HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT 1/13/07: Boston Bruins @ New York Rangers, 2:00pm

Old
01-14-2007, 08:06 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Oh yeah...SoS...nice job turning this into an Orr debate.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Orr is not a good enforcer, and he is certainly not a good hockey player. I really wish that we could do better. I've criticized his game the whole season. However at this point, with this team headed nowhere, I have no problem throwing the kid out there if he's willing to stick up for our players.

Now, crosschecking opposing forwards in the face is not the right way to stand up for our players, IMO. I'm willing to give the kid a pass on that one, though another bull**** play like that and I'd waive him outright.

So while my opinion on Orr has not changed one bit this season, I've become a little more willing to let him do his thing. I think he looked OK out there yesterday, didn't hurt us at all If I recall correctly. Again, I think the kid is pretty useless, but half of our team is useless right now. Hopefully Orr can elevate his game and turn himself into a competent enforcer. I'm not holding my breath, but what the hell.
What i highlighted sums up Orr to me...I think we all wish we could do better with that lineup spot and it's time to look from within...

In Hartford there are 5 players that could step in and add something to those bottom two lines.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:09 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
What i highlighted sums up Orr to me...I think we all wish we could do better with that lineup spot and it's time to look from within...

In Hartford there are 5 players that could step in and add something to those bottom two lines.
Amazing how you continue to fail to realize that the only thing close to an enforcer down there is Lessard...and you don't even want him here.

Old
01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
How does every discussion here end up focusing on Colton Orr?

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Because Renney continues to use him....

With the team lacking scoring throughout the lineup and....

With the team lacking a center that can win faceoffs there is no excuse for putting a guy like Orr on the roster...We aren't talking about an enforcer that can skate here..We are talking about a goon who can't win a fight...It's really that simple and cut and dry...

Until an enforcer that can play a regular shift can be found the rangers should go another route with that lineup spot...With so many 3rd and 4th line players in the system having a sense of urgency with that roster spot/lineup spot is critical..Keeping those guys hungry is critical..It's bad roster management....It's bad coaching...

In the one calander year of Orr being on the roster I have yet to see a valid argument as to why he is here...

The best that people can come up with now is "because we don't have anybody better."

that's a terrible reason to keep Orr in the lineup..Borderline NHL players don't get the benefit of the doubt...Not on most teams at least...

Old
01-14-2007, 10:45 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
Because some people don't understand that he has a role on this team

Old
01-14-2007, 10:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Because Renney continues to use him....

With the team lacking scoring throughout the lineup and....

With the team lacking a center that can win faceoffs there is no excuse for putting a guy like Orr on the roster...We aren't talking about an enforcer that can skate here..We are talking about a goon who can't win a fight...It's really that simple and cut and dry...

Until an enforcer that can play a regular shift can be found the rangers should go another route with that lineup spot...With so many 3rd and 4th line players in the system having a sense of urgency with that roster spot/lineup spot is critical..Keeping those guys hungry is critical..It's bad roster management....It's bad coaching...

In the one calander year of Orr being on the roster I have yet to see a valid argument as to why he is here...

The best that people can come up with now is "because we don't have anybody better."

that's a terrible reason to keep Orr in the lineup..Borderline NHL players don't get the benefit of the doubt...Not on most teams at least...
No? Mccarty, Godard, Peters, Belak, Parros, Hordichuk, McGrattan, Boogard, Janssen, Shelley, Ott, Cowan, Boulton, Roy, Gratton, Eager, etc. No? You sure? You've yet to see a valid argument? That's what happens when you fail to read every post but your own.

Old
01-14-2007, 10:55 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
There really ought to be a 24-hour window in which posts can be added to the GDT after the conclusion of the game, before the thread is locked. It seems each thread, without failure, turns to Orr vs player-X, Orr as a fighter, Orr as an enforcer, Orr's value, etc... It's really ridiculous.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
There really ought to be a 24-hour window in which posts can be added to the GDT after the conclusion of the game, before the thread is locked. It seems each thread, without failure, turns to Orr vs player-X, Orr as a fighter, Orr as an enforcer, Orr's value, etc... It's really ridiculous.
until orr is waived your going to see his name mentioned in game threads that he plays...

Old
01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
until orr is waived your going to see his name mentioned in game threads that he plays...
Better yet...until you learn the necessities of a team...your going to see his name mentioned

Old
01-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Fletch

Tbbb...

honestly, nobody denies this team lack toughness. Most, however, do not feel Orr adds value and they are actually better off without Orr. I'll say it once again, having a guy who can win a fight does very little if he's not going to be a deterrent from your best players getting knocked down, frustrated, or hit hard or cheaply. All of that has happened in each game in which Orr has played, so what really is his use? He'll win 10 fights this season - big whoop - it's an 82 game season. He's normally not very physical, and definitely doesn't stop anybody on other teams from doing what they do. The physical problem with this team is not an enforcer, but players who can play physical while still being useful for 15+ minutes per game, as well as tough defensemen. You cannot replace that with one Orr.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
honestly, nobody denies this team lack toughness. Most, however, do not feel Orr adds value and they are actually better off without Orr. I'll say it once again, having a guy who can win a fight does very little if he's not going to be a deterrent from your best players getting knocked down, frustrated, or hit hard or cheaply. All of that has happened in each game in which Orr has played, so what really is his use? He'll win 10 fights this season - big whoop - it's an 82 game season. He's normally not very physical, and definitely doesn't stop anybody on other teams from doing what they do. The physical problem with this team is not an enforcer, but players who can play physical while still being useful for 15+ minutes per game, as well as tough defensemen. You cannot replace that with one Orr.
No you can't but it's the closest you can come. Fact is...Orr makes this team tougher than Krog, Hall, or some other people that have been brought up. The reason I respond to SoS the way I do is because he's not very familiar with having discussions. I'd love to actually talk about it with you...but when you've got a guy who holds a personal grudge against someone...well then you know what I mean

Old
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Fletch

I guess where I'm coming from is...

that the one fight every 8-10 games, the one hit (typically) per game doesn't make a difference in the outcome and doesn't increase toughness a material amount to a point where I wouldn't want a guy out there who has can create scoring chances and/or can kill penalties, both of which I believe to be more valuable than Orr. In those games where he was suspended (5), I cannot recall one game in which I thought toughness was needed or where Orr can make a difference. To me, Orr's not Simon, Laroque, etc., and while he may be the 'best' option for an 'enforcer'-type, it doesn't mean that he's the best option to be in the lineup, given what the lineup may look without him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Here's the bottom line. The last GDT had to be locked because went the same way this one is going. This topic cannot continue to infect every thread. From here forward, it will be at my discretion whether Orr valid to the discussion or not. If you're luring someone into this argument or chose take up the discussion at all, you risk being tagged with a "disobeying moderator" infraction and you will be banned from that thread. Do not ask for clarification. Do not PM me with in an attempt to validate your argument. It's a problem that literally dozens of board members have voiced their displeasure at, so I'm going to deal with a like a total ******* until it's solved.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote