HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"Rangers eye deal" - Brooks

Old
01-15-2007, 08:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
“We look at that on a daily basis,” Poile said. “We are in constant contact with our scouts. There are more teams that are competitive this year. I expect there will be less deals made between now and the trade deadline than previous years. And I think the price to be paid to make the deals will be higher than ever before
http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=54092

Stay away

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yeah, with the early deadline things won't be as sorted out as they used to before, but if there is anytime to make a move its probably on deadlineday.

What maybe could be done is a Hall for another 4th lineer, but who we think are a better fit, or Rachunek for a Orpik or something like that. Like not a deal were we get a player beeing dumped by another team.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 06:05 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Certainly, he said yesterday, no trade is imminent. He firmly rejected a report out of New York that said he is in serious talks with the Rangers, who purportedly covet Ryan Malone and Brooks Orpik
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07016/754077-61.stm

Old
01-16-2007, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"Ray brought me in and warned me about that one," Malone said. "I've been hearing (trade rumors) all year, but I had a good talk with Ray."
That one is the Post rumor

Quote:
"(Shero) kind of told me that he talked to Glen, obviously, and that teams were asking about me," Malone said. "He said he's not looking to trade me, but it's part of the business and that's just the way it goes. I'm kind of struggling or whatever, and I don't think I'm playing up to my potential right now."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_488732.html

Old
01-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

It sure did get quiet in here...

NYR Glen DID contact Pens Shero and inquired about Malone & Orpik.

The Rangers were indeed interested in those 2 players.

Shero will listen to offers, but he is not going to give away a 20+ goal / 40+ point guy who scored 5 shorthanded goals and a excellent penalty killer with size for less or equal value.

Orpik is a strong #3/#4 defenseman who can lay out monster hits and skate very well, but he has played like a #5/#6 defenseman so far this season, not something you want to give away in knee-jerk fashion.

Prucha is a nice player, but the last thing Shero wants to do is make a Division Foe stronger.

Seems like many of you owe Larry Brooks and apology.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post

Shero will listen to offers, but he is not going to give away a 20+ goal / 40+ point guy who scored 5 shorthanded goals and a excellent penalty killer with size for less or equal value.

Orpik is a strong #3/#4 defenseman who can lay out monster hits and skate very well, but he has played like a #5/#6 defenseman so far this season, not something you want to give away in knee-jerk fashion.

Prucha is a nice player, but the last thing Shero wants to do is make a Division Foe stronger.

First off, why don't you read the thread. No one is bashing Brooks for the Penguins rumor. NO ONE. It's all about the Rosie rumor which makes no sense. What did you read? Like 2 posts here? And you think we somehow should magically trust Brooks and owe him an apology?

Now, Glen might've contacted Shero about Malone but who knows what he offered? Prucha is the hot trade chip to throw around right now so I think that all the beat writers singled in on him more than others.

And the Rangers aren't going to give away a fan favorite, 30 goal scorer for less or equal value.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 11:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post

Apology for what?

The Rangers have talked with every team in the NHL about making a deal

Quote:
"If you think there's going to be some major movements, it's just not happening. I don't think it's going to happen anywhere. Maybe closer to the (trade deadline, Feb. 27)," said Rangers assistant general manager Don Maloney, whose team sits in seventh place in the Eastern Conference standings. "(General manager Glen Sather's) been very active on the phones, but it's no different than it's been for the last three or four months. It's very difficult to find the right fit, whether it's a player's contract, his age, the compensation involved. It's very hard to make a deal."
http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pb...88/1046/SPORTS

Where is the confirmation about which players were discussed?

Old
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM
Dubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
I believe Brooks is mislead/lied to by whoever his "3rd party source" happens to be.
If you read Larry's article carefully, you can tell that his source for both the St. Louis and Pittsburgh rumors is the same person -- he goes out of his way to say "third-party personnel source" for St. Louis, but not so for Pittsburgh, who he says was represented at the last game by two scouts. One of those scouts was Kevin Stevens, a talkative guy, and someone Larry has a relationship with from his days as a Ranger. So I don't know any of this for sure, but circumstantial evidence would indicate that Stevens told Brooks both of these tales, the Pittsburgh tale true (up to the point of the Rangers inquiring about the players) and the St. Louis tale probably Kevin's way of stirring something up that might ultimately serve his own personal interests -- the benefit of his team, the Penguins.

Larry technically did nothing wrong by reporting what his source was telling him. Just like with the Prucha to Chicago story earlier in the season, he was completely up front that he was not reporting based on Ranger sources -- sources he has constant and daily access to, sources that he constantly puts questions to on these kinds of subjects. On the other hand, other reporters get similar info and makes decisions on whether to publish based on how credible the story is. Dellapina knows the Rangers are interested in bringing Rucinsky back for Jagr's sake and he also knows that they offered far less than Prucha for him (Hall), but John is not Larry and would not publish hearsay. Ditto another Ranger beat writer who heard from a direct source that the Rangers turned down a Vancouver offer of Brendan Morrison for Fedor Tyutin -- although he felt his source was credible, he also told me that he felt the story was nevertheless too tenuous to be published as fact, and didn't want to publish a rumor.

Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi View Post
If you read Larry's article carefully, you can tell that his source for both the St. Louis and Pittsburgh rumors is the same person -- he goes out of his way to say "third-party personnel source" for St. Louis, but not so for Pittsburgh, who he says was represented at the last game by two scouts. One of those scouts was Kevin Stevens, a talkative guy, and someone Larry has a relationship with from his days as a Ranger. So I don't know any of this for sure, but circumstantial evidence would indicate that Stevens told Brooks both of these tales, the Pittsburgh tale true (up to the point of the Rangers inquiring about the players) and the St. Louis tale probably Kevin's way of stirring something up that might ultimately serve his own personal interests -- the benefit of his team, the Penguins.

Larry technically did nothing wrong by reporting what his source was telling him. Just like with the Prucha to Chicago story earlier in the season, he was completely up front that he was not reporting based on Ranger sources -- sources he has constant and daily access to, sources that he constantly puts questions to on these kinds of subjects. On the other hand, other reporters get similar info and makes decisions on whether to publish based on how credible the story is. Dellapina knows the Rangers are interested in bringing Rucinsky back for Jagr's sake and he also knows that they offered far less than Prucha for him (Hall), but John is not Larry and would not publish hearsay. Ditto another Ranger beat writer who heard from a direct source that the Rangers turned down a Vancouver offer of Brendan Morrison for Fedor Tyutin -- although he felt his source was credible, he also told me that he felt the story was nevertheless too tenuous to be published as fact, and didn't want to publish a rumor.
Thanks, Dubi. You speak knowledgably on the subject and make some very good points. Can you give us a bit on your background to indicate how you have these insights? (Speaking generally enough so as not to get yourself or anyone else in trouble, of course.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 12:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

If the Rangers want to bring back Rucinsky for Jagr's sake,then why didn't they just re-sign him in the summer?The Rangers did not want to give a 35 year old Rucinsky a two year deal because the second season is guaranteed/no cut but nothing has changed with Rucinsky's contract status for 2007-08.The people who run this team are ****ing morons-Slats,Maloney

Kevin Stevens?East St.Louis Kevin.Where the hooker with the crack and her pimp at the game?

Old
01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
From what Maloney said in that quote it sounds like there won't be too many deals before the deadline this year. And I've read similar quotes from other GMs saying the exact same thing.

Maybe that's better? Prevents Sather from doing something rash.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
If you read Larry's article carefully, you can tell that his source for both the St. Louis and Pittsburgh rumors is the same person -- he goes out of his way to say "third-party personnel source" for St. Louis, but not so for Pittsburgh, who he says was represented at the last game by two scouts. One of those scouts was Kevin Stevens, a talkative guy, and someone Larry has a relationship with from his days as a Ranger. So I don't know any of this for sure, but circumstantial evidence would indicate that Stevens told Brooks both of these tales, the Pittsburgh tale true (up to the point of the Rangers inquiring about the players) and the St. Louis tale probably Kevin's way of stirring something up that might ultimately serve his own personal interests -- the benefit of his team, the Penguins...Ditto another Ranger beat writer who heard from a direct source that the Rangers turned down a Vancouver offer of Brendan Morrison for Fedor Tyutin -- although he felt his source was credible, he also told me that he felt the story was nevertheless too tenuous to be published as fact, and didn't want to publish a rumor.
Your guess of Stevens being the source behind these rumours makes the most sense. And Stevens is highly unlikely to be privy to the exact nature of Blues/Rangers discussions. Anybody with a modicum of common sense can guess that Jagr might be missing Rucinsky and, with the team not doing well, put 2 and 2 together.

The tidbit on Morrison/Tjutin is very interesting. It certainly puts a hole in the theory of Rangers' willingness to sacrafice young players for the sake of a play-off run. Morrison is somebody far likelier to produce immediate dividends, just due to the position he plays. If the Rangers are unwilling to move Tjutin for a desperately needed 2nd line center, I don't believe for a second they'd be willing to do a Prucha/Rucinsky exchange. Morrison is still quality, and unlike Rucinsky, fills a position of extreme need.

Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:23 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Morrison is still quality, and unlike Rucinsky, fills a position of extreme need.
Yes, he is an excellent fit, unless Lecavalier will be available at some point. Tyutin would follow Zubov's footsteps? Here we go...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Ola

Quote:

Thats a nice pick up. Would never have thought of it!

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Fletch

Stevens isn't privy to inside knowledge..

of the Blues, but they do hear chatter from their counterparts throughout the league. People talk. But rumors are rumors. People are fishing. Sather goes to Shero and says what will it take to get Oprik and Malone, and I'm looking to unload Hall, and Shero responds, start with Prucha.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Thanks, Dubi. You speak knowledgably on the subject and make some very good points. Can you give us a bit on your background to indicate how you have these insights? (Speaking generally enough so as not to get yourself or anyone else in trouble, of course.)
BRfan, the Dubi in question is Dubi Silverstein from the Blueshirt Bulletin. I figured that was common knowledge.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
BRfan, the Dubi in question is Dubi Silverstein from the Blueshirt Bulletin. I figured that was common knowledge.
Nope - thanks for the info.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Dubi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Thanks for saving me the trouble of having to shamelessly plug Blueshirt Bulletin, "Indepenently Covering New York's Hockey Team", as it says across the top of every issue, with complete coverage of the Rangers as well as every prospect from Kamloops to Kladno.

But seriously, to answer your question more directly, BRfan, I cover the home games, so I knew Stevens was at that game. And most of the Ranger beat writers freelance for Blueshirt Bulletin, so I have a good relationship with them and get to hear a lot of what they dig up even if it doesn't make the paper. The only Ranger beat writers who don't write for me are the Times writers, who are not allowed to freelance by their paper, and Larry, who imposes that standard on himself as a demonstration of his loyalty to his newspaper, which I respect (though he does write for The Hockey News as well).

Dubi is offline   Reply With Quote