to choose to come to an organization with a losing pedigree for the last 5 seasons, with no hope in sight? I can tell you just from interviews you hear, Gordon is deeply regretful -- that's one player who sounds like he's tuned out, though he still brings it every shift and night he plays. These players...this ****ing organization...
The sense of entitlement is terrible, however we need guys here to push the entitled guys for ice time. Eberle dogs it? Who do you turn to? Hemsky? If RNH dogs it you have Gagner, etc.

We need a group of hard working no nonsense veterans on this team surrounding and pushing these kids. Guys with a motor that doesn't quit and have a work ethic that never stops.

Gordon, Perron, Ference, we need about 4-6 more guys with the same kind of compete level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I think Reinhart and Ekblad are likely getting underrated a little (or even a LOT).

Not every draft is going to have a Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin type player... and the Oilers don't NEED that either.

If they had a handful of players like Getzlaf/Okposo/Kesler/Keith/Seabrook types they'd obviously be laughing and none of them were #1 generational types when drafted.
Okposo? Really? Has he taken big steps this season?

12-22-2013, 07:14 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Okposo? Really? Has he taken big steps this season?
Well replace him with another decent non-generational asset then that the Oilers could use.

And yes, Okposo has been decent. I'd certainly take him on the Oilers.

My point is that even if Ekblad/Reinhart just turn out to be "good"
players and not superstars... that's a good reason to keep that pick... the Oilers can use more good players rather than needing superstars.

Old
12-22-2013, 07:15 PM
spOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post

I don't think you can talk them out of drafting D, but they just might settle for a bobsled.
Are you crazy they have no forwards they will take 1 of the centers for sure. They have been gutted in terms of forwards.

Old
12-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Besides the team actually taking strides to become a good club and contend for the playoffs, drafting Ekblad would be the second best outcome of this season.

IMO, he's logistically our best shot at a top pairing defenseman.

I'll try and satisfy my hockey hunger with WJC and Olympics. Sigh.

Old
12-22-2013, 07:29 PM
bsmith14

If we pick 2nd and Ekblad gets taken first, do we draft Reinhart? Personally I am not comfortable with that. I would just as much trade down for Dal Colle or just trade the pick entirely.

Old
12-22-2013, 07:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad gets taken first, do we draft Reinhart? Personally I am not comfortable with that. I would just as much trade down for Dal Colle or just trade the pick entirely.
All you have to do is ask yourself one question, do you want Gagner to be our 2C going forward? If the answer is yes then don't take him.

Old
12-22-2013, 08:11 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
All you have to do is ask yourself one question, do you want Gagner to be our 2C going forward? If the answer is yes then don't take him.
good point lol

Old
12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
A 1B Center would not hurt this team in the slightest. Maybe he even turns out to be more dominant that RNH and becomes our 1C while RNH goes to 2C duties. Who knows. There are two potential top C's imo (Reinhart and Draisaitl) and a 1D (Ekblad)

Both are good long term for this team. We have a ton of players who are the same, we can stand to move those pieces first before we think about screwing out chances at a 1D or 1B C.

Old
12-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Bill Waters

vCash: 495
The Edmonton Oilers are so very proud to select, 2nd overall, William Nylander.

Closed Thread