HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Garon back to IR

Old
01-13-2007, 09:00 PM
King Blazer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
That's true but there's a very complicated scenerio where the Kings could have him in uniform this season. What it would take is for team A to claim Labarbera on recall waivers and immediately trade him to team B. Then team B trades Labarbera back to the Kings for a conditional draft pick. The Kings would then send a "thank you" 4th rounder to team A for say some low level rights to a European prospect who will not ever see the NHL.

Complicated yes, but in theory if I understand the waiver priority correctly, it could happen. I think the only way it work is if team A were Philadelphia though. Any claim Philadelphia were to put in if team A were another club would mean Labarbera would go to Philadelphia correct? The waiver process mean any double claims go to the team with the worse record correct?
Philly would have to offer LaBarbera to every other team that made a claim on LaBarbera and every one of those teams would have to refuse him before Philly could trade him in the same season they claimed him...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Philly would have to offer LaBarbera to every other team that made a claim on LaBarbera and every one of those teams would have to refuse him before Philly could trade him in the same season they claimed him...
Oh I didn't realize that was another caveat in the process. So this unlikely scenario got even more complicated. Out of curiosity, since the Kings are worried they'd lose Labarbera to recall waivers, who would be interested in him? I'm guessing the teams lower than the Kings in the standings, would anyone else be interested?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:28 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Oh I didn't realize that was another caveat in the process. So this unlikely scenario got even more complicated. Out of curiosity, since the Kings are worried they'd lose Labarbera to recall waivers, who would be interested in him? I'm guessing the teams lower than the Kings in the standings, would anyone else be interested?
Philly just claimed Leighton. The Ducks would probably be interested as well. The Bruins might take a shot at him. The guy is going to be a RFA at the end of the season and would cost a team under $200k for the rest of the season.

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I'll bet there are alot of teams that would be interested in Labarbera. The problem with that is.....Why would the Kings get rid of one of the only "decent" goalies they have in the system? Also trading him before the end of the season would decimate Manchester.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 09:55 PM
bcking

Jason Bacashihua of the Blues was mentioned as someone the kings might pick up on Satellite Hot Stove on CBC

bcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:04 PM
johnjm22

Sign Felix Potvin.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Sign Felix Potvin.
Might as well just slap some pads on KF25 and throw him in net. You'd get the same result, hell you might even get better results.

Cash is a good option if he came cheap. Lalime is done like X-mas dinner.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:52 PM
johnjm22

Sometimes late and mid round picks can turn into jems. That's why I would hate to give one up just for a short term solution.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Shootmaster_44

The thing I'm curious about is when did the NHL reduce the number of goalies a team could carry? I remember in the early 90's most teams carried 3 goalies and one would sit in the press box as a healthy scratch. Seems to me that was Rick Knickle's role the year he saw some action with the Kings. I realize it does a major disservice to the 3rd goalie that essentially becomes a practice goalie, but does allieviate the problem the Kings have right now. If they could carry 3 goalies I doubt Labarbera would've been sent to Manchester in the first place.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:04 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi View Post
The #1 pick is ours!
amen

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcking View Post
Jason Bacashihua of the Blues was mentioned as someone the kings might pick up on Satellite Hot Stove on CBC
If the Kings were going to try and get anyone from St. Louis I like Marek Schwartz. He's put up good numbers in the AHL this season. The one problem with the Kings picking up a goalie, is that there will be a problem once Cloutier is back. The Kings will have one too many goalies, so if they are going to pick up a temporary replacement goalie, I say find one that comes cheaply and is on a two-way contract. That way the Kings aren't stuck with 3 goalies that can't be permanently sent to Manchester and 1 goalie who can't be brought back to LA.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing Jason Bacashihua (who would fit in with the Kings have difficult to spell goalies in their system with Fukufuji and Labarbera) is signed to a one-way contract meaning he can't go to the AHL without clearing waivers first.

The question if the Kings trade for a player in Labarbera's situation can they bring him up without the recall waivers being in effect? If that's true the Kings should perhaps swing a deal with the Canucks to bring in Wade Flaherty. He stuck in Manitoba in the AHL, but is a decent goalie and would be a good backup for Garon once he is healthy. The Kings would first have to make sure that Cloutier (or Garon) is out for the rest of the season. Otherwise the problem I mention above would be the problem.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
The thing I'm curious about is when did the NHL reduce the number of goalies a team could carry? I remember in the early 90's most teams carried 3 goalies and one would sit in the press box as a healthy scratch. Seems to me that was Rick Knickle's role the year he saw some action with the Kings. I realize it does a major disservice to the 3rd goalie that essentially becomes a practice goalie, but does allieviate the problem the Kings have right now. If they could carry 3 goalies I doubt Labarbera would've been sent to Manchester in the first place.
Teams still can carry 3 goalies .....if they want. The teams are only "required" to have 18 skaters and 2 goalies. They are allowed up to 3 "reserve" players. Those 3 reserve players could be any combination of forwards-defensemen-goalies. Most teams just really see it as superfluous to have 3 netminders on the "active" roster. Especially in a capped system.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Teams still can carry 3 goalies .....if they want. The teams are only "required" to have 18 skaters and 2 goalies. They are allowed up to 3 "reserve" players. Those 3 reserve players could be any combination of forwards-defensemen-goalies. Most teams just really see it as superfluous to have 3 netminders on the "active" roster. Especially in a capped system.
I wonder with hindsight being 20/20 whether DL still thinks it superfluous to not have kept Jason Labarbera as the 3rd reserve player and have sent Raitis Ivanans or one of the other interchangable 18th men to Manchester?

Old
01-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I wonder with hindsight being 20/20 whether DL still thinks it superfluous to not have kept Jason Labarbera as the 3rd reserve player and have sent Raitis Ivanans or one of the other interchangable 18th men to Manchester?
Well since Cloutier came in as a question mark (health issues and lack of playing time over the past 2 years).....Keeping Jason on the active roster should have been "seriously" considered. Oh well....not much we can do now but complain about it.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:21 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Might as well just slap some pads on KF25 and throw him in net. You'd get the same result, hell you might even get better results.

Cash is a good option if he came cheap. Lalime is done like X-mas dinner.
I currently have the lowest GAA in the league.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
I currently have the lowest GAA in the league.
As do I.

Old
01-13-2007, 11:23 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Sign Felix Potvin.
The situation has shaped up to be similar to that in which Potvin initially came to the Kings...two injured goalie-Kings searching for a cheap band-aid option between the pipes.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Times
Coach Marc Crawford said Garon was week to week. His finger will be reexamined Friday.

"They are saying he doesn't need an operation," Crawford said. "If they had to go in and surgically repair it, then he would be out a while. The good news is this will allow him to heal. It's not great news, but at least it's not horrendous."