HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2013, 12:03 AM
ganave

vCash: 500
Goaltended well enough for my team to win the championship game in a D/C 4x4 league. EXACTLY 21 months ago I took my first learn to skate class.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...831857&page=43

Thank you to all of your stories and support who told me 29 wasn't too old to play. I've been playing 3 to 4 hours a week and I'm not still even close to great, but it feels great that my team trusts me to do my part

Baseball is my religion, but hockey is the greatest sport.

Last edited by ganave: 12-18-2013 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old
12-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Last night we got our first win of the season. Only 5 games in, but still, it was a nice feeling. Won 5 - 1, and I had the GWG.

...of course my buddy got 4 goals and assisted on my goal. Haha.

Old
12-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Onetimersniper28

Yesterday, had a practice scheduled with my team, but no one showed up. I ended up having the entire rink for myself (made me feel like a pro), and the rink manager came to play with me. We were on the same team last year but he's 1 year older than me and not in the same age group.
Practiced passing and shooting together, but I broke my 60 $ APX blade :s

Old
12-22-2013, 11:16 AM
GrandLarseny
Off to the KHL

vCash: 50
Had my first career hat-trick and a 4 point game last night. My team's record is now 6-1. Looking pretty good.

Old
12-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Played against a team that had their Christmas jerseys featured on TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/videohub/?collection=72&show=264369 "Bristol Pitbulls"

And during the game I witnessed possibly the most hilarious officiating blunder ever.

We were losing in the last minute so I went off for an extra attacker and we were on the powerplay at the time. Other team clears the puck and it's going towards the empty net but goes wide, it hit the boards and bounced back in front of the net for the opposition player who won the footrace and was going to score the easiest goal of his life, but the linesman forgot they were shorthanded and blew the whistle for icing what made it better was he had been ridiculously anal and acting like it was the NHL for faceoffs all game, then when it came time to make an important call he
couldn't(mod edit).

Luckily for him we still lost and the other team didn't go too mental. But my coach said if he had been robbed of a goal like that it would've been a stick smash on the crossbar

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 12-22-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: language
Old
12-22-2013, 12:47 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 112
We spent half of practice practicing the flying V, and then vowed to use it in our next game

Old
12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
fish7

vCash: 999
this morning i scored 2 goals and had an assist in our 5-3 win. My team is the oldest team in our league and are now 6-2 this session, mostly because of our new goalie who stands on his head every game.

I was not sure if i was going to play today because i hurt my back reaching for a puck last week but we were going to be shorthanded because of the time of year and it being a morning game so i gave it a try.

I am sure i am the only guy in my league who still uses suspenders and i recently dusted off my gold 1991 Louisville aluminum shaft and have scored 5 goals in 4 games with it

Old
12-22-2013, 09:47 PM
JZCislesHockey

Today I.........

got a concussion. Took a big (clean) hit along the boards, fell hard on m head and left the game. Minor concussion, but it is my second in a few months (got one in the summer). Sucks, I was playing well too (skating well, had an assist).

Old
12-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Today I'm trying to get ready to skate tomorrow in full equipment for the first time since I injured my knee 13 weeks ago. My physiotherapist said I just need to stretch a lot but I feel really weak.

Old
12-23-2013, 12:48 AM
connor macdavid
In the press box

vCash: 986
Might have played my last "great game" in my minor hockey career.

Made 33 saves en route to a 3-0 win over the first-place team in our division, despite having four callups in the lineup from lower age groups and/or divisions.

Made a key save with 7 minutes left in the third period, when we were only up a single goal. Their star player came in clear on a breakaway, deked to the backhand, and tried to roof it. I made the big glove save and got an ovation from the 100+ in attendance (bigger crowd than usual, probably due to holidays and family in town)!

Great feeling, great group of people, and I'm glad to be spending my final year of minor hockey with such a fine group of lads!

Old
12-23-2013, 08:00 AM
TLow97

Went 2-for-2 in games over the weekend. Got an assist last night, and beat the team we were tied for 1st with in our division.

Old
12-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
got a concussion. Took a big (clean) hit along the boards, fell hard on m head and left the game. Minor concussion, but it is my second in a few months (got one in the summer). Sucks, I was playing well too (skating well, had an assist).
Hope you're OK!

Old
12-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another game, another goal, another loss. Almost halfway through the season now.

Oh yeah, forgot that I was a complete idiot last night.

I put on white socks while we were wearing dark jerseys, then was the last one out of the room so I shut the door. I skate out to the rink, look down, and go right back to the room to change. But the door locked behind me, so I locked our team out.

So I was the jackass wearing white socks while everyone else was wearing dark. Wow.

Also, last week my white laces got cut so I had to put my old yellow laces in, so I really looked like a tool.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:14 AM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Hope you're OK!
Thanks. Doc says I'll be fine, but I probably won't be able to play or do anything physical for around 3 weeks.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Got my first G-Note of the year last night!!!

It was a 2 on 1... I was on the left hand side, puck carrier was the right... he sucked the defender in, passed over... alone on tender from just above hashmarks in... faked forehand, went backhand and tucked it the corner.

Beauty!!

Also block a shot in 2nd period, barely played after... foot is purple, took a pic of it, was thinking about posting it...lol

Can barely walk today.

Old
12-23-2013, 01:29 PM
MattGTI

At 36 years old, got my first ever point in an official hockey game. It took about 6 games, but I finally factored into the scoring.

Old
12-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Was a -2 with a few blocks in a 6-4 loss last night. We went into the second half of the third up 4-2, but then their line of former club players decided to get serious . My outlets were solid that game.

Old
12-24-2013, 07:13 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
At 36 years old, got my first ever point in an official hockey game. It took about 6 games, but I finally factored into the scoring.
Congrats! Great feeling to get rewarded on the stat sheet once in a while.

Old
12-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Later today, I will be reffing my first high school game. looking forward to it a lot.

Old
12-28-2013, 06:10 PM
SCBruCrew4

Played last night for the first time in about 2 months with the same group of guys I usually play with. Organized pick up game but last night had a great competitive feel to it. Meaning people actually played defense lol.

I walked away with 3 goals 0 assists. Besides my three goals I was robbed of two others. One the puck popped up in front of the net and I took a hack at it (parallel to the crossbar of course) and the puck hit the outside of the post. *damn* and the second was me sitting in front of the net got a nice feed by the guy wrapping around the net but the goalie made a really nice save with his toe. I didn't have enough time or leverage to get the puck off the ice and he just stuck out his leg and well made an unbelievable save.

Well last night felt good but today I'm sore lol. Legs and back are killing me and I'm only 25! Can't wait for my next time out there though.

Old
12-31-2013, 10:41 PM
NwyUv6Dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
Might have played my last "great game" in my minor hockey career.

Made 33 saves en route to a 3-0 win over the first-place team in our division, despite having four callups in the lineup from lower age groups and/or divisions.

Made a key save with 7 minutes left in the third period, when we were only up a single goal. Their star player came in clear on a breakaway, deked to the backhand, and tried to roof it. I made the big glove save and got an ovation from the 100+ in attendance (bigger crowd than usual, probably due to holidays and family in town)!

Great feeling, great group of people, and I'm glad to be spending my final year of minor hockey with such a fine group of lads!

good for you bud. that sounds awesome. i'm a new skater, how long you been playing?

Old
01-01-2014, 02:02 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

I got my new skates baked and sharpened, I am ready to begin learning how to skate and learning how to play this beautiful game. I am so very excited

Old
01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Today I was able to move my 4-hour workday back to enable a morning pickup. Usually the rink does afternoon ones but hours are different because of the holidays. Some of the same guys were there but some other solid players made it out too. Pace was pretty good until people got tired even with full benches.

I felt relaxed and comfortable and "on". Potted a handful but I was more pleased with plays that were being setup.

Old
01-04-2014, 09:37 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

yesterday had a game, lost 6-0.

Our team is so bad, we have gotten shutout five times in twelve games so far.

Old
01-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Played some outdoor pond pickup hockey last night and it was glorious.

Closed Thread