HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XII

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2013, 12:13 AM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
Doesn't Weber have a NTC now, or am I making that up?
He does not have a NTC.
I believe the initial contract signed with the Flyers contained one but for some strange reason if teams match an OS, it's only term, money and the structure of the contract, no extra clauses.

Old
12-25-2013, 01:34 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I may be wrong on this but Webers contract might not be that bad. If we can get Nashville to retain 50% on a Webers contract starting in 2018 til the end of his contract, wouldn't that makes his caphit ~3.9 million during the last 8 years Of his contract? By then the actual salaries are only 6mil (4years), 3 mil (1year), and 1mil (3 years). Nashville would be paying an average of 3.375 a year for a 3.9 caphit. That helps them reach the cap floor during those years while paying less than the actual caphit and getting Webers big salary years off the books. It helps us get Weber for half the price when he's in his decling years and the big money he's owed in his early years isn't a problem to this ownership.

I'm not sure if all this is allowed though. Someone with more knowledge of this situation feel free to correct me.

Old
12-25-2013, 04:19 AM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
If Weber is available Homer NEEDS to be all over this.

I'd offer the Schenns first and add from there with picks or prospects.

Next year S.Weber would replace Timonen and M. Alt take L.Schenn's place.

Resigning Downie would complete our top-9 in the O.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Downie
VandeVelde-Hall-Rinaldo

Weber-Coburn
Streit-Grossmann
M.Alt-Gustaffson

And we'd still have to fit in Laughton and may have the option to sign a FA winger.

Anyway, point is, if Weber is up for grabs, Flyer better be in it. He is exactly and by far what this team needs. A number one, right-handed, playmaking defender with a booming shot with at least 6-7 years of high quality hockey left.

Old
12-25-2013, 04:48 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
If Weber is available Homer NEEDS to be all over this.

I'd offer the Schenns first and add from there with picks or prospects.

Next year S.Weber would replace Timonen and M. Alt take L.Schenn's place.

Resigning Downie would complete our top-9 in the O.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Read-Couturier-Downie
VandeVelde-Hall-Rinaldo

Weber-Coburn
Streit-Grossmann
M.Alt-Gustaffson

And we'd still have to fit in Laughton and may have the option to sign a FA winger.

Anyway, point is, if Weber is up for grabs, Flyer better be in it. He is exactly and by far what this team needs. A number one, right-handed, playmaking defender with a booming shot with at least 6-7 years of high quality hockey left.
Agree with everything. But Weber is not a playmaking defender. I haven't seen the Preds much this year, but I think what they really miss is Suter's passing. We'd still have to look for another guy who can make plays. Matt Carle would be an awesome partner for Weber.

Also the Preds won't take dollars off of Weber's cap hit.
If Poile sends a mail around the league today saying Weber is available, he'll get calls from 29 teams. Holmgren asking about retaining Weber's cap hit would do nothing but throw him out of contention.

Old
12-25-2013, 05:08 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

With the projected increase in the Cap in the coming years (new TV deal etc) Weber's hit of $7,857,143 will appear like a bargain if he holds up.

The question is what would have to go back assuming the Preds will be looking for scoring.

Old
12-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

If Nashville was ever to trade Weber, they should call Homer first. Everyone on here says that's stupid, but Homer would still pay an arm and a leg for Weber if he was ever made available. You know he won't be trade west, so that cuts half the teams in half there. A lot of teams will call, but what other teams could legitimately offer a package like the Flyers and not kill their pro team? There isn't many. Also what team feels they are a Shea Weber away from being an excellent team? Homer and the Flyers. Can the Isles say that? I don't think so.

Where is this rumor from also?

Old
12-25-2013, 09:46 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If Nashville was ever to trade Weber, they should call Homer first. Everyone on here says that's stupid, but Homer would still pay an arm and a leg for Weber if he was ever made available. You know he won't be trade west, so that cuts half the teams in half there. A lot of teams will call, but what other teams could legitimately offer a package like the Flyers and not kill their pro team? There isn't many. Also what team feels they are a Shea Weber away from being an excellent team? Homer and the Flyers. Can the Isles say that? I don't think so.

Where is this rumor from also?
I'd say the Capitals are another team he'd push over the top.

A top-4 of Weber,Green, Carlson and Alzner plus OV and Backstrom with company up-front is really scary to think of.

Ofc, if none of them would go back the other way.

Old
12-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Mota

I still think the Weber offer sheet was a brilliant move by Homer and that it was incredibly stupid for Nashville to match it. I still would love to see Shea here.

Old
12-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Most I'd give is the Schenn+Schenn+Hagg or Ghost+pick.

If he retires when he's 38, the cap recapture wouldn't be too terrible. And with the cap rising, his cap hit won't be anything worse than Timonen's cap hit looks right now even if he plays out the entire deal.

I doubt they'd go for the above offer, and I doubt there wouldn't be other teams matching it. Just because he's got a big cap hit doesn't mean teams aren't going to be lining up for his services. It's not like he's regressed.

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Downie
Simmonds-Lecavalier-Hartnell
Rinaldo-Hall-VandeVelde

Weber-Coburn
Timonen-Grossmann
Streit-Gustafsson
Kimmo would need to be replaced by someone a lot cheaper.

FORWARDS
Michael Raffl ($1.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Steve Downie ($3.650m)
Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.700m) / Chris VandeVelde ($0.650m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.500m) / Mark Alt ($0.782m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($3.500m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,005,238; BONUSES: $118,333
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $94,762

Last edited by Curufinwe: 12-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old
12-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Ryker

I like rankings and flag countries, so I figured I'd make a table of this season's goalie save percentages by country up to this date

Next up: countries by +/-

Old
12-25-2013, 01:17 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Kimmo would need to be replaced by someone a lot cheaper.

FORWARDS
Michael Raffl ($1.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Steve Downie ($3.650m)
Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.750m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Adam Hall ($0.700m) / Chris VandeVelde ($0.650m)
DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Erik Gustafsson ($1.500m) / Mark Alt ($0.782m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($3.500m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.800m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,005,238; BONUSES: $118,333
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $94,762
I like that lineup. It gives room for our prospects to get into the lineup and the offense isn't torn apart. Plus the thought of a Coburn - Weber pairing gets me excited.

Old
12-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I like rankings and flag countries, so I figured I'd make a table of this season's goalie save percentages by country up to this date

Next up: countries by +/-
So Sweden have finally fell back to their old place on the goalie table now Lundqvist is looking human!

I remember on the old NHL games (~1998-2005) Sweden had an amazing team every year... minus the goaltending. Tommy Salo being your best goaltender was never really elite goaltending... (and they had to steal him from Finland ;p) though he did have a few good years, and when he was hot he was unbeatable at times.

Old
12-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
So Sweden have finally fell back to their old place on the goalie table now Lundqvist is looking human!

I remember on the old NHL games (~1998-2005) Sweden had an amazing team every year... minus the goaltending. Tommy Salo being your best goaltender was never really elite goaltending... (and they had to steal him from Finland ;p) though he did have a few good years, and when he was hot he was unbeatable at times.
Yeah, I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from these statistics, but it was interesting seeing Sweden finish last, nonetheless. I namely always had this idea of Swedes, on average, outperforming the US and Canadians in goal, but it doesn't look like it at this point (Russians are still better than everyone else, though ). Even more interesting from the perspective that it might still be a bit "easier" for North Americans to enter the NHL, which should even further lower the numbers for those two as compared to Sweden.

Old
12-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...-edmonton.html

Quote:
1. Another thing MacTavish will do - if he hasn't already - is call Nashville Predators capo David Poile and say, "If you decide to trade No. 6, I'm in. I've got what you want. There's no better fit in the league." The Predators had no choice but to match the Philadelphia Flyers' offer sheet for Shea Weber. They needed control of the asset and credibility among the fan base after losing Ryan Suter. But things are changing in Tennessee.

2. The market is restless. The Predators were ecstatic to draft Seth Jones. But it meant not getting a highly skilled forward, which was the original plan. If a Weber package includes one of Edmonton's recent first-round picks (not Yakupov after the Alexander Radulov experiment) and this year's first-rounder, you can sell that. Of course, Edmonton will have 28 competitors if this scenario becomes reality.

5. Poile would like to do something. "We would make a move if appropriate," he said last Friday. "We're very, very disappointed ... Our forwards are not performing to the level of expectations. We need a shakeup. Everyone wants to give you a player, not take back." People will ask, so let's make this clear: Poile did not discuss trading Weber.
Go after Weber. Poile will never admit to talking about him in trade(same as when we offer sheeted them) the trade talks were never known until afterwards. He keeps it to the chest, and we have pieces to make it happen. I don't ever see Nashville trading him in conference, that would be a terrible move.

Old
12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

I'd be all for getting Weber. He and Coburn together would be sweet.

Old
12-26-2013, 06:27 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...-edmonton.html

Go after Weber. Poile will never admit to talking about him in trade(same as when we offer sheeted them) the trade talks were never known until afterwards. He keeps it to the chest, and we have pieces to make it happen. I don't ever see Nashville trading him in conference, that would be a terrible move.
Weber to Edmonton would be huge if the Oilers could keep Hall and RNH. Eberle + one of Klefbom or Marincin + 1st would be a stupendous deal for the Oilers. Weber - J. Schultz could be a great top pairing, and then match Ference with Petry, and Belov with Larsen/N.Schultz/Potter to round out the D.

However, if Holmgren decides to up the ante, even if it took the Schenns + Simmonds, that leaves the two top lines (Lecavalier - Giroux - Voracek / Downie - Couturier - Read) intact as well as Hartnell and Raffl in anticipation of Laughton joining the club next season as a theoretical third line. And 3 roster players is an overpayment, despite the low value many put on L Schenn.

On D, though, the Flyers get much better: Weber - Coburn / Timonen - Grossmann / Streit - Gustafsson/Meszaros for this season, and adjust to Timonen's retirement.

It's definitely tempting.

Old
12-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

I honestly just can't see them trading weber in conference. I sure as hell wouldn't if I was their GM

Old
12-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Dupuis might be out for the season, forcing Shero to acquire a legit winger for Sid. That's a bit scary actually.

Old
12-27-2013, 02:54 PM
UKFlyers

I guess the question with Poile and Weber is how much does pride come into it. I'm sure the Flyers would offer more than the vast majority of the league, if not everyone. Plus, they're one of the teams who can take on that contract without it crippling them financially. Plus, trading to the Flyers gets him out of the West.

However, I don't think he'd do it. Trading Weber for what would be a significant reduction on their asking price 2 years ago purely because of the Flyers offersheet would be a huge dent to Polie's and Nashville's pride. But, if they want to get the maximum value possible without trading him out West, the Flyers will certainly be the team to provide it. IMO of course.

Old
12-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
I guess the question with Poile and Weber is how much does pride come into it. I'm sure the Flyers would offer more than the vast majority of the league, if not everyone. Plus, they're one of the teams who can take on that contract without it crippling them financially. Plus, trading to the Flyers gets him out of the West.

However, I don't think he'd do it. Trading Weber for what would be a significant reduction on their asking price 2 years ago purely because of the Flyers offersheet would be a huge dent to Polie's and Nashville's pride. But, if they want to get the maximum value possible without trading him out West, the Flyers will certainly be the team to provide it. IMO of course.
Honestly, if the Flyers were the best offer by enough margin to ignore the same conference issues, I'm sure Poile makes the deal. Unfortunately, I don't know that we could or would make the best offer without setting ourselves back significantly in other areas. We need to do a better job of drafting and developing talent to be able to make moves like a Weber trade.

Old
12-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Dupuis might be out for the season, forcing Shero to acquire a legit winger for Sid. That's a bit scary actually.
I'm not one to believe that players totals shoot up with new players regardless of talent levels. So I'm not that scared especially since the best I can imagine them grabbing is another Kunitz level player and it would still cost assets.

Either way, losing Dupuis is a big blow to that team. He's not a great player by any standard, but he definitely is able to step in and out of that top six without looking too out of place. He's also one of their better options at wing after Neal. Jokinen is Jokinen and Bennett is still just a rookie and it's not like he's a former first overall or anything either.

Old
12-27-2013, 07:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

John Scott just scored against the Leafs breaking his 165 game goalless streak.

Old
12-27-2013, 08:02 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

I'm in New Hampshire for the weekend so I get I watch the bruins for one of the first times this year. They are the class of the east and it isn't even close. Fast, strong on the puck, they've flat out dominated Ottawa tonight after a slow first. Only reason it's not a blowout is Lehner.

Old
12-27-2013, 08:34 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Side note. Boston has the worst announcers. It's one thing to be biased but at least call the game right. Mcquaid slew foots conacher and all the boston guy says is "oh conacher has gone down easy tonight". Brutal.

Old
12-27-2013, 08:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

7-1 Hawks now.

Closed Thread