HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Rangers eye deal" - Brooks

Old
01-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
what we need is someone to set up Prucha...and Shanny...someone not named Cullen....and I like Matt but this aint working as is

01-14-2007, 09:18 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
what we need is someone to set up Prucha...and Shanny...someone not named Cullen....and I like Matt but this aint working as is
Actually, they have that person. His name is Michael Nylander. Unfortunately, he has that responsibility with Jagr.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

yes he does...

I have no problem moving Straka to C that 2nd line, but give it a real chance to gel if you're going to do it

If Prucha gets traded for anyone less than Brad Richards it's going to hurt

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Fletch

Let's entertain Brooks for a second...

perhaps Prucha has very little value as a guy who many may think is one-dimensional and can only play with Jagr. Perhaps Hall has zero value. And perhaps Davidson thinks that near the trade deadline there may be a market for a vet lik Rucinsky, who's versatile and has had value in the past and he can get better then Prucha [and Hall]. Also, perhaps Davidson values a center more than a winger like Prucha.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Pens wouldn't do that.

I'm not sure what the Rangers offer for Malone and Orpik, but Rachunek and Hall don't cut it.

We might as well keep our trash...
While Hall isn't that great, Rachunek is far from trash and is much better than Orpik (who I am not a fan of).

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Fletch

I loved Oprik..

in his draft and fell out of love watching him play the last couple years.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:33 AM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

my letter to Larry.

"A third-party personnel source revealed the Rangers were willing to send Prucha and Adam Hall to the Blues in exchange for Rucinsky, but were rebuffed. When St. Louis president John Davidson in turn requested highly-regarded 20-year-old center Brandon Dubinsky as the bounty for Rucinsky, the conversation came to a halt."

Do you ever stop and realize how idiotic that sounds. Even if you hear it from a third party, don't you sit there and think: "Thats terribly idiotic, impossible deal that would be offered, and if I write it without a nary of spin, wisdom or debunking..i may seem like an idiot."

Idiot.You constantly shoot yourself in the foot of being a shred of a journalist by taking these fringe off-the-cuff idiocies and plying them to that ****stain rag of a newspaper.

Gooch

B.D. Gallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
perhaps Prucha has very little value as a guy who many may think is one-dimensional and can only play with Jagr. Perhaps Hall has zero value. And perhaps Davidson thinks that near the trade deadline there may be a market for a vet lik Rucinsky, who's versatile and has had value in the past and he can get better then Prucha [and Hall]. Also, perhaps Davidson values a center more than a winger like Prucha.
You're right on here...JD is no dummy....he can get something good for Martin at the deadline from a playoff bound team or two

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Prucha and Hall for Rucinsky? Yea, that would be horrible. I doubt Sather even offered that. Like someone said he is the one that usually low balls GMs, not the other way around.

Dubinsky for Rucinsky? That's just as bad.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 09:56 AM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
Prucha is a good young player (WOW we actually have one) who will be traded for an over the hill veteran.
But it's the Ranger way!

schoenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
While Hall isn't that great, Rachunek is far from trash and is much better than Orpik (who I am not a fan of).
I know they're not trash, all 4 are good players.

The way I see it, Orpik and Rachunek are rather equal. I think Orpik's qualities fit better for the Penguins, but a change of scenery would do him good I think. Rachunek's qualities are not very needed for the Penguins.
As for Malone, he has more potential than Hall but is underachieving.

Pens need a stay at home bruising defenseman (who shoots right) and scoring wingers. Hall and Rachunek don't fit the bill for either spot.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 10:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
as if you all didn't know larry brooks is a moron.... it's a wonder he's still employed.
He wrote it. We read it. We're talking about it. Sounds to me like he's done his job.

01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
as if you all didn't know larry brooks is a moron.... it's a wonder he's still employed.
he is employed because he sells papers...right, wrong or idiotic, the one consistant about brooks is that when he writes something EVERYONE talks about it. he writes something like this and every message board on the net has comments on it, and even if those comments are simply 'brooks is a moron' it still draws interest to the article and the ny post...so as a hockey fan looking for legit news it might not be the greatest. but as a newspaper looking to sell as many papers as possible its gold

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 11:28 AM
broadwayblue

these rumours just can't be true. they just can't. i will keep telling myself that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I know they're not trash, all 4 are good players.

The way I see it, Orpik and Rachunek are rather equal. I think Orpik's qualities fit better for the Penguins, but a change of scenery would do him good I think. Rachunek's qualities are not very needed for the Penguins.
As for Malone, he has more potential than Hall but is underachieving.

Pens need a stay at home bruising defenseman (who shoots right) and scoring wingers. Hall and Rachunek don't fit the bill for either spot.
I can see Orpik and Rachunek being equal and let's say they are for the sake of saying it.

How much is Malone making? Isn't he making like 1.5M or something for this year and next? I think Hall is making 1M. Malone has 10 points to Hall's 11 (though Hall played 20 games more than Malone). I think that they aren't THAT far in value due to Malone's salary and such. Enough to warrant the Rangers adding something like a 2nd round pick to even it out or a middle of the road prospect, IMO.

I'm a bit harsh on Orpik because I think he gets beat a lot, but that could just be because he plays on Pittsburgh and, like you say, needs a change of scenery.

Old
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it best when Brooks writes something like this, to consider it a trade proposal and react to it simply as that.

If it actually comes to pass (like York for Poti), that's the proper time to go ballistic about Sather if that's your wont.

My question:

How does the addition of Rucinsky and the subtraction of Prucha and Hall, solve our
2nd line center problem?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Evilo

Given Malone's chronic underachieving, Hall is definately NOT that far from him.

But he's really not what the Pens need. We have enough "Halls" on the team. We need real scoring wingers.

In fact when you look at our needs, it's basically Orpik and Malone playing to their max potential.

Old
01-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Orpik is what this team needs, but who are you going to give up for him? Prucha? puhlease, we have no young offensive depth, most of our youth figure to be 3rd or 4th liners.

People love to whine about Prucha, but look at it this way. The kid has what...about the same, or more goals than Cullen right? And he plays what....4-5 minutes per game LESS than Cullen right? And hes probably played about 30-40% fewer "quality minutes" with guys like Shanahan or Jagr or what have you since Prucha keeps getting relegated to the 4th line.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Given Malone's chronic underachieving, Hall is definately NOT that far from him.

But he's really not what the Pens need. We have enough "Halls" on the team. We need real scoring wingers.

In fact when you look at our needs, it's basically Orpik and Malone playing to their max potential.
I just don't think you're going to get a scoring winger for Hall. I mean, we could probably send you Hossa and if you paired him with Crosby he could probably light it up. But that's the extent of scoring wingers you're likely to get for a guy like Malone, unfortunately.

That's why I figured a pick could be thrown in to even it out because you could at least send off a pick for a lower level scoring guy as a stop gap or we could make Hall turn into Hossa (who actually is a fairly good player, IMO).

Old
01-14-2007, 12:04 PM
dank

i don't get how people are even entertaining this thought. we could have had Rucinsky for nothing in the off-season, and now we are basically tossing them Prucha for free.

no way!

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If the Rangers can't trade Prucha for Rucinsky (and lets PRETEND that Brooks is right) it's the Rangers not Prucha that killed his trade value...

anyway...

It's hard to kill Sather for a rumor because perhaps the organizations history screams of bad trades like this (and it does) Sathers regime doesn't for the most part....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFan35 View Post
I don't want Ruchinsky back.
Me either, I think this whole theory as to how Jagr misses his old buddy is totally nonesense personally.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:23 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Prucha and Hall for Rucinsky? Yea, that would be horrible. I doubt Sather even offered that. Like someone said he is the one that usually low balls GMs, not the other way around.

Dubinsky for Rucinsky? That's just as bad.
No, that's worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I think it best when Brooks writes something like this, to consider it a trade proposal and react to it simply as that.

If it actually comes to pass (like York for Poti), that's the proper time to go ballistic about Sather if that's your wont.

My question:

How does the addition of Rucinsky and the subtraction of Prucha and Hall, solve our
2nd line center problem?
Answer: It doesn't.

As for Brooks, I like him. If you actually read his other articles that aren't pertaining to trade rumors or the like, he writes some good stuff. When it comes to the trade rumors, sometimes he just gets a little off the wall with some of these things. I don't know if he's making it up, or if he's getting it from someone else, and I hope for his sake that he's getting it from someone else. I guess no one remembers that he was the one who originally said that we were looking at Brendan Shanahan over the summer and thought that we were going to sign him. This guy has his ups and downs, but he's not nearly as bad as Good Ol' Brucey (Garrioch) in Ottawa or Al Strachan in Toronto. In 2004, Bruce suggested that the Capitals were going to trade Olaf Kolzig for Matt Barnaby, straight up, and Al Strachan is the guy that said that Tie Domi, Darcy Tucker, Wade Belak, and a 1st rounder could net Peter Forsberg/Paul Kariya/Todd Bertuzzi. Nevermind Garrioch's constant calling for Radek Bonk's head for years and years until he finally got his wish a few years ago. Radek Bonk was rumored to every NHL city twice and then some.

Point is, Brooks may be a little crazy when it comes to this stuff, yes. But considering that...

A. It's the Rangers we're talking about, one cup in 66 years thanks due in part to the worst front office management in sports history.

B. He's not the worst out there with trade rumors.

C. He actually has his strong points.

I think we can cut the guy some slack, especially being that there are a lot of people here who are on both sides of the fence when it comes to Larry.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I just don't think you're going to get a scoring winger for Hall. I mean, we could probably send you Hossa and if you paired him with Crosby he could probably light it up. But that's the extent of scoring wingers you're likely to get for a guy like Malone, unfortunately.

That's why I figured a pick could be thrown in to even it out because you could at least send off a pick for a lower level scoring guy as a stop gap or we could make Hall turn into Hossa (who actually is a fairly good player, IMO).
The Malone for Kobasew rumor makes much more sense for the Pens.

Old
01-14-2007, 12:39 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
My question:

2nd line center problem?
It doesn't, which is why I don't understand all these rumors about the Rangers acquiring wingers like Tkachuk, Guerin, Rucinsky and Malone. The team needs a second line center and better defensemen. Rucinsky isn't going to help distribute the puck better to Shanahan and Prucha. Neither is Malone.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote