HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 37: Preds vs Bruins | 7:00 PM CST | Fox Sports TN | Christmas Edition!!

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2013, 11:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
No hes still just a semi polished turd
And you're still 100% wrong about him, just like Weber's injury after taking a puck to the face.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:12 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Hornqvist plays a scrappy game every night ... shows effort every shift ... but almost no results at ES in forever. We need our allegedly best players to be our best darn players every game. That simply is not the case right now.

I'm not seeing the effort of years gone by. We used to have teams that fought for 60 minutes even when outskilled ... this squad isn't showing that level of heart. This team has the individual talent to put up 4-6 players at or above the 20 goal plateau but it isn't performing well enough as a unit for the parts to reach those levels. We disappear for periods at a time.
We have no one willing and/or able to take the team on their shoulders with talent alone. Heart and soul are great but you need to finish the play as well, whether it's scoring, finishing a check, blocking a shot, making a save, etc. No one is stepping up. It's disheartening to watch as teams in years past always had that fight in them as you described. We have no edge to our game. We have "skill" forwards that either aren't good enough or are too soft. We have grinders that just don't grind enough. We have defensemen that are generally pretty good but have a momentary lapse of judgement and the puck is in the back of the net. We have goalies that just don't make the simple save, nor the game changer.

We have a ton of issues and I'm not sure what the fix is but something has to give at some point. It will either be a trade or someone on the staff being let go. I can't imagine this goes on much longer. Then again, I've said that same thing many a time to be fooled in to thinking it could happen and I wake up the next day and the situation hasn't changed one iota.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:15 PM
PredsFanFromla

Watching the preds play reminds me of the district five hockey team from the first mighty ducks movie

Old
12-23-2013, 11:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We have no one willing and/or able to take the team on their shoulders with talent alone. Heart and soul are great but you need to finish the play as well, whether it's scoring, finishing a check, blocking a shot, making a save, etc. No one is stepping up. It's disheartening to watch as teams in years past always had that fight in them as you described. We have no edge to our game. We have "skill" forwards that either aren't good enough or are too soft. We have grinders that just don't grind enough. We have defensemen that are generally pretty good but have a momentary lapse of judgement and the puck is in the back of the net. We have goalies that just don't make the simple save, nor the game changer.

We have a ton of issues and I'm not sure what the fix is but something has to give at some point. It will either be a trade or someone on the staff being let go. I can't imagine this goes on much longer. Then again, I've said that same thing many a time to be fooled in to thinking it could happen and I wake up the next day and the situation hasn't changed one iota.
If I were running things for a day, next game Weber comes in and finds the C missing from his sweater ... just a blank spot with threads still showing were it was ripped off ... nothing said to him before hand. Put it on Hornqvist. Take the A off Fisher as well ... put the A's on whomever is busting their butt every game. Klein, Nystrom, Gaustad, Smith ... not the current crew. Send a message that leadership positions are earned through hard work and sacrifice, not the dollar value of one's contract.

We've had much less talented teams that won more often. Those teams worked while this team doesn't. If a shakeup of the player leadership doesn't work and the room is lost, change coaches. If the combination of those doesn't work, move higher up the chain and let Poile slide to a completely VP/alt governor role and have Fenton take over as GM.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:19 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
According to some here he is lower than dirt and will never be even an average NHLer.

But yeah this team has mediocre everything. Goaltending,Defense,Offense… all mediocre. No passion, lack of discipline etc. the list goes on. I've defended the Preds brass for a long time but the buck stops at the top. It's time for a change.
Nothing is going to change there. I wrote an email to the top two and got a response that he has complete faith in the guys running things on the hockey side of things, the same guys I criticized. So if you or anyone else is thinking something is going to happen, I seriously doubt it.

It infuriates me that people that high up can't see what we as fans see. Maybe there is something we don't see but if the game is about winning and we're not doing it, how long do we keep doing what we're doing?

I brought up issues from not getting assets from players like Hamhuis and Suter to never developing an elite forward in the 15 years the team has existed. Heck, it has never developed a great forward in 15 years. Legwand and Erat are the best we've developed up front. That's sad. I'm also referencing guys we've drafted with that statement.

The email I got back seemed like a form letter as well with some personal touches. I appreciate the response and while I didn't expect any changes or an invite back to the Bridgestone, it just shocked me at what was said. They truly believe they'll compete for a Cup and it will be worth it in the end. Well, I like his optimism but with this group of players and this hockey staff, it isn't going to happen in this NHL. There isn't an NHL team that has won a Cup with this sort of roster. You need great to elite players up front and we have none. Like I told him, I will not spend another dime on this team until something changes. Oh well.

Have a great Christmas holiday everyone.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:23 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
If I were running things for a day, next game Weber comes in and finds the C missing from his sweater ... just a blank spot with threads still showing were it was ripped off ... nothing said to him before hand. Put it on Hornqvist. Take the A off Fisher as well ... put the A's on whomever is busting their butt every game. Klein, Nystrom, Gaustad, Smith ... not the current crew. Send a message that leadership positions are earned through hard work and sacrifice, not the dollar value of one's contract.

We've had much less talented teams that won more often. Those teams worked while this team doesn't. If a shakeup of the player leadership doesn't work and the room is lost, change coaches. If the combination of those doesn't work, move higher up the chain and let Poile slide to a completely VP/alt governor role and have Fenton take over as GM.
Interesting idea. What about turning Weber loose as in, let him play angry. I think this calm subdued version of Shea does not work. Others feed off of him, good and bad. While his game has been good, there is no emotion there. Let him get mad. Let him hit a few guys. Heck, take a few penalties while you're at it. You've got a 6'4" 234 pound beast of a defenseman playing like Greg Johnson out there. I don't get that. Turn him loose. Let him have attitude. Rip nostril hairs out before the game. Put ben gay in his jock. Make fun of his wife. I don't care what it takes to get him riled up and ready to punish the other team. That's what you do. Heck, kick him in the nads if you need to.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Interesting idea. What about turning Weber loose as in, let him play angry. I think this calm subdued version of Shea does not work. Others feed off of him, good and bad. While his game has been good, there is no emotion there. Let him get mad. Let him hit a few guys. Heck, take a few penalties while you're at it. You've got a 6'4" 234 pound beast of a defenseman playing like Greg Johnson out there. I don't get that. Turn him loose. Let him have attitude. Rip nostril hairs out before the game. Put ben gay in his jock. Make fun of his wife. I don't care what it takes to get him riled up and ready to punish the other team. That's what you do. Heck, kick him in the nads if you need to.
Stop insulting Greg Johnson. I can count the shifts that Weber played with an edge over the past two seasons without needing a second hand. Weber's edge is not on the coaches, it's on him. Either he has the material to lead or he doesn't. I wouldn't want him alongside me in a firefight with his demonstrated attitude since getting the new contract.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:39 PM
roseyc

Til this year I thought Poile has done a decent job but his offseason was horrible. The grinders and experiement backup goalie and signing Cullen who age tells you that this team was one player from a division title or a deep run in the playoffs For those who blame the players and your best players have play like your best players every night. The reason they don't is because they have lost faith in the process. The system rewards the grinders and you have to play great defense or play great in goal because the system doesn't teach the offensive skills for players to gain confidence. That is why when the GM and the coach are tied to the hip is a bad thing. FA aren't tied to the small market more than the system they play under. There is no way a team can play great every night sometimes you have to win games when you don't play well and that where offensive skills come in

Old
12-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Jarnberg

Goaltending, leadership, etc excuses all go out the window when your team is as bad offensively as we are. The team lacks top line players and the system generates little offense. Building from the back doesn't matter when you cannot take pressure off your defense. Some of us having been pointing this out for years but were told if we did that we'd end up like Columbus.

But at least we are tough to play against right? Hendricks, Nystrom and Gaustad were supposed to make us better right? Fun part, we have those guys locked up for a while

Maybe some are seeing why Suter, Weber and Erat wanted out

Old
12-23-2013, 11:55 PM
hockey diva

Complete and utter failure.

And the let's go bruins chant at the end was so classy.

Maybe the ownership will wake up when they see renewals drop. Cause if things keep going this way, they are going lose a lot of STH after this season.

Old
12-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Kamikazepants

You know it's bad when a turd is the best player on the ice

Old
12-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Complete and utter failure.

And the let's go bruins chant at the end was so classy.

Maybe the ownership will wake up when they see renewals drop. Cause if things keep going this way, they are going lose a lot of STH after this season.
Lack of renewals is more likely to lead to a slashed payroll than meaningful changes.

Old
12-24-2013, 12:31 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Lack of renewals is more likely to lead to a slashed payroll than meaningful changes.
I still think that's what this is all about is payroll. Poile and Trotz and the ownership don't intend to spend money just enough to make the fanbase think that they are. Weber backed them into a corner They still would have paid Rinne his money but Suter exposed them he never intended to pay Suter and would have traded him if he didn't think that he might be able to win in the playoffs.

Old
12-24-2013, 12:41 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I still think that's what this is all about is payroll. Poile and Trotz and the ownership don't intend to spend money just enough to make the fanbase think that they are. Weber backed them into a corner They still would have paid Rinne his money but Suter exposed them he never intended to pay Suter and would have traded him if he didn't think that he might be able to win in the playoffs.
I'm naive and a sucker, but I'll take Poile and ownership at face value in terms of willingness to spend the $ on the team. I think they would have happily paid Suter, and I believe they would have happily paid Parise as well, as unlikely as that was.

That said, I think that if the fanbase starts to flake and stops selling enough season tickets, they'll easily drop the payroll back to a level that will allow them the chance to be profitable. I don't blame people for not wanting to renew for the product we're seeing right now, but also don't be surprised when we're back to being a "budget team."

Old
12-24-2013, 12:53 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I'm naive and a sucker, but I'll take Poile and ownership at face value in terms of willingness to spend the $ on the team. I think they would have happily paid Suter, and I believe they would have happily paid Parise as well, as unlikely as that was.

That said, I think that if the fanbase starts to flake and stops selling enough season tickets, they'll easily drop the payroll back to a level that will allow them the chance to be profitable. I don't blame people for not wanting to renew for the product we're seeing right now, but also don't be surprised when we're back to being a "budget team."
We've always been a budget team if they let Weber and Suter be traded along with Rinne then the fanbase wouldn't care enough to put 10,000 in the building. Trotz style of coaching applies to coach minor leaguers who through persistant forechecking outwork and tire down the opposition.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:13 AM
twig

I had season tickets last season, not this season but, I'm gettin
Them next season.
If they keep playing like this (I think they will) I will have no trouble
Picking the seats I want.

Old
12-24-2013, 08:28 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Don't know if it's been posted anywhere else.

@DobberHockey

Craig Smith is 2nd on the #Preds in points, 2nd in SOG, 1st in goals... 14th in average ice time/game. Something doesn't add up

Old
12-24-2013, 08:51 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

We're bad offensively is a blanket statement that doesn't hold up. This season, the team is bad 5on5 ... third worst goals for/against ratio 5on5, second worst goals for 5on5, t-24th in goals allowed. Yet this same team that is struggling mightily at ES has the 7th best PP% in the league ... t-9th in PP goals for while 27th in PP chances. Nystrom and Gaustad are one back of the team lead in ES goals behind Smith and Fisher.

The bipolar nature of the team is quite evident here .... good on the PP, invisible offensively at ES especially over the past month. Our best players aren't performing as our best players 5on5 but can suddenly get the job done with the man advantage.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

For a team built on defense and tough grinding, having only 9 teams with more goals against is just poor.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Well, can't say I am surprised really… but… my brother, fiancee, and myself really had a good night last night. It got to be an exciting game entering the first quarter of the third. All I wanted was a semi competitive game with a Bruins victory and I got that. No injuries. Got that too. All in all it was a great night for us. It was nice to be able to cheer for both teams.

Klein played a fantastic game last night. Josi also looked very good as well as Smith. Hornqvist, Fisher, Nystrom, Hendricks, and Goose actually tried. Weber, Stalberg, Wilson, Cullen, Ellis, Jones, and Legwand stuck out like sore thumbs for how poorly they were playing. Will say this about Hornqvist, they guy had guts. He tried to get into a fight with Lucic right in front of us. Luckily Lucic didn't answer the bell cause Hornqvist really would've been in a tough spot.

Boston is just a superior team. They knew if they came in and potted some quick goals that their chances of winning were great. It felt like the Preds played a lot better in the 2nd, but Boston really backed off the pressure as well until the start of the third. Boston has had a habit of this year of going through the motions in some games.

Just thankful no injuries.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:42 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post

@DobberHockey

Craig Smith is 2nd on the #Preds in points, 2nd in SOG, 1st in goals... 14th in average ice time/game. Something doesn't add up
couple of things to consider when using stats to argue a point.

6 of the 1 in front are dmen. they should have more. So he is 7th in forwards. Why?

Other than Wilson and Hornquist, the others log pk time.

I would say we lose a good 8 minutes a game to stupid mindless penalties which would equal roughly 2 minutes of his ice time.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:43 AM
PFL615

So i wonder when Fisher amd Legwand are going to get the mark out on the chalk board to keep the polished turd seat warm.

Pretty sad those clowns can disappear for weeks and still get to play top minutes.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:16 AM
INDhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post

@DobberHockey

Smith is streaky. He's had 4 goals in the last 2 games 3 on the PP. Forget the last 2 games and he is just like all the other forwards.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:23 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
couple of things to consider when using stats to argue a point.

6 of the 1 in front are dmen. they should have more. So he is 7th in forwards. Why?

Other than Wilson and Hornquist, the others log pk time.

I would say we lose a good 8 minutes a game to stupid mindless penalties which would equal roughly 2 minutes of his ice time.
Smith is tied for the team lead in ES goals but 8th in ES TOI among Preds forwards. He leads our forwards in PP goals while 4th in PP TOI.

Old
12-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
We're bad offensively is a blanket statement that doesn't hold up.
29th in GF in the league. Almost as bad as you can get.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...lsFor&type=LEA

Closed Thread