Notices

Byron Bitz

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Schlep Rock

vCash: 500
Byron Bitz

I saw Bitz and Cornell play Dartmouth this weekend up in Ithaca.

If you want a player from Cornell's bio reading he was drafted by the Boston Bruins, its Mitch Carefoot, not Bitz.

Carefoot is climbing up everyone's draft charts on a daily basis and scored the lone goal (only his 2nd of the season) in the 2-1 loss.

Bitz meanwhile, played on the top line with potential Hobey nominee, Ryan Vesce and super sophomore Matt Moulson (PIT... 9th round) and did NOTHING. To be honest this isn't just a dislike for the pick, he played so uninspired.

One play in particular, he was skating through the neutral zone calling for a pass and I believe it was Moulson decided to deliver it... a Dartmouth defender intercepted the pass and Bitz stopped dead in his tracks, threw his hands in the air then proceeded back to the defensive zone but a Big Red player grabbed his jersey while he skated by the bench and he returned to the bench where his coach decided to have a spaz attack on him.

Not to be completely negative of him though, I did see some positives in his game. He was only caught out of position a few times and when he was in the right spot, it was the PERFECT spot, like the kind you try and envision in practice but can never pull off. He seemed to outsmart the defenseman for Dartmouth about where he was going whether it was with or without the puck. Of course one instance he fanned on a potential 1-timer but I have to give him credit, he couldn't have picked his spot any better but at the same time, it WAS a crisp pass right to him and he didn't even seem to care, he just swung and missed and then didn't chase the puck down to the corner.

His skating was above average that's for sure, especially for someone of his size but at times, it looked awkward but to be honest it might have been that as the game went on, he just got lazier and lazier so his strides got awkwarder as time went on. Maybe he was sick? Don't know.

Figured I'd post this regarding Bitz.

But to be honest, Carefoot. All I hear are positives about this kid from Salmon Arm (BCHL). Ranked 115th by CSB in their mid-term rankings, I'm sure this kid is going to rise by the final rankings if he keeps up his development. If the Bruins are keeping tabs on Bitz like they should, they've likely seen Carefoot a couple more times than other clubs might have so maybe they can sneak him under the radar. This kid is a talent and a half.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:18 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Dude, you've done nothing but slam Bitz since the day he was drafted...What's with the hidden agenda? You're already writting him off half way through his freshman season...

Old
01-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Stock Rocks

Interesting report. Remember though- Bitz will be a better pro than Lee Goren...

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 01-26-2004 at 07:45 PM. Reason: personal shot removed
Old
01-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
Dude, you've done nothing but slam Bitz since the day he was drafted...What's with the hidden agenda? You're already writting him off half way through his freshman season...
If you notice, I also had some positives to say about Byron.

I'm not necessarily writing him off, I just don't think he was worthy of all the hype given to him in previous months.

Truthfully, I do think he does have some potential but he's really got to work at it. Like I said, I can tell he's a good skater (he wasn't applying himself the other night, maybe he was sick or something) and his thinking is just great, I don't know how he could get into some of the situations/positions that he did, but somehow... he did.

I'm not writing him off, just not hyping him to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And to respond to Stock Rocks... a lot of people will be better pros than Lee Goren!

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 01-26-2004 at 09:18 PM. Reason: link to deleted thread removed
Old
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Schlep Rock

Stock Rocks... I went to a game... posted my report, plain and simple.

Last edited by HockeyGoddess: 01-26-2004 at 07:36 PM. Reason: quoted off-topic comments removed
Old
01-26-2004, 07:54 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Bans...

who was and why isn't an allowable topic.

PERIOD.

If anybody thinks they have a need to know something they are to PM either HG, me, or Buffaloed.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Closed Thread