HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I dont see it, the top 3 are all going to be players. For me thats Reinhart, Ekblad, and Bennett. I was on board with trading the pick, but after watching both Reinhart and Bennett I'd wait until the draft and take one of them and trade RNH or take Ekblad. I'll bring up a deal I've thrown around a few times with RNH going to St. Louis for Berglund + Shattenkirk+Jaskin. Then trade Gagner+Klefbom to Chicago for Hjalmarsson. Then Yakupov+Petry to Philly for Couturier+Simmonds. Sign M. Greene and Hillier. Gives us a lineup like this:

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Bennett-Berglund-Simmonds
Perron-Gordon- Jaskin
Gazdic-Arcobello-Pitlick
Joensuu

Hjalmarsson-Shattenkirk
Ference-Schultz
Marincin-Greene
Belov

Hillier
Bachman

Once Bennett gets older and more mature he takes over the top line center role and bumps everyone down a spot.
I think it would suck to watch RNH go win a Cup (or two) in St. Louis and become a 85+ point no.1 C there. Couturier + Berglund is overkill.

Old
12-23-2013, 01:43 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think it would suck to watch RNH go win a Cup (or two) in St. Louis and become a 85+ point no.1 C there. Couturier + Berglund is overkill.
I' dont mind if he goes on to win a few cups as long as we do to. I think it would be a good hockey trade as long as were getting one of Bennett or Reinhart. I think both have more gamebreaking potential then RNH but RNH will put up more points if that makes since.

Old
12-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I' dont mind if he goes on to win a few cups as long as we do to. I think it would be a good hockey trade as long as were getting one of Bennett or Reinhart. I think both have more gamebreaking potential then RNH but RNH will put up more points if that makes since.
That team you listed would make the playoffs ... but Stanley Cup ... nope. Couturier is a nice player but his offensive roof seems pretty limited, Berglund as well.

They'd be a glorified version of the 06 Oilers without Pronger.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:00 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
That team you listed would make the playoffs ... but Stanley Cup ... nope. Couturier is a nice player but his offensive roof seems pretty limited, Berglund as well.

They'd be a glorified version of the 06 Oilers without Pronger.
Bennett would be our #1 center within 3 years and be developed properly, also I think your underrating Couturiers offence. I see him putting up 60 points playing between Hall and Eberle, all while covering for both of them defensively. So in a few years we'd be ready to compete/win a cup but at least in the meantime were not ending up in last every season and can develop our prospects correctly. Imagine in 3 years the roster could potentially look something like this:

Hall-Bennett-Eberle
Perron-Couturier-Jaskin
Berglund-Gordon-Simmonds
Gazdic-Lander-Pitlick

Hjalmarsson-Shattenkirk
Marincin/Nurse-Schultz
Ference-Greene

Hillier
Bachman

Most likely the roster would be a little different, but if Bennett can put up 70+ points and lead the team with Hall, Eberle, Couturier, Shattenkirk, Hjalmarsson, Schultz being in their primes I think we at least look like contenders.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Bennett would be our #1 center within 3 years and be developed properly, also I think your underrating Couturiers offence. I see him putting up 60 points playing between Hall and Eberle, all while covering for both of them defensively. So in a few years we'd be ready to compete/win a cup but at least in the meantime were not ending up in last every season and can develop our prospects correctly. Imagine in 3 years the roster could potentially look something like this:

Hall-Bennett-Eberle
Perron-Couturier-Jaskin
Berglund-Gordon-Simmonds
Gazdic-Lander-Pitlick

Hjalmarsson-Shattenkirk
Marincin/Nurse-Schultz
Ference-Greene

Hillier
Bachman

Most likely the roster would be a little different, but if Bennett can put up 70+ points and lead the team with Hall, Eberle, Couturier, Shattenkirk, Hjalmarsson, Schultz being in their primes I think we at least look like contenders.
I think it's kind of overreaction though, because right now we lack defensive forwards, so some people go really far with getting that type of player, but with that roster, the complaints then would then become "we don't have an elite offensive center".

If you can get a Sean Couturier alone that solves most of the problems the Oilers have upfront honestly. Add in a role player like Clutterbuck from NYI or something and that significantly changes the forward mix.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:19 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
I think it's kind of overreaction though, because right now we lack defensive forwards, so some people go really far with getting that type of player, but with that roster, the complaints then would then become "we don't have an elite offensive center".

If you can get a Sean Couturier alone that solves most of the problems the Oilers have upfront honestly. Add in a role player like Clutterbuck from NYI or something and that significantly changes the forward mix.
Oilers have a lot of problems up front. Need balance throughout the line up. 2 of Eberle, Yakupov, and Hemsky need to go. We need a center to shelter RNH or trade him. We need wingers that can win board battles. On top of that how else would we get a top pairing dman and change the culture without moving Hall or Eberle+ the 1st? If we want to keep RNH then one of those other players/packages will need to be moved.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Oilers have a lot of problems up front. Need balance throughout the line up. 2 of Eberle, Yakupov, and Hemsky need to go. We need a center to shelter RNH or trade him. We need wingers that can win board battles. On top of that how else would we get a top pairing dman and change the culture without moving Hall or Eberle+ the 1st? If we want to keep RNH then one of those other players/packages will need to be moved.
Nugent Hopkins and Hall are the franchise IMO. I think you probably keep Eberle too, I don't think you gut your entire RW.

They are already half way to Ekblad. Yakupov is probably the one who's dealt. Gagner is a goner too.

Hemsky is gone anyway (good for him, he deserves to go somewhere better after years here).

Old
12-23-2013, 02:47 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Nugent Hopkins and Hall are the franchise IMO. I think you probably keep Eberle too, I don't think you gut your entire RW.

They are already half way to Ekblad. Yakupov is probably the one who's dealt. Gagner is a goner too.

Hemsky is gone anyway (good for him, he deserves to go somewhere better after years here).
If Ekblad is as NHL ready as he is projected out the gate, do you bring Nurse in with him and have a permanent pairing of Nurse - Ekblad starting at the bottom?

Then maybe throw a ton of money at a Phaneuf, 9.5m or so, in hopes he signs.

Or is that too fast for them to come.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:52 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

Well I'm alright keeping RNH if we get Ekblad. If he goes 1st and we get either of Reinhart or Bennett I'd put RNH on the table for the right deal. We need a few big deals to shake up the culture of the team. To me that means we're dealing one of the big 3 plus Yakupov and Gagner.

Old
12-23-2013, 02:54 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
If Ekblad is as NHL ready as he is projected out the gate, do you bring Nurse in with him and have a permanent pairing of Nurse - Ekblad starting at the bottom?

To fast we need more players over 25 not under.

Old
12-23-2013, 03:02 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
If the Oilers are in a position to take Sam Reinhart, I think they would make a play for Griffin Reinhart too with Yakupov as the core piece going to the Islanders. Probably Gagner too and one other piece coming back here.

Yakupov can be Tavares' winger and Gagner is his best buddy, probably could soothe a lot of the sting of a disappointing step back season in Long Island/Brooklyn.

Yakupov
Gagner
Klefbom

for

Reinhart
Strome
Clutterbuck

?
^you might be able to coax Griffin out of Long Island. they just took Ryan Pulock, so as long as they got a blue chipper back, if you add a high 1st rounder for Griffin and ?, you might be able to get him? the Isles will finish in the top 10 for picks this year, so they will keep it and not give it to the Sabres for the Vanek trade, so getting another top 10 pick along with Klef might appeal to them?

Old
12-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Digger12

Quote:
They are already half way to Ekblad.
It's more like they're halfway to a 25% chance at getting Ekblad.

Old
12-23-2013, 03:28 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post

if we somehow end up with ekblad, you leave him in the OHL for another year at least, 2 if you are smart.... nurse you give one more year in the OHL and then at least 1 year in the AHL

dmen take *forever* to become difference makers in the NHL... lots jump to the NHL as 18-20 year olds, but pretty much none of them make an impact at that age

Old
12-23-2013, 03:30 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Well I'm alright keeping RNH if we get Ekblad. If he goes 1st and we get either of Reinhart or Bennett I'd put RNH on the table for the right deal. We need a few big deals to shake up the culture of the team. To me that means we're dealing one of the big 3 plus Yakupov and Gagner.
what? so you are willing to be in rebuild mode for another 3 years as reinhart/bennett mature to the same point that RNH is at right now? your answer is *more* young players? really?

Old
12-23-2013, 03:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
if we somehow end up with ekblad, you leave him in the OHL for another year at least, 2 if you are smart.... nurse you give one more year in the OHL and then at least 1 year in the AHL

dmen take *forever* to become difference makers in the NHL... lots jump to the NHL as 18-20 year olds, but pretty much none of them make an impact at that age
No you don't. You play them when they're ready. If Ekblad is ready next year, you don't waste everyone's time by having him in jr 2 more years

12-23-2013, 03:41 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No you don't. You play them when they're ready. If Ekblad is ready next year, you don't waste everyone's time by having him in jr 2 more years
exactly my point, you play them when they are ready, and dmen are almost NEVER ready as 18 or 19 year olds

Old
12-23-2013, 03:43 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
what? so you are willing to be in rebuild mode for another 3 years as reinhart/bennett mature to the same point that RNH is at right now? your answer is *more* young players? really?
Apparently you missed for the right deal. If we move RNH for a top pairing dman and a character center between 25-30 then it improves the team right now and allows us to compete until Reinhart or Bennett an take over that top line spot. Ditto if we trade RNH for Weber.

Old
12-23-2013, 03:44 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
exactly my point, you play them when they are ready, and dmen are almost NEVER ready as 18 or 19 year olds
But some are, and Ekblad is likely one of them. I just hate when people talk like all players have to follow one set path. Everyone's different. If we take Ekblad, and he comes in dominating, you keep him. If he's struggling to keep up with the pace, let him go back down. Doesn't matter if they're 18, 19, or even 25. If they're ready, they're ready

Old
12-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Sometimes I look back and wonder what could have been, and then I wonder how this team of castaways would be doing with Tambo and Krueger, VS our current line-up with Mac-T and Eakins. Probably better.

Paajarvi Smithson Reddox
Hartikainen Vanvedelve Rajala
Omark Belanger Petrell
Hordichuk Horcoff Brown

Smid Whitney
Fistric Plante
Tuebert Peckham

Danis
Labarbera

Old
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
Sometimes I look back and wonder what could have been, and then I wonder how this team of castaways would be doing with Tambo and Krueger, VS our current line-up with Mac-T and Eakins. Probably better.

Paajarvi Smithson Reddox
Hartikainen Vanvedelve Rajala
Omark Belanger Petrell
Hordichuk Horcoff Brown

Smid Whitney
Fistric Plante
Tuebert Peckham

Danis
Labarbera
That lineup is vomit inducing. Thank god they're gone

Old
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
But some are, and Ekblad is likely one of them. I just hate when people talk like all players have to follow one set path. Everyone's different. If we take Ekblad, and he comes in dominating, you keep him. If he's struggling to keep up with the pace, let him go back down. Doesn't matter if they're 18, 19, or even 25. If they're ready, they're ready
i agree with you, everybody is different... ekblad might be the one-in-twenty high level dman draft pick (think doughty) who is able to jump right in a be a difference maker.... i don't think the odds are likely that this is the case however, and history will back me up on that belief

Old
12-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegger View Post
Hey guys how about one of our top 4 d and pavelec for some of your struggling talent?
For Gagner? Sure!

12-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I dont see it, the top 3 are all going to be players. For me thats Reinhart, Ekblad, and Bennett. I was on board with trading the pick, but after watching both Reinhart and Bennett I'd wait until the draft and take one of them and trade RNH or take Ekblad. I'll bring up a deal I've thrown around a few times with RNH going to St. Louis for Berglund + Shattenkirk+Jaskin. Then trade Gagner+Klefbom to Chicago for Hjalmarsson. Then Yakupov+Petry to Philly for Couturier+Simmonds. Sign M. Greene and Hillier. Gives us a lineup like this:

Hall-Couturier-Eberle
Bennett-Berglund-Simmonds
Perron-Gordon- Jaskin
Gazdic-Arcobello-Pitlick
Joensuu

Hjalmarsson-Shattenkirk
Ference-Schultz
Marincin-Greene
Belov

Hillier
Bachman

Once Bennett gets older and more mature he takes over the top line center role and bumps everyone down a spot.
Better yet, keep RNH and draft Reinhart and have them as our 1-2 punch for the next 10+ years.

Old
12-23-2013, 10:23 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Better yet, keep RNH and draft Reinhart and have them as our 1-2 punch for the next 10+ years.
And still have a crappy unbalanced team for the foreseeable future... The way I look at it is if your happy where this team is in the standings then you dont trade Hall, RNH, Eberle, 1st. If your not happy where we are, then you realize that we need to trade one of those pieces for a major upgrade on d and a 2nd/3rd line 2 way winger/center and both those players need to be under 30.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:07 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
It's more like they're halfway to a 25% chance at getting Ekblad.
The Oilers just have to finish at least 2nd overall and hope no other team but Buffalo picks higher than this team.

We desperately need Ekblad.

Closed Thread