HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot is this year's obligatory enigma

Old
12-23-2013, 12:23 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Don't look now, 6 points in 8 games
This is not going to become a Marcel Hossa type of thread, is it? The pro-side coming out in droves every time that something positive happens and then retreating when said player becomes invisible again.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

You can see the skill level and he has been flying lately and playing more physical, has to bring it more consistently...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
This is not going to become a Marcel Hossa type of thread, is it? The pro-side coming out in droves every time that something positive happens and then retreating when said player becomes invisible again.
Um, I was here from the beginning.

I was going to say, it's shaping up like a Brian Boyle thread because it's a lot easier to generate a discussion when he's playing poorly than when he's playing well.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 12:48 PM
azaloum90

hope he keeps it up...

Pouliot, Boyle, Dorsett, and D. Moore have been some decent signings. I want all 4 kept here , however if poo stays it should be because he is consistent... not beacuse he has the potential. too late in his career to look for potential

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 01:07 PM
IAMREALITY

Haven't read the rest of the thread but just felt the need to say that all season, Benoit has been my whipping boy. He just completely sucked in my opinion, I didn't know who he was, didn't care, just wanted him gone. He was utterly useless to me, and I'd curse his name almost as much per game as Del Zotto. I'd hear the announcers repeatedly say how he has skill, that the coaches know how much potential he has, blah blah blah, and I'd think what skill?? Are they nuts?

But I now must admit, the last few games I've seen him come alive, and after the interview last night, I'm actually, umm, jeez, starting to kinda like him? I'm hoping he's found himself, that he does in fact have this skill, because he has been an unquestionable asset the last few games. If he and Zuc can keep up this level of play, and Brassard can continue coming along, then all of a sudden there's a whole new dynamic on the ice. So I'm crossing my fingers, but really have been very pleasantly surprised with his play of late, was surprised in his interview to actually find him to be quite likeable, and will look upon him with an open mind. But he definitely deserves some real kudos for how he's been playing lately, and I'm the least likely person to have thought I'd be giving them. But hey, what's earned is earned. LGR!!!!!!!!!!

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Sell now.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

he was a teammate of Marc Staal back in the 03-04-05-06 season of junior hockey.. didnt realize that they known each other for that long... maybe Staal had some input into the Pouliot signing..

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

He's also cut down on those ridiculous penalties.

First 19 games: -6 penalty differential
Last 16 games: +4 penalty differential

Old
12-23-2013, 02:58 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Jeeze, the guy is playing well and people are happy and supporting that and you come in as negative Nancy?

God forbid people are excited he's playing well all of a sudden.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Vitto79

he is what he is, streaky........very streaky........he can score in bunches but stinks at times. As a filler forward I see why they signed him. For example Pyatt used to score in bunches but now he just plain stinks

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 06:31 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

He's played very well as of late, but his body of work is plenty for me to guess he'll be a streaky guy that can spend stretches of the season not just not scoring, but playing absolutely atrocious hockey.

Sell now. This is the perfect time that GM's win these kind of trades. There's been a ton of scouts around the NYR lately, someone might bite hard.

Old
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
He's played very well as of late, but his body of work is plenty for me to guess he'll be a streaky guy that can spend stretches of the season not just not scoring, but playing absolutely atrocious hockey.

Sell now. This is the perfect time that GM's win these kind of trades. There's been a ton of scouts around the NYR lately, someone might bite hard.
Because opposing GMs only care about the last couple weeks?

Old
12-23-2013, 06:34 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Because opposing GMs only care about the last couple weeks?
Because opposing GM's make mistakes based on immediate need.

Old
12-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Giving credit where it's due, Pouliot has been playing great. Doing everything right.

12-23-2013, 06:42 PM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Giving credit where it's due, Pouliot has been playing great. Doing everything right.'

He is very streaky. these past 4-5 games he has been one of better players. but the previous 30 he was awful. Hopefully this good streak last a while

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

He will score 30 goals this year.

Everyone will say "finally one of these reclamation projects worked out!" "maybe Sather really DOES know what he is doing!" "This is awesome!"

Then he will disappear into oblivion ala Petr Prucha....

Next!

12-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

Better than Nash at the moment. Doesn't tell a lot, but always something.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 09:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Jeeze, the guy is playing well and people are happy and supporting that and you come in as negative Nancy?
I am continuing the discussion for a thread that I did not start. Am I supposed to stick head in sand and just forget what history have has shown. He is playing better. Great. I will hold off on the pom-pom waiving until he can do it for a few months.
Quote:
God forbid people are excited he's playing well all of a sudden.
Be excited all you want. I take the approach of viewing the track record and what appears on the back of the card each year. As Rangers fan, I hope that he proves me wrong. As a Rangers fan, I do not think that he will. Hence, the discussion. Or is this about to become one of those "real fans" discussions?

Old
12-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
Better than Nash at the moment. Doesn't tell a lot, but always something.
Doing something Nash refuses to do play hard and physical

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
He will score 30 goals this year.

Everyone will say "finally one of these reclamation projects worked out!" "maybe Sather really DOES know what he is doing!" "This is awesome!"

Then he will disappear into oblivion ala Petr Prucha....

Next!
Or people will realize that he is a 30 point guy, who scorers in bunches, because that's what he's always been

12-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Or people will realize that he is a 30 point guy, who scorers in bunches, because that's what he's always been
I don't know, seems far-fetched.

Old
12-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
That is every single player discussion in the history of HFBoards, but -31- has been poiting out how Pouliot was only bound to get better given his stats historically since the beginning of this thread.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy but the stats don't lie. He was playing far below what he has shown capable of on 3 other teams. He is a very good 3rd line player with an offensive touch when he is playing at his NHL ceiling.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 02:42 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the guy but the stats don't lie. He was playing far below what he has shown capable of on 3 other teams. He is a very good 3rd line player with an offensive touch when he is playing at his NHL ceiling.
No, facts are facts. And very good 3rd line players with an offensive touch do not keep changing teams every year. Mostly his lackadaisical play results in him not being the player you describe. His play is more often than not "playing to his NHL ceiling.". Spurts, yes. But over the course of time, he reverts to being the player that he has been his entire career.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

Quote:
No, facts are facts. And very good 3rd line players with an offensive touch do not keep changing teams every year.
Can confirm this is not a fact.

Old
12-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 243
Quote:
I am continuing the discussion for a thread that I did not start. Am I supposed to stick head in sand and just forget what history have has shown. He is playing better. Great. I will hold off on the pom-pom waiving until he can do it for a few months.

Be excited all you want. I take the approach of viewing the track record and what appears on the back of the card each year. As Rangers fan, I hope that he proves me wrong. As a Rangers fan, I do not think that he will. Hence, the discussion. Or is this about to become one of those "real fans" discussions?
Nobody is saying he's turned the corner. Nobody is saying to resign him. We're just recognizing that he's playing well, literally nothing more. Jesus christ.

Are we supposed to just ignore his good play because he wasn't playing that way before?

You speak like we're anointing him our savior.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote