HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I heard that, too. Something along the lines that it was dangerous because it was low and targeted the knee. He definitely advocated getting hip checks out of the NHL.

yeah I heard it the first period intermission. it was a legal check. it wasnt a clip or anything dirty. sure hip checks target the lower body. but its hockey man.

Old
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Toronto is in a Islanders-like tail spin. They have some ridiculously bad numbers. Even when they were winning the stats said they were bad and relying on hot goaltending. Now that's showing itself, but they have some insanely bad numbers I've only seen teams like the Islanders put up so far.
They got dominated once again tonight.

The ref not understanding what "freezing the puck" means was the only reason they got a point.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I do not understand how our scouting department found 20 players in this year's draft that they think are / will be better than Val Nichushkin.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:49 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I do not understand how our scouting department found 20 players in this year's draft that they think are / will be better than Val Nichushkin.
Dallas is gonna be a scary team in a couple of years.

Old
12-23-2013, 11:56 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Dallas is gonna be a scary team in a couple of years.
Two parts of my brain are warring about the Nichushkin thing: the hockey logic side is praising the FO for finally prioritizing the selection of high-end defensive prospects in the first two rounds. The cynical side argues that waiting 3-6 years for Morin to hopefully reach his ceiling is much worse than watching Nichushkin growing into a top-end PF aside (let's say) Couturier and Read this year.

Old
12-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Russian

Old
12-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Russian
Didn't Homer call the scouting staff out on this?

12-24-2013, 05:35 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Didn't Homer call the scouting staff out on this?
That was Sean Monahan.

Old
12-24-2013, 07:12 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
That is dam hilarious. I like how the Sabres players raise their arms in the air and are like "It's in!!"

Old
12-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 224
Quote:
Nashville ‪‎Predators‬ GM David Poile is believed to be calling around the league during the ‪‎HockeyHolidays‬ to make trade if possible. It's believed that times have changed in Tennessee and Shea Weber's contract, a result of a ‪‎Flyers‬ offer sheet, may be more of a burden than a saving grace after Ryan Suter parted ways.
hmm

Mez+Rinaldo+Rosehill+1st

Old
12-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
hmm

Mez+Rinaldo+Rosehill+1st
I know the offer is a joke, but I'd try something revolved around the Schenn brothers and work from there. I want Weber on this team!

Old
12-24-2013, 07:08 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
I know the offer is a joke, but I'd try something revolved around the Schenn brothers and work from there. I want Weber on this team!
Unless its like the schenns and a first, I don't care. They deserve all the financial burden they get for matching that offer sheet. No need to gut our farm or team because of their dumb financial decisions.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:06 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Would love to have Weber, but I also want to keep this young core together. If it is true that they want to trade him, I hope Homer doesn't go crazy and give up half the roster for him

Old
12-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Curufinwe

Webers contract is too risky. Especially with him not wearing a visor. One unlucky puck deflection and his 7.85m cap hit will be on LTIR for a decade.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, Weber would cost a premium and he already has a lot to his NHL resume. I don't want that contract in the slightest.

I know Homer was a big part of forcing that contract so he'd likely be interested, but for myself I have no interest in that.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:43 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Honestly, if the price is right I would take a chance on Weber. He would go a long way to solving our biggest problem right now and would allow us to properly develop guys like Morin, Haag, and Ghost if they aren't involved in the trade. He is also still relatively young for defenseman at what 28 years old. If we could get him and then a guy like Vanek this summer or Ryan the next summer we could be serious cup contenders

Old
12-24-2013, 09:51 PM
healthyscratch

Considering now it's partly a salary dump, good luck to them trying to get the kings ransom they were rumored to want before they matched.

I'll take him in a heartbeat. Brayden, Ghost, 3rd.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Flyerfan4life

i knew that contract was gunna kill Nashville...

Old
12-24-2013, 10:21 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Who is reporting that Nashville is thinking about trading him?

Old
12-24-2013, 10:35 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Hm. Interesting. Much rather move Weber for whatever package he'd get now instead of those 4 1sts he was gonna command. I think.

12-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Garbage Goal

I always take these rumors with a grain of salt, but it's not far fetched to believe that Weber is going to be available eventually. Suter leaving put a big hole in that lineup that was much bigger then people thought. Josi doesn't seem to be as great as Suter was and Jones is fresh and raw so even if he does turn out that great or better it will take time which isn't preferable considering Weber is already nearing 30.

They're also having a horrible season this year and IIRC they had a lackluster one last year too. Can't really justify keeping on a guy like Weber with a contract like that if they're not competing or ready to compete.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:13 PM
hockeyfreak7

Most I'd give is the Schenn+Schenn+Hagg or Ghost+pick.

If he retires when he's 38, the cap recapture wouldn't be too terrible. And with the cap rising, his cap hit won't be anything worse than Timonen's cap hit looks right now even if he plays out the entire deal.

I doubt they'd go for the above offer, and I doubt there wouldn't be other teams matching it. Just because he's got a big cap hit doesn't mean teams aren't going to be lining up for his services. It's not like he's regressed.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Downie
Simmonds-Lecavalier-Hartnell
Rinaldo-Hall-VandeVelde

Weber-Coburn
Timonen-Grossmann
Streit-Gustafsson

Suddenly looks like a Cup contender.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:31 PM
FLYERSFAN18

If Nashville is serious about trading Weber, I wonder if they would be more interested in young NHL players like the Schenns or picks. I could see it going either way. If they trade Weber it would be signaling a full rebuild. So they could get some young players already in the NHL to keep their fans interested or they could get a couple first round picks to add to forsberg, jones, and their high pick this year so that their core will be entering their prime around the same time.

I wouldn't mind sending a guy like Raffl and a couple picks their way even though Raffl has been great lately.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Funf

Doesn't Weber have a NTC now, or am I making that up?

Old
12-25-2013, 12:10 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
If Nashville is serious about trading Weber, I wonder if they would be more interested in young NHL players like the Schenns or picks. I could see it going either way. If they trade Weber it would be signaling a full rebuild. So they could get some young players already in the NHL to keep their fans interested or they could get a couple first round picks to add to forsberg, jones, and their high pick this year so that their core will be entering their prime around the same time.

I wouldn't mind sending a guy like Raffl and a couple picks their way even though Raffl has been great lately.
Any draft picks they get for Weber would be low ones just because teams interested in Weber would look at him as piece to get him over the hump. A couple of picks around the 25-30 overall mark would be a really shabby return for Weber.
They'd be good advised to look for blue chip offensive talent the way they developped defenders in the past they won't have trouble building a top D core, even without Weber.
They also have Legwand on a contract that runs out. He's playing good this year. I think Nashville could turn this franchise around pretty quickly the way they are build right now if they make the right moves.

I'd do the Schenns+2014 1st round pick+

But is that really what they'd look for?
They have no real need for Luke and while I still love Brayden, he's not going to be a first line offensive player on a contending team. They need some first line talent.

You look at Edmonton, if they'd offer Eberle, Klefbom and their first this year, that's a pretty good offer. Especially considering that pick is going to be top 10 overall.

Closed Thread