HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash Trade Redux

View Poll Results: Would you trade for Nash again?
Yes 97 44.50%
No 121 55.50%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
I've soured on Brassard. He's just way too inconsistent in what he does on the ice. He wants it but he isn't doing it. I doubt any team takes on that Nash contract. Have to pray that he comes back fully.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Going to sound very snobbish here.

One of the worst feelings in the world is having to be upset about a deal when just about everyone else is happy... and then watching everything you were worried about come true.
Yep. Sad that it will probably usher in the dark ages again. I loved what we were doing culminating in that 2011-2012 year. It seemed like we finally learned our lesson. But then we got Nash.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Lightningfan24
Thank you Jeter!

I knew it was a matter of time before people started to cry for a Nash trade, lol.

Lightningfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 09:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Going to sound very snobbish here.

One of the worst feelings in the world is having to be upset about a deal when just about everyone else is happy... and then watching everything you were worried about come true.
Nothing snobbish about the statement. That is exactly what is happening. And for those of us that lived together through the dark years on this board, the feeling is WELL known. Which is what we were all worried about.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 03:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
I've soured on Brassard. He's just way too inconsistent in what he does on the ice. He wants it but he isn't doing it. I doubt any team takes on that Nash contract. Have to pray that he comes back fully.
Yep. I called him a 3rd liner when we got him and then ate crow when he dominated last year. He's looked pretty good recently, but fore most of this season he's looked like a subpar 3rd liner.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yep. I called him a 3rd liner when we got him and then ate crow when he dominated last year. He's looked pretty good recently, but fore most of this season he's looked like a subpar 3rd liner.
So true.

In fact, all three guys we received from Columbus have their moments...but they have a lot more moments when you wonder why those good moments don't happen more often.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 06:17 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
So true.

In fact, all three guys we received from Columbus have their moments...but they have a lot more moments when you wonder why those good moments don't happen more often.
Dorsett is the exception. Other than the dumb penalties which he has cut down on, he's been solid every shift he plays

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Pizza

I read a lot of peoples comments about last year and what a beast Nash was then. The news is last year is gone and it ain't commin back.

Since Nash took that hit from Lucic he's not been the player he was. And the player he was is not what the Rangers needed. This team needed a truly elite player in terms of leadership and skill to help take us to the next level. Before his first concussion with the Rangers, Nash could make an impact with his skill alone. Now his seeming aversion to contact has greatly reduced any impact he can still bring.

So we wound up trading character, depth and a #1 pick for flash and excitement.

There was plenty to be concerned about before that deal went down and a number of us expressed our doubts about this player. As usual the majority of the fan base went for the hype. All you had to do was look at what the Jackets had done as a team with Nash wearing the C to give you a pretty solid take on what we were getting into.

Hopefully he can turn it around and make us doubters eat some crow. But I'm afraid it might be "Same old Rangers" for many and a bitter lesson for some of the younger folks in the fan base.

Let's see what he can do tonight against a pretty physical Leafs team. Should be a good indicator. If he's invisible again, the klaxons might really start blaring. If they have not already.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I read a lot of peoples comments about last year and what a beast Nash was then. The news is last year is gone and it ain't commin back.

Since Nash took that hit from Lucic he's not been the player he was. And the player he was is not what the Rangers needed. This team needed a truly elite player in terms of leadership and skill to help take us to the next level. Before his first concussion with the Rangers, Nash could make an impact with his skill alone. Now his seeming aversion to contact has greatly reduced any impact he can still bring.

There was plenty to be concerned about before that deal went down and a number of us expressed our doubts about this player. As usual the majority of the fan base went for the hype. All you had to do was look at what the Jackets had done as a team with Nash wearing the C to give you a pretty solid take on what we were getting into.

Hopefully he can turn it around and make us doubters eat some crow. But I'm afraid it might be "Same old Rangers" for many and a bitter lesson for some of the younger folks in the fan base.

Let's see what he can do tonight against a pretty physical Leafs team. Should be a good indicator. If he's invisible again, the klaxons might really start blaring. If they have not already.
That's a bingo.

If he does get back to form it wont be until after the Olympic break, and that "form" is questionable to begin with in terms of what this team really needs.

12-24-2013, 09:12 AM
True Blue

Quote:
So true. That trade was the beginning of the end.
Quote:
Just remember that it is far more exciting to loose, than win in a hardworking, low scoring way.
Quote:
The lesson feels like it has been learned over and over again. Let's go back all the way to Middleton.
Quote:
KLANG.....he could not even be visible with more open ice in the OT.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The lesson feels like it has been learned over and over again. Let's go back all the way to Middleton.
Rick Middleton is a guy I bring up often. He is the same mistake this franchise keeps making regardless of ownership or GM.

The most significant short coming the Rangers own is the failure to build a culture of winning. making the Middleton mistake among others, combined with some truly unfortunate luck has built a ton of negative energy around this franchise for decades.

It's clear to me that Tort's had significant issues. But there are some positive lessons to take away from his time here. You need a core of young talented players that develop and fight for each other. Every time the Rangers have tried that in my lifetime it's worked.

They need to get back to that and stick with it.

You can't torpedo that effort with a player that has no reputation for success. In his ten years with Cbus Nash accomplished one thing.

A decent highlight real.

Old
12-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

part of me thinks that Nash is just avoiding contact so he is able to play in the olympics... maybe he is just focusing on playing for team Canada...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 11:38 AM
True Blue

Quote:
You can't torpedo that effort with a player that has no reputation for success. In his ten years with Cbus Nash accomplished one thing.

A decent highlight real.
That point was made not all that long ago (do not recall who). You replaced the core of a young, hardworking team that just went to the ECF with Columbus Bluejackets. What does that tell you?

Middleton is one of many. Ridley & Miller, Tinordi, Zubov....don't even get me started.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Pizza

Quote:
That point was made not all that long ago (do not recall who). You replaced the core of a young, hardworking team that just went to the ECF with Columbus Bluejackets. What does that tell you?

Middleton is one of many. Ridley & Miller, Tinordi, Zubov....don't even get me started.
Rehashing it in light of this trade is usefull such that Kreider, Hagelin, Miller, McIlrath, Stepan, McDonagh et. al. should not be added to the list.

As in: Let's package Steps, Del Zotto and a 1st for Joe Thornton or Vinny LeCavalier or somebodyelsewhosnvrwonnothin kind of guy.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:29 PM
RangersHank*

Quote:
Rehashing it in light of this trade is usefull such that Kreider, Hagelin, Miller, McIlrath, Stepan, McDonagh et. al. should not be added to the list.

As in: Let's package Steps, Del Zotto and a 1st for Joe Thornton or Vinny LeCavalier or somebodyelsewhosnvrwonnothin kind of guy.
Vinny has a cup, just saying

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 02:45 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersHank View Post
Vinny has a cup, just saying
So too did Esposito when the Rangers traded for him. As did Robitaille. As did Kurri. Frankly, as did Gretzky.

I think that the point that Pizza was making was not whether or not the person is a specific Cup winner. But more that the trades were made for what a player used to be, not what they were.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:47 PM
RangersHank*

Quote:
So too did Esposito when the Rangers traded for him. As did Robitaille. As did Kurri. Frankly, as did Gretzky.

I think that the point that Pizza was making was not whether or not the person is a specific Cup winner. But more that the trades were made for what a player used to be, not what they were.

I wasnt arguing that they should trade for him, just saying that Vinny has a cup.

Yeah makes sense now that i look at it

RangersHank* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Exactamundo.

Failure after failure down through the years on up to the most recent makes me ever more convinced that this franchise has to focus on finding their own Callahans, Ratelles, Hatfields, Dubinsky's, Parks, etc. not trading them away.

There have been two exceptions: Mess and Jags.

We do pretty well when we stick to that game plan.

Culture, coaching and home grown players. That's what builds most of the perennial contenders, imho. A few outsiders added for specific purposes or outsized talent rounds out the mix.

Like Detroit adding Fredo this year.

Nash would have been the perfect addition to a team that had solid depth, leadership and an established mix. A team where he would not get the focus that he is receiving in New York....cause he's never proven he can handle it. Like a Zuccarello seems to thrive on it. Seems to want even more of it. Nobody gets that vibe from Nash do they?

Old
12-26-2013, 01:14 PM
NYRKING30

Just saw this and I voted no. If you go back to the thread I didn't want him then and I don't want him now. I wanted Bobby Ryan then and I want him now. He is outproducing him again and is younger with a much better contract. Good thing is Nash is a UFA in 3 seasons which probably makes him tradeable soon pending the cap keep going up. Yes hes a very good player just was never worth what he got and no I wouldn't trade him for peanuts.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:33 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
part of me thinks that Nash is just avoiding contact so he is able to play in the olympics... maybe he is just focusing on playing for team Canada...
this has been my thought as well...

NHL players usually say the Olympics are some of the most memorable moments of their careers...

in either case, he is being a selfish *******

Old
12-26-2013, 01:36 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
this has been my thought as well...

NHL players usually say the Olympics are some of the most memorable moments of their careers...

in either case, he is being a selfish *******
If that's the case, he deserves an earful from the organization.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:43 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

The Nash trade was 100% the right move when it was made. I'm not a Sather fan but there's no way cigar boy could have foreseen Nash being hurt overseas and then concussed twice on questionable plays, one which resulted in a suspension.

That trade reminds me of playing poker. Even though you might make the right decision, it doesn't always work out. Nash was excellent for us last year prior to getting concussed and then he had a below average playoffs. Although, on that note he did make some important plays, namely the game winning primary assist to Kreider in the BOS series. Only scored once I believe though.

The thing with Nash is he needs to get healthy and drive the net and not shy away from contact. If he can do that consistently, he's pretty much a lock for 70 points which is what this team desperately needs. If he continues at his current pace we're not going much of anywhere, especially in the playoffs. I personally think Nash will start getting healthier and return to form; hopefully he misses Team Canada and gets a solid rest

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Nightshift

Nash looks disinterested at best. He is constantly shown on the bench with that blank stare on his face. Twice concussed since joining the team he basically facilitated a deal to join. Nobody batted an eyelash after the headshot he took on the 2nd concussion. Im sure he has taken notice.

Nightshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:45 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Exactamundo.

Failure after failure down through the years on up to the most recent makes me ever more convinced that this franchise has to focus on finding their own Callahans, Ratelles, Hatfields, Dubinsky's, Parks, etc. not trading them away.

Culture, coaching and home grown players. That's what builds most of the perennial contenders, imho. A few outsiders added for specific purposes or outsized talent rounds out the mix.

Nash would have been the perfect addition to a team that had solid depth, leadership and an established mix. A team where he would not get the focus that he is receiving in New York....cause he's never proven he can handle it. Like a Zuccarello seems to thrive on it. Seems to want even more of it. Nobody gets that vibe from Nash do they?
The 2 exceptions being 1st ballot HoF and truly truly elite talent not that BS elite people love to throw around here.

Gretz was great for NYR tho. He was just older and didnt have a lot to work with. Im pretty sure he lead the league or was #2 in points while here.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Exactamundo.

Yeah, and if I had to go back, I would do this trade....

for a different player. If that was Patrick Kane, or Evander Kane, I would have done it. Nash was a gamble. nash is not a leader, nash is not a peckhead, nash isn't a pest. Basically, nash is NOT a complete player. He is a scorer, and that's not a player I trade for any day

Seems what Sather does is develop them half way, trade them for established players who are on the wrong side of their prime, and then they blow chunks