HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kopitar as Captain??

Old
01-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Like how to avoid taking bad penalties. I'm not saying Kopitar has a big problem with this, but generally rookies do. There are other reasons, but I don't feel like debating this with you since you obviously have your lips glued on Kopitar's ***.
You have no idea what those nuances are do you? Look, it's not necessary to get overly defensive and start getting insulting. I assure you that you don't want to go there and it's much better if you didn't. Let's keep it cool.

He has 16 PIM this season. Those 16 PIM were in 6 games. Not much of a problem.

Now, if you want to explain those nuances, I look forward to hearing them. If you just made that up and have no idea what they are that Kopitar needs to learn, then don't respond to this post. Nobody will think any less of you.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You aren't implying that, 3 years from now, he'll have nothing more to learn, are you? If that were the case, he'd plateau at 22 and never improve beyond that age. Is that really what you're suggesting? No, of course it's not, but people need to realize (before they criticize others) that there's no improvement without learning. Having room for improvement (especially when you're as good as Kopitar is, already) is a good thing, not a bad one.
I did not make a statement. I asked a question. Thus, I wasn't implying anything. I simply want to know what these nuances are and then he got on a personal attack kick, which was not necessary.

I suppose I could bail him out and actually name a few but I want to hear it from him.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:33 PM
kingsfann805

Quote:
Again, play on the ice is NOT the reason why players are named captain.

Sure, the Kings "look to him" to score, because he's their top line scorer. I think you're reading into Blake's quote too much. I highly doubt Blake is talking about Kopitar being his team leader.

For starters, he can't join the team when they go out for a drink. lol
Wow, this thread has gotten a little sideways. Let me clarify my question: Do any Kings fans believe that Kopitar has the tools (POTENTIAL) to one day (1yr-15yrs) be the captain of the Kings?

Quote:
Like what?
Can't remember the game, but Kostop. was boarded. (No call) As soon as the whistle blew Kopitar was the first one to give the other player a (small) cross-check in the back, It's not dropping the gloves, but it's still trying to stick up for a teamate (more then anyone else did). Also, getting the puck for Pushy's first goal. Big things? No, but not things you would expect from a 19 year old as well?

kingsfann805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I suppose I could bail him out and actually name a few but I want to hear it from him.
Why does he have to explain himself if you fully agree that the kid does have "nuances" to learn? Why do you care if he elaborates or not?

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 08:29 PM
kingsfann805

Again, what does learning the "nuances" of the game have to do with being Captain? I'm sure Morrow and Crosby (to name a few) are still learning the "nuances" of the game. (Crosby is assistant, but the Pens don't have a Captain, so for the most part he's a co-captain).

kingsfann805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Shaun_W_W

Usually they dont let really young guys be captain just look at Crosby in a few years if he keeps this up its quite possible

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
dabeechman

lecavalier was a young captain

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Wasn't Lecavalier a captain at a young age (19 or 20)? Steve Yzerman was pretty young too.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the youngest captain in NHL histroy?

...and a child shall lead them.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Tadite

I think in the long-run Kopitar will be a captain. Maybe even a A in a year or two...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I think in the long-run Kopitar will be a captain. Maybe even a A in a year or two...
I see him being an "A" by next year. Mainly because one (or more) of Norstrom-Blake-Conroy .....will probably be gone and Kopitar is as good as any candidate to replace one of them.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:14 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

make the kid captain and while we are at it change the team name to Los Angeles Kopitarian

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I have to really disagree there, Venom. Visnovsky would be an awful choice, IMO. He's the quiet type, even quieter than Norstrom. The captain needs to talk to the refs throughout the game, be available for the media after games and stand up in the dressing room to address the team. From everything that I know of Lubomir, that's the complete opposite.

If Norstrom were to be traded this season or next, I think that the captaincy would, absolutely, have to go to Blake. He's had it before and the team looks to him for leadership.

BTW, along the same lines, and assuming that he signs a multi-year deal this Summer, I think that it might be appropriate for Cammalleri to become an alternate captain next season. He was one for Michigan and has started to take on a more vocal role with the Kings. By next season, he should be at the point where he'll command enough respect to wear the 'A'. It'd also just be nice to start working the team's younger players into leadership roles, rather than relying on the over-35 crowd, as they are now.

You could be right, but Vis reminds me more of a Timonen-type captain. Timonen is doing a good job in Nashville. Hard to say what the guys are like behind closed doors...my reasoning is simply that this is Visnovsky's team right now. Perhaps the C would let him grow into that role.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 05:43 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

No, too young.

Blake would most likely take over for Norstrom should he leave.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote