HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2013, 02:12 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers are currently 12-24-3 with a very hard schedule starting on the 31st:

Tue, 31 Dec 2013 Oilers Coyotes
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 Oilers Sharks
Fri, 3 Jan 2014 Oilers Ducks
Sun, 5 Jan 2014 Lightning Oilers
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 Blues Oilers
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 Penguins Oilers
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 Oilers Blackhawks
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 Oilers Stars
Thu, 16 Jan 2014 Oilers Wild
Sat, 18 Jan 2014 Oilers Jets
Tue, 21 Jan 2014 Canucks Oilers
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 Coyotes Oilers
Sun, 26 Jan 2014 Predators Oilers
Mon, 27 Jan 2014 Oilers Canucks
Wed, 29 Jan 2014 Sharks Oilers
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 Oilers Bruins

I would not be surprised if this team were dead last after all that.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 12-24-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old
12-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And still have a crappy unbalanced team for the foreseeable future... The way I look at it is if your happy where this team is in the standings then you dont trade Hall, RNH, Eberle, 1st. If your not happy where we are, then you realize that we need to trade one of those pieces for a major upgrade on d and a 2nd/3rd line 2 way winger/center and both those players need to be under 30.
Keep them all and deal other pieces and go big time after UFA's. You don't trade these kinds of talents away unless you have to.

12-24-2013, 08:36 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Keep them all and deal other pieces and go big time after UFA's. You don't trade these kinds of talents away unless you have to.
exactly, i think people are forgetting how nearly IMPOSSIBLE it is to find players like hall/RNH/eberle/yakupov.... this is doubly true for the oilers who never have any luck in the UFA market

i'm on board with trading the pick this year, but thats more because this draft is weak, and i don't feel like waiting for 3-4 years for the player to become what hall/RNH/eberle already are.... if macT can't get a legit top-3 dman for a top-5 draft pick + somebody like marinicin, then he doesn't deserve to be a GM

Old
12-24-2013, 08:40 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers just have to finish at least 2nd overall and hope no other team but Buffalo picks higher than this team.

We desperately need Ekblad.
ekblad isn't nearly the prospect that larsson or hedman were at the same developmental stage, and those two didnt' exactly light the NHL on fire after making the jump in their draft year... ekblad is NOT the answer to our D-woes, at least not in the next 2-4 years anyhow

Old
12-24-2013, 09:12 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
The other pieces have little value and no big free agents will ever sign here especially with them seeing that there is very little progress being made here.
If the Oilers want a legit top pairing Dman/#2C/#1 goalie, they are likely going to have to trade Eberle, Yakupov or the 1st rounder or just wait on Nurse and/or Ekblad and there's no guarantee that either pan out. Free agents aren't lining up to sign in Edmonton with a losing team and no GM is lining up to give up anything of real value for Gagner, Hemsky, Petry or Klefbom.

Old
12-24-2013, 01:11 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
ekblad isn't nearly the prospect that larsson or hedman were at the same developmental stage, and those two didnt' exactly light the NHL on fire after making the jump in their draft year... ekblad is NOT the answer to our D-woes, at least not in the next 2-4 years anyhow
Is the big knock on Aaron Ekblad his offense abililities?

A lot of scouts say that defensively,he is much better than Seth Jones.

Old
12-24-2013, 01:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Is the big knock on Aaron Ekblad his offense abililities?

A lot of scouts say that defensively,he is much better than Seth Jones.
offensively, he seems to be about the same as seth jones, but they play/played in different leagues, so its tough to compare really

Old
12-24-2013, 01:24 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
offensively, he seems to be about the same as seth jones, but they play/played in different leagues, so its tough to compare really
What are the issues with Ekblad?

If he's not a number 1 defenseman long term,then this draft is going to be pretty weak.

Old
12-24-2013, 01:38 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
What are the issues with Ekblad?

If he's not a number 1 defenseman long term,then this draft is going to be pretty weak.
i think you are misunderstanding what i am saying... i don't doubt that ekblad can become a top-pairing guy, in fact, its very likely that we eventually will

my entire point is that we can't afford to wait for that to happen, so i would rather trade him for a top-pairing guy right now

Old
12-24-2013, 03:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Corey Pronman said he thought Ekblad was already the best of the WJC team d-men.

Old
12-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Bill Waters

vCash: 495
Quote:
i think you are misunderstanding what i am saying... i don't doubt that ekblad can become a top-pairing guy, in fact, its very likely that we eventually will

my entire point is that we can't afford to wait for that to happen, so i would rather trade him for a top-pairing guy right now
If you get a chance to draft a player like Ekblad, you take it.

Old
12-24-2013, 05:05 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Waters View Post
If you get a chance to draft a player like Ekblad, you take it.
Hopefully he doesn't play too well so the Sabres take him first overall.

We'll then have to take Reinhart.

Old
12-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Bill Waters

Quote:
Hopefully he doesn't play too well so the Sabres take him first overall.

We'll then have to take Reinhart.
If ever there was a season to truly tank, then this is the one. I really think this kid will be something special. This is why I do the Tank Watch: IssHockey on Ekblad- "Everything on the blueline; commands PP point to shutting down top offensive threats. Is NHL ready." - Dec. 18th, 2013.

Old
12-24-2013, 05:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

He'd make an immediate impact. There's no need to wait around

12-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Oh look, it's Magic Bean Chaser coming out again.

Old
12-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Bill Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Top five picks are hardly magic beans.

Old
12-24-2013, 09:21 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I know people say it's just another magic bean... but where would the Oilers be without their past magic beans? They'd have literally nothing without players like Hall/RNH/Yak... they'd be a team still spinning their wheels missing the playoffs every year AND with no hope of real improvement going forward.

These elite players they pick up are their only chance at success down the road... surround them with decent role players and secondary talent (the job for a new management group) and let them all develop chemistry together. That is literally the only formula for possible success in Edmonton... nothing else will work and give them a legit chance at perennial contender status.

Edit... without those magic beans... the Oilers would be the Flames. A lunchpail team that works hard but never gets anywhere and who's future looks dim at best... maybe an overachieving 8th place finish every 3 or 4 years where they squeak in and bow out in the 1st round.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 12-24-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old
12-24-2013, 10:05 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I'd much rather magic beans than the rotten beans we have right now (Gagner+Hemsky+J Schultz)

Drafting Ekblad gives us an NHL ready top 4 dman with Norris trophy potential, there's a reason why he's the first defenceman to ever be granted exceptional status in the OHL. Him and Nurse could grow into one of the most intimidating top pairings in the NHL. It would give us a top pairing where both players are smooth skaters, very physical, capable of moving the puck, and sound positionally.

Drafting Reinhart gives us a player who is everything Sammy Snowpants is not plus more offence. He basically looks like a right handed version of RNH, but trades some agility (which is still excellent) for more strength/toughness. It would give us a 1-2 punch down the middle where both players are shifty skaters, strong on the puck, high hockey IQ, and responsible defensively.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:09 PM
armandh01

Quote:

Sorry but we aren't getting a good enough top pairing Dman for the pick. I'd sooner trade a RWer for that Dman than give up a future top pairing dman.

Old
12-24-2013, 10:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Sorry but we aren't getting a good enough top pairing Dman for the pick. I'd sooner trade a RWer for that Dman than give up a future top pairing dman.
Agreed. If Doughty/OEL/Pietrangelo etc are on the table, sure. But we're much more likely looking at an unestablished player who's starting to bust a bit (like Cowen or Gubranson) or someone that's at best, a poor #2 (like Tyutin). Why would a team give up their #1 dman in the hopes that they'll get a marginally better #1 dman who will come with growing pains?

Old
12-24-2013, 11:08 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Agreed. If Doughty/OEL/Pietrangelo etc are on the table, sure. But we're much more likely looking at an unestablished player who's starting to bust a bit (like Cowen or Gubranson) or someone that's at best, a poor #2 (like Tyutin). Why would a team give up their #1 dman in the hopes that they'll get a marginally better #1 dman who will come with growing pains?
I think the Oilers need to look at free agency for gems they can offer a decent amount of cash for to entice. I know some want Phaneuf but that is unlikely. Andrew MacDonald eats a ton of minutes and is pretty good example of someone we should be interested in. Maybe find a shutdown D to pair or Petry to suffice . Then have a bottom pair of maybe Klefbom - Ekblad or something along those lines. Depending on how they develop the rest of the year.

We would have a stupendous future Dcore.

Klefbom - Ekblad
Nurse - Schultz

Old
12-24-2013, 11:14 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
I think the Oilers need to look at free agency for gems they can offer a decent amount of cash for to entice. I know some want Phaneuf but that is unlikely. Andrew MacDonald eats a ton of minutes and is pretty good example of someone we should be interested in.
There's LOTS of guys we could potentially take a run at in free agency instead of trading the pick. Even Willie Mitchell could give us a solid option on the 2nd pairing for a couple years. It'll be interesting to see who all is retained

Old
12-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The other pieces have little value and no big free agents will ever sign here especially with them seeing that there is very little progress being made here.
If the Oilers want a legit top pairing Dman/#2C/#1 goalie, they are likely going to have to trade Eberle, Yakupov or the 1st rounder or just wait on Nurse and/or Ekblad and there's no guarantee that either pan out. Free agents aren't lining up to sign in Edmonton with a losing team and no GM is lining up to give up anything of real value for Gagner, Hemsky, Petry or Klefbom.
We need a 2C and more solid defensemen period. That said most teams don't move the higher end players in these positions for picks. You take whichever of the two you can this year and add them to Nurse and the core that we already have and add a **** ton of solid supporting players. When we have a respectable team that is just 1 2C or 1 1/2D from contending then the big fishes will take us seriously on July 5th. I'm not interested in moving an Ekblad or Reinhart for a #3 defenseman.

Old
12-25-2013, 01:21 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
I think the Oilers need to look at free agency for gems they can offer a decent amount of cash for to entice. I know some want Phaneuf but that is unlikely. Andrew MacDonald eats a ton of minutes and is pretty good example of someone we should be interested in. Maybe find a shutdown D to pair or Petry to suffice . Then have a bottom pair of maybe Klefbom - Ekblad or something along those lines. Depending on how they develop the rest of the year.

We would have a stupendous future Dcore.

Klefbom - Ekblad
Nurse - Schultz
Oh look! Klefbom is a top-pairing defenseman!

I know that's what we're all hoping, but he's got to show it first. Not sure how he's doing in the AHL but I'm sure he's got some work to do to become a serviceable NHL defenseman, let alone where you've got him there.

Old
12-25-2013, 03:20 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This is the exact reason I said earlier that to get a true #1 it'll cost us Eberle plus the 1st.

Closed Thread