HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introducing your 2014-15 Flyers - armchair edition.

Old
12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
KrazyKat

vCash: 500
Trade Hartnell for picks.
Get Hall and Rosehill out of the city.
Let youth take over.
Timonen gone. Meszaros gone. Grossmann gone.

Raffl Giroux Voracek
Schenn Lecalvier Simmonds
Read Couturier Downie
Mcginn Laughton Cousins

Schenn Coburn
Streit Lauridsen
Gustaffson Morin

Mason
Stolarz

KrazyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 09:19 PM
BrindamoursNose

I don't get how we can make statements about how Homer is so impatient, but then say things like rebuild but leave G, Mason, Couturier and our 1st alone. We'd be rebuilding again rather than letting the team grow together! A trade or two is fine, but this notion of the team needs to be turned over is ridiculous.

Improvements need to be made, but gotta let the core grow together. Through thick and thin.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Grare

I really don't think this team is far off...
I feel with some speed it will open up a lot and keep the opp teams defense back.

We need to get rid of Hartnell, having Simmonds, & Downie deems him expendable.
Trade Hartnell and our 1st for Kane

Kane G Vora (could switch V and Simmer for playmakers on each line
Schenn V Simmer (very good 2nd scoring line)
Read Couts Downie (shut down line that will provide offense)
Rinaldo Hall Rafl (good faceoffs line, Rafl, Hall, good defensively)

The speed and snipe ability of Kane and what he brings over Hartnell would be light and day and would solidify our top 9 for the future

Morin, Hagg, Ghost are defense prospects coming along admirably
Fix the d through FA as a stop gap

With Laughton coming up next year, one of our centers could be moved as a package for a quality player that we need.

Last edited by Grare: 12-18-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Grare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
I tried to stay as realistic as possible.

FORWARDS
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Michael Raffl ($0.700m)
Taylor Leier ($0.808m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.600m) / Jay Rosehill ($0.675m)

DEFENSEMEN
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Some Scrub ($0.600m) / Mark Alt ($0.782m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($5.625m)
Ray Emery ($1.400m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,073,799; BONUSES: $163,767
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $26,201

Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Ray Emery ($1.400m)

------
Hahaha care to show your work or did you just turn on the auto force trade feature?

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
Hahaha care to show your work or did you just turn on the auto force trade feature?
Sure. Flyers win the draft lottery in 2007, the Richards trade never happens, Parise and Suter decide to sign here, Nashville let's Weber go via offer sheet, Voracek and company traded for Ryan, never trade Bob, and the Pronger contract vanishes due to new rule. It's all possible with a time machine. As you can see its been a boring day at the relatives!

Old
12-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Raffl House

Quote:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS
Ray Emery ($1.400m)

------
Mark Alt over Oliver Lauridsen!?!?!

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffl House View Post
Mark Alt over Oliver Lauridsen!?!?!
Need Alt's right handed shot. Actually since that pairing will play like 10min we can have both of them together.

Old
12-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Need Alt's right handed shot. Actually since that pairing will play like 10min we can have both of them together.
Problem solving at its finest.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:15 PM
Grare

Although unlikely I think this would be a cup caliber team

trade Hartnell, 1st for Buff
trade Schenns for MaxPac

sign Vanek, Phanauf
Kimmo 1 year deal

Vanek G Vora
Pac Vinny Simmonds
Read Cout Downie
Rafl Laughton Rinaldo

Phanauf Coburn
Kimmo Buff
Str8 Gross

Mason

Moron, Hagg, Ghost in the wings

Grare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:18 PM
FLYERSFAN18

My perfect offseason would look something like this. Simmonds and Hartnell traded for Ryan. 3 firsts traded for Weber, even though im normally against trading our first round picks. But for Weber I would do it. Never going to happen, but that would be a dream scenario for me

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Lecavalier-Downie
McGinn-Laughton-Hall
Rinaldo

Coburn-Weber
Grossmann-Streit
Gustaffson-Schenn
Alt

Mason

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Appleyard

Being realistic, these guys barring a trade will likely be on the roster next year:

Schenn ($2.9m)/Giroux ($8.275m)/Voracek ($4.25m)
Hartnell ($4.75m)/Lecavalier ($4.5m)/Simmonds ($3.975m)
Raffl ($1m)/Couturier ($1.75m)/Read ($3.625m)
Rinaldo ($750k)/Laughton ($894.167K)/Rosehill ($675k)
xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxx/Coburn ($4.5m)
Streit ($5.25m)/Grossmann ($3.5m)
Schenn ($3.6m)/Gustafsson ($1.1m)

Mason ($4.5m)
xxxxxx

IR:

Pronger ($4.941m)

Tied up:

$64,735,595 (inc Pronger)
$59,794,167 (Pronger LTIR)

That would give them $11,305,833 once Pronger is LTIRed for a forward, 1 top 4 D, a #7 and backup. (working off $71.1million cap)

The biggest need is a top 4 D man IMO. I would not mind Kimmo back, if he comes back I imagine he likely gets 5.5-6m again. If he is not back I would look at Girardi, MacDonald, Nikitin, Niskanen and Markov... most of whom will be in the 4.5-6mill range.

So the top 4 D takes us down to ~$6million to work with.

A #7 will be ~$700k, and a backup ~$1.5m if we don't promote.

So that leaves ~$3.5-4 million left... which can be used on a forward for the top 9.

The UFA guys likely available in that range or less: Kulemin, Downie, Vrbata, Setoguchi, Raymond, Ott, Penner, Moss, Michelak, Legwand, both Jokinens, Jagr, Whitney, Hemsky, Grabovski and Bolland.

As can be seen there is a decent selection available for that price, and pretty much anything you need in the top 9 apart from an out and out 1st liner. (well, Jagr is one)

Callahan, Vanek and Moulson will cost more unfortunately... they would be the guys who would look best on the Flyers (not that I would really want Moulson, even though I quite like him... but he would score a tonne with G.)

(I put Schenn at that price looking at Kadri, Ennis, Couture, Okposo and Grabner. Guys who at a similar age over the last 2 years all had similar or more PPG and were given contracts in the 2.8-3 million range.

Raffl's QO is $735k, but I imagine he gets a bump on a ~1-2 year deal.

I would sign Gus as #6... he likely gets a small bump to ~just over 1m... say $1.1m.

Mason will likely get 4-5million.)

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Prongo
Beer

Callahan would look awesome here and instantly become a fan favorite. New York fans are not happy with him, but usually any team who is losing the fans are not happy with anyone besides the young players who have potential.

Vanek for 7 years 55-56 million would probably as far as I go with him, if he doesn't accept move on.

If the Flyers get ousted in the first round or don't even make the playoffs, I could see major changes to the defense. Coburn/Grossmann/Schenn(less likely) I feel all might be on the block. Coburn and Hartnell to Edmonton for Eberle+Nurse??? One thing I worry about with any Eberle deal is how he would play here. We need our forwards to dig in and work extremely hard down low, and he is a notorious soft player.

Girardi, I love him. No he is not the fastest skate, but he makes up for it with positional play. He is a great #2 defender who can anchor a second pairing. If Girardi comes in at 6 million or close to that per year, I would love to grab him.

One thing that worries me is the Flyers don't have a lot(probably enough) cap space to make major moves if they intend to. Meaning players are going to be traded. We all seen it happen before, but if we just go through free agency and bargain hunt they will be fine. When have the Flyers ever done that though??

Last edited by Prongo: 01-09-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 10:36 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Callahan would look awesome here and instantly become a fan favorite. New York fans are not happy with him, but usually any team who is losing the fans are not happy with anyone besides the young players who have potential.

Vanek for 7 years 55-56 million would probably as far as I go with him, if he doesn't accept move on.

If the Flyers get ousted in the first round or don't even make the playoffs, I could see major changes to the defense. Coburn/Grossmann/Schenn(less likely) I feel all might be on the block. Coburn and Hartnell to Edmonton for Eberle+Nurse??? One thing I worry about with any Eberle deal is how he would play here. We need our forwards to dig in and work extremely hard down low, and he is a notorious soft player.

Girardi, I love him. No he is not the fastest skate, but he makes up for it with positional play. He is a great #2 defender who can anchor a second pairing. If Girardi comes in at 6 million or close to that per year, I would love to grab him.

One thing that worries me is the Flyers don't have a lot(probably enough) cap space to make major moves if they intend to. Meaning players are going to be traded. We all seen it happen before, but if we just go through free agency and bargain hunt they will be fine. When have the Flyers ever done that though??
What are we trading for Ryan?

Old
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
What are we trading for Ryan?
People around here would be so angry if we trade for him. If he becomes available do you throw your first rounder+ at Ottawa for him. It will need to start there, how better to bring a native child back to his home with a draft day trade! You think they would ask for Laughton, do you give him up for Ryan though? He really is our only top end forward prospect. It could be a defense trade though as well. They need top 4 defenders, and we have some actually. Grossmann++, or Coburn for Ryan? Remember Anaheim reportedly wanted Coburn+ our 1st. Great no trade from Homer. That would be over payment.

I am trying to find teams that will be in the need of a shake up and the end of the year. Teams who expectations are high but have been struggling badly. Three teams immediately come to mind, Nashville, Edmonton, Winnipeg. All thee teams have one good thing working in our favor, they are in the opposite conference. Big trades generally involve a swap between them, they usually don't happen in conference. Off season especially.

Also think the trade deadline deals might begin a little earlier than the Olympics this year. Will give a team and extra two weeks when the break is over for a team to gain chemistry with the new team. I think we could see a couple of big moves before the break.

Last edited by Prongo: 01-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
People around here would be so angry if we trade for him. If he becomes available do you throw your first rounder+ at Ottawa for him. It will need to start there, how better to bring a native child back to his home with a draft day trade! You think they would ask for Laughton, do you give him up for Ryan though? He really is our only top end forward prospect. It could be a defense trade though as well. They need top 4 defenders, and we have some actually. Grossmann++, or Coburn for Ryan? Remember Anaheim reportedly wanted Coburn+ our 1st. Great no trade from Homer. That would be over payment.

I am trying to find teams that will be in the need of a shake up and the end of the year. Teams who expectations are high but have been struggling badly. Three teams immediately come to mind, Nashville, Edmonton, Winnipeg. All thee teams have one good thing working in our favor, they are in the opposite conference. Big trades generally involve a swap between them, they usually don't happen in conference. Off season especially.
Honestly I would love to steal Montreal's 1st for Vinny. Then trade their first and our first for Ryan and roll with

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Laughton-Hall
Rinaldo
Rosehill

Old
01-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Honestly I would love to steal Montreal's 1st for Vinny. Then trade their first and our first for Ryan and roll with

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Laughton-Hall
Rinaldo
Rosehill
I don't think Vinny gets traded unless he asks to be moved, which I think is unlikely after the first year here. He is still suffering from his injuries, especially the back, which is hurting his play. Love his heart though, and when healthy he still will provide 50 points on the season. Just not this year.

One major problem I have is our second powerplay unit. We need a player who is comfortable running it. They don't have chemistry. Bringing in another top 6 forward would give us the ability to move some pieces around to make both units effective.

Also, if we do find a way to steal another 1st rounder, I would like to keep one and target Haydn Fluery. Kid has size, skating, and is physical. You would think the Flyers would eventually hit with one of our top prospect defenders right??

Old
01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Winnipeg is the team I would target. They have 3 right handed top 4 defenseman in Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba with Zach Redmond and Paul Postma in the wings. They won't be trading Trouba for cost reason. I would think they would like to move Byfuglien instead of Bogosian but I don't think they will get the return they think for him. He loses as many games as he wins and being 29 at season end, I don't see him changing much. Bogosian is who I would target. His injury history is a cause for concern but a top pair of Coburn Bogosian, though not elite, is certainly average to above average. It would cost the Schenns I would think, maybe a secondary piece too like 2-3 rd pick or Cousins or Leier since you really have to overpay for defensemen but his cap hit is only $1.5 million more than Luke Schenn for the next 6 years. That leaves the flyers even more cap space to play with and could conceivably bring in a Moulson or another defenseman like MacDonald or Stralman. Sucks losing b. Schenn but you have to give to get.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Raffl-Couturier-Read
McGinn-Laughton-Hall
Rinaldo
Rosehill
Why trade two firsts for essentially one year early of Bobby Ryan? The flyers need those 1st rd picks for cheap players if they intend to sign him and keep Voracek. You would be looking at a top line all making over $7+ mil a year in 2016.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Why trade two firsts for essentially one year early of Bobby Ryan? The flyers need those 1st rd picks for cheap players if they intend to sign him and keep Voracek. You would be looking at a top line all making over $7+ mil a year in 2016.
You are right. It's probably better to wait. Hopefully Raffl can establish himself as good second liner that can play with Giroux or schenn can make the switch to wing to play on that line. Although schenn looks way better at center

Last edited by FLYERSFAN18: 01-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Winnipeg is the team I would target. They have 3 right handed top 4 defenseman in Byfuglien, Bogosian, Trouba with Zach Redmond and Paul Postma in the wings. They won't be trading Trouba for cost reason. I would think they would like to move Byfuglien instead of Bogosian but I don't think they will get the return they think for him. He loses as many games as he wins and being 29 at season end, I don't see him changing much. Bogosian is who I would target. His injury history is a cause for concern but a top pair of Coburn Bogosian, though not elite, is certainly average to above average. It would cost the Schenns I would think, maybe a secondary piece too like 2-3 rd pick or Cousins or Leier since you really have to overpay for defensemen but his cap hit is only $1.5 million more than Luke Schenn for the next 6 years. That leaves the flyers even more cap space to play with and could conceivably bring in a Moulson or another defenseman like MacDonald or Stralman. Sucks losing b. Schenn but you have to give to get.
I do not want to go anywhere near Buff, and I just don't think Bogo is going to be available. He seems to really like Winnipeg and he didn't take too long to re-sign up their if memory serves me right in the off-season. Now, of course the GM might think he needs to shake up the core, but I would be very reluctant to give B Schenn up for anything other than a #1 defender. Bogo just isn't that yet. He is still extremely young though and could become a #1 here.

There really is no telling what is being discussed around the league. It seems like there isn't any rumors coming out about the Flyers or any other teams yet either. We are creeping closer and closer to the OB and deadline, something has to give soon one would think. Florida and Calgary are two other teams that might need a shake up as well.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I do not want to go anywhere near Buff, and I just don't think Bogo is going to be available. He seems to really like Winnipeg and he didn't take too long to re-sign up their if memory serves me right in the off-season. Now, of course the GM might think he needs to shake up the core, but I would be very reluctant to give B Schenn up for anything other than a #1 defender. Bogo just isn't that yet. He is still extremely young though and could become a #1 here.
There are so few "number 1" defensemen in the league, they really aren't for sale. Bogosian is the best you could probably get and to your point he probably won't even be available. Number 1 centers and number 1 defensemen are so few and far between you really can only acquire them in the draft because nobody is giving them up. 2nd level guys or guys who haven't established themselves yet are the only ones available. I can think of only two number 1 centers or number 1 defensemen that have been traded in the past decade that were established when they moved: Joe Thornton and Chris Pronger.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Being realistic, these guys barring a trade will likely be on the roster next year:

Schenn ($2.9m)/Giroux ($8.275m)/Voracek ($4.25m)
Hartnell ($4.75m)/Lecavalier ($4.5m)/Simmonds ($3.975m)
Raffl ($1m)/Couturier ($1.75m)/Read ($3.625m)
Rinaldo ($750k)/Laughton ($894.167K)/Rosehill ($675k)
xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxx/Coburn ($4.5m)
Streit ($5.25m)/Grossmann ($3.5m)
Schenn ($3.6m)/Gustafsson ($1.1m)

Mason ($4.5m)
xxxxxx

IR:

Pronger ($4.941m)

Tied up:

$64,735,595 (inc Pronger)
$59,794,167 (Pronger LTIR)

That would give them $11,305,833 once Pronger is LTIRed for a forward, 1 top 4 D, a #7 and backup. (working off $71.1million cap)
It doesn't really work like that. Any good free agent is going to sign in July, they aren't going to wait around till the Flyers can put Pronger on LTIR at the end of training camp to sign with the Flyers. Once Pronger is on LTIR they can call up guys like Hall and Alt and sign cheap/crap players like Hall Gill to fill out the roster, but they won't be getting anyone good.

So the Flyers can only afford one big FA signing at around $6m even if they let Downie walk. I would try and get Mase down to three or four years at $4m and go with Heeter or another cheap backup goalie.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.900m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($1.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Jay Rosehill ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.000m)
Cal Heeter ($0.874m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,109,720; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,990,280

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It doesn't really work like that. Any good free agent is going to sign in July, they aren't going to wait around till the Flyers can put Pronger on LTIR at the end of training camp to sign with the Flyers. Once Pronger is on LTIR they can call up guys like Hall and Alt and sign cheap/crap players like Hall Gill to fill out the roster, but they won't be getting anyone good.

So the Flyers can only afford one big FA signing at around $6m even if they let Downie walk. I would try and get Mase down to three or four years at $4m and go with Heeter or another cheap backup goalie.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.900m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Michael Raffl ($1.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Scott Laughton ($0.894m) / Jay Rosehill ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.100m) / Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.000m)
Cal Heeter ($0.874m)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,109,720; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,990,280
This is correct. Also is the reason why I think we could see a trade before the off season starts. Hartnell/Coburn/Grossmann are players I could see on the block. B Schenn might be a trade piece for that reason too. We have too much money tied up right now, especially on defense. We need some cheap players back there. All the more reason why I think Morin makes the team next year.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I do think Alt will have a chance at making the squad next year. Watching him play down in ADK, it is almost like he is a step ahead everyone. His athletic ability is top notch. Still can get out of position at times but overall has been doing a fantastic job.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote