HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2013, 01:47 PM
  #26
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,253
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Pretty much. If an elite top dman isn't coming back... then why trade the pick, and an elite top dman won't be coming back so the pick should be kept.
As much as I want them to give up the toy (that being the pick), if you have a chance to draft Ekblad then you take it.

No more forwards, we need help on the back end and this is the best way to do it.

GreatKeith is online now  
Old
12-22-2013, 02:04 PM
  #27
Shizuka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In purgatory
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Exactly. The odds of us getting full value out of that type of a trade are slim and none and slim just left town. Make the pick and ffs add more help via FA and trades. Get Gagner out of here ASAP, throw big money at guys like Ott, Brian Boyle, Ryan Reaves, Dan Girardi, Ryan Callahan, etc. Toughen team up and turn this ship around.
But that's the catch-22 isn't it? The more they suck and lose, the more the raging and complaining will rise, and management/ownership might feel pressure to make a panic move. Fans don't have patience to wait through a rebuild, in spite of the drum being pounded by the likes of media talking heads (Stauffer, Gregor, et al). I'd have more patience as a fan if we simply competed, like virtually every other NHL team, many of those far less talented than the lineup we ice on a nightly basis. They do far more with far far less than this squad (Calgary and Nashville instantly come to mind). What is wrong with these players? They all worked hard, competed at very high levels, just to make it to the pinnacle -- and now they ****ing turn their noses up at working hard, fighting for every inch of space, battling hard during puck battles, etc? What we see currently are players dogging it, even on damn line changes. No hard back check, no pressure back down the ice, piss poor puck support...

To me, that's where the sense of entitlement comes from; why it feels like a bunch of primadonnas content with their lot in life, instead of a team ready and willing to fight for their professional pride, for one another, for themselves individually... for ****'s sake. Gagner, for sure, should be moved -- but he's been promised that he will not, at least for the next two years. What player in his right mind is going to choose to come to an organization with a losing pedigree for the last 5 seasons, with no hope in sight? I can tell you just from interviews you hear, Gordon is deeply regretful -- that's one player who sounds like he's tuned out, though he still brings it every shift and night he plays. These players...this ****ing organization...

Shizuka is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 02:13 PM
  #28
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,421
vCash: 500
Unless we're getting either Ekblad or Reinhart (I personally prefer the former), we should package the pick along with the likes of Eberle and Gagner for a legit #1 dman.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 03:03 PM
  #29
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,219
vCash: 500
If you can get Ekblad I think you keep the pick. If I'm Ekblad, I'm not wanting to go to this black hole of the NHL. ABE, anybody but Edmonton.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:01 PM
  #30
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,937
vCash: 1026
I'm curious about something. Say we end up picking 2nd. What would Buffalo want to guarantee they don't take Ekblad?

The Nuge is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:03 PM
  #31
Expatriate
Registered User
 
Expatriate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Couldn't agree with you more Bryan. You take Ekblad and then try and sign enough people that he's not relied upon. With how much the cap is going up, its all about picking the right UFAs, and ensuring you offer enough to get them. We're going to have an insane amount of capspace. Time to make use of it
What player in their right mind would want to sign with this CF of a clown show.

Expatriate is online now  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:08 PM
  #32
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,937
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
What player in their right mind would want to sign with this CF of a clown show.
Those who want money. Offer Phaneuf 8.5x7, Girardi 6.5x7, Ott 4x4, Hiller 6x3, etc. Maybe only a few want the extra money, but with all the capspace available, I think this is going to be a better than usual group of free agents.

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
  #33
Expatriate
Registered User
 
Expatriate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Those who want money. Offer Phaneuf 8.5x7, Girardi 6.5x7, Ott 4x4, Hiller 6x3, etc. Maybe only a few want the extra money, but with all the capspace available, I think this is going to be a better than usual group of free agents.
Phagoof is overrated but the rest I like. Remember we threw a **** load of money at Hossa and he declined.

Expatriate is online now  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  #34
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,673
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Phagoof is overrated but the rest I like. Remember we threw a **** load of money at Hossa and he declined.
Phaneuf would be our best defenceman by a very large margin. We aren't really in a position to be picky.

He'd probably sign in Calgary before he signs here though.

OilerTyler is online now  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #35
yukoner88
Registered User
 
yukoner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dawson City, YT
Posts: 2,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Trust me I think that it's safe to say that not a single fan of this team is happy about where we are right now. That said we are 3 games from the 1/2 way point of the season and we are out of playoff contention already.
we were out if it before halloween

yukoner88 is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 04:56 PM
  #36
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,937
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Phagoof is overrated but the rest I like. Remember we threw a **** load of money at Hossa and he declined.
Phaneuf is underrated imo. People talk about him like he's a bottom pairing dman. At the very least, he's a very good #2. I fully expect most people to decline the money. It's about having enough lines in the water, that you can catch a few. I'd be talking to all of the top dmen. Even a guy like Morris (who's from Edmonton) could step in and be a solid 2nd pairing guy. Say we only land Boyle and Morris on shorter term deals because they want big paydays before retirement. That's still a major upgrade.

Ference - Boyle
Morris - Petry
Nurse/Klefa/Belov/UFA - J. Schultz

It's not perfect, but its respectable. Ideally, I want

Phaneuf - Girardi
Mitchell - Petry
Ference - J. Schultz

The Nuge is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 05:04 PM
  #37
Fat Jughead
Registered User
 
Fat Jughead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Milbury
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm curious about something. Say we end up picking 2nd. What would Buffalo want to guarantee they don't take Ekblad?


I don't think you can talk them out of drafting D, but they just might settle for a bobsled.

Fat Jughead is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 05:09 PM
  #38
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 157
I could see Buffalo trading down for Dal Colle/Draisatl.

Maybe Flames trade Bartschi, 1st in 2015 and their 1st (4th overall) for the 1st overall and take Ekblad just to **** us. Then Lowe and Mac T have a tandem meltdown and take Jake Virtanen at 2nd overall in some sort of quasi revenge.

=Flames get Ekblad and Lindblom (Burke acquires another 1st pick)
=Sabres get Bartschi, Dal Colle and a another 1st next year
-MacT takes Virtanen and trades the rest of the picks for scraps and fails to get anything of value for pending UFAs.

BoldNewLettuce is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 05:15 PM
  #39
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored
 
notloilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Once again this is another draft with no franchise player. The oilers will not be able to get enough if they trade just the pick but they could work on a block buster that includes the pick and one of the young kids.
Ekblad will be a franchise player for sure.

notloilersfan is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 06:45 PM
  #40
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,965
vCash: 50
I think Reinhart and Ekblad are likely getting underrated a little (or even a LOT).

Not every draft is going to have a Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin type player... and the Oilers don't NEED that either.

If they had a handful of players like Getzlaf/Okposo/Kesler/Keith/Seabrook types they'd obviously be laughing and none of them were #1 generational types when drafted.

nexttothemoon is online now  
Old
12-22-2013, 06:51 PM
  #41
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Those who want money. Offer Phaneuf 8.5x7, Girardi 6.5x7, Ott 4x4, Hiller 6x3, etc. Maybe only a few want the extra money, but with all the capspace available, I think this is going to be a better than usual group of free agents.
^odd because those are the exact players we need, but even then, there are some who think Dion is a #2 d-man and not an actual #1....seems like a lot of money to throw at a guy who isn't a #1 d-man...some good and interesting opinions though....

ManByng is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 06:53 PM
  #42
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
But that's the catch-22 isn't it? The more they suck and lose, the more the raging and complaining will rise, and management/ownership might feel pressure to make a panic move. Fans don't have patience to wait through a rebuild, in spite of the drum being pounded by the likes of media talking heads (Stauffer, Gregor, et al). I'd have more patience as a fan if we simply competed, like virtually every other NHL team, many of those far less talented than the lineup we ice on a nightly basis. They do far more with far far less than this squad (Calgary and Nashville instantly come to mind). What is wrong with these players? They all worked hard, competed at very high levels, just to make it to the pinnacle -- and now they ****ing turn their noses up at working hard, fighting for every inch of space, battling hard during puck battles, etc? What we see currently are players dogging it, even on damn line changes. No hard back check, no pressure back down the ice, piss poor puck support...

To me, that's where the sense of entitlement comes from; why it feels like a bunch of primadonnas content with their lot in life, instead of a team ready and willing to fight for their professional pride, for one another, for themselves individually... for ****'s sake. Gagner, for sure, should be moved -- but he's been promised that he will not, at least for the next two years. What player in his right mind is going to choose to come to an organization with a losing pedigree for the last 5 seasons, with no hope in sight? I can tell you just from interviews you hear, Gordon is deeply regretful -- that's one player who sounds like he's tuned out, though he still brings it every shift and night he plays. These players...this ****ing organization...
The sense of entitlement is terrible, however we need guys here to push the entitled guys for ice time. Eberle dogs it? Who do you turn to? Hemsky? If RNH dogs it you have Gagner, etc.

We need a group of hard working no nonsense veterans on this team surrounding and pushing these kids. Guys with a motor that doesn't quit and have a work ethic that never stops.

Gordon, Perron, Ference, we need about 4-6 more guys with the same kind of compete level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I think Reinhart and Ekblad are likely getting underrated a little (or even a LOT).

Not every draft is going to have a Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos/Ovechkin type player... and the Oilers don't NEED that either.

If they had a handful of players like Getzlaf/Okposo/Kesler/Keith/Seabrook types they'd obviously be laughing and none of them were #1 generational types when drafted.
Okposo? Really? Has he taken big steps this season?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 07:14 PM
  #43
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,965
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Okposo? Really? Has he taken big steps this season?
Well replace him with another decent non-generational asset then that the Oilers could use.

And yes, Okposo has been decent. I'd certainly take him on the Oilers.


My point is that even if Ekblad/Reinhart just turn out to be "good"
players and not superstars... that's a good reason to keep that pick... the Oilers can use more good players rather than needing superstars.

nexttothemoon is online now  
Old
12-22-2013, 07:15 PM
  #44
spOiler
Registered User
 
spOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post


I don't think you can talk them out of drafting D, but they just might settle for a bobsled.
Are you crazy they have no forwards they will take 1 of the centers for sure. They have been gutted in terms of forwards.

spOiler is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 07:23 PM
  #45
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,070
vCash: 500
Besides the team actually taking strides to become a good club and contend for the playoffs, drafting Ekblad would be the second best outcome of this season.

IMO, he's logistically our best shot at a top pairing defenseman.

I'll try and satisfy my hockey hunger with WJC and Olympics. Sigh.

Soli is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 07:29 PM
  #46
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad gets taken first, do we draft Reinhart? Personally I am not comfortable with that. I would just as much trade down for Dal Colle or just trade the pick entirely.

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 07:32 PM
  #47
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad gets taken first, do we draft Reinhart? Personally I am not comfortable with that. I would just as much trade down for Dal Colle or just trade the pick entirely.
All you have to do is ask yourself one question, do you want Gagner to be our 2C going forward? If the answer is yes then don't take him.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 08:11 PM
  #48
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
All you have to do is ask yourself one question, do you want Gagner to be our 2C going forward? If the answer is yes then don't take him.
good point lol

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
  #49
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
If we pick 2nd and Ekblad gets taken first, do we draft Reinhart? Personally I am not comfortable with that. I would just as much trade down for Dal Colle or just trade the pick entirely.
A 1B Center would not hurt this team in the slightest. Maybe he even turns out to be more dominant that RNH and becomes our 1C while RNH goes to 2C duties. Who knows. There are two potential top C's imo (Reinhart and Draisaitl) and a 1D (Ekblad)

Both are good long term for this team. We have a ton of players who are the same, we can stand to move those pieces first before we think about screwing out chances at a 1D or 1B C.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
12-22-2013, 08:43 PM
  #50
Bill Waters
Registered User
 
Bill Waters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orillia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 495
The Edmonton Oilers are so very proud to select, 2nd overall, William Nylander.

Bill Waters is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.